NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: PWM Frequency Response Characteristics for 150 HP X10
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:54 am 
Learner

I have found charts for the X10 250 and 350 HP nitrous pulsoids. I cannot find the same chart for the 150 HP X10. Where can I find this? I'd like to see how the 150 will react to similar pulse rates at the lower and the upper ends of the scale.

The 250 chart is attached. Is the 150 anywhere close to the same level of controllability? Especially at the smaller PWM percentages? 15% at 20 Hz seems amazing compar d to what I've been told to expect from other solenoids. I was beginning my progression at 40% -- more than double what I could have been using as a start point!

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments:
IMG_0868.PNG
IMG_0868.PNG [ 133.61 KiB | Viewed 15306 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: PWM Frequency Response Characteristics for 150 HP X10
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm 
Wizard

The 150 pulsoids will be similar to the information above: the higher the frequency, the narrower the pulse percentages. Hence if you want a really broad progressive ramp, then choose the lower freqs and vice versa. The lower freqs aren't as 'smooth' as the higher ones.

You can bench test this with a controller to see at which percentages the Pusloids stay closed or full open (with proper pressures applied , of course).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 am 
Learner

Good point about bench testing the pulse rate of the system.

Anyone know what frequency some of the older progressive controllers pulse at? Specifically the Schnitz NC2000? I'd have to assume they pulsed fairly slow due to the solenoid they were attempting to progress.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:58 pm 
Wizard

I think that it supposed to work @ 20 Hz, but I can't say for sure. Either way, that controller is unsuitable for progressive use for regular solenoids let alone pulsoids. There is much more to pulsing a nitrous system than simply switching it on and off like those controllers do.

Here's a good thread about someone attempting to use a built in ECU function for progressive control with Pulsoids and failing miserably: http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2805&hilit=pulsoid+frequencies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 am 
Learner

I'm a bit confused after reading through that thread. It seems there are generally good results from pulsing with an ECU. From other threads it seems the current capacity is usually the limiting factor.

Seems the source of the issue in that thread was the system install causing a bad reservoir effect -- oversized braided lines with jets at both the pulsoid and the NOS nozzles.

Although my original install didn't use WON components, I did follow the principles in Trevor's book for laying out the system. Even so, I'm excited to see how much better it will perform with all WON components.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:51 pm 
Wizard

fj1289 wrote:
I'm a bit confused after reading through that thread. It seems there are generally good results from pulsing with an ECU. From other threads it seems the current capacity is usually the limiting factor.
Can you provide the links to those threads so that I can see what you're referring to?

Seems the source of the issue in that thread was the system install causing a bad reservoir effect -- oversized braided lines with jets at both the pulsoid and the NOS nozzles.

That was a contributing factor in that thread, but you missed the point that Trev made regarding HOW the ECU's and other controllers pulse solenoids in contrast to WoN controllers. Non-WoN controllers don't take into account the individual response times of the different components and mediums (nitrous and fuel), resulting in mismatched N:F ratios. This often resulted in poor performance and/or engine damage and is why Trev designed his own controller as opposed to buying ones from outside companies.

Although my original install didn't use WON components, I did follow the principles in Trevor's book for laying out the system. Even so, I'm excited to see how much better it will perform with all WON components.

And that's where you WIN, by choosing to learn about some of the advanced features that differ from competitors' junk. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

If you want the best results from pulsing our Pulsoids, you should ONLY use a WON Max Extreme, as NO other controller comes close to the capabilities it offers. Using any other controller would at least HALF the capabilities of our Pulsoids. Our Pulsoids can run up to 50 Hz or more (under the right conditions) and the higher they are pulsed, the smoother the power delivery and the easier the nitrous is on the engine. In contrast, ALL other solenoids are lucky to even 'work' (never mind CONSISTENTLY), at anything over 20 Hz, which is why most other brands of controller, only offer 20 Hz outputs and even the highest I have seen, is only 30 ish Hz and that's JUST ONE of MANY aspects they are vastly deficient in.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!