NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kawasaki zx6r g1 ( 1988 )
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:00 pm 

I'm looking for all round advice on my kawasaki zx6r g1 (1988) I've stripped it down every nut and bolt as I'm under going a like new restoration and so far its going fantastically the modifications are as follows. K&n air filter, remus race can, variable timing advancer/retarder, brembo race pads all round, hel braded brake lines, hid lights, tail tidy, seat cowl, carbs re jetted, iridium spark plugs, jack up kit on the back, lowered at the front And Ive ordered a wizards of nos street blaster 75 nitrous kit with the optional 2.5lb tank and braded lines.

What would be the maximum nos boost I could use without having to upgrade pistons, conrods, crankshaft etc? As these are extremely hard to find and would probably cost the earth

What degree of timing would you recommend?

Are there any other modifications I could make to improve the running?

How would the minimax controller benefit the running of the bike and the maximum power output?

I'd love to hear your feedback and setup advice and any other experiences youve had with this particular zx6r or similar 600cc bikes.

Many thanks
Kitch :D

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Kawasaki zx6r g1 ( 1988 )
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Kitch wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking for all round advice on my kawasaki zx6r g1 (1988) I've stripped it down every nut and bolt as I'm under going a like new restoration and so far its going fantastically the modifications are as follows. K&n air filter, remus race can, variable timing advancer/retarder, brembo race pads all round, hel braded brake lines, hid lights, tail tidy, seat cowl, carbs re jetted, iridium spark plugs, jack up kit on the back, lowered at the front And Ive ordered a wizards of nos street blaster 75 nitrous kit with the optional 2.5lb tank and braded lines.

Hi Kitch, welcome to my forum and thank you for your WON purchase.

Quote:
What would be the maximum nos boost I could use without having to upgrade pistons, conrods, crankshaft etc? As these are extremely hard to find and would probably cost the earth

That's always a impossible question as we can't know what is going to be the weak link in your engine. However, by increasing the power in relatively small steps (no more tahn 25 HP), you may see the initial signs of a weakness before suffering any damage or at least limit the consequences.

Quote:
What degree of timing would you recommend?

By having a retardable ignition and selecting the correct amount you can make your engine handle more power than would otherwise be the case. A rough guide would be to take out 3 degrees for every 25 HP increase for maximum safety.
Also adding a progressive controller will enable you to make more power more reliably.

Quote:
Are there any other modifications I could make to improve the running?

Replace your plugs with plugs with a higher number, make sure your fuel tap can flow enough fuel for the NA and nitrous use together, surface grind your steel plates (by the minimum amount) and add a packer to make up for any reduction in pack height.

Quote:
How would the minimax controller benefit the running of the bike and the maximum power output?

As mentioned above it would make it possible to add more power more reliably, as the killer is adding too much power at overly low rpm. It would also make the bike/nitrous more rider friendly.

Quote:
I'd love to hear your feedback and setup advice and any other experiences youve had with this particular zx6r or similar 600cc bikes.

What power does it have as standard?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:46 pm 

Would I be better running the tee off for the fuel after the tank or after the fuel pump?

The bike as standard would run at around 106/108bhp but with the subtle modifications already on it should be running around the 118bhp+

Also which packer are you recommending surface grinding?

And what are the tell tail signs of weakness you normally find? Apart from the obvious bent conrod or broken tooth.

Also on many kawasaki forums the zx6r g1 engine runs best at +4degree timing advancement. So would you say for a 50bhp boost would require me to set it to -2 degrees retardation? And 25bhp at +1degree for e.g.

Many thanks
Kitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Kitch wrote:
Quote:
Would I be better running the tee off for the fuel after the tank or after the fuel pump?

That depends on the type of pump and what it's capacity is?

Quote:
Also which packer are you recommending surface grinding?

You grind ALL the steel plates till they are perfectly flat (which they won't be now) and then buy a spare plate and have that ground to the required thickness to restore the full clutch pack to the original thickness.

Quote:
And what are the tell tail signs of weakness you normally find? Apart from the obvious bent conrod or broken tooth.

You will NEVER bend a conrod using my system. The tell tale signs are black or metallic specs on the plugs, as ALL failures START with combustion problems.

Quote:
Also on many kawasaki forums the zx6r g1 engine runs best at +4degree timing advancement. So would you say for a 50bhp boost would require me to set it to -2 degrees retardation? And 25bhp at +1degree for e.g.

It's safest to work from the factory settings and not from figures that can't be verified as safe on your specific motor.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:41 pm 

Ive had a look and the fuel pump is rated at 50/55 liters per hour. Would it be ok to use a tee after the pump?

Many thanks
Kitch