NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: REVO DAVE BAILEY IS BACK ON THE NUMBERS & WINS AT POD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS :wav:

TO REVO DAVE BAILEY on this weekends WIN at the Pod in the Funny Bike class on his OLD, OUT OF DATE, TIRED PRO MOD BIKE.

He qualified 4th out of 5 bikes with a 7.4 ish and then sustained a number of stumbles that lost him valuable track time. However, he was able to maintain TOTAL RELIABILITY while the quicker bikes fell by the wayside with engine failures, to make it to the final round of eliminations, where he majestically destroyed the opposition by running a NEW REVO PB of 7.10 @ what I believe to be, one of the highest ever terminal speed the bike has run in Dave's hands of 183.5 MPH to a losing time of 7.6. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Unfortunately this is almost certainly Dave's last race, as he's having to sell the bike and retire due to limited funds and as sad as I am that he's having to do that, I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY that he at least goes out on big high.

From my own business perspective, although Dave didn't manage to conclusively prove the superiority of the REVO in respect of ET's, he has at least PROVED that the REVO can deliver EQUALLY quick results, while maintaining engine reliability due to the REVO being TOTALLY RELIABLE and doing what it says on the can. :) :) :) :)

I just hope that Dave benefits from some kind of cash windfall before he parts with the bike, because now he's gone through all the pain and heart ache of getting to a winning and reliable position, it would only be fair for him to continue and enjoy some of the glory he deserves.

He had the appreciation of what the REVO could deliver (WITHOUT waiting for someone else to prove it first) and he had THE BALLS to be THE FIRST to use such a revolutionary system. Not only that but when there was doubt being thrown on the REVO system (due to a spat of engine failures - which we NEVER due to the REVO system), HE DIDN'T FLINCH in his commitment to seeing the project through.

I owe Dave a MASSIVE DEBT OF GRATITUDE and if the rest of the world ever wakes up to the potential of the REVO system, to such a degree that it makes substantial amounts of money, Dave will be the first one to benefit - well after me that is. ;)

So even if he has to retire now, with a bit of luck we'll be able to tempt him back at a later date to pilot a much better bike. :twisted:

I give you Dave Bailey - an extremely smart guy with foresight, commitment, determination, LOTS OF BOTTLE and now A REAL WINNER!!!!!

Your appreciation please. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: REVO DAVE BAILEY IS BACK ON THE NUMBERS & WINS AT POD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:51 pm 
Wizard

:bow:

My 840 is like a hot stripper.
I just keep throwing money at her and hope that someday she will give me the ride of my life

Achieved 10 July 2011
13.7 @ 100 mph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:32 pm 
Learner

:D :D congratulations on the win,

Austin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:12 pm 

Hi :)

VERY well done Dave :)

With Revos it was only a matter of time until you did it :) :) :)

I never understood anyone saying that Revos could cause failures as mine are smooth as silk and a total and amazing upgrade from Pulsoids.....

Well done again ........... :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:05 am 
Learner

Brilliant :salute:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Apparently its not a new REVO PB as Dave ran a couple of 7.0s soon after we fitted the REVO, which because it was so long ago now and as he's had so many engine problems since that have prevented him running anywhere near as quick, I'd been incorrectly attributing to the Pulsoid system.

That means Dave had already proved the REVO system produces quicker ET's than the Pulsoid system and this run just proves he's back where we were before the engine issues set us back.

Dave's also passed on a couple of other interesting and very important facts about the runs this weekend;
1) His tire is old and well past its best and as a result he was having traction problems. To overcome this he was FINE TUNING the Max/REVO system delivery (REMOVING power) at EVERY POINT in the run where the logger indicated wheel spin. He was basically using less and less power at the start and this showed up in his short time breaks which were 'less than impressive'.
2) To make up for the lack of traction and the lack of ability to use power early in the run he was increasing the top end power.

