NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spider & the effects of acceleration on fuel delivery
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

It has been suggested by some people who are inadequately informed, that the Spider fuel delivery is adversely affect by acceleration and as a consequence causes the front cylinders to run leaner than the rest.

It didn't seem that my 35 years of experience was enough, to convince some people that would not be the case and a consequence I decided to get an INDEPENDENT ASSESSMENT from the MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE person (especially in the field of fuel delivery), that I've ever had the privilege to know.

That person is Bruce Robertson (from Australia where else) and he's responsible for the design and manufacture of the BEST carbs in the world; http://www.smartcarby.com/index.htm
Johnny Barb discovered the guy and was so impressed by his knowledge that he put us in touch and since then we've exchanged numerous technical emails and he's been good enough to post a couple of VERY TECHNICAL posts on my forum.

After providing Bruce with a bunch of technical data about the Spider and asking him what he would predict the effect of accelerative G-force would have on the fuel flow through the Spider, he sent me the following reply;

HI Trev, the answer I have is for every inch of length of spider tube facing fully forward at 1 g acceleration the change in fuel lbs per hour exiting the spider tube will be changed from 125.28 lbs per hour to 124.67 lbs per hour.
For the spider tubes facing rearward the fuel rate increases the same difference. So the total fuel is still the same but the distribution is different. For the spider tubes facing sideways there is no change as they are not subjected to G force.
The result is the same whether a single jet is used or the individual ones are used.

So the general rule is for 1 g and 1 inch you change the flow by 0.5%. For a 2" long spider tube the flow will change double that to 1% change and for 2g's the change will be double etc.
A powerful sedan drag car is about 1.75 G as an average for acceleration beyond 30 feet of track with around 2 to 2.5 g at the hit on the line. Most cars trail off to about .6 or .7g at the finish line.

I'm calling the brass tubes you have that form the spider legs, the spider tubes. Because some of them are facing forward they will flow less amount of fuel under G-force.
Fuel density affects the numbers a little bit as does viscosity but I've used average figures for unleaded.

Bruce

For anyone who doesn't see how insignificant the effect of G will be on the fuel delivery from the above email, here's the reply I sent him;

Hi Bruce,

MANY thanks for the assessment.

Based on those figures, even if the front tubes pointed directly forward (which they don't as they aim diagonally towards the front 2 cylinders), I guess you'd agree that such a small change in flow is unlikely to result ANY serious component failure, if any at all?

Best regards

Trev

His response was

Absolutely correct, its negligible. Have a good day. See ya.

I hope this puts an end to ALL speculation about the Spiders ability to deliver adequately EVEN fuel to all cylinders.

I've had to make the following statement numerous times over the years but here goes one more time;

JUST BECAUSE an engine suffers a failure when using a nitrous system IT DOES NOT 'AUTOMATICALLY' FOLLOW that the nitrous system ACTUALLY CAUSED the failure. There are NUMEROUS other factors that are all to easily overlooked, that are more likely candidates for such failures and by FALSELY BLAMING the nitrous or nitrous components all you are doing is MISSING THE OPPORTUNITY to find and deal with the ACTUAL CAUSE, which puts you at risk of a repeat of the failure.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Spider & the effects of acceleration on fuel delivery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 pm 
Wizard

That is a very interesting read Trev. I've had a look at Bruces site and those carby's he makes are so very very nice. The guy obviousdly knows what he is talking about when it comes down to fuel delivery with his carbs.

You may have misunderstood my concerns with the fuel delivery from the front legs of the spider.

It is not about G force affecting the the VOLUME of fuel from the front spider legs. It is more about G force affecting the direction of delivery.

I have tested my spider in free air with fuel and nitrous flowing. The fuel dribbles from all the legs and drops onto the front of the nitrous legs so the fuel can be drawn into the nitrous flow. I did not see any appreciable suction effect of the nitrous plume that caused the fuel stream to be drawn forwards away from the end of the fuel legs into the nitrous stream. Maybe you have a WON video to show this effect?

My own basic testing showed that with the plate inclined backwards just a few degree's saw the fuel from the front legs was a slave to surface tension and tended to stick to the bottom of the fuel leg which caused some of the fuel to miss the opportunity to be drawn into the nitrous stream. Therefore the fuel that cannot be drawn into the nitrous stream from the front legs would tend to run off the manifold onto the floor of the plenum. I guess this would mean that under acceleration that this excess fuel would tend to seep backwards on the floor of the manifold ??

It is NOT the actual fuel volume from the front pipes of the spider that I am questioning. It is the diection of the fuel flow and where it ultimately ends up.

As I have said to you via private email before. I have had satisfactory results on the dyno with the spider once I had jetted it to suit my inlet manifold design. But on track it behaves in a different manner?

THIS WAS MY MAIN CONCERN !!

Now lets talk about the effects of airflow in the inlet manifold affecting the fuel flow from the front legs of the spider when the car is running a 1/4 mile pass.
I cant comment on this and we both know that we cannot see this effect in real life. So we have to rely on our plug readings. And my plug readings showed very lean on the front two cylinders (if not melted) of my V8. And lean on cylinders 3 and 4, and then progressively rich to the back cylinders.

I have already concluded that the best way to run a spider (in my opinion and from my own testing would be):
High presure fuel delivery of 3 bar.
Jet the spider fuel legs and not the pulsoid outlets.
Jet the spider nitrous legs with less gas for the shorter runners of the inlet manifold.
Make the spider fuel legs longer than the nitrous legs.

If the fuel leaving the legs of the spider has a good head of presure behind it and the jets is in the leg it will have more velocity at its outlet in order to make it, no! Force it to flow where it is needed. If the fuel leg of the spider is long enough it could be made to drop the fuel in front of the nitrous stream so it has no choice but to go where it is needed. And if reversion is an issue when the inlet valve is closed at least the fuel will be in with, or in front of the nitrous stream.

And heres my own personal thoughts on how the spider could be a world beater on nitrous delivery!!!

Fit fuel injectors in the inlet runners of the manifold and use the spider for nitrous only.

I'm sure you will have your own comments in reply but as this is an open forum I'm happy to voice my opinions based on my own experiences. And I'm happy to take all comments and feedback to enlighten me.

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:44 pm 

Hi Perry :)

Interesting post but i have to disagree with some of it...

Take my engine as an example, which is not a lot different to yours in a general sense.. 4.7 ltr with FI (not carbs)

Now when I ran lower Nitrous (150/200 hp) I also had a problem with 2 cylinders.. BUT..it was the back two.. not the front...now when i was running that sort of hp I basically had a single crossfire that fed into the plenum across a hole in the middle of the plenum , much like feeding down the spider in the centre of your manifold (or Rons)

Now as previously stated my problem was with the REAR 2 cylinders running lean and somewhere on here is a very nice piccy of a rear plug that I totally melted....a bit like Rons...

