NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave Bailey - my quickest UK customer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:56 am 
Wizard

An alternative to full skulls that I have read about is a "bowtie" insert.this replaces and ties together the 2 exhaust seats.

I might try that one myself,I'm sure Phil can help me with that.Assisted him in the past when he had a new skull fitted,lots of work involved no doubt but ultimately worth it.

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
The original failures were due to;

1) The first failure was due to a big end bearing failure (due to age) not being picked up on whilst being dyno tested (due to the extreme noise of the exhaust) and being run for long enough for the piston to SERIOUSLY smash the hell out of the combustion chamber and valves.

2) The second was caused by my EX mechanic IGNORING my instructions about which pistons to use and instead of fitting the matched set of 4 that I instructed him to fit, he fitted 2 pairs from 2 different sets without my knowledge. The pair he fitted against my instructions, didn't have big enough valve cut outs to clear the valves at full chat, so although there SEEMED to be clearance when checked after the build, as soon as Dave gave it some big licks, the excessive clearance on the valve stems (due to age yet again), allowed the valves to rock and make contact with the piston, once again leading to serious head damage.

3) The third was caused by a mistake with the head gasket assembly due to the replacement head having been modified in such a way that the head studs were free to wobble about excessively. This resulted in the combustion ring sitting offset to the bore by ALMOST AN INCH which meant the head was lifted in the middle by the thickness of the gasket while the other side of the gasket ran across the bore of the cylinder.
Believe it or not, I think it was in this condition when it ran it's quickest times, so you can imagine what it would have done had it not had this problem.
However, instead of a 6 sec run we ended up with another wrecked head.

So there we were with ALL 3 heads WRECKED BIG TIME and desperate to get something sorted, so we had all 3 ‘repaired’ over as quick a period of time as possible.
Unfortunately, after a comment/observation Dave made about a CRACK in the head he was using (between the exhaust valves), I was 99.9% CERTAIN that melt downs that happened AFTER THE HEAD REPAIRS (which happened DESPITE the mixture being believed to be too rich), were ACTUALLY caused by the heads not being repaired correctly and/or the heads (valves) not being assembled correctly.

I never was convinced that such damage could be caused by being OVER RICH, ESPECIALLY BY A RELATIVELY SMALL AMOUNT and a cracked head with badly seated valves, is a much more realistic explanation.
Whilst the Lambda sensor was showing rich OVERALL, it is more than possible for ONE or TWO cylinders to run lean, due to cracks and/or leaking valve seats and not be detected.

Now some people will no doubt accuse me of trying to shift the blame away from the nitrous system but I’M the ONLY person who knows ALL THE FACTS and has the EXPERIENCE to judge the OVERALL run of events CORRECTLY, so **** em!!!

If I had ANY doubt about the above run of events and thought the REVO system was in ANY WAY to blame for ANY failure, I MOST CERTAINLY WOULD NOT be supplying a replica of the system to a TOP US Pro Mod customer, YOU CAN BE SURE OF THAT!!!!

Who the bloody hell was building these engines?? These are all schoolboy apprentice level mistakes, sorry, not even mistakes, complacency is probably a better word. At this level of the game anyone within 10ft of that engine should be fully competent race engine builder or shot!! I understand mistakes can happen under pressure trying to get a rebuild in time for next round but to get to the dyno room with a fooked crank is unbeleivable. I would certainly be looking to those that had hands on spanners to voluntarily dissappear of the face of the planet on a permanent basis. Start to finish thats downright shoddy!!!! Yes i use 2nd hand parts, but not if they're out of spec, valves guides arent much of a job to change, and would certainly inspect them at the same time as valve springs being measured up etc as these sorts of things are what you would expect in a fully rebuilt engine, same as crank being stripped and fully rebuilt. All very amateurish and not what i'd expect from a comp or funny bike team looking to set the class on fire!!

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

That wasn't the case in the majority of instances (for example the crank failed ON the dyno AFTER NUMEROUS BALLS OUT RUNS, NOT PRIOR to going on and it all felt good prior to being assembled) but as just stated in another thread, I'm currently too busy to give you a full explanation just now, so if you can remind me when I get back to having some time, I'll deal with your points.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 pm 
Learner

suzook12 wrote:
Noswizard wrote:
The original failures were due to;

1) The first failure was due to a big end bearing failure (due to age) not being picked up on whilst being dyno tested (due to the extreme noise of the exhaust) and being run for long enough for the piston to SERIOUSLY smash the hell out of the combustion chamber and valves.