This is a VERY IMPORTANT ADVANTAGE of a REVO system, as that would NOT be possible with a Pulsoid system, because increasing the jet size to achieve higher top end power delivery, would result in an INCREASE IN LOW END POWER DELIVERY and a reduction in jets to deliver less low end power would result in LESS top end power.

Dave's TOTALLY CONFIDENT that had the tire/traction been as good as new, he'd have run a 6 sec pass on that run.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:46 pm 
Learner

Well done Dave.... I missed seeing the final tho i did see your earlier 7.3 passes.

For anyone that didnt go, all in all the meeting lived up to its name... "Extreme Performance Bike Weekend", not only with Dave running probably his best meeting this year but superstreet finally breaking the 200mph barrier and Tim Blakemore running a 6.7 on his ZZR1400 based funny bike in qualifying

From the business side of things, maybe its time to temp a superstreet bike over to the dark side Trev? These guys are running 7.1's with a 68" wheelbase on streetlegal tyres!! Compete with those and the REVO would more than be on the map and undoubtedly the most popular class at the moment, with up to 30 entries per meeting....

Anyway, again congrats Dave, hopefully something will tempt you back out next season, if not enjoy your retirement while it lasts as i doubt you'll be away for long lol

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Dave Bailey is a UNIQUE British individual in that he DOESN'T dislike me and he WANTED to run the REVO's but I'm quite sure that ALL Super Street bikers will continue to FOLLOW the turbo route, regardless of whatever the REVO has to offer.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:24 pm 
Learner

Hi folks, thanks very much :)

I won! woohoo! :) but you knew that already :) however I think I also might have ended up as runner up in the ACU national Funnybike Championship! TBC

I got it home and took the plugs out to find number 2 melted... great I thought! :evil: Took the head off. you wont believe how much of the head is missing between the exhaust valves of no 2! interestingly this is exactly where a hairline crack was - well the seats are so close together there's little in the way of aluminium between them. Thinking about it that plug was slightly leaner than the others on the previous run(s) too...

the rest of the head is flawless so it wasnt the nitrous - which means with a good head we could put even more in it! Also that pass had 18 degrees of ignition taken out of it! so there was possibly 6+ degrees more timing we could put in. I didn't get the logger data because the laptop turned itself off mid download and crashed the logger programme (which will have to be re-installed :tard: ), but theoretically it would have been slightly richer than the previous run which was 11.5 on the lambda.

so for the REVO system that was good news! :yes: 250bhp of nitrous and perfect combustion... in 3 cylinders... :lol:

looking at the video there was a "valves melting" puff of smoke at about 4 secs and a "piston rings given up" billow of smoke at about 6 seconds. So all in all 7.101 @ 183mph wasn't at all bad!

The earlier couple of 7.3 passes I made that day were both backed off before the end as I wanted to ensure I got to the final. Each time I'd tuned the start a bit better plus raised the power a bit more, so didn't need to hold it for the full track. And lucky I did back off by the look of it else that dodgy cylinder would have given up earlier ;)

...who sais you have to change one thing at a time?! with the REVO you can both; tune the launch, and raise the maximum power further down the track, AND drop the power mid track to save on parts but still go quick!

Just a few new parts (inc. the skulled head), another sunny race meeting, and the bike will be deep into those pesky 6s!

Thanks again guys. Revos are the way forward for sure :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:27 pm 
Learner

...plus I finally topped the 160mph mark at half track! I've done a few 159s before but finally got to 160 :)

...not bad for 3 cylinders

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:44 am 
Learner

What is your best 60?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:52 am 
Learner

2rismo wrote:
What is your best 60?

a good one for me is 1.10, but I've run a best of 1.03

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Its so far been unfortunately the case, that Dave has NEVER had a run where all his best sector times have come together.

My bet is (and Dave could probably calculate it), that if that had ever been achieved it would have resulted in a 6.7 ish time.