Now its a KNOWN fact amongst 928 owners that those cylinders run lean under any sort of forced induction BECAUSE OF THE PLENUM INLET MANIFOLD DESIGN, and therfore I never even thought of blaming the crossfire.

In fact when I changed to my Fuel discharge tubes for my DP/Revo system and sent my plenum to WON to have them fitted it became obvious why all 928s have the rear cylinders problem...there is a huge internal casting at the rear which I suspect was originally designed for a fitting bolt to be drilled through the plenum and although it was never used, the internal part was left (no idea why, ask Porsche lol)

So Trev and the guys did some VERY clever diagnosing/drilling/removal and my rear cylinder problem was gone... :)

The point I am making is that I had absolutely no problem with the front two cylinders either from gravity or G-Forces affecting direction of travel..and IF there had been it might have actually improved my rear cylinder problem..but it didnt of course as it didnt exist....only my badly designed plenum did.

Just one final thought about G-Forces and direction of fuel travel....

When a Top Fuel car loses a cylinder or 3 its NOT usually the front cylinders...normally its middle or rear...and a Fueller has a LOT more G-Forces than any of us run....

Just a few thoughts...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:10 am 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
The guy obviousdly knows what he is talking about when it comes down to fuel delivery with his carbs.
You're doing him an immense disservice to make the assertion that his EXTENSIVE knowledge is limited to carb fuel delivery. Did you not read his contribution to our forum on the subjects of AFR & detonation, which were SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE stuff.

You may have misunderstood my concerns with the fuel delivery from the front legs of the spider.
Not from what I remember Perry and I'm sure you'll find that if you look back through your original posts, that you started off by claiming that G-force was the problem and that you INCORRECTLY asserted that you were replicating the effects of G-force, by testing the flow of the Spider while held at an angle!!!!
For the record that is TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE & ABSURD.
Furthermore, ANY testing OUTSIDE THE MANIFOLD is TOTALLY WORTHLESS and even most testing inside a manifold that's NOT on a running engine, is just as WORTHLESS, because neither bears ANY resemblance to what happens in a manifold on a running engine.

It is not about G force affecting the the VOLUME of fuel from the front spider legs. It is more about G force affecting the direction of delivery.
Am I on a different planet to you Perry, as I can't see any difference between those 2 statements, other than one is more generalised??? Either way the end result you are IMPLYING, based on TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE testing, is that some cylinders run lean.

I have tested my spider in free air with fuel and nitrous flowing. The fuel dribbles from all the legs and drops onto the front of the nitrous legs so the fuel can be drawn into the nitrous flow. I did not see any appreciable suction effect of the nitrous plume that caused the fuel stream to be drawn forwards away from the end of the fuel legs into the nitrous stream. Maybe you have a WON video to show this effect?
I didn't bother to video that process, because it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE that LIQUID nitrous flow, creates a PULL on EVERYTHING within the affected vicinity, which can extend beyond a 2" radius (IN ALL DIRECTIONS) in some instances. I didn't bother watching the full video of your 'testing', as it was TOTALLY POINTLESS up to 3/4 of the way through, so unless you then tested with LIQUID nitrous flow, with the jet sizes you had in use in the engine (at the end or at some other time), I've only seen you briefly flowing GASEOUS nitrous, which OBVIOUSLY won't have as strong a 'pull' as liquid.
If you still doubt the FACT that LIQUID nitrous flow creates a PULL, take another look (as I'm sure you must have seen this before), at the end of this high quality and classy video from Zex
:omgrofl: :omgrofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxaFwOPR0H8

My own basic testing showed that with the plate inclined backwards just a few degree's saw the fuel from the front legs was a slave to surface tension and tended to stick to the bottom of the fuel leg which caused some of the fuel to miss the opportunity to be drawn into the nitrous stream. Therefore the fuel that cannot be drawn into the nitrous stream from the front legs would tend to run off the manifold onto the floor of the plenum. I guess this would mean that under acceleration that this excess fuel would tend to seep backwards on the floor of the manifold ??
You've hit the nail right on the head, with the opening statement of this paragraph, your testing was BASIC, so basic in fact as to be of NO WORTH and has to be, the most RIDICULOUS testing and conclusion, that I've ever heard, for the reason I stated above!!!!
Just in case you missed that reasons, I'll repeat it again;
Your test conditions bear NOT EVEN THE SLIGHTEST RESEMBLANCE to what ACTUALLY happens in a manifold on a running engine.
When an engine is running the air is NOT 'STILL' as in your test.
When you fire the nitrous system, the plumes are NOT firing into vast open space as in your test.

For ANY test on the Spider (or ANY other form of nitrous and/or fuel discharge intended for inside a manifold), TO HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST VALUE, IT 'MUST' BE CARRIED OUT IN THE CONDITIONS IT IS USED IN!!!!
Even when the engine is running at different RPM and under different loads, the conditions in the manifold are DIFFERENT at different points, as well as ENTIRELY DIFFERENT to when the engine is stopped. Therefore, even if you'd tested the Spider fitted to a manifold while fitted to an engine WITH THE ENGINE STATIONARY, even then YOUR test results & conclusions WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS WORTHLESS and yet your tests weren't even that close to simulating REAL CONDITIONS!!!!

As I have said to you via private email before. I have had satisfactory results on the dyno with the spider once I had jetted it to suit my inlet manifold design.
That PROVES CONCLUSIVELY that the Spider design works as intended, as I stated in the reply to your PM, that you didn't even have the decency to respond to, after I'd gone to great lengths to explain the errors in your thinking, experimental procedures and your conclusions, as well as point you in the RIGHT direction to find your problems.

But on track it behaves in a different manner?
That as I also explained is ONLY 'YOUR OPINION' which as clearly demonstrated then and now above here, is based on your FLAWED testing, as well as your unwillingness to ACCEPT THAT YOU ARE WRONG, despite having provided you with more likely causes of the problem, which are based on my THIRTY FIVE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE and is now supported by an INDEPENDENT & EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE person.

THIS WAS MY MAIN CONCERN !!
A concern that is entirely UNFOUNDED, that I addressed extensively in my PM to you and have done so again above but it's now more OBVIOUS than ever, that you 'THINK' you know better than both Bruce and myself, purely based on your PATHETIC, TOTALLY INADEQUATE & TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE testing.

Now lets talk about the effects of airflow in the inlet manifold affecting the fuel flow from the front legs of the spider when the car is running a 1/4 mile pass.
I cant comment on this and we both know that we cannot see this effect in real life.
That's the ONLY accurate statement you've made and that's because you are declaring what you DON'T KNOW and in this instance I agree but what that further proves is how USELESS & POINTLESS your testing was.

