NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 250 Ninja
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 am 
Learner

OK I just got back. 53.74 hp and 50+ all day. But I know there is more to be had. We spent all day trying things and in the end always made 20 hp over the all motor power.
The nitrous jet I am using is a #90. We tried bottle pressure from 900 to 1000. And I started with a 100 fuel jet. And did a static test adjusting the pulsoid. That gave us a good run of 52 hp . I tried richining the mix with the larger jet and it went way rich. I guess I need to increase the nitrous jetting. suprisingly all the power is made below 12000 rpm. It seems like there is ten more hp and another 1000 rpm in there.
All in all a good day.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 am 
Site Admin

That's a very respectable result for such a small engine, so well done on achieving those numbers and so reliably.

That said there is SOMETHING restricting the results.

The first thing to do is weigh the bottle before and after a 10 second flow test to be SURE you're flowing the intended 45 HP that the jet number indicates it should be doing.

If that proves to be the case then something in your motor is preventing it from MAKING the full capability of what it SHOULD be making from that amount of nitrous.

Either the exhaust, cam/s or ignition (ignition is usually the first to limit the capability), is not up to the job.

Work out what is causing that and you'll blast through the 54 barrier with ease.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 am 
Learner

My mistake I have a #60 nitrous jet.

How is it determined that a #60 jet equals 30 hp? Or a #90 jet equals 45 hp? Is there a general formula based on pressure?

To do that ten second test would I need to run the engine? Can I test the flow volume on the bench?
I had to refill the bottles three times . But I don't know exact volume.

I found that I can use zx10 coil over plug arrangement. But the ignition seems ok and responds to timing changes.

We played with timing and volume.

The runs seem to go like this . I did the static test and we got 51hp. Then we leaned it out some and got 53. We richened it up and it went to 50. Then we added timing changes and it went to 52 then we added fuel and played with bottle pressure. All the runs made about the same power. I changed the plugs after the lean run. Tiny black specs of death. So new plugs from then on.
Really it seemed a perfect 20 shot . Everything we did for twenty pulls changed temps and A/F but not the power.

I am a little disappointed in the motor performance. I had 34 hp before the over bore. So I am going to try a different exhaust system next time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
My mistake I have a #60 nitrous jet.
Ahhhhh Ha that makes a WORLD of difference!!!!! :beatstick: :beatstick: :lol:
Making 20 at the engine from 30 HP jet is REASONABLY good and the difference ill be partly due to the dyno, the engine design, etc. and probably partly due to the pressure.

How is it determined that a #60 jet equals 30 hp? Or a #90 jet equals 45 hp? Is there a general formula based on pressure?
I worked out a formula that we drill the jets to, so that the number is double the HP and yes its relative to the pressure being approx. 950 psi. Anything less than that will result in less power from a given jet size.

To do that ten second test would I need to run the engine? Can I test the flow volume on the bench?
Do the test ON THE BIKE (but with the bottle on a set of accurate scales) and through the injectors/nozzles but remove the HT leads from the plugs and spin the engine over THOROUGHLY after the test is done, otherwise it will be KABOOOOM.

I had to refill the bottles three times . But I don't know exact volume.
Just make sure you know the weight before and after the test and we'll do the rest.

I found that I can use zx10 coil over plug arrangement. But the ignition seems ok and responds to timing changes.
DO NOT use coil over type ignition coils as they are GARBAGE. It's not the 'timing' I'm concerned about it's the strength. Can you remind me what brand of parts you have (with pics if possible) right up to and including the plugs, please.

We played with timing and volume.
VOLUME???? What range of timing and what produced best and worst results?

The runs seem to go like this . I did the static test and we got 51hp. Then we leaned it out some and got 53. We richened it up and it went to 50. Then we added timing changes and it went to 52 then we added fuel and played with bottle pressure. All the runs made about the same power. I changed the plugs after the lean run. Tiny black specs of death. So new plugs from then on.
Really it seemed a perfect 20 shot . Everything we did for twenty pulls changed temps and A/F but not the power.
Which tells me there is definitely SOMETHING limiting the power and I suspect its the ignition strength. Did you buy a spark tester from us or do you have one and if so have you tested the strength?