2) The second was caused by my EX mechanic IGNORING my instructions about which pistons to use and instead of fitting the matched set of 4 that I instructed him to fit, he fitted 2 pairs from 2 different sets without my knowledge. The pair he fitted against my instructions, didn't have big enough valve cut outs to clear the valves at full chat, so although there SEEMED to be clearance when checked after the build, as soon as Dave gave it some big licks, the excessive clearance on the valve stems (due to age yet again), allowed the valves to rock and make contact with the piston, once again leading to serious head damage.

3) The third was caused by a mistake with the head gasket assembly due to the replacement head having been modified in such a way that the head studs were free to wobble about excessively. This resulted in the combustion ring sitting offset to the bore by ALMOST AN INCH which meant the head was lifted in the middle by the thickness of the gasket while the other side of the gasket ran across the bore of the cylinder.
Believe it or not, I think it was in this condition when it ran it's quickest times, so you can imagine what it would have done had it not had this problem.
However, instead of a 6 sec run we ended up with another wrecked head.

So there we were with ALL 3 heads WRECKED BIG TIME and desperate to get something sorted, so we had all 3 ‘repaired’ over as quick a period of time as possible.
Unfortunately, after a comment/observation Dave made about a CRACK in the head he was using (between the exhaust valves), I was 99.9% CERTAIN that melt downs that happened AFTER THE HEAD REPAIRS (which happened DESPITE the mixture being believed to be too rich), were ACTUALLY caused by the heads not being repaired correctly and/or the heads (valves) not being assembled correctly.

I never was convinced that such damage could be caused by being OVER RICH, ESPECIALLY BY A RELATIVELY SMALL AMOUNT and a cracked head with badly seated valves, is a much more realistic explanation.
Whilst the Lambda sensor was showing rich OVERALL, it is more than possible for ONE or TWO cylinders to run lean, due to cracks and/or leaking valve seats and not be detected.

Now some people will no doubt accuse me of trying to shift the blame away from the nitrous system but I’M the ONLY person who knows ALL THE FACTS and has the EXPERIENCE to judge the OVERALL run of events CORRECTLY, so **** em!!!

If I had ANY doubt about the above run of events and thought the REVO system was in ANY WAY to blame for ANY failure, I MOST CERTAINLY WOULD NOT be supplying a replica of the system to a TOP US Pro Mod customer, YOU CAN BE SURE OF THAT!!!!

Who the bloody hell was building these engines?? These are all schoolboy apprentice level mistakes, sorry, not even mistakes, complacency is probably a better word. At this level of the game anyone within 10ft of that engine should be fully competent race engine builder or shot!! I understand mistakes can happen under pressure trying to get a rebuild in time for next round but to get to the dyno room with a fooked crank is unbeleivable. I would certainly be looking to those that had hands on spanners to voluntarily dissappear of the face of the planet on a permanent basis. Start to finish thats downright shoddy!!!! Yes i use 2nd hand parts, but not if they're out of spec, valves guides arent much of a job to change, and would certainly inspect them at the same time as valve springs being measured up etc as these sorts of things are what you would expect in a fully rebuilt engine, same as crank being stripped and fully rebuilt. All very amateurish and not what i'd expect from a comp or funny bike team looking to set the class on fire!!

ah the ideal world :) parts are available time is endless and it doesn't all melt anyway.
and team is such a grand sounding word for me and my pair of molegrips :)
Ill make sure I'm on the next drag bike engine building and design class :beatstick: no forget that I think I'll start up my own :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Dave you can't take the blame like that, as our extensive testing on the dyno pushed everything closer to it's limits and left you with even worse parts to have to make do with in the first place.

Add to that the fact that the heads were cracked in a number of incidents and then not repaired correctly, you could only have been left handicapped and fighting the inevitable.

In addition to that all the points you make about the limitations of your situation (all of which I can vouch for) and then the fact that we were using a totally experimental system, that we were unable to be totally confident in as a consequence of so many unknowns and I'd say you/we did rather well to achieve what we did.

Now with some money and a support team it would have been a different story and as ONLY you and I know, we've been up against it more so than anyone else in the world of Drag racing these past 2 years and ONLY someone in Pro Mod could come close to appreciating what competing at such extreme levels involves. So there's NO WAY you should shoulder ANY 'blame' for any short fall in the results you/we achieved, as they were all primarily due to the limitations we were both under and the UNIQUE situation we went through.