Whilst I have NO IDEA what is going on in the manifold FOR CERTAIN, Bruce has EXTENSIVE KNOWLEDGE ON THE MATTER, so rather than GUESSING as you are choosing to do, I'm more than happy to LISTEN to his comments on the subject and IF you had any sense you'd do the same.

So we have to rely on our plug readings. And my plug readings showed very lean on the front two cylinders (if not melted) of my V8. And lean on cylinders 3 and 4, and then progressively rich to the back cylinders.
The plug readings DO NOT 'JUST' show what the nitrous system is doing, they ALSO SHOW what the ENTIRE FUEL/OXYGEN charge is doing. Furthermore, acceleration is WELL KNOWN to affect the fuel flow FROM THE CARB EXTREMELY BADLY, so how does your plug reading tell you it's the fuel from the Spider that is being affected by G and NOT the fuel from the carb????

Bear in mind that the fuel from the carb ONLY has the force of induction 'ENCOURAGING' it towards the front cylinders, whilst still being 'ENCOURAGED' to ALL the others at approx. the same time and that it has MUCH FURTHER to travel to the cylinder, than the fuel from the Spider. In contrast, the fuel from the Spider is being directed to each cylinder INDIVIDUALLY, from within a couple of inches or less of the port entry and is also BEING ASSISTED TO ITS DESTINATION, by not only the nitrous plume but also a STRONGER signal from each cylinder, due to it's closer proximity and that's forgetting any fuel pressure there may be.

Now I don't know for sure if that is the cause of the problem (I believe there are a number of other potential alternatives causes, ALL of which I gave you in the PM and ALL of which you've decided to IGNORE), but based on simple physics and the laws of probability, I'd say that the increased G created by using the nitrous, acting on the fuel from the carb, had a MUCH GREATER CHANCE of being the cause of your distribution problems, than the fuel from the Spider, just as is the case on MOST nitrous assisted cars.

That being said, I'm not the IDIOT JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS THAT ARE DEVOID OF 'ANY' BASIS IN FACT, as I'm just assessing the situation in a LOGICAL manner using my UN-common sense, in an effort to find the REAL CAUSE of a problem, whilst keeping an open mind on the subject, because 'I' like to know THE TRUE FACTS rather than just pin the blame on the most convenient component, regardless of the truth.

I have already concluded that the best way to run a spider (in my opinion and from my own testing would be):
High presure fuel delivery of 3 bar.
Jet the spider fuel legs and not the pulsoid outlets.
Jet the spider nitrous legs with less gas for the shorter runners of the inlet manifold.
Make the spider fuel legs longer than the nitrous legs.
As stated above, your 'CONCLUSIONS' are based on ILL-CONCEIVED tests, which were carried out in an ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE manner and therefore are ENTIRELY WRONG!!!!
Having said that, the format you describe for using the Spider is likely to solve 'your problem', BECAUSE IT WILL COMPENSATE FOR THE FUEL FROM THE CARB BEING THROWN TO THE BACK OF THE MANIFOLD, just as people who use US kits have to juggle their jet patterns to solve the same problems.

Achieving a cure to your problem that way would no doubt lead you to 'THINK' that it proves you are right about the fuel from the Spider being the problem, however, as described above, IT WOULD DO NOTHING OF THE KIND!!!!

If the fuel leaving the legs of the spider has a good head of presure behind it and the jets is in the leg it will have more velocity at its outlet in order to make it, no! Force it to flow where it is needed. If the fuel leg of the spider is long enough it could be made to drop the fuel in front of the nitrous stream so it has no choice but to go where it is needed. And if reversion is an issue when the inlet valve is closed at least the fuel will be in with, or in front of the nitrous stream.
ALL that statement proves is HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW & UNDERSTAND ABOUT NITROUS FLOW.

And heres my own personal thoughts on how the spider could be a world beater on nitrous delivery!!!
Fit fuel injectors in the inlet runners of the manifold and use the spider for nitrous only.
For ALL the reasons provided in my distant PM (which you've obviously IGNORED) and repeated above (which hopefully for your sake you'll take notice of this time), NONE of your suggestions are of any relevance, as the Spider performs PERFECTLY WELL as I designed it.

I'm sure you will have your own comments in reply but as this is an open forum I'm happy to voice my opinions based on my own experiences. And I'm happy to take all comments and feedback to enlighten me.
I'm glad to hear it and I hope you are suitably ENLIGHTENED and the reason I say that is as follows;

1) I've allowed you to make INCORRECT & NEGATIVE ASSUMPTIONS/STATEMENTS about the Spider on this forum for far too long.
2) I'm guessing you've probably made similar posts elsewhere on other forums.
3) You've propagated this RUBBISH verbally to others.
4) You've posted an EXTREMELY MISLEADING video on Youtube.
ALL of which will be having an adverse effect on people's opinions of the Spider, which is probably having an adverse effect on the sales of my Spider plates, which may even have knock on adverse effects on my other products.

Now although I've been EXTREMELY UNHAPPY about your handling of this matter (ESPECIALLY IGNORING my PM to you after I went to immense trouble, to type it out in an effort to direct you to the ACTUAL CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM), I've allowed you to continue to make such posts, because until now I haven't had any INDEPENDENT evidence, to prove my claims for the Spider to be CORRECT and therefore YOURS TO BE WRONG.
However, now that is no longer the case, I'm no longer willing to tolerate the potential adverse effect, that your BASELESS ASSUMPTIONS are likely to be causing.

On the up side, having allowed you to post your BASELESS ASSUMPTIONS, should have proved to the world, that I don't delete ADVERSE posts from my forum, even when I'm CERTAIN that they are JUST THAT.
However, as I only allow FACTS on this forum and now that I have such a high level INDEPENDENT SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE, confirming that even in your wildest dreams, the Spider COULD NOT be responsible for what you have experienced, IT'S TIME TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT.

Therefore I repeat that I 'HOPE' you have been suitably "ENLIGHTENED" because if that's not the case and you choose to stick to your ILL-FOUNDED OPINION, rather than openly accept the SUPERIOR KNOWLEDGE that has been presented, there will be consequences for that choice.
:idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Brett928S2 wrote:
The point I am making is that I had absolutely no problem with the front two cylinders either from gravity or G-Forces affecting direction of travel..and IF there had been it might have actually improved my rear cylinder problem..but it didnt of course as it didnt exist....only my badly designed plenum did.
Your car is a PERFECT EXAMPLE Brett to PROVE that the fuel from the nitrous source is LESS LIKELY to be affected by G-Force than the carb fuel, because YOU DON'T HAVE A CARB AND SURPRISE, SURPRISE, YOU DON'T HAVE A DISTRIBUTION PROBLEM that is caused by G either.
For the record, one of the main reasons that high end cars are going to injection instead of carbs is for this very reason and it's why we'll be switching my current Swedish Pro mod customers car over from Dommi's to our own injection system.
:idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:14 am 
Learner

mgbv8 wrote:
**SNIP**

Daniel Bernoulli is rolling over in his grave.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:04 am 
Wizard

All info and feed back I get is always taken on board Trev. I still have my opinions just as you have yours. I'm not sure how my test results on dyno and track can be called anything other than actual data? I understand that my data is totally specific to my engine only. Thats why I have asked to be put in touch with anyone who runs a spider with good results so I can get first hand information. The only information on the spider is what it should do. I want to talk to someone who has got one tuned and running because they will have information about how they set it up. Or in fact if they needed to do anything to it at all to run well on the track.

