NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 250 Ninja
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 am 
Site Admin

8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm 
Learner

the next bike im building will have 1 revo for the fuel and thats it. not jetting to mess around with. just 1 revo mapped to the tps with an addition chart for adding fuel when the nitrous is on. glad to see ur making progress. i wanna see 160!

btw, with e85 you can change your timing quite a bit, so make sure you take a good look at the plugs to see if you need to move it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 am 
Learner

My next bike will have fuel injection and REVO. But really this is very simple to adjust. And once I get it. I will work from there. It's just that I have never used E85 before. If it proves to much trouble. I will use 112 octane gasoline. I know that works.

From what I am reading the timing can be advanced some over gasoline. But I am not sure about plug heat range. I am going to start with cold plugs and see.

I just got the fuel pump for the carb today. And the new needle seats. I will try to get it together and test it this weekend. I am going to postpone the dyno for a week. Too much to do And I need a couple fittings for the pump.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 pm 
Learner

I have the fuel pump mounted up out of the way. Should be fine there. AN fittings make it easy to work on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 am 
Learner

:cry: I am sorry to say I cant run E 85.
I gave it my best shot and simply cant get enough fuel though the carb to feed the engine above 8000 RPM. I tried everything, The biggest jet I have is 230, I could drill a bigger jet but I don't have reamer that large and it is out of the range I am comfortable with. I will have to wait for fuel injection to run E 85.

I put in 110 octane race gas and re jetted everything and the engine runs great. Going on the dyno in ten days. :bounce:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Is that a vac pump? Are you intending to feed the nitrous system from that?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm 
Learner

Noooo. That pump is just inline with the carb. Since I am back to running gasoline the pump will be a nice addition. I ran the bike with gasoline jets and it had a very nice idle . And great throttle response.

The nitrous is fed from a short 5/16 hose and a 6AN fitting. Gravity feed and lots of vloume.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear it. 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm 
Learner

so.. im just curious.. and this might be a little extreme, but why not lose the fueling through the carbs? block off the jets in the bowl and feed off the revo? you would only need a tps sensor attached to one of the carb rods and if im not mistaken the max already has the power and control necessary to do what needs to be done. (btw, you do have revos dont you? i thought you did anyways)

you could also just convert to a very simple fuel injection system. crank/cam trigger, throttle bodies and injector bosses would be easy enough to source.

i wouldnt stop trying to run the e 85. the power and safety potential of it is so worth it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:54 pm 
Learner

You are correct on most of this. And I am going that way. But not with this bike. My goal for the last six years has been 125 mph on a 250 ninja. Going 123 on the first try with problems gives me confidence that my goal is in reach. So what next my wife asked?

I want to go 137 at Bonneville. 5000 feet above sea level. The bike I have now does not fit me. It has been a constant battle to get me flat and clean aerodynamically.

So I am starting over . This bike is to its limit. I am going to take everything I know and build a larger bike with the same engines I use now. My current bike will retire with over 30 broken records. And just play in the 250 class.

The new bike will be stretched out with a much better cooling system fuel injection REVO and run on E 85. My goal is 150 mph at Bonneville.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:47 pm 
Learner

I have a number 3 engine I am putting together, I think I can run more nitrous through this one. I am building it for a 50 shot.This is the head . I will have a lock up clutch made for that. I will find out the details of that in a little while.

I removed all the ridges and sharp edges around the valves. I really cant wait to see how this runs,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am 
Site Admin

Looking good - can you hog out the exhaust ports any bigger and maybe fit bigger exhaust valves?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:17 am 
Learner

I will open up the exhaust ports a lot. My head tube is from a 500 cc engine. I will have about 4mm of metal to remove. I cant go to bigger valves.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 am 
Learner

I am working on my bike in an unheated garage. I have a little stove but it does very little. I am just remembering the heat of July it was over 100 deg all day. I spent 11 hours in the heat. I cant wait to be back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:29 am 
Learner

head work is not easy. It is just labor intensive. I do a little at a time. This is one exhaust port opened up. the first picture is the stock port I have not done yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm 
Learner

The head is ready for assembly. Now I just have to put it together

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:00 am 
Site Admin

Looks like a post I made yesterday went missing. :x

Glad to hear you're making progress though. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 am 
Learner

I am finishing up the head on the #3 engine. All I need is pistons and gaskets to finish it. That will be a 265cc engine and we can put 50 hp on it when it is done.