I am a little disappointed in the motor performance. I had 34 hp before the over bore. So I am going to try a different exhaust system next time.
I wouldn't worry about the NA performance when aiming for nitrous performance, can you send me a pic of the exhaust with bore size of that compared to the head size please?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:14 pm 
Learner

The spark test was over an inch of very blue spark . I have a lot of experience being hit from spark plug wires. I would guess 90 k from the fact my arm goes numb to the elbow from these coils. Cr10 e plugs stock gap. I suspect that needs to go tighter. When I went from a 100 to a 110 then 120 fuel jet it would break up when the fuel came in.

By bench I mean on the bike with out running the motor.

Are the jets the same for fuel and nitrous. I have from 40-230 WON jets.

For timing changes we added and removed a couple deg along the curve to see if it helped . It lifted the power through the mid range by removing timing. And really did not change much else. NO detonation or preignition that I could detect. But the specs on the lean run may have had a little.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:22 pm 
Learner

Will these coils work?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0031BLE9 ... p_mpd?pd=1

One nice thing is the nitrous power band. I hit the button at 10000 rpm and it was at 50 hp at 11500rpm. It means I need to gear for 125 mph at 11500. Now I have the gearing at 12500 for 125 mph. I don't like to spin the engine faster than nessacary. The 24 ft lb of torque show up nicely .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
The spark test was over an inch of very blue spark.
That should be plenty and was it repeatedly consistent at that?. Was that measured at the plug cap and did you measure BOTH?

Cr10 e plugs stock gap. I suspect that needs to go tighter.
If nothing else THAT would prove if the problem is ignition related, because if the power increases after the gap has been reduced THE SPARK STRENGTH IS the limiting factor.
The next time you run the bike on the dyno take another set of plugs and regardless of the result using the first set make the switch to an identical set (type, number and gap) and if the results are the same, reduce the gap on the 1st set and refit and retest.

When I went from a 100 to a 110 then 120 fuel jet it would break up when the fuel came in.
That is another indication of the spark strength being a problem.

By bench I mean on the bike with out running the motor.
Fine.

Are the jets the same for fuel and nitrous. I have from 40-230 WON jets.
Yes

For timing changes we added and removed a couple deg along the curve to see if it helped . It lifted the power through the mid range by removing timing. And really did not change much else. NO detonation or preignition that I could detect. But the specs on the lean run may have had a little.
OK and that's another indication that there is a limiting factor as the changes should have affected peak power as well.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:19 pm 
Learner

All the testing was done without changing the nitrous jet. After the static test the power was 50 everything we did after that made little difference to the power . But changed the air fuel ratio. I had no problems with spark when the fuel settings are correct. Only after going up in fuel jet size or adjusting the pulsoid to make the mixture excessively rich did things change. At 8 to 1 it started to miss.

I really feel the limiting factor is the nitrous jet. I will change the nitrous jet and do a static test. If the power comes up even a little and we have a steady air fuel ratio . Then I am ready to run. I only need 48 hp. So the next test will be to hold the 50+ hp for ten seconds.

I will take very careful bottle weight measurements and check the plugs between runs.

I think reducing the gap is a good idea. But I really did not have spark problems. I like the idea of starting with the stock gap. Then reducing it IF there is a power drop at top end.

I did test both coils. I

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
All the testing was done without changing the nitrous jet. After the static test the power was 50 everything we did after that made little difference to the power . But changed the air fuel ratio. I had no problems with spark when the fuel settings are correct. Only after going up in fuel jet size or adjusting the pulsoid to make the mixture excessively rich did things change.
Yes I understood that to be the case.

At 8 to 1 it started to miss.
Now I have a number for it and it's SOOOO rich, it's hardly surprising in that case!!!