My testing and analysis of whats going on with my spider setup may be flawed in your opinion. But at least I am doing some real world testing and trying to come up with some information about how this thing works with my engine. I havent found anyone else coming back with any useful test data from the track. And maybe my results are one thing and my understanding of those results is another which is wrong. Without trial and error there would be no data. Once all the wrong answers have been identified and sifted from the equation all that can be left is the truth eh? So someone needs to do testing of some sort with a spider on the 1/4 mile.

The spider is on the back burner for this year as I am working on the blower + won system as you know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:59 am 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
All info and feed back I get is always taken on board Trev.
That's OBVIOUSLY NOT the case AGAIN!!!

I still have my opinions just as you have yours.
MY statements are NOT 'OPINIONS' - 'OPINIONS' are statements that CAN'T be supported by provable FACTS and are therefore open to doubt and as a consequence usually prove to be WRONG.
My statements are FACTS which are supported by other FACTS & now supported by an INDEPENDENT person, who has based that support on mathematical calculations using the laws of physics.
What you have to say is MOST CERTAINLY an 'OPINION' and if you insist on holding on to it when you have NOT even the slightest understanding of what you are doing and when proved to be wrong by not only one person who has 35 YEARS of related experience but also a second who has even greater and more specific knowledge on the matter, THEN YOU ARE A BIGGER FOOL THAN ANYONE ELSE I HAVE EVER MET.

I'm not sure how my test results on dyno and track can be called anything other than actual data?
I'm ASTONISHED AT THE STUPIDITY of that question!!!!!!
Sure you can call it "data" but as I've CLEARLY pointed out in my previous posts;
1) YOUR "data" IS WORTHLESS & INCORRECT because it is NOT carried out in a the way the Spider IS USED.
2) Even if it had been correct and useful "data", YOU have used it to JUMPED TO SENSELESS CONCLUSIONS.

Your test is just as WORTHLESS & INCORRECT, as if I carried out a test to determine if a rat could live on the moon, by seeing how they managed to perform HERE. Just as my test would be TOTALLY UNREPRESENTATIVE of the conditions the rat would experience on the moon, so to is your testing of a Spider in open air TOTALLY UNREPRESENTATIVE of how it performs in the manifold of a running engine.
IF you can't understand that SIMPLE LOGIC then you need to wise up and you need to realise, that you've NO business testing and 'ANALYSING' a product that you're TOTALLY INEPT to do.

Furthermore, to carry out COMPETENT analysis of ANYTHING CORRECTLY, you need to start with an OPEN MIND and you HAVE TO BE AWARE OF ALL THE POTENTIAL EXPLANATIONS that could cause the result. The FACT that you REFUSE to consider ALL the alternative explanations, despite the latest information being supplied from a source who is obviously much more intelligent and much more knowledgeable on the subject than you are, PROVES that you have a CLOSED MIND and that you are INTENT on holding on to 'your' OPINION, because either you're PLAIN STUPID or you're not man enough to acknowledge the TRUTH and accept that YOU ARE WRONG!!
By CHOOSING to take this path you are worse than IGNORANT of all the ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATIONS, because you are CHOOSING TO IGNORE THEM. Therefore on both counts it is IMPOSSIBLE for your 'conclusions' to have ANY VALIDITY.

In contrast to your attitude to dealing with this matter, I have thought LONG & HARD about ALL the potential explanations for your problems and I refrained from JUMPING TO ANY CONCLUSION (INCLUDING NOT ruling out the Spider as a cause until I had INDEPENDENT supporting evidence from a highly informed source) and I'm still NOT stating which of the other potential explanations is ACTUALLY THE CAUSE, because even though I have FAR MORE information than you have on the matter available to me to make an INFORMED & ACCURATE determination, I'M WELL AWARE that even then I still DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH information to come to ANY CONCLUSION.
YOU on the other hand (as I've repeatedly stated), are happy to JUMP TO A RIDICULOUS conclusion based on INCORRECT "data", which was acquired in a TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE manner, while IGNORING SCIENTIFIC FACTS, MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS & LOGIC.

I understand that my data is totally specific to my engine only. Thats why I have asked to be put in touch with anyone who runs a spider with good results so I can get first hand information. The only information on the spider is what it should do. I want to talk to someone who has got one tuned and running because they will have information about how they set it up. Or in fact if they needed to do anything to it at all to run well on the track.
That would all be fine IF you hadn't ALREADY jumped to RIDICULOUS CONCLUSION and refused to take on-board, all the knowledge and advice that you've been provided but it still has NO RELEVANCE TO THE CAUSE OF YOUR PROBLEM, because as I've PROVED, there isn't the SLIGHTEST REASON to think the Spider fuel delivery is the cause of the problem. You just want it to be that way, to cover up for YOUR INABILITY to achieve reliable results at the level you wanted when using it.
It's the age old story of some MUPPET wrecking his engine and blaming 'nitrous' (or any nitrous related component), rather than HIMSELF, to cover up HIS OWN INCOMPETENCE.

My testing and analysis of whats going on with my spider setup may be flawed in your opinion.
There's NO 'MAY' to the matter and it's NOT my 'OPINION' - IT IS A FACT THAT YOUR TESTING & ANALYSIS IS FLAWED!!! HAVE YOU GOT THAT YET???? JUST IN CASE I'LL SAY IT AGAIN;
IT IS NOT MY OPINION, IT IS A FACT THAT YOUR TESTING & ANALYSIS IS FLAWED - NOW DO YOU GET IT???

But at least I am doing some real world testing and trying to come up with some information about how this thing works with my engine. I havent found anyone else coming back with any useful test data from the track.
That would all be well and good IF you were carrying out your testing and analysis in a CORRECT & COMPETENT WAY (as Adam does when doing his testing) but by doing them in a TOTALLY INCOMPETENT & INCORRECT WAY, you are just wasting everyone's time who you involve in correcting your SHIT and spreading MISINFORMATION & LIES about my products.