If the level of business I've already experienced in the first week of the year is maintained, I'm sure I'll be able to assist you to some degree to improve whatever you need this year and hopefully we'll see the results we both know were only a whisker away last year. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:33 pm 
Wizard

I agree Dave i def dont think you are souly to blame and did remarkably well to get runs and times you did last year ,i think once the built motor was pushed to limit on dyno any runs after that were going to be feking hard work and a bit of a risk, I recon with a good motor for 2010 and knowlege and data gathered from revo testing on your bike and now additional data from other top bikes on revos should put you in a great position for 2010

I hope you manage to get a pucker race motor and have a great 2010

Me im waiting for you to write the book i think it be a remarkable read

Now with the high profile of the revos , could this be the time to partner up with an engin fabricator , as when you make that record breaking pass in 2010 in uk you won and anyone associated with bike going to be very high profile

Respect and good luck for 2010

Tezz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:27 pm 
Learner

Sorry, but i wasnt actually pointing the finger at Dave here, or indeed Trev albeit it was his spanner man that ****ed up, so p'haps as far as that Trev should have ensured that the guy was up to it, but also the dyno man shoulda picked up on the crank on its way out. Even with the noise, with the dyno man on the bike he should have FELT something wasnt right just with the vibration a failing roller bearing makes before it goes.
As a racer i fully understand the pressures in the pits of getting ready for the next run when things arent going right and parts are scarce and you have to make the decision of whether to go again and risk blowing it apart. The experimental side of things is not a prob either, it has to be done to carry the game forward.
The point is, any team is only as strong as its weakest link, and the cheaper option by the look of would have been to pay someone like Pip Higham to go thru the motor rather than rely on a guy clearly not up to it, there is a major difference between a motor of this level than rebuilding a stock engine to stock tolerances as we all appreciate.
In that respect thats what i call amateurish, i was shocked at what i was reading when the pistons etc were mentioned for a team (WON and Dave) who are aiming high to LET those sort of things happen.
For a first season out with experimental equipment i think you all did very well, and yeah, i know weather wise the season was poor for track time, so respect for what achievements were made where they're due along with best wishes for the upcoming season, but to be the best, sometimes you have to use the best too, which would be one reason to use WON gear to start with, but i think on both counts you have to use that philosophy a bit more in other areas to achieve the results the potential can deliver. As weve all found at some point expensive can be cheaper in the long run.

Anyway, hope thats cleared that up a bit and all the best for 6 second runs in 2010

Steve

Noswizard wrote:
Dave you can't take the blame like that, as our extensive testing on the dyno pushed everything closer to it's limits and left you with even worse parts to have to make do with in the first place.

Add to that the fact that the heads were cracked in a number of incidents and then not repaired correctly, you could only have been left handicapped and fighting the inevitable.

In addition to that all the points you make about the limitations of your situation (all of which I can vouch for) and then the fact that we were using a totally experimental system, that we were unable to be totally confident in as a consequence of so many unknowns and I'd say you/we did rather well to achieve what we did.

Now with some money and a support team it would have been a different story and as ONLY you and I know, we've been up against it more so than anyone else in the world of Drag racing these past 2 years and ONLY someone in Pro Mod could come close to appreciating what competing at such extreme levels involves. So there's NO WAY you should shoulder ANY 'blame' for any short fall in the results you/we achieved, as they were all primarily due to the limitations we were both under and the UNIQUE situation we went through.

If the level of business I've already experienced in the first week of the year is maintained, I'm sure I'll be able to assist you to some degree to improve whatever you need this year and hopefully we'll see the results we both know were only a whisker away last year. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Sorry, but i wasnt actually pointing the finger at Dave here, or indeed Trev albeit it was his spanner man that ****ed up, so p'haps as far as that Trev should have ensured that the guy was up to it,
Unfortunately you only discover someone is not up to their job when they make a mistake and up to the point mentioned, he'd built some decent engines for me but for some reason he decided he knew better than I did, when he IGNORED MY ABSOLUTE INSTRUCTION to fit a specific SET of pistons and screwed up Daves engine by fitting odd pistons instead. :x
His name by the way is Steve Martin (a long time Drag racer), who APPEARS to be a nice guy when you meet him but in actual fact is a wolf in sheep's clothing and is IN FACT, A LYING, THIEVING, GOOD FOR NOTHING PIECE OF SCUM, as I found out to my expense after I'd helped him out of a financial crisis, by lending him £15,000 that he then tried to avoid repaying me. :x

