NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: system design questions for Yamaha XJ750
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 pm 

I've been working on a pretty heavily customized XJ750 (re-built w/ a Hossack front end, among other mods) that, for various reasons (mostly shits and giggles and the fun of further customizing an already mad-science type vehicle) I'd like to get ~100hp out of. Stock, it made about 75hp, so that seems do-able without to much fuss via a n20 system, yes?

After a fair bit of research, I like design concepts behind the pulsoid valves a lot, although I wish maybe there was a smaller one that pulled less than 10 amps... is such a thing available / sensible?

The bike has CV carbs, which (I assume) means I need to run a wet system. That means I'd need a fuel pump, yes? Instead of a fuel pump, what about packing a propane tank alongside the nitrous? I'm thinking the typical camping stove size, which means it would discharge gaseous propane, not liquid, probably at ~25psi. Not sure how I'd figure out how much flow I need (maybe use a scale and see what size jets / pressures give what flow rates in terms og grams / minute, and find the gasoline equivalent). Also not sure the pulsoid fuel valve would handle gaseous propane, and if so, if it would flow enough of it, given the lower density. If gasoline can be used without a fuel pump, that's probably a better option, although the added octane from propane is (in theory) a nice bonus.

Also wondering, is it a good / bad idea to inject the nitrous & fuel downsteam of a CV carb? I'm figuring this would give quicker response, but runs the risk that you can't close the throttle and block off the flow of N20 (in a mechanical sense - there would be a sensor that prevented the valve from opening at part throttle). If its not a bad idea, its very appealing in this case, because the XJ series heads have a head design (called "YICS") that would make it rather easy to pipe n20 and fuel directly into the intake tract, bypassing (and avoiding any alterations to) the carbs & carb boots.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: system design questions for Yamaha XJ750
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:35 am 
Site Admin

sebwiers wrote:
Quote:
I've been working on a pretty heavily customized XJ750 (re-built w/ a Hossack front end, among other mods) that, for various reasons (mostly shits and giggles and the fun of further customizing an already mad-science type vehicle) I'd like to get ~100hp out of. Stock, it made about 75hp, so that seems do-able without to much fuss via a n20 system, yes?

Correct and more.

Quote:
After a fair bit of research, I like design concepts behind the pulsoid valves a lot, although I wish maybe there was a smaller one that pulled less than 10 amps... is such a thing available / sensible?

We could make you some specials that would work at that level.

Quote:
The bike has CV carbs, which (I assume) means I need to run a wet system.

Yes

Quote:
That means I'd need a fuel pump, yes?

No as most of our bike customers run gravity fed fuel to the nitrous system.

Instead of a fuel pump, what about packing a propane tank alongside the nitrous? I'm thinking the typical camping stove size, which means it would discharge gaseous propane, not liquid, probably at ~25psi. Not sure how I'd figure out how much flow I need (maybe use a scale and see what size jets / pressures give what flow rates in terms og grams / minute, and find the gasoline equivalent).
That's an option and one we were just getting geared up to try out, so if you'd like to become our guinea pig, I'd be happy to work out some arrangement with you if you're able to get to our HQ.

Quote:
Also not sure the pulsoid fuel valve would handle gaseous propane, and if so, if it would flow enough of it, given the lower density. If gasoline can be used without a fuel pump, that's probably a better option, although the added octane from propane is (in theory) a nice bonus.

The Pulsoid shouldn't be a problem and the octane would be beneficial but gravity fuel would be simpler.

Quote:
Also wondering, is it a good / bad idea to inject the nitrous & fuel downsteam of a CV carb? I'm figuring this would give quicker response, but runs the risk that you can't close the throttle and block off the flow of N20 (in a mechanical sense - there would be a sensor that prevented the valve from opening at part throttle). If its not a bad idea, its very appealing in this case, because the XJ series heads have a head design (called "YICS") that would make it rather easy to pipe n20 and fuel directly into the intake tract, bypassing (and avoiding any alterations to) the carbs & carb boots.

That's how we normally do it (inject downstream of the carbs) on most street type bikes, so not a problem and simpler than you're envisaging.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:12 am 

Quote:
Quote:

We could make you some specials that would work at that level.

I thought that might be the case... what do you think you could get the amps down to, and would the cost be comparable to the normal pulsoids? I assume they wouldn't allow as much max boost as, say, the pulsoids in the SB75 kit?

To be honest, something like you old Dou-noid design sounds like it would ideal for my situation... maybe because the bike is of similar vintage.

Quote:
Quote:
Instead of a fuel pump, what about packing a propane tank alongside the nitrous? I'm thinking the typical camping stove size, which means it would discharge gaseous propane, not liquid, probably at ~25psi. Not sure how I'd figure out how much flow I need (maybe use a scale and see what size jets / pressures give what flow rates in terms og grams / minute, and find the gasoline equivalent).

That's an option and one we were just getting geared up to try out, so if you'd like to become our guinea pig, I'd be happy to work out some arrangement with you if you're able to get to our HQ.

Ah, The metering jet info in you FAQ makes a lot of sense in this light.
Would be happy to guinea pig, but am in the USA. Perhaps once I gain a bit of experience with a conventional (grav fed fuel) system, I could look into what you've learned if still curious, or try some experiments with remote oversight. TBH, if its not needed to avoid fuel pump use, the added complexity isn't all that appealing, except to curiosity.