And maybe my results are one thing and my understanding of those results is another which is wrong.
"MAYBE" is at least getting close to the ACTUAL FACT but there is NO "MAYBE" about ALL my statements on this issue. YOUR TESTING IS WRONG, YOUR RESULTS ARE WRONG AND YOUR CONCLUSION/UNDERSTANDING IS ENTIRELY WRONG.

Without trial and error there would be no data.
It would be better to have NO "data" than INCORRECT & MISLEADING "data" as you have, so that's NO justification for your position.

Once all the wrong answers have been identified and sifted from the equation all that can be left is the truth eh?
That would be fine if you were;
1) Informed enough to carry out APPROPRIATE testing CORRECTLY.
2) Smart enough and open minded enough to draw INFORMED & RATIONAL conclusions from the results.

Unfortunately that is OBVIOUSLY NOT THE CASE and as a consequence, your manner of handling this matter is more akin to dunking an innocent woman to determine if she is a witch, than anything remotely akin to a scientific procedure.

So someone needs to do testing of some sort with a spider on the 1/4 mile.
Just as I've done with ALL my products, I have the capability to judge the results WITHOUT the need to carry out specific track testing, because I understand the basic laws of physics and can apply logic when needed. Having said that, once again as with ALL my products, I carry out whatever testing I feel is appropriate (which is SUBSTANTIALLY MORE than any other company do), to ensure the results will be as expected, before I launch a product and then I carry out ongoing analysis of the results that my customers achieve.
With specific regard to the Spider;
I HAVE SEEN NO RESULTS THAT INDICATE THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH USING A SPIDER & CERTAINLY NO MORE SO THAN ANY OTHER BRAND OF PLATE.

FURTHERMORE, I HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH INDICATIONS TO CONCLUDE THAT THE SPIDER WAS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PROBLEMS, JUST AS I HAVE TO CONCLUDE THE SAME FOR RON.

ANYONE WHO 'THINKS' THE FACT THAT 2 SPIDERS HAVE BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH 'SIMILAR' ENGINE FAILURES PROVES THERE IS A FAULT WITH THE SPIDER, SHOULD REFLECT ON THE FACT THAT MANY 1,000 OF US NITROUS CUSTOMERS SUFFER 'SIMILAR' ENGINE FAILURES WITHOUT A SPIDER!!!!!

The spider is on the back burner for this year
I'M GLAD TO HEAR IT, as I've got more important things to do, than continually correct your INCORRECT ASSERTIONS on a subject that you know NOTHING ABOUT!!!!

With all the above in mind, I'm offering you ONE LAST CHANCE to review your position on this matter and I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO READ & LEARN from the FACTS that I've provided, keeping an open mind and then come back with an INFORMED response.
THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO OPEN YOUR EYES AND AVOID THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR PAST STUPIDITY!!!
I HOPE YOU'LL REALISE THE GRAVITY OF THIS SITUATION, based on the fact, that I SELDOM have to deal with a forum member in such blunt and forthright terms, as I'm having to do in this case.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 pm 
Wizard

I'm not sure how my test results on dyno and track can be called anything other than actual data?
Sure you can call it "data" but as I've CLEARLY pointed out in my previous posts;
1) YOUR "data" IS WORTHLESS & INCORRECT because it is NOT carried out in a the way the Spider IS USED.
2) Even if it had been correct and useful "data", YOU have used it to JUMPED TO SENSELESS CONCLUSIONS.

Your test is just as WORTHLESS & INCORRECT, as if I carried out a test to determine if a rat could live on the moon, by seeing how they managed to perform HERE. Just as my test would be TOTALLY UNREPRESENTATIVE of the conditions the rat would experience on the moon, so to is your testing of a Spider in open air TOTALLY UNREPRESENTATIVE of how it performs in the manifold of a running engine.
IF you can't understand that SIMPLE LOGIC then you need to wise up and you need to realise, that you've NO business testing and 'ANALYSING' a product that you're TOTALLY INEPT to do.

[color=#00FF00]Your talking about the fuel flow tests I did ages ago. The testing on the track and dyno is with the spider fitted to a running engine being run in anger either on the rollers or on the 1/4 mile. How can the results I see from a pass on the strip not be data that has been obtained from using the spider as it is meant to be used?

We will never agree on this matter. But I will pick up the spider next year and tinker again when I'm ready. Maybe by that time I'll have another viewpoint on how to use it. I will be using a complete spare engine for this testing only and I will have a selection of manifolds that I can cut about and play with.
Regarding the test of seeing just how the fuel gets drawn into the nitrous stream due to the capture area set up around the discharge tube end as the nitrous exits at a high speed.
would you expect to see maximum capture of fuel on a rig in free and still air, or from a rig inside a manifold on a running engine? This is where our thoughts go in opposite directions isnt it ?

I'm off to finish the pulsoid brackets on my DP system now :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:

Your talking about the fuel flow tests I did ages ago.
Yes I'm talking about that test BECAUSE that is the basis for your subsequent FLAWED ASSUMPTIONS and is the content of the video clip you have promoted by publishing it on YouTube.

The testing on the track and dyno is with the spider fitted to a running engine being run in anger either on the rollers or on the 1/4 mile. How can the results I see from a pass on the strip not be data that has been obtained from using the spider as it is meant to be used?
Yes that is "data" from the Spider IN USE - BUT as your mind had already been set on the WRONG path by the results of a FLAWED test, you then went on to JUMP TO INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS, as to what THAT "data" was indicating and you're continuing to do so REGARDLESS OF THE WEIGHT OF 'INFORMED' EVIDENCE AGAINST YOU.

We will never agree on this matter.
If that is the case and you still insist on IGNORING ALL THE FACTS THAT HAVE BEEN PRESENTED TO YOU, then you leave me with no alternative, as I've given you more than enough opportunities to ACCEPT THE FACTS!!!

I've allowed you to voice your BASELESS OPINIONS on my forum, despite the fact that it potentially damages my business and despite the fact, that I've provided you with not only alternative explanations based on my own extensive knowledge and experience but now, also provided that from an INDEPENDENT source and in response all you have to say is that "we will never agree". - NO acknowledgement of your INEPT capabilities to form such opinions, NO apology for ignoring my explanations, NO apology for failing to respond to my detailed PM that was sent to assist you, NO apology for damaging my business as a consequence of your BASELESS OPINIONS founded on FLAWED tests and INEPT analysis of the results.
I allowed you to do so, because I didn't have any INDEPENDENT supportive evidence to PROVE MY CASE but now that I do, I'm no longer willing to accept your stance on this matter.

The extent of your knowledge and experience of engines and associated matters, is MICROSCOPIC compared to my own, never mind that Bruce has and yet you have the AUDACITY to IGNORE ALL THAT and still claim you are right.