I really feel the limiting factor is the nitrous jet.
That's EXTREMELY UNLIKELY as it would have to be 30% smaller than it should be (I'd be very surprised to see in a 5% imperfection in size), plus other factors that I've mentioned lean towards ignition and would have nothing to do with the jet size. Do the gap change would prove it conclusively though.

I will change the nitrous jet and do a static test. If the power comes up even a little and we have a steady air fuel ratio . Then I am ready to run. I only need 48 hp. So the next test will be to hold the 50+ hp for ten seconds.
You may well still see more power by doing that but if the limit is spark it will peak out at a lower rpm.

I will take very careful bottle weight measurements and check the plugs between runs.
Wise move.

I think reducing the gap is a good idea. But I really did not have spark problems. I like the idea of starting with the stock gap. Then reducing it IF there is a power drop at top end.
Lack of spark strength does NOT show up as an OBVIOUS problem (it does NOT result in misfires for example), the ONLY way it shows itself is in LESS power than should be expected, that's why it can be a pain to diagnose.

I did test both coils.
Very good and it was AT THE CAPS?

BTW obviously there's no need for different coils IF the spark is adequate.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:21 pm 
Learner

I do have my doubts about the ignition. Using an a/f ratio is sometimes tricky. A lean misfire will show up as a rich ratio for example. And it was not revving to the top RPM like it does without nitrous. I need to do More testing that for sure. That was a great first dyno session. I will have the results in a week or so and spend time looking at them. I plan to go back in late February.

My plug wires are built into the coils. So all the test is done by attaching the spark tester to the wire like a plug and cranking the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:16 pm 
Learner

After a long talk with my engine guru. It has been determined the coils should be upgraded. The problems I had with E85 and the behavior on the dyno could be spark related.
Since I have changed everything else. Coils are cheap insurance no matter what.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:03 pm 
Learner

The fun part of all this is learning new things and really learning old thing you take for granted. Now I need to learn everything about ignition systems.

So far I have found that even though I have lots of spark voltage I don't have enough spark duration.
I think what is happening is my brief spark lights a little bit of the mix. But then the onrush of fuel puts the fire out. If the spark lasted longer more of the mixture would be ignited and that would burn the whole mix. :scratch: Maybe?
Changing what I have now is going to be the fun part. I HOPE I don't have to replace the whole ignition system. If so I may have to limit the nitrous to the ignition system. At least for a short time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
I do have my doubts about the ignition. Using an a/f ratio is sometimes tricky. A lean misfire will show up as a rich ratio for example. And it was not revving to the top RPM like it does without nitrous. I need to do More testing that for sure.
Agreed and they are ALL signs of weak ignition.

That was a great first dyno session. I will have the results in a week or so and spend time looking at them. I plan to go back in late February.
Sure was and good plan.

My plug wires are built into the coils. So all the test is done by attaching the spark tester to the wire like a plug and cranking the engine.
So you are using STANDARD OEM coils then!!!!! It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that they will be adequate. The problem with testing the spark is that its down when there is NO ral load on the electrical supply system, plus as rpm rises the available charge time decreases dramatically, so the available spark strength falls.
Based on THIRTY FIVE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE, I'd be VERY SURPRISED if your ignition is not CAUSING YOU AT LEAST A TWENTY PERCENT LOSS of power, so you can look forward to MUCH better results next time out.
I would STRONGLY advise you to replace your existing coils and leads with Andrews or Dyna coils and Taylor spiral wound leads.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
After a long talk with my engine guru. It has been determined the coils should be upgraded. The problems I had with E85 and the behavior on the dyno could be spark related.
Since I have changed everything else. Coils are cheap insurance no matter what.

Wish I'd read that before making my previous post, as I could have saved myself the time.

Glad to hear we're all in agreement now though.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 pm 
Learner

I have looked at the Dana coils . I can make them fit without trouble. I will look for them . Do you have a supplier?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

Racer X wrote:
The fun part of all this is learning new things and really learning old thing you take for granted.
EXACTLY what has kept me so INTERESTED for the past 35 years and there's NOTHING taken for granted more, than the ignition system.