Quote:
Quote:

That's how we normally do it (inject downstream of the carbs) on most street type bikes, so not a problem and simpler than you're envisaging.

You can add n2o and fuel downstream of a set of carbs without putting a hole in the carb boot (or boot replacement) or body? The instructions for various systems indicate drilling holes in intake components, which is what I was aiming to avoid. You are right about added complexity- in essence I'd be making my own custom, engine specific injectors. However, its highly appealing in a cosmetic sense if possible (not just to avoid damage to aging components, but as a potentially good looking feature in its own right).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Admin

sebwiers wrote:
Quote:
I thought that might be the case... what do you think you could get the amps down to, and would the cost be comparable to the normal pulsoids? I assume they wouldn't allow as much max boost as, say, the pulsoids in the SB75 kit?

We might be able to half them and yes it would reduce the max power capability to about 50 HP. Price would be £25 more for the extra time in selectively assembling a specific unit.

Quote:
To be honest, something like you old Dou-noid design sounds like it would ideal for my situation... maybe because the bike is of similar vintage.

Yes it would as they were only 1 Amp but they could flow 500 HP and we no longer manufacture them, so not an option now.

Quote:
Ah, The metering jet info in you FAQ makes a lot of sense in this light.
Would be happy to guinea pig, but am in the USA. Perhaps once I gain a bit of experience with a conventional (grav fed fuel) system, I could look into what you've learned if still curious, or try some experiments with remote oversight. TBH, if its not needed to avoid fuel pump use, the added complexity isn't all that appealing, except to curiosity.

Being in the US makes it a bit difficult so taking the route you've mentioned makes sense.

Quote:
You can add n2o and fuel downstream of a set of carbs without putting a hole in the carb boot (or boot replacement) or body?

I was referring to the fuel side only, which we can feed in through the existing vac points. What we do then is either feed the nitrous in to the airbox or we do have to punch a hole in the boot. For your application it would be best fed in to the airbox.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:37 pm 

The low amp pulsoid mod you mention sounds good; keeping the whole system on one 10 amp circuit would be nice. If I wanted to go past +50hp, I'm doubt the cash for a new pulsoid (or maybe just new internals?) would be the main factor holding me back.

Any progress on the micro pulsoids you mentioned in the SSIS thread? Would they maybe be suitable?

The intake setup you mention (fuel via vacuum ports, n20 in airbox) sounds quite well suited to my case. I'm planning a custom (or at least heavily modified) airbox anyhow, so have no concerns about alterations on that end. Probably superior performance wise (especially under NA conditions), given the YICS system would be un-impeded.

Not sure when the budget on this will free up (there's an outside chance of build sponsorship, otherwise its out of pocket on a typically tight family budget) but having this info will keep me going in a direction that makes implementing the system easy down the road. Like I said initially, everything I'd learned makes your system seem a better choice than competing brands despite higher (initial) cost, and your helpfulness only confirms that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm 
Learner

Fog the airbox
bore the rubbers for fuel.

Even when your budget is low , go with the pulsoids , as one pulsoid is cheaper than buying engine parts when the usual
solenoid keeps open (N2o) or wont even open (on fuel) or even buy another "normal" solenoid when you find the issues BEFORE damage.

Nitrous is a damn honest tuning :D . If done right its the cheapest way to get HP. But its not forgiving if done wrong.

Do it right the first time ,and dont spend your money twice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am 
Site Admin

sebwiers wrote:
Quote:
The low amp pulsoid mod you mention sounds good; keeping the whole system on one 10 amp circuit would be nice. If I wanted to go past +50hp, I'm doubt the cash for a new pulsoid (or maybe just new internals?) would be the main factor holding me back.

Any progress on the micro pulsoids you mentioned in the SSIS thread? Would they maybe be suitable?

Unfortunately not and not even likely in the immediate future.

Quote:
The intake setup you mention (fuel via vacuum ports, n20 in airbox) sounds quite well suited to my case. I'm planning a custom (or at least heavily modified) airbox anyhow, so have no concerns about alterations on that end. Probably superior performance wise (especially under NA conditions), given the YICS system would be un-impeded.

Glad to hear it.

Quote:
Not sure when the budget on this will free up (there's an outside chance of build sponsorship, otherwise its out of pocket on a typically tight family budget) but having this info will keep me going in a direction that makes implementing the system easy down the road. Like I said initially, everything I'd learned makes your system seem a better choice than competing brands despite higher (initial) cost, and your helpfulness only confirms that.

Understood

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:04 am 
Site Admin

B-12 wrote:
Fog the airbox
bore the rubbers for fuel.

Even when your budget is low , go with the pulsoids , as one pulsoid is cheaper than buying engine parts when the usual
solenoid keeps open (N2o) or wont even open (on fuel) or even buy another "normal" solenoid when you find the issues BEFORE damage.

Nitrous is a damn honest tuning :D . If done right its the cheapest way to get HP. But its not forgiving if done wrong.

Do it right the first time ,and dont spend your money twice.

Very good advice

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)