Furthermore, the state of essential aspects of your car and your past failures, are a glaringly obvious representation of your inadequacies in ALL regards, relating to vehicle preparation, etc. and yet you THINK that YOUR 'OPINION' is of ANY worth, when compared to not only my own FACTS but also those presented by Bruce - YOUR ARROGANCE OR YOUR STUPIDITY IS BEYOND BELIEF.

As a consequence of all the above and the fact that you've passed up all the opportunities I've offered you to rectify this matter amicably, I intend to take the following actions, unless you immediately act appropriately;
1) Consult my solicitor with a view to taking legal action against you, for damages to our sales as a consequence of your UNTRUE statements, on the basis that they are libellous and damaging to the company - for the record this is an entirely different situation to personal libel and will cost you dearly.
2) We will no longer provide you with ANY services or products.
3) You are no longer welcome on my forum and should your next post be anything other than a GENUINE and FULL RETRACTION of your UNTRUE statements against the use of the Spider, I will ban you.

This forum is for the promotion of TRUTH & FACTS, to educate and inform those who appreciate there is knowledge to be learned here, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T 'THINK' there is anything to learn here and that you can manage JUST BY JUMPING TO UNFOUNDED CONCLUSIONS.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
Your talking about the fuel flow tests I did ages ago.
Yes I'm talking about that test BECAUSE that is the basis for your subsequent FLAWED ASSUMPTIONS and is the content of the video clip you have promoted by publishing it on YouTube.

The testing on the track and dyno is with the spider fitted to a running engine being run in anger either on the rollers or on the 1/4 mile. How can the results I see from a pass on the strip not be data that has been obtained from using the spider as it is meant to be used?
Yes that is "data" from the Spider IN USE - BUT as your mind had already been set on the WRONG path by the results of a FLAWED test, you then went on to JUMP TO INCORRECT ASSUMPTIONS, as to what THAT "data" was indicating and you're continuing to do so REGARDLESS OF THE WEIGHT OF 'INFORMED' EVIDENCE AGAINST YOU.

We will never agree on this matter.
If that is the case and you still insist on IGNORING ALL THE FACTS THAT HAVE BEEN PRESENTED TO YOU, then you leave me with no alternative, as I've given you more than enough opportunities to ACCEPT THE FACTS!!!

I've allowed you to voice your BASELESS OPINIONS on my forum, despite the fact that it potentially damages my business and despite the fact, that I've provided you with not only alternative explanations based on my own extensive knowledge and experience but now, also provided that from an INDEPENDENT source and in response all you have to say is that "we will never agree". - NO acknowledgement of your INEPT capabilities to form such opinions, NO apology for ignoring my explanations, NO apology for failing to respond to my detailed PM that was sent to assist you, NO apology for damaging my business as a consequence of your BASELESS OPINIONS founded on FLAWED tests and INEPT analysis of the results.
I allowed you to do so, because I didn't have any INDEPENDENT supportive evidence to PROVE MY CASE but now that I do, I'm no longer willing to accept your stance on this matter.

The extent of your knowledge and experience of engines and associated matters, is MICROSCOPIC compared to my own, never mind that Bruce has and yet you have the AUDACITY to IGNORE ALL THAT and still claim you are right.

Furthermore, the state of essential aspects of your car and your past failures, are a glaringly obvious representation of your inadequacies in ALL regards, relating to vehicle preparation, etc. and yet you THINK that YOUR 'OPINION' is of ANY worth, when compared to not only my own FACTS but also those presented by Bruce - YOUR ARROGANCE OR YOUR STUPIDITY IS BEYOND BELIEF.

As a consequence of all the above and the fact that you've passed up all the opportunities I've offered you to rectify this matter amicably, I intend to take the following actions, unless you immediately act appropriately;
1) Consult my solicitor with a view to taking legal action against you, for damages to our sales as a consequence of your UNTRUE statements, on the basis that they are libellous and damaging to the company - for the record this is an entirely different situation to personal libel and will cost you dearly.
2) We will no longer provide you with ANY services or products.
3) You are no longer welcome on my forum and should your next post be anything other than a GENUINE and FULL RETRACTION of your UNTRUE statements against the use of the Spider, I will ban you.

This forum is for the promotion of TRUTH & FACTS, to educate and inform those who appreciate there is knowledge to be learned here, YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T 'THINK' there is anything to learn here and that you can manage JUST BY JUMPING TO UNFOUNDED CONCLUSIONS.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm 
Wizard

Not a lot I can say to that really is there. :)

I have to accept the overwhelming evidence that you have provided. My testing has been shown to be flawed and therefore any conclusions I have made have been of no use to anyone.

The part about me making untrue claims makes it sound like I'm trying to discredit the spider. This is not the case. All I want is a working item. Or should I say, an item that works on my own engine. Hence my thoughts on the modificatins I intend to make to my own spider next year.

I will keep my test results to myself from now on. I want to stay on the froum because its a good place to be :)

Hopefully this will draw a line under this debate and our differing thoughts.

Is that acceptable ??

Perry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:54 pm 

Hi Perry :)

Its a shame this situation has arisen.

I am a little unsure why you decided to "pick and choose" which pieces of Trevs advice you were prepared to take but it wasnt your brightest moment.

When you are listening to a World expert, you dont normally argue and then say "I can do it better"

While we are clearing the air, I never understood why once you had started improving your times so well, that you then decided to change to a blower, that seemed a huge backward step to me, partially because you cannot control a blower with a Maxx lol... so you cannot have progressive control, and that leads to pistons and crank vanishing out of the side of the block....

The idea of then adding back the nitrous with either a spider or DP or Revos seems pointless and could be engine critical :(

The main point is that you need to decide in which direction you need to go with your engine...either Nitrous or otherwise and stick to whatever decision you make.

If you decide on Nitrous then listen to Trev...totally and you WILL get the times you wish...

Or not, as you wish...

I hope you take this in the manner its offered, as good advice (hopefully)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:46 pm 
Wizard

Thats cool Brett!

The blower thing is another avenue I've wanted to explore for a long time.

While I'm having the new engines made I might as well find out just what I can do on the blower. In an ideal world for me I'll end up with a blown engine, a spider engine and a dp engine in 3 different cars. :)

But all the builds will be based on the same engine and tranny. So each engine can be swapped from car to car ?

I'm also tinkering with a turbo fiat at the mo. That will be interesting with front wheel drive.

Regards
Pel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 am 
Site Admin

I've thought long and hard about this, which is why I've taken so long to respond to it.

It seems to me that you don't appreciate the gravity of the situation and maybe that's because you don't appreciate how many people visit my forum and potentially have read your posts (both here and on other forums), who may have then passed it on to other forums etc., just as computer viruses can be spread.