Now I need to learn everything about ignition systems.
Yup, been there done that and so I can assure you that you have A LOT of improvements to come from improving the ignition.

So far I have found that even though I have lots of spark voltage I don't have enough spark duration.
Duration and therefore strength FALL as RPM rises, so having 'adequate' spark strength at cranking can only be considered 'a GUIDE' and RESULTS have to be relied on as the ultimate indicator of what is and is not working at full strength.

I think what is happening is my brief spark lights a little bit of the mix. But then the onrush of fuel puts the fire out. If the spark lasted longer more of the mixture would be ignited and that would burn the whole mix. :scratch: Maybe?
NOPE that's not what happens - THIS is what happens.
The lack of time to charge the coil to full strength (as rpm rises), means there is less and less Voltage available at higher rpm.
Now this isn't such a problem WITHOUT nitrous, as the NA charge density (and therefore cylinder pressure) doesn't reach anywhere near the same levels as they do with nitrous.
However, when you add nitrous you increase the PRE-COMBUSTION PRESSURES and that requires MORE VOLTAGE, rather than DECLINING Voltage that we are stuck with.

The result is as follows;

Pressure rises and reaches peak pressure JUST as the spark is required.

The strength is inadequate so it CAN'T jump the plug gap WHEN INTENDED.

The piston continues to rise and FALL but WITHOUT the spark occurring.

As the piston FALLS so does the pressure in the chamber and at the point where the pressure is lower, than the level where the Voltage IS adequate to jump the plug gap IT DOES and a spark is created and the combustion charge ignited.

UNFORTUNATELY this is FAR TOO LATE and as a consequence power FLAT LINES or at worst FALLS compared to what WOULD be the case if the spark was strong enough to fire at the CORRECT TIME/PRESSURE.

Changing what I have now is going to be the fun part. I HOPE I don't have to replace the whole ignition system. If so I may have to limit the nitrous to the ignition system. At least for a short time.
Just replace the coils and leads with those mentioned in my first post and you'll be AMAZED at the results.

I've even had customer get such HUGE improvements NA, as to think they'd hit the nitrous button.
:drunken:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

No supplier sorry and remember ANDREWS ARE MUCH BETTER, so try to find those first.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Learner

OK te great ignition upgrade is underway.
Thanks .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

You could try Cecil Towner at HTP Performance.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 am 
Learner

i dont know if its obvious to you, but just changing the coil packs may or may not fix your problem. I would change the entire ignition system over to a multispark cd ignition. which may or may not have a coil on plug design.

also, if you do want to try JUST the coils, Takai Makes some called super coils that worked Great on my gixxer. might want to check them out. these coils at 14.6 volts should fire whatever you need. http://www.takai-racing.com/takai/takai ... p-404.html

other wise, i would just change the bike over to something like the pro series 3. its used on very high end stuff with large shots of nitrous and great results. (also controls the nitrous side as well as built in shift kill functions and lots of other stuff)

btw.. are you running a charging system on the bike?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:04 am 
Learner

I hope I don't need to change the ignition system.these coils look great.

This is the ignition system I use now
http://www.bintangracingteam.com/produc ... 07&lang=en
Yes I use a charging system.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:59 am 
Learner

that system is safe up to 18v.. id lose the charging system and use a 16v battery.. i bet that would take care of it. OR just mod the votage regulator and up the voltage a little that way.. maybe a half a volt or so.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'd keep the charging system but as JC suggests mod the reg to achieve 16 volts output AND upgrade to a 16 volt battery.

Your ignition looks like it should be capable enough, how old is the coil and is it one that comes with the ignition system?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:32 pm 
Learner

The coils are 2008 OEM. I don't want to loose the charging system. I need it for the bottle heater.and Bonneville is a long 3 miles wide open with nitrous.

But I can go to 16 volt maybe.

If I get these coils and go with the 14.5 I have now . Lets see how that does. I will look into changing to 16 volts . But I am running short on time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

If you have OEM coils THEY will be the problem WITHOUT DOUBT.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next