All it needs now is a NEW tire, a skulled cylinder head and for all the best sector times to come together in the same run and that would result in a reliable and repeatable European record run, that would also give the Funny Bikes a run for their money. :twisted:

Having said that I'm guessing that right now it also needs a piston and liner, plus the crank/rods would benefit from refreshing, just to be on the safe side.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:

My bet is (and Dave could probably calculate it), that if that had ever been achieved it would have resulted in a 6.7 ish time.

best times from switching to the Revo gives a 6.929
taking account of crazy quick 60fts I did at the beginning of my career that gives 6.858
interesting fact: the last pass where it was running on 3 cylinders gave me my quickest ever 1000ft to 1/4 split time (to add to the fastest speed at half track)

All it needs now is a NEW tire, a skulled cylinder head and for all the best sector times to come together in the same run and that would result in a reliable and repeatable European record run, that would also give the Funny Bikes a run for their money. :twisted:

Having said that I'm guessing that right now it also needs a piston (got one!) and liner (naa, nothing a quick hone wont fix), plus the crank/rods would benefit from refreshing (could do with it's annual check - as could the gearbox), just to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

Bugger ..... a tenth or two out. :redface:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:57 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Dave Bailey is a UNIQUE British individual in that he DOESN'T dislike me and he WANTED to run the REVO's but I'm quite sure that ALL Super Street bikers will continue to FOLLOW the turbo route, regardless of whatever the REVO has to offer.

Some use gas and turbo's, but thats the point really, the ONE class real impact could be made, if Cecil can get gixer 1000's to run 7.1's on nitrous then theres no reason why it cant be done here. Obviously i dont know the rules applied in Cecil's case, but my guess is one of the 2 classes wouldnt be far from superstreet.
Now something akin to one of Cecils bikes with someone like Steve Venables on board who is more than capable of running 7.2's and under and i think people would really take notice.
I only say this as superstreet seems to be the one that draws peoples attention the most, i think even Dave would agree with me there. Maybe its because these are the ones that still look like the busa etc in the car park to some extent, but even the car crowd seem to get involved in the "ooo"'s and "arrrr"s when they run....
Just my 2 pennerth worth lol. Not trying to take anything away from Daves achievements as i think he's done a splendid job, especially with the budget he has. And superstreet put bums on seats.
Pre accident, i would have suggested Richard Gipp as a potential rider, especially as he's moved from pro stock to comp bike where nitrous is allowed (Incidentally, it was Richards pro stocker that Dave beat in the final with Kev Charmen on board, 7.6 none to shabby for a N/A bike eh? Especially as i beleive it was only Kevs 4th pass on it!!). Then again, maybe entice Cecil to ship a couple of bikes over for a meet if the rules are close enough?? Certainly something thats happened in the past on the car front....

Anyway, congrats to all, and may 2011 be even better

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Some use gas and turbo's,
'Some' may use nitrous as well as turbo but the FOOLS use NOS kits because they 'think' they are better than WON. Funny how MANY MORE AMERICAN Drag racer's realise how bad US made kits are and how much BETTER WON systems are, than Brit racers. :?

but thats the point really, the ONE class real impact could be made, if Cecil can get gixer 1000's to run 7.1's on nitrous then theres no reason why it cant be done here.
Well there's a few points to clear up there;
1) The GSX 1000 motor is in his Real Street bike which holds the world record at 7.81
2) The bikes that will soon be running 7.0s (if not 6.9s) are Busa's
3) Whatever the engine, his bikes cost approx. $80,000 each, so there's not going to be many (if any) potential UKcandidates in a position to buy/build such a high spec bike, never mind run one as quick as his feather weight jockey's.