but also the dyno man shoulda picked up on the crank on its way out. Even with the noise, with the dyno man on the bike he should have FELT something wasnt right just with the vibration a failing roller bearing makes before it goes.
I can agree to a degree with you on that (and I actually kick myself for not doing the dyno rides myself, as I'd like to think I'd have done exactly as you suggest, especially as I have 1,000s of uneventful dyno runs to my name) but the bike is EXTREMELY noisy (especially when on a dyno in a large open room) and the guy had ear defenders on (something I wish I'd done more often for the good of my hearing, although the lack of them helped me stay in tune with the engine much better), plus he wasn't familiar with bikes of this level of power and when you're adding substantial amounts of nitrous power, this level of destruction only takes A SECOND OR TWO (as Dave can vouch for), so he wouldn't have had much time to react to any indications of an impending failure.

As a racer i fully understand the pressures in the pits of getting ready for the next run when things arent going right and parts are scarce and you have to make the decision of whether to go again and risk blowing it apart. The experimental side of things is not a prob either, it has to be done to carry the game forward.
The point is, any team is only as strong as its weakest link, and the cheaper option by the look of would have been to pay someone like Pip Higham to go thru the motor rather than rely on a guy clearly not up to it, there is a major difference between a motor of this level than rebuilding a stock engine to stock tolerances as we all appreciate.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at the time my guy seemed more than capable of FOLLOWING MY INSTRUCTIONS, which as I've built NUMEROUS reliable race motors over the past 45 years SHOULD HAVE BEEN ALL THAT WAS NEEDED.
Why he thought that fitting 2 pairs of different pistons (albeit it very slightly different) was preferable to fitting THE SET I INSTRUCTED HIM TO FIT, I can't imagine.
Had he not made this STUPID mistake, I believe the majority of the rest of his work was more than adequate (apart from one or two minor issues he didn't make any other mistakes) and Pip would not have built it any better. Furthermore, at the time it was a MUCH quicker option to build it in house than send it out to someone else and I doubt we'd have made ANY races last year if we'd had to rely on Pip (or the like), because we had MAJOR hold ups even doing it ourselves, due to delays caused by Roger Upperton in getting head work done and parts supplied as it was.

In that respect thats what i call amateurish, i was shocked at what i was reading when the pistons etc were mentioned for a team (WON and Dave) who are aiming high to LET those sort of things happen.
It wasn't "amateurish" it was plain STUPID and entirely the responsibility of THE FOOL who did it AGAINST my instructions. What annoyed me most was the fact that he'd suggested doing it beforehand and I STRESSED IN THE STRONGEST POSSIBLE TERMS, THAT HE WAS NOT TO DO THAT AND TO FIT THE FULL SET. Had that IDIOT fitted the right SET of pistons, the failure that set us back would NOT have happened and last years results would have been ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.
Whilst it's NICE to have the best parts in an engine, I've REPEATEDLY PROVEN that even with substandard parts (so long as they are strong enough), it is more than possible to achieve GREAT RESULTS, as long as the engine is built CORRECTLY (as Dave proved in 2007), so I'm not a big believer of spending large sums of money when I've proven it's not needed.

The dyno set back (which was actually still worth the trouble for what we learned from it), would have been the only relatively unavoidable problem of last season and we would have made up for that later in the year, had it not been for the IDIOT with the pistons (because apart from the odd pistons the rest of the motor was in decent condition and built correctly), so the majority of last years problems stem from that one STUPID **** up.

For a first season out with experimental equipment i think you all did very well, and yeah, i know weather wise the season was poor for track time, so respect for what achievements were made where they're due along with best wishes for the upcoming season, but to be the best, sometimes you have to use the best too, which would be one reason to use WON gear to start with, but i think on both counts you have to use that philosophy a bit more in other areas to achieve the results the potential can deliver. As weve all found at some point expensive can be cheaper in the long run.
The INITIAL problem had nothing to do with how much money was spent on the engine (or trying to save money on it, although if I'd told the guy to fit a new set of pistons, no doubt he'd have listened to me more readily and followed those instructions and assuming they'd been machined correctly would have been fine), as the pistons I told him to fit were PERFECTLY OK for the job.
Later problems could have been prevented by spending even more money than we did to have bronze skulls fitted to the heads but we were ASSURED, that the alternative repair method (which cost £1,000s) would be perfectly OK, without resorting to that extent but unfortunately we didn't discover that was NOT the case until much later in the year. :evil:

This year the heads will be crack tested before use, to make sure the repairs are done correctly. I've also looked in to getting a head FULLY SKULLED for Dave in America, so that in the event that the repairs have not been a complete success, we have that option instead.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:06 pm 
Wizard

Any updates on bike , hows the build going any mods or upgrades to engin , whens 1st meet ect ect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

We're just about to send Dave the latest, greatest REVO & Max Extreme technology and he'll be ready to go for the Easter event, assuming the cylinder head crack test turns out OK.