My #1 motor is coming along. Bottom end is done . Balanced and Carillo rods. ARP studs. The cams are being made now. That will run with and without nitrous.

And the # 2 engine is in the bike and going on the dyno in two days. The most powerful 250 ninja engine is in Indonesia. It is a turbo and makes 54 hp. I am hoping the nitrous will beat it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
I am finishing up the head on the #3 engine. All I need is pistons and gaskets to finish it. That will be a 265cc engine and we can put 50 hp on it when it is done.
Excellent - I remember when you first came to us and you were worried that you wouldn't have 1 good engine left, never mid having 3, because parts were getting damaged so readily.

And the # 2 engine is in the bike and going on the dyno in two days. The most powerful 250 ninja engine is in Indonesia. It is a turbo and makes 54 hp. I am hoping the nitrous will beat it.
If it doesn't you'll be doing something seriously wrong and I'll have to come over there and do the job myself. :beatstick: ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:12 pm 
Learner

I hope I have everything sorted. I made my last run in September. Since then I replaced all the fuel and nitrous lines with bigger or better stuff. Plus added a fuel pump to the carb. And I thoroughly went through the carb settings. After the E85.

I also have a bottle heater system now.
For the bottle heater I can plug my bike into my van with a special cable. It will charge the bike battery and run the heat for the bottle without having to run the bike. And I figured out how to keep the bike in the heated van at the starting line before I run it. So it will be all warmed up first thing in the morning.

I also changed the oil and plugs

And made new exhaust parts to test on the dyno. I will finally sort out the engine and the open exhaust. Then i will do a static test. Then run a full power test. I can't wait.

As for engine damage. I still have the plugs from last year. Lets see how it holds up on the dyno.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
I hope I have everything sorted. I made my last run in September. Since then I replaced all the fuel and nitrous lines with bigger or better stuff. Plus added a fuel pump to the carb. And I thoroughly went through the carb settings. After the E85.

I also have a bottle heater system now.
For the bottle heater I can plug my bike into my van with a special cable. It will charge the bike battery and run the heat for the bottle without having to run the bike. And I figured out how to keep the bike in the heated van at the starting line before I run it. So it will be all warmed up first thing in the morning.

I also changed the oil and plugs
All sounds good to me

And made new exhaust parts to test on the dyno. I will finally sort out the engine and the open exhaust. Then i will do a static test. Then run a full power test. I can't wait.
Excellent and nor can I.

As for engine damage. I still have the plugs from last year. Lets see how it holds up on the dyno.
I'm CERTAIN that you are now well enough informed and equipped to achieve outstanding and reliable results, so I'm sure you're going to produce some great numbers.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 pm 
Learner

Everything is loaded. I am going at this like its race day. Make or break attitude.

Yes with the help of you and your staff I now feel very confident I can optimize the system.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm 
Learner

before you put that head back on, consider having the chambers and exhaust ports as well as the inside of the pipe ceramic coated. its worth quite a few horsepower, gives you better scavenging and will move the exhaust ALOT better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm 
Learner

I have plans to do that. Not this engine. But the one in the bike . When I pull it for refreshing that will be done.

Having a good time on the dyno. This is a coservitive dyno. I run 34 ph and am only making 31 today. But the torque is up to 16 best ever. That is all motor.

The nitrous is great. 51hp and 22 ft lb of torque. That is with low bottle pressure. I am refilling and going to try to get the 54 hp I am looking for.

About the bottle fill. I converted the fittings on the bottles but did not change the fittings on my full bottle . Haha that is something to sort out later.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Sounding GREAT and I'm SURE you can squeeze those extra few HP out of it AND SOME!!! :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next