NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Launch Technique on Nitrous
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:24 pm 
Learner

I’ve heard Trevor’s launch technique of use the most nitrous at the lowest RPM possible.

The question is WHY it works?

I’ll throw out my guesses -

- for a given shot of nitrous it will make more torque at lower RPM
- torque gets you moving
- the lower RPM through the clutch doesn’t hit the tire as hard and knock the tire off
- as the RPMs come up as you drive out of the hole, the added torque from the nitrous is actually decreasing - and helping keep the first 60 feet or so under control

Next question - can you make this technique work with a large shot of nitrous on a progressive controller?

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Launch Technique on Nitrous
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:44 am 
Wizard

I'm no drag racer, so I haven't applied any of Trev's methods to racing. However, it does appear that you are right on your suspicions regarding the launch.

In regard to progressive use, I would guess that the methods you pointed out would not work in the same manner since the progressive control would allow less or even no applied nitrous power to the launch, making more rpm a requirement to get moving. All about recording results and finding the quickest and most consistent times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:58 am 
Learner

For using progressive on the launch I was thinking start at a given percentage (15%, 20%, etc) and hold that percentage for a short period of time and then continue the progression.

The higher the starting %, the higher PWM frequency could be used, the smoother the progression will be.

It all sounds good in my mind - wondering if I’m missing something?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 am 
Wizard

ALso note that the higher the frequency used, the sooner the pulsoid will remain fully open below 100% (IE 80% power may result in 100% flow). The higher the freq, the narrower the operating range.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

That about covers it, with only the following to add/expand on;

1) Correct on the torque Vs low rpm
2) To add to that, the higher the launch rpm the higher the inertia of the rotating mass and it's this rotating mass inertia, that tries to rotate the chain round the sprocket and hence produce a wheelie.

I developed this technique long before I invented progressive control, so I'm not entirely sure how that will work out but;
1) It could potentially be harder (or you'd have to limit the power to a lower level) because delivering a 30 Hp hit from a fixed hit kit, is totally different to delivering a 30 Hp hit from a 100 Hp progressive system (UNLESS it's our REVO system).
2) Delivering 30% from a 100 Hp PULSED progressive system, actually equates to short pulses of 100 Hp and it only takes a couple of firing cycles, for a bike (or car) to react to those pulses, in the same way as a 100 Hp fixed shot.
3) It may therefore be necessary to launch at say 25 Hp (or less), to get the same vehicle response as a 30 Hp fixed hit.
4) I 'suspect' that 'immediately' progressing the system (at an appropriate rate), would probably be beneficial.
5) BTW this was one of the reasons, that I created the REVO, as a 30% hit from a 100 Hp REVO system, can be exactly the same as a 30 Hp fixed hit.
6) Here's another of my little known practices, that results in quicker acceleration and in conjunction with the above, would be even more beneficial. Shifting by an optimum amount of rpm lower than NA, results in spending longer in the lower rpm, higher torque range, which is beneficial for the same reason as the lower rpm launch.

My ideal run technique would be as follows;
1) Launch at as low a rpm as possible
2) Add as much nitrous power as possible, the instant the clutch starts to engage
3) Progressively increase the nitrous
4) Shift into the next gear as soon as possible, well below the normal shift rpm

For your further information, I gave all this advice to Cecil Towner and he found it hard to believe, so he didn't act on it for a few months, until one run resulted in his rider accidently doing it. The rider launched too hard and the front end climbed out of hand and he accidently shifted to 2nd, which brought the front end down, which allowed him to continue the run.
After viewing the data logs Cecil discovered that the bike had run quicker than it had ever done before (either for the full run or from the point of the shift, can't remember for sure), so from then on he has acted on my advice, at least in that regard.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!