NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: WON kit fitting question
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:47 pm 
Learner

Rigged the fuel pipes up on a makeshift bar to keep them level , put a bit of fuel in the tank as it was lower than I thought :redface: up to half full ish now. Ran at just over 100ml per minute with 150 jet and 200+ with the jet out. How does that sound?

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Much better but in theory there isn't enough fuel flow through the 150 jet to make 25 HP but such a flow test doesn't take in to account the increase in vac caused by the nitrous flow in addition to the vac of the engine running, so we normally expect to see an increase in flow when the system is actually in use.

Obviously the flow depends on the amount of fuel in the tank and you need to keep that pretty constant for optimum and repeatable results, plus it's wise to set the mixture to be optimum as the level gets low, to avoid a lean condition if you forget the fuel has dropped to a low level.

What you need to do now is carry out a static test to see what ACTUALLY happens when the system is activated, as thats a far better way to determine the mixture ratio.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:49 pm 
Learner

Just give it a burst of the button as per static test instructions , only a quickie because of neighbour problems with Vance and Hines :D Revved cleanly and very quickly from 3000 revs to above 6000 in an instant! Tank now 3/4 full and flowing 260ml without jets , still just over 100ml with . Am I right to have the black top hat washer in the nitrous elbow only? Thinking , if I need a longer test I`ll do one trackside tomorrow . Or could I risk an 1/8th mile run? and do a plug chop , will be on gas for 4 or 5 seconds . Thanks
Gary et1170

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

et1170 wrote:
Just give it a burst of the button as per static test instructions, only a quickie because of neighbour problems with Vance and Hines :D Revved cleanly and very quickly from 3000 revs to above 6000 in an instant!
That MIGHT be PERFECT.

Tank now 3/4 full and flowing 260ml without jets , still just over 100ml with.
That's fine.

Am I right to have the black top hat washer in the nitrous elbow only?
Yes

Thinking , if I need a longer test I`ll do one trackside tomorrow.
Yes a longer static test would be worthwhile and the aim is to see the rpm rise to JUST BELOW the red line, when holding the switch activated. If it falls short of the red line its too rich and that's the perfect place to start. If it wants to exceed the red line it is either perfect or a bit too lean and although perfect is the ultimate aim, because we can't tell the difference between perfect and a bit too lean, it's best to start from what we KNOW is rich.

Or could I risk an 1/8th mile run? and do a plug chop , will be on gas for 4 or 5 seconds.
[color=#FFFF00]The SAFEST way to track test the mixture is to just use the system for the last couple of seconds and then cut the ignition, do a plug check and if all looks well use the nitrous for 4 seconds and repeat the process, progressively increasing the duration of use until it's used for the full 1/4.
Keep an eye open for the ground electrode starting to round off, as that's the first sign of a lean mixture.[/color

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:32 pm 
Learner

Story of the day today NSA 1/8 mile sprint Tempsford : PB from last year 6.74seconds 99mph . Today a fair head/cross wind so not ideal.
ran no nos , 7.7sec wrong plugs in!! cold ones for nos .
ran no nos , 7.2 sec both high 90 mph terminals .

Did static test with bottle psi at 8500 , with minimax at 60% start . revved from 3000 to about 6000

first nitrous run 6.9 seconds , second 7 seconds, third 6.88 seconds at 102mph . not too bad in conditions but not earth shattering either? chopped ignition at end of third run . blurry pic to follow looks lean to me but not an expert.
Ceramic pure white , sooty around base of plug , grey electrode , but no damage to electrode .
Pressure dropping slowly probably less than 8000psi by end .
Weighed bottle now and used about 1/4 lb of nitrous .
Any conclusions from that lot ? SCR in 3 weeks , possible bottle warmer by then to get rid of one variable .
Thanks Gary et1170.

Attachments:
plugs 002.jpg
plugs 002.jpg [ 104.61 KiB | Viewed 25672 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:50 pm 
Wizard

before ritchard says it...use macro on your camara and you will get lovely sharp plug pics.. :blackeye:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

We'd need to see all 4 plugs and a lot more clearly to be sure but from what I can see they do NOT look lean (if anything they look rich) and the static test result would confirm that (if held long enough to get that result), as you need to see very close to the red line for an optimum result.

What grade of plugs are you using?

Have you checked your spark strength?

What coils and ignition are you using?

When did you activate the system?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

BTW considering the conditions and the fact it's your first use of the system with just 25 HP (at what I believe to be quite rich), I'd say it's a reasonable result and at least a step in the right direction.