I have advised him to get a snow plough front end added or a set of skies just in case. ;) :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 pm 
Wizard

Cool , shame he could not find a new head tho , LOL i rember last year at easter ffs was still snowing

Well i hope he get it sorted and has a great 2010 so want to see that bike win this year

Go go getem Dave :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

if you haven't seen the following video clip on the new REVO page of my website, then you should enjoy this and it's my hope that dave will be able to start the year with at least one as quick as this and end the year a good 0.3 to 0.5 quicker. :twisted:

http://www.noswizard.com/admin1/videos/ ... %20Pod.wmv

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

If things go outstandingly well with my US trip (as they very well might), I'll be treating Dave to a skulled cylinder head job at the earliest opportunity. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:02 pm 
Wizard

Great clip :yes: :yes: if he gets engin sorted hes got to be in with a great chance this year

Cool im sure new head would be a great relife to dave and remove ther worry about old ones

Big Respect

Tezz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:14 pm 
Wizard

Any news on dave did he run this weekend yet is bike ready :-) i saw from web cam track was open and bikes running altho Nitro FM i could not get to play on PC :-(

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

He intended to and was booked in to do so but he decided to pull out on Thursday after seeing the weather forecast.

Does anyone know what the Pod weather has been like over the past couple of days?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:59 pm 
Learner

cold and windy but dry!!! :( 3 FB rounds so far. No good times though - last round in the dark - could have walked the track quicker... Shame I pulled out but seeing the side wind I'm quite pleased - don't like side wind - fell off due to side wind... :tard:

roll on the summer. saved lots of £ not going this weekend so can do test day :yes:

been making use of the time: spare motor nearly complete. A few bit's short but nothing important ;)

aiming for mid May test day. Hope to get it all together then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 am 
Wizard

Did you get any dyno time in yet or are you doing all testing at track , i saw some of the times at pod and they looked well of mark this weekend so prob wise move not to run mind you easter always has shit weather , well hope 2010 is your year dave best luck with testing keep us updated on your progress

Respect

Tezz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 pm 
Learner

cheers mate. No dyno time this year, think we got it sorted at the end of last year...

weather held out but still no where near ideal. Saved money and didn't damage the bike trying to run quick in the cold... was it the right decision to pull out? probably. Hope to be out for a test day in May then enter the Summer nationals and take it from there.
:yes:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 pm 
Learner

Dave, ya never missed much. Pod treating bikes like 2nd class citizens again, feckin freezin, delay after delay after delay, feckin cold, hardly any track prep compared to normal, feckin cold, oh, and did i mention it was feckin cold? Lol. Even 9.50 were struggling for grip at times, then we'd have to wait 7 hours for another run..... Hohum
Anyways, wise move i reckon, especially if you'd seen Boycee bounce off the walls (SSB), took one either side in 2 runs!!
Roll on summer, both days of it

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:53 pm 
Learner

cheers Steve sounds like it was a fair decision then. Sorry you had a hard time. Don't think I'll bother entering Easter in the future - it'll surely be great weather for you all then (as the world obviously revolves around me! LOL! :sign4: )
:)

roll on the summer :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm 
Learner

LOL, the only time we had good weather at easter was 2007, absolutelutely gorgeous, and blew the engine!!
If you gonna tell me ya wa\snt there that year then i'll believe ya.... :yes:

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 pm 
Wizard

Dave can you please enter the springnationals at shakey on may bankholiday!

I've got to go in for an op on the wednesday before so I've had to cancel my entry.If you enter it'll probably rain all weekend,then I won't have too much catching up to do.

:rofl: :cheers:

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:38 pm 
Learner

Lol! soz I can't make that one - sure to be sunny and great racing!

...sure I was there 2007

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:24 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
if you haven't seen the following video clip on the new REVO page of my website, then you should enjoy this and it's my hope that dave will be able to start the year with at least one as quick as this and end the year a good 0.3 to 0.5 quicker. :twisted:

http://www.noswizard.com/admin1/videos/ ... %20Pod.wmv

judging by the way it sounded..i think you guys need some lower gear on the top end. just my opinion, but some lower gear will def help turn that big ole tire over..

how is the program coming so far??? engine, nos setup etc??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next