Obviously i dont know the rules applied in Cecil's case, but my guess is one of the 2 classes wouldnt be far from superstreet.
Neither do I but as far as I can tell the Pro Street class which is where the low 7s are being run, is slightly advantageous to (but very close to) our Super Street. I also believe that the nitrous bikes are allowed certain dispensations over turbo bikes in Pro Street, which I guess will not be the case in the UK but I think those advantages will be dropped in the US (which I'd be happy about because I want to beat turbo's on equal terms), once Cecil's boys show the class what they can do when it all comes together for them. :twisted:

Now something akin to one of Cecils bikes with someone like Steve Venables on board who is more than capable of running 7.2's and under and i think people would really take notice.
True but as NOBODY I'm aware of has the slightest appreciation of my products in the UK who has the money and ability that Venables has, I don't see ANY chance of that happening soon, if ever. :evil:

I only say this as superstreet seems to be the one that draws peoples attention the most, i think even Dave would agree with me there. Maybe its because these are the ones that still look like the busa etc in the car park to some extent, but even the car crowd seem to get involved in the "ooo"'s and "arrrr"s when they run....
I'm sure Dave does agree and so do I but it's not a matter of agreeing or otherwise. I've NEVER had a UK customer with enough money to buy himself a coffee never mind an $80,000 bike and I don't see that changing and that's why it's taken an American to show what my products can do.

Just my 2 pennerth worth lol. Not trying to take anything away from Daves achievements as i think he's done a splendid job, especially with the budget he has. And superstreet put bums on seats.
The reasons we went with Dave Bailey are;
1) Pro Mod / Funny bike is/are the ULTIMATE class for nitrous use.
2) He was the ONLY Brit who was smart enough to appreciate the REVO in the Pro Mod / Funny Bike class.
3) He was already doing well with a Pulsoid system and was being restricted by the limitations of even the best pulsed technology, so he was KEEN to try the REVO.
4) We knew he was committed enough to see the project through, no matter what setbacks he/we encountered.

Pre accident, i would have suggested Richard Gipp as a potential rider, especially as he's moved from pro stock to comp bike where nitrous is allowed (Incidentally, it was Richards pro stocker that Dave beat in the final with Kev Charmen on board, 7.6 none to shabby for a N/A bike eh? Especially as i beleive it was only Kevs 4th pass on it!!).
Fair play to both in that case.

Then again, maybe entice Cecil to ship a couple of bikes over for a meet if the rules are close enough?? Certainly something thats happened in the past on the car front....
I'd LOVE to arrange that to show the Brit's that are too stupid to appreciate WON what they could be doing IF they had the sense but Cecil is far too busy running at US events to have the time to spare to do that. :(
If it had been possible it would no doubt be a SERIOUS promotional event that would be a 2 finger job to every Brit racer who uses NOS JUNK.
:twisted:

Dave will have an announcement to make at some time in the near future but I'll leave him to provide you with the details.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 pm 
Learner

Fair dues, i have a feeling i know possibly what the announcement may be, but unusually, i will stay quiet lol.....
Maybe next season will be able to show a few the errors of their ways myself, tho will have to cut out a few takeaways like the chinese ive just put away LOL. Its my understanding that 8.50 receives championship status next season, and battle plans are being drawn up to enter the fray somepoint next season.
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:03 pm 
Learner

Announcement eh?!
Well, the bike is now sold.
:yes:

Oh, you want more?! :rolleyes:

Despite this it looks like I'll still be riding it next year.
In the national UK rounds.
Oh and probably in the FIM European rounds.
Complete with REVOs :yes:

So fingers crossed! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

:wav: :wav: :wav:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 pm 
Learner

Scalded Cat wrote:
Announcement eh?!
Well, the bike is now sold.
:yes:

Oh, you want more?! :rolleyes:

Despite this it looks like I'll still be riding it next year.
In the national UK rounds.
Oh and probably in the FIM European rounds.
Complete with REVOs :yes:

So fingers crossed! ;)

So does this mean we'll be seeing you in the vicinity of king's lynn now and again?? Lol
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:28 pm 
Learner

could be...

:hal