One other point I forgot to mention; you should do a run followed by a plug check without nitrous and record the plug colours to compare with those after a nitrous run and you're aiming for them to look the same.
I assume you did kill the ignition AS SOON as you crossed the finish line and pulled the plugs immediately afterwards?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:38 pm 
Learner

Like I said I am no expert with plug chopping. Cut the ignition at end of run , pushed bike back!! got breath back , then whipped em out. Looked the same on a run after not doing the plug chop.
Dyna s ignition with 3ohm green dyna coils , ngk plugs , standard dr8ea , using dr9ea for nos .
Yes the result seemed pretty good for the first proper run , faster terminal into the wind and the bike isn`t very streamlined!
It did run a bit iffy , like it was missing a bit in the higher revs , richness?
it usually runs as sweet as a nut .
Ta Gary.
ps
Probably hit wide open in second gear , had to disconnect shift light and rev limiter cos they were playing up so may have short shifted a bit . All a bit hectic on the bumpy track , not ideal .

Does using 4oz of nitrous seem ok? for probably 10 seconds of use.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:35 am 
Site Admin

et1170 wrote:
Like I said I am no expert with plug chopping. Cut the ignition at end of run , pushed bike back!! got breath back , then whipped em out. Looked the same on a run after not doing the plug chop.
Did you cut the ignition as soon as you released FULL throttle?
As long as the plugs look the same on and off nitrous and the engine/bike performs OK then that's all you want.

Dyna s ignition with 3ohm green dyna coils , ngk plugs , standard dr8ea , using dr9ea for nos .
OK - have you done anything to ensure the leads are CORRECTLY fitted in to the terminals and that the terminals are fully fitted INSIDE the coil towers and have you done anything to improve the sealing of the insulation boots?
Finally have you made sure the wire connectors are pointing away from the coil tower?

It did run a bit iffy , like it was missing a bit in the higher revs , richness?
Yes if the engine felt like it was reluctant to pull higher rpm in higher gears but was fine in lower gears, that's normally a sign of richness, so add that to the static test result and to the plug result and it's looking likely to be rich.

Probably hit wide open in second gear , had to disconnect shift light and rev limiter cos they were playing up so may have short shifted a bit . All a bit hectic on the bumpy track , not ideal.
Considering 1/8 times are even more heavily dependent on the performance over the first 60ft etc. than 1/4 times, the fact that you ran through all of 1st gear WITHOUT nitrous, means the results are even better than would at first be appreciated. Furthermore, poor track conditions are far from being ideal (as you say), for using and assessing a higher power output, as it gets exponentially harder to use more power in such conditions.
All in all it sounds a GOOD result to me.

Does using 4oz of nitrous seem ok? for probably 10 seconds of use.
Near enough!!!
FYI the basic formula is 5lbs / 100 HP / min

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:17 pm 
Learner

Hi , sorry for delay in reply , been otherwise engaged!

I did cut the ignition less than a second after getting off the throttle

The coils are as they came , second hand with taylor leads , have done nothing to confirm the quality of the way they were put together , new leads and redo?

The coil wires point away from the coils

At SCR on the 11th , do you think a jet change is in order and further static test trackside? Slightly up the nitrous :evil: or slightly down the fuel :)

Thanks
Gary.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

et1170 wrote:
The coils are as they came , second hand with taylor leads , have done nothing to confirm the quality of the way they were put together , new leads and redo?
You shouldn't need new leads but you may need new end fittings, as they're often fitted badly and that prevents them being fitted IN TO the coils fully, which then leads to the spark tracking oustide the coil/lead.
If you PM me with your phone number I'll call you to described what's needed.
You should also MEASURE the spark strength with one of these;
http://www.noswizard.com/product_desc.php?id=104

The coil wires point away from the coils
We may need to clarify this.

At SCR on the 11th , do you think a jet change is in order and further static test trackside? Slightly up the nitrous :evil: or slightly down the fuel :)
Ideally you should reduce the fuel until you achieve optimum results then you have the optimum mixture ratio whilst using/wasting minimal amount of nitrous and/or pushing potentially suspect factors (like the ignition) beyond their capability.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:06 pm 
Learner

Hi , I`ve checked out the ht leads , they seem made up ok , but weren`t pushed right into the coils so I pushed them right in and sealed the boots as per conversation. Tried the ignition tester , can only seperate it about 8mm before spark stops , could this be a problem? If so may have to invest in new coils and leads :( The mini dyna coils don`t work with dyna s ignition so may have to be more of the same green dyna coils . Cheers
Gary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 am 
Learner

"Tried the ignition tester , can only seperate it about 8mm before spark stops , could this be a problem? If so may have to invest in new coils and leads "

Gary, your coil/leads combo is highly suspect. For NOS you need to be able to at least get 15mm on the spark tester. The 8mm result could account for your engine misfires on NOS.

