NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The hover Revo-Spider
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 am 
Site Admin

While I'm away, I thought I'd leave you with this clip of a little something we were experimenting with earlier today to demonstrate the Revo in action.

One of the reasons I used this technique, was because a US nitrous expert famously connected a nitrous supply pipe to what he described as a spider (a block of metal with 4 legs on each side) and was surprised when he turned on the bottle valve and the spider promptly set about smashing his workshop up. :shock:

Well I was AMAZED that someone who claimed to have so much knowledge about nitrous would do such an insane thing and so I thought this would be a good way to show how such an experiment SHOULD have been done.

It's been said (by the IDIOT brigade) that the Revo is no big deal, because it's just doing what a bottle valve can do. LOL
Well if that were the case the US expert would have been able to shut the supply off as quickly as the Revo demonstrates in this clip and saved himself a lot of trouble, therefore the IDIOT brigade haven't even get that bit right!!! :twisted:

All the different rates of upward acceleration, static positions, as well as decents are all pre programmed and under the control of the Max.

I think you're gonna like this;
Click here to watch Hover-Spider

It didn't turn out to be the best way to demo Revo control but it was a bit of fun that kept the lads happy and a bit of a curiosity for the rest of you. ;)

Catch in a couple of weeks and be good till I get back. lol

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:11 am 
Wizard

Aha! So that's where you're going for two weeks - outer space :lol:

Have a good trip Trev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:05 pm 
Wizard

Where do I sign up for my Hover conversion?
This is "back to the future" stuff eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 am 
Wizard

Can you do the same with a pulsoid for comparison? would probably be a good demo of the smoothness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:43 am 
Wizard

I would have liked to see more control...........

A video of it hovering 6" off the deck and then moving to 12" and hovering then up to 18" etc would have been a much better demo of the control you can establish.

This would leave no doubt about the capabilities, as at the moment I can still see sceptics ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:10 pm 
Wizard

The principal idea behind the demo is fine, but it would have been far clearer if a long fine spring had been used on the rod above the 'jet pack' :lol: , then the cotrol would be seen very clearly. As it is, once enough force/flow/pressure had been applied to overcome the friction on the rod and weight of the jets/pipe, it'll more than likely go up to the top. Hovering is only achieved due to the proximity of the base board in the demo, initial movement/hovering doesn't take as much thrust while the force is hitting a solid face, so a window exists where the device will hover over the board, then any further force will make it take off properly.

Not that that has anything to do with the fine control of the revo, just the reason the demo isn't very clear :idea:

Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:38 pm 
Wizard

The way I see it, Trev was demonstrating the difference between what he saw the competition create (an uncontrollable self-propelled missile) and how the revo is far superior because it is controllable.

Due to the massive pressure of nitrous, uncontrolled, the competition create mayhem. With the revo able to control flow, nitrous was clearly demonstrated to move the spider in a far less aggressive manner as - per the video. That alone proves the ability of the revo and the advantages for the WON system user 8)

The fact the spider actually looks (and flies) like a UFO is incidental and if someone was to further the experiment using a better weight balance and flight control system, I'm sure we would be absolutely stunned considering it's a combustion aid and not an engine in it's own right.

I think Trev made his point very well and I hope I wasn't being sceptical in my off-beat humour about space flight :redface:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:24 pm 
Wizard

Oddified wrote:
As it is, once enough force/flow/pressure had been applied to overcome the friction on the rod and weight of the jets/pipe, it'll more than likely go up to the top. Hovering is only achieved due to the proximity of the base board in the demo, initial movement/hovering doesn't take as much thrust while the force is hitting a solid face, so a window exists where the device will hover over the board, then any further force will make it take off properly.

I would like to point out I have utmost faith in Trev and his products!!

I was merely thining that if he had true control he could modulate the flow to maintain any position that he desired :idea:

Now while this would be tricky using open loop control it would not be impossible. It is a thoroughly pointless extension to his experiment but one that would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Trev is the master!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm 
Learner

A variable load to act against (spring) would be needed to show how smooth it is though. Oddified is totally right in this respect. However it would also be very good to show this method on solenoids too. Especially against the 'competition'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Well I didn't expect this post to be taken quite so seriously!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

This didn't (as I mentioned in my closing statements) turn out to be the "best" way to demo the Revo, for some of the reasons you've mentioned between you and was more just a fun idea (again as I mentioned), just to show "some" control and how insane it was for anyone (never mind a claimed expert), to connect a nitrous supply to a Spider type device WITHOUT control.

However I am surprised at Dave's comments in paricular (and I know they are not intended in any bad way), for the following reasons;

1) The Spider does hovers just off the bench at the start and then rises to a second level which it stays at for a while before rising again.
2) The rates of change of position are just as indicative of the control as any static positions it held
3) When you take in to account the effects of gravity and the weight of the Spider (as the other guys mentioned), it's quite an achievement in control that we managed to do what we did.
4) Just keep in mind that this was just a QUICK demo and if it had proved to be a better method of demonstration that it did, I would put some more time to it. However, gravity etc. make it a poor demo method, so we'll be leaving it there with this one.

The real proof can only be demonstrated on the track UNFORTUNATELY, not even a dyno will demonstrate how beneficial the precise and responsive control of the Revo can be, so it will be next year before we can get back on tracks to achieve that.

Please see the Lambo thread to see where I'm at. ;)

http://www.technical-forum.com/nitrous- ... on-f5.html

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!