NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: NX Lightning (alloy body) solenoid
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

When I was in the USA earlier this year, Mike Woods (President of NX) came up to the guy I was with and started spouting off about his new solenoids and WORD FOR WORD he was making the same claims for them, as I've stated are the benefits of my Pulsoids over the past 10 years or more - the difference being that my statements are true about Pulsoids but are not true for the NX (or any other) solenoid.

A few months ago I purchased one of these new NX solenoids to test and at the same time I sent Mike Woods an email, telling him that I was present when he falsely claimed all the benefits of my Pulsoids for his new solenoids, whilst spouting off to the guy I was with. We exchanged a few emails as a consequence, his mainly stating that he was the biggest and he wasn't concerned about what I had to say whilst my emails stuck to the facts.
In my final email to him I pointed out that I intended to test his solenoid and post the truth about them on my forum.

Soon after I dismantled and inspected the new NX solenoid and found the following;

1) Although they've tried to copy my Pulsoid they've failed in most respects and missed many of the important aspects of the design.
2) Whilst the base is alloy, it still has a stainless steel seat with all the problems that causes.
3) They've done their best to copy my 'above seat' entry but in so doing have increased the expansion chamber volume and missed the importance of that aspect of my design.
4) The plunger and plunger tube remain EXACTLY the same as their generic solenoids, so they've missed the importance of my design there as well.
5) They have NO magnetic circuit.

Now all this SHOUTS at me saying they;
1) Didn't understand the numerous advantages of the Pulsoid design.
2) They (whoever actually did the design work), doesn't understand even the core principles of solenoid design and operation.

Now I haven't as yet had chance to test the solenoid but without a magnetic circuit it's VERY unlikely to work efficiently, because the magnetic circuit intensifies the magnetic force that lifts the plunger and without it you need a much stronger coil to work against the high nitrous pressures.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Last edited by Noswizard on Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:50 pm 

Now who can explain why NX is so big and considered one of the best over here with so many details un-noticed in product design and this is just one area of a nitrous system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 pm 
Learner

That's easy Denny, good marketing not good products. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:53 am 
Wizard

Streetcar Nitrous wrote:
That's easy Denny, good marketing not good products. :lol:

Can anyone get hold of accounts for a business like that ?
I was just "wondering" which department had the biggest budget; Marketing or research / product development..........

It'd be funny if they weren't screwing the regular guy.
(I bet they don't love you the next morning either)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:43 pm 
Learner

The new Solenoids from NX are no good I have heard because of bad ground???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

The term 'bad ground' doesn't make a great deal of sense as the coils are supplied with both a power and ground 'externally', so either there is a translation problem or someone has something mixed up.

Has there been anything on other forums or the NX web site about it?

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 pm 
Learner

did you test how the solenoids hold up to pulsing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry but we've been so busy with our own new products (Revo, Max Extreme & Spider) that we've not had time to do anything but strip it down to inspect it, however I will be putting it through it's paces ASAP.

Why I'm bothering I don't really know, as we'll be superceding pulsed solenoid technology with the Revo some time soon, so even if they are as good as our Pulsoids (which I very much doubt and they certainly couldn't be better), they certainly won't get close to the features of a Revo.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:28 pm 
Learner

with as much as talk negatively about them it seems only fair to test them the same as you test yours for a true apples to apples comparison instead of just looking at it and drawing conclusions from the cover of the book.
im looking forward to the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

I don't need to test them to KNOW that what I've said about them so far is 100% CORRECT!!!

Just remember they are JUST a GENERIC solenoid with an alloy body and a carbon fibre case - NOTHING ELSE and neither of those components is beneficial to the performance of the unit and in fact I'm expecting the carbon fibre case to be detrimental.

Having said all that I still intend to carry out the tests to ensure a correct final report is made.

BTW I've told Mike Woods himself (President of NX) that I intend to carry out the tests and make a report, so this is NOT an underhanded situation, because I like to do everything up front and honest unlike most people.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

It seems that the NX valve recall is for one of their bottle valves (not solenoid valves), so I'm guessing my informant may have got the 2 mixed up.

So that's been set straight now and anyone who doubts the valve situation can visit the NX site to confirm it.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Still haven't had time to test the NX solenoid but I did take a closer look at it yesterday and noticed that they've stopped using teflon (at last) and it now looks like they're using the SAME material as we use!!!! WHAT A SURPRISE!!!!
So that's the following features NX have copied from our Pulsoid;
1) Raised the inlet port above the outlet seat for better flow.
2) Modified the back side of the outlet seat to increase flow.
3) Changed the body to alloy from stainless to reduce weight and improve appearance.
4) Changed from PTFE to material 'X' to stop leaks and improve life span
It's just lucky for us that NX weren't smart enough to see all the IMPORTANT but SUBTLE differences between our Pulsoids and generic solenoids, otherwise we'd have lost our advantage over them, well ONLY till we launched the REVO that is.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)