I on the other hand FULLY appreciate that I have a MASSIVE RESPONSIBILITY, to ensure that only GENUINE FACTS are posted on my forum, to avoid MISINFORMATION & LIES being propagated around the world, whether they be about my products or nitrous itself.

Your posts have damaged BOTH my products reputation and spread misinformation about nitrous itself, whether you intended that or not, that is the case.

mgbv8 wrote:
Not a lot I can say to that really is there. :)
Not a lot WAS required, just an acknowledgement that you understood the information you were being provided and an apology for JUMPING TO THE WRONG CONCLUSIONS and ignoring all the information I went to the trouble of providing you with, would have sufficed ORIGINALLY!!!!

I have to accept the overwhelming evidence that you have provided. My testing has been shown to be flawed and therefore any conclusions I have made have been of no use to anyone.
I just wish you had come to that conclusion earlier but as I'm not a vindictive man, I guess I'll have to accept that its better late than never. However, as it's come after I've had to resort to threatening you with legal action etc., the majority of people will no doubt believe, that you have been FORCED in to making that statement (regardless of whether that is your only reason for it or not) and therefore it's effectiveness at correcting the situation is TOTALLY LOST.

The part about me making untrue claims makes it sound like I'm trying to discredit the spider. This is not the case.
I accept that was not your intention but that is how it has come over and I'm reasonably certain, that you've mentioned to other people, that the Spider distribution is responsible for your problem and theirs and as long as you stick to that UNPROVEN & EXTREMELY UNLIKELY 'opinion' the situation remains unacceptable.

All I want is a working item. Or should I say, an item that works on my own engine. Hence my thoughts on the modificatins I intend to make to my own spider next year.
As I stated in a previous post, those mods will almost certainly improve things BUT even if they do, it does NOT mean the Spider is in ANY WAY at fault, because it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE that US DP kits are jetted in such a way, as to correct for fuel being thrown to the back of the manifold FROM THE CARB and although I 'know' that is ALSO to correct the poor distribution through US nitrous kits, it is none the less an accepted FACT, that it is essential on high performance single and dual carb engines to overcome the effects of G-force, on the fuel from the carb/s.

I will keep my test results to myself from now on.
I have NO problem with you or anyone else posting the results of any tests GOOD OR BAD on the forum, AS LONG AS they then listen to and accept MY THIRTY FIVE YEARS of experience, if/when I point out a flaw in the testing and/or the conclusions. You should also keep in mind that it is at least as much for YOUR BENEFIT (as mine), that you do so, because otherwise you've not only wasted your time up to that point but you'll also continue to waste time indefinitely.

I want to stay on the froum because its a good place to be :)
It is and it's a HONEST & FACTUAL place and I want it to stay that way.

Hopefully this will draw a line under this debate and our differing thoughts.
You see that's the problem, as you SHOULDN'T have differing thoughts on this matter, because as you stated at the start of your post (if truthful) "I have to accept the overwhelming evidence that you have provided" and whilst I don't expect everyone to agree with my every word without question, if you disagree with me and I then provide conclusive FACTS and/or independent supporting statements from a highly informed individual (as I did in this case), I do expect those that disagreed to be smart enough to recognise and acknowledge when they've got it wrong.

Is that acceptable ??
Not entirely for the reasons given above but just by enough for me to put a hold on my intentions for awhile. I have NO desire to be even slightly disagreeable with ANYONE but being a Yorkshireman I don't hold back when the line is crossed and unfortunately you went way over that line.
All I can say at this point is that I'll give the matter some further consideration.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:53 pm 
Wizard

Is that acceptable ??
Not entirely for the reasons given above but just by enough for me to put a hold on my intentions for awhile. I have NO desire to be even slightly disagreeable with ANYONE but being a Yorkshireman I don't hold back when the line is crossed and unfortunately you went way over that line.
All I can say at this point is that I'll give the matter some further consideration.

Ha Ha!
I already know that Trev... Thats sommat we Southerners lack. The old plain speaking thing. I'm sorry if my comments came across as anti spider. We discussed this before via pm about my comments starting an anti spider campaign. I never thought about how many folk look in but dont contribute to the WON forum. The comments I was making about my own issues could easily be misconstrued as being a fault with the item itself as opposed to how to use it with my own engine. I can see how you would think would be me trying to trash the spider. If I wasnt serious about using the spider I wouldnt already have a built a 3500 Rover lump which is already fitted into my Sons Escort with a spider + holley 600dp carb and a hoffy manifold to try again.
The car still needs brakes and suspension sorting out but we hope it will be out for shakedowns next year at the Ford show at the Pod.

I'll say again:
After reading Bruces comments I can see that volume of fuel flow from the spider legs isnt an issue now. And your coments about me doing Bruce a great dis service are unfounded because i only commented on the carb issue. In fact after visitng Bruces website I got online and tried to order one of Bruces smartcarbs for my spare 4.6 engine for the V8 Spider powered MG Midget. Unfortunately Bruce could not sell me one of his carby's because he is based in Australia and he prefers to attend and set up his carbs on the customers engine so he knows that it is optimised and working from the word go. Thats a bit of a bummer really.. I like the look of those carbs he builds.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 am 

Hi all. There are some things to consider when assessing engine performance variation from a dyno to the track.
As you all are aware I was asked to calculate the fuel flow change for the spider under G-force. What I worked out is correct but its only the flow rate. The direction of flow and how it differs has been discussed in this thread also. The affect of G's on the fuel droplets after they have left the tubes is that the point of where the fuel is shooting to is moved. The air in the plenum cannot accelerate the droplets. The situation is this, the car is changing velocity and its not until a fuel droplet is hit by a solid object like the manifold walls etc that the fuel droplet has its velocity changed to be in sync with the car. For instance all the drag cars with tunnel ram manifolds especially the sheet metal ones, run rich on the rear cylinders at launch. Its the rear wall of the manifold slamming into the droplets that results in a lot of fuel running down the rear wall of the manifold and into the rear cylinders.
What happens next is the hard to part to understand.
A little background is in order here, engines input energy to the fuel prior to combustion. The principle concern with combustion is the completeness of vaporization prior to ignition. It has been proven that perfect vaporization is not optimal in some situations. It is also evident that the level of vaporization achieved in the common mans engines is far from adequate. Its important to understand that there is a difference between inputting energy and achieving vaporization. Vaporization can be achieved by reducing pressure and also by increasing pressure. Within the intake system of the engine there are areas of high vacuum even at WOT. The valve curtain area is always a low pressure (high vacuum) location.
Vaporization will always occur in the valve curtain area.

