NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2-Stroke Lubrication
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:09 am 

FWIW I talked to the guy at the Fuchs Petrolub "Hotline".
If we inject N2O and Methanol (and/or Nitromethane) in a gasoline 2-stroke,
the oil in each of the fuels must be compatible or lubrication fails. Their esterbased product Aerosafe (150 Visco) is compatible with any of these fuels and should be used in both fuel tanks. It does not protect against rust and after the races, the engine should run 4 to 5 minutes on gasoline with about 6% regular 2-stroke oil (he recommended Silolene Comp 2+). Another fuel tank.
BTW I quizzed the guy about other "exotic" fuel components and he said he tried some in miniature engine competition and maybe as a consequence of his experiments developed a very serious health problem. Let us draw the line at sanctioned events legal fuels. Nasty enough.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: 2-Stroke Lubrication
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:28 am 

The complications of injecting Meth with oil in a gasoline 2-stroke are so huge that I do not want to pursue that concept. Looking at race gas and water injection with a big shot of nitrous from a REVO system.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

ALL fuels are EXTREMELY TOXIC and ANY work that is carried out with ANY of them, MUST be done in a well ventilated location and ideally when wearing a mask.

I'll keep the oil info in mind but I'd be surprised if there isn't a suitable one available for use with methanol, especially as E85 has very similar qualities and even most modern pump fuels have some percentage of ethanol in them, which are being used on most street 2 strokes without problems.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:08 pm 
Learner

Bear in mind if you cut methanol with 3% lubricant you have to add an extra 3% to the fuel jet.

Cumulative effects of methanol injection through skin, eyes, lungs etc are not great!, at least use gloves in open area, I'll be using safety glasses as well from now on when mixinv my m20 fuel for racing..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:12 am 

I called the guy at Fuchs Petrolube again, to understand this a little better.
I find it relatively complicated to put it in words. :scratch:
Ordinary oil for gasoline will not mix with methanol, and ordinary oil for methanol will not mix with gasoline. You cannot use both types of oil at the same time, because lubrication will break down if the two types of oil come together. If you had one fuel tank with pure gasoline, and one with methanol without gasoline, you would need to use Fuchs Aerosafe in both tanks because this oil is suitable for both types of fuel. But Aerosafe does not protect the engine against rust and you would need to flush the engine afterwards so I say this would be a can of worms.
However, a blend of gasoline and methanol can mix with normal two stroke oil, as can be checked in a clear glass jar. That should be no problem as long as it is nicely mixed and no parts of the fuel are pure alcohol, says Fuchs Petrolube. Hence no problems with gasoline two stroke fuel containing ethanol.
Unfortunalely, water cannot be added to gasohol, not even with the addition of acetone. The gasoline separates and swims on top. I checked this out last winter making cheap windshield washer fluid from E85 ;)
Gasoline, alcohol and nitromethane could be blended. 8)