World's Fastest 250cc 4stroke in Land Speed Racing
131.8mph 15May2011 Maxton Mile
WON SB25 with Max Extreme

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 pm 
Learner

Given that the ignition test gave a similar result on all four ht leads could it be the Dyna S ignition itself causing the problem or have both the Dyna coils died at the same rate? Thinking either renew coils , ignition , or get a different maybe dyna 2000 ignition and mini coils set up. Has anyone on here had success with the old dyna S and green coils? ie . should new ones give me the required ignition test result as it would be simpler and a bit cheaper to replace whatb is there.
Thanks
Gary et1170.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:08 pm 
Learner

Done some ignition tests this morning ! could any electrical guru give me an idea of what the results may mean.

Dyna coils test . primary resistance 3.9ohms guide 2.9 to 3.2 but may vary.

secondary resistance 15k ohms guide 13.5 to 14.5 ditto.

dyna s ignition test . on the -ve side of the coils there is 1.2volts until the dyna rotates round and kicks in 10.25 volts . battery voltage 12.6 volts

on the switched +ve side of coils there is 9v feeding them which goes to 10.5v when the dyna s rotates past rotor.

the switched live which I have feeding the coils is only therefore reading 9volts!!
when I disconnect the wire and test the wire off of the coil it reads nearly 12 volts.

If anyone understands that lot can they please tell me what it means . :?
Thanks Gary et1170

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:24 pm 
Learner

ok, coils sound good... the discrepancy could be yr meter itself but you should get 12V at the coils. Try running a wire direct from battery and see if that improves the situation. could just be dirty contacts in kill switch etc or corroded wire/terminal somewhere.

If that does improve it, you could use this permanently with a relay switched by original wire.

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:47 pm 
Learner

Tried that Suzook , seemed to work , the battery is at 13v , freshly charged. ran a wire to coil and tested it before connecting to coil and afterwards , read 13v both times . So there is a bit of a problem with the original switched live! Could I just run a wire from the battery on a toggle switch to the coils to get me through Saturday at SCR , as long as I remember to turn it off after runs. Or like you said rig up a relay , although being a electical numptie that could stump me!!!
Will try the ignition tester rigged up to the battery and see if it improves
Thanks Suzook .
Gary et1170

Done the ignition test , no different :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
ok, coils sound good... the discrepancy could be yr meter itself but you should get 12V at the coils. Try running a wire direct from battery and see if that improves the situation. could just be dirty contacts in kill switch etc or corroded wire/terminal somewhere.

If that does improve it, you could use this permanently with a relay switched by original wire.

Steve

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:01 pm 
Learner

So if the coils are ok , and I`ve got 13v supply to them , why only jumping 8mm on the ignition tester?
Gary et1170

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

et1170 wrote:
Tried that Suzook , seemed to work , the battery is at 13v , freshly charged. ran a wire to coil and tested it before connecting to coil and afterwards , read 13v both times . So there is a bit of a problem with the original switched live!
Absolutely right.

Could I just run a wire from the battery on a toggle switch to the coils to get me through Saturday at SCR , as long as I remember to turn it off after runs. Or like you said rig up a relay , although being a electical numptie that could stump me!!!
This simple diagram should sort that for you - I'd avoid the switch idea if you can, because although it will work (assuming you use a suitably high Amp switch), it could end in tears.

Will try the ignition tester rigged up to the battery and see if it improves
Done the ignition test , no different :(
It should have been so you'd better check your HT leads. What brand are they and if they're a resistor type, how much do they measure??

Whatever the case you do NEED 15 mm spark strength (as Jarl stated above) and anything less will produce inferior results.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:53 pm 
Learner

Not sure of lead make , no markings , heres a pic , might help.
Easy to test the leads? or do you mean the arcing in the dark test?

Attachments:
ebayjune11.jpg
ebayjune11.jpg [ 112.92 KiB | Viewed 25306 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:22 pm 
Learner

Just removed one HT lead , poked the ignition tester up! the coil , jumping over 15mm now, new leads soon to be ordered!!

PS 4 Pin 'Normally Open' contact Standard (mini) 30 amp

is this what im after?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:16 am 
Site Admin

et1170 wrote:
Just removed one HT lead , poked the ignition tester up! the coil , jumping over 15mm now, new leads soon to be ordered!!
Excellent news.
2 tips for you;
1) If there's no name or other way to identify a product you can be sure it's JUNK
2) Make sure you get Taylor leads and none resistor type if you can get them.

PS 4 Pin 'Normally Open' contact Standard (mini) 30 amp is this what im after?
Yes that'll do and although it was obviously the leads that were the main cause of the fault, it'd still be wise to do the wiring mod to ensure maximum power to the coils and therefore the spark.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:19 pm 
Learner

Those leads are dyna leads mate.... they're pretty good leads, jus fitted a new set on mine as developed a misfire, £20 and borrowed crimp tool and sorted :D

Is it possible to own too many hammers????