Compression is an energy adding part of the cycle of engine operation. The air heats up when its compressed and that boils the fuel. Simple.
However one must also consider the ability of the chamber to mix the gaseous fuel for maximum homogenization with the air. Valve curtain vaporization results in good homogenization, compression vaporization relies principally on the squish action for homogenization. Squish is well after ignition.
Depending upon the effectiveness and balance of just these 2 examples and how much vaporization is achieved at each stage is the final environment of the chamber at ignition time.

The g-force will always enrich-en the rear cylinders if there is an opportunity for some of the fuel to redirect from front to back under acceleration. How the cylinders react to that enrichment will not the same for each engine. There is only a fixed amount of energy in a given engine for vaporization. Unless you change something you cant alter the vaporization energy methods used by the engine.
Consider an example engine with a large cubic capacity,low compression and small valve curtain area. That combination may have a lot of vaporization within the valve curtain. However when vaporization is achieved by pressure reduction the energy supply for that is taken from the air temperature (discounting the valve heat as that's only applicable to the fuel contacting the valve). Air temperature is a severely limited source so this example engine will reach a limit of vaporization achieved as you continually en-rich the mixture. There is only so much energy to go around and if you shove too much fuel into the valve area you eventually reach a point of reducing the amount of fuel gas issuing from the valve.
Now consider an engine with sufficient valve lift and duration to considerably increase the valve curtain air pressure. This engine must now vaporize by compression rather than pressure reduction. So its a going to be a totally different environment at ignition time.
There is obviously vaporization happening from these 2 example sources in all engines, but its the percentage of influence of each style that alters the final result as to the sensitivity of a cylinder to being rich or lean.

What I have said above is one of the principle reasons for why peoples personal experience with engines differ. Some say they blow up rich some say they blow up lean. The reason why it blow's up is there is excess hot aggressive oxygen during part of the combustion phase. This oxygen may from the atmosphere. Any time you don't achieve homogenization of fuel in a gas form with the air and or nitrous you run the risk of melting something.
The common reason for melting is " it became too lean". Unfortunately most people only think of the cylinder as having an AFR that we can measure in the exhaust. Thats not the case, you have to think about what it is for the entire time of combustion. The burning AFR may vary greatly from 17:1 to 10:1 during a stroke even though the average AFR may be 12.8

A cylinder with less efficient vaporization will go through great extremes of AFR during a burn. Heat from the burn is used to vaporize liquid fuel, its a very dangerous tuning style to use for high performance. You can get away with it easily in low HP per cube designs but not when you start to push it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:30 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for all that Bruce I just wish I understood it all as well as you do. Having said that, it seems that knowing about it doesn't help a great deal to overcome the problems unless you're designing/building the engine from scratch, as there are so many variables to cope with already, when you have an existing engine design/spec to work with.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:48 am 

The point I made is this. Any time you dont achieve a sufficient vaporization and homogenization there will be areas that are leaner than others. Any time you overload a cylinder with fuel you limit the amount of vaporization that can be achieved. It doesnt matter how much fuel you shove into a cylinder once you reach the point of not enough energy to gas sufficient enough chemicals with enough octane to support your engine your going to detonate. What people dont realize is that street unleaded petrols have low octane chemicals in the low distillation temperature ranges(there cheap). Race fuel are much high octane chemicals in the low temp range (there expensive). What the distillation temperature range tests mean is the first chemicals to turn to gas are the low temperature ones. What needs to be achieved is to turn enough molecules into a gas but also to have the gas mixture consisting of chemicals far enough up the distillation chart to be enough octane for your engine. This is a critical thing to get right at ignition time. Getting it wrong results in damaged spark plugs. Simply shoving heaps of fuel into a cylinder and then not having enough temperature generated in the cylinder will result in lots of low temperature chemicals in gas form at ignition time.
The main reason why a rich cylinder on Nos will melt, is lack of sufficient heat to vaporize the fuel. Nos is a double ended sword you have to add more fuel and it also freezes everything.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

shrinker wrote:
The point I made is this. Any time you dont achieve a sufficient vaporization and homogenization there will be areas that are leaner than others. Any time you overload a cylinder with fuel you limit the amount of vaporization that can be achieved. It doesnt matter how much fuel you shove into a cylinder once you reach the point of not enough energy to gas sufficient enough chemicals with enough octane to support your engine your going to detonate. What people dont realize is that street unleaded petrols have low octane chemicals in the low distillation temperature ranges(there cheap). Race fuel are much high octane chemicals in the low temp range (there expensive). What the distillation temperature range tests mean is the first chemicals to turn to gas are the low temperature ones. What needs to be achieved is to turn enough molecules into a gas but also to have the gas mixture consisting of chemicals far enough up the distillation chart to be enough octane for your engine. This is a critical thing to get right at ignition time. Getting it wrong results in damaged spark plugs. Simply shoving heaps of fuel into a cylinder and then not having enough temperature generated in the cylinder will result in lots of low temperature chemicals in gas form at ignition time.
The main reason why a rich cylinder on Nos will melt, is lack of sufficient heat to vaporize the fuel. Nos is a double ended sword you have to add more fuel and it also freezes everything.

Thanks for that Bruce and I fully appreciate what you're saying and totally agree, especially with your last statement.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 am 
Wizard

shrinker wrote:
Hi all. There are some things to consider when assessing engine performance variation from a dyno to the track.
As you all are aware I was asked to calculate the fuel flow change for the spider under G-force. What I worked out is correct but its only the flow rate. The direction of flow and how it differs has been discussed in this thread also. The affect of G's on the fuel droplets after they have left the tubes is that the point of where the fuel is shooting to is moved. The air in the plenum cannot accelerate the droplets. The situation is this, the car is changing velocity and its not until a fuel droplet is hit by a solid object like the manifold walls etc that the fuel droplet has its velocity changed to be in sync with the car. For instance all the drag cars with tunnel ram manifolds especially the sheet metal ones, run rich on the rear cylinders at launch. Its the rear wall of the manifold slamming into the droplets that results in a lot of fuel running down the rear wall of the manifold and into the rear cylinders.
What happens next is the hard to part to understand.
A little background is in order here, engines input energy to the fuel prior to combustion. The principle concern with combustion is the completeness of vaporization prior to ignition. It has been proven that perfect vaporization is not optimal in some situations. It is also evident that the level of vaporization achieved in the common mans engines is far from adequate. Its important to understand that there is a difference between inputting energy and achieving vaporization. Vaporization can be achieved by reducing pressure and also by increasing pressure. Within the intake system of the engine there are areas of high vacuum even at WOT. The valve curtain area is always a low pressure (high vacuum) location.
Vaporization will always occur in the valve curtain area.

Compression is an energy adding part of the cycle of engine operation. The air heats up when its compressed and that boils the fuel. Simple.
However one must also consider the ability of the chamber to mix the gaseous fuel for maximum homogenization with the air. Valve curtain vaporization results in good homogenization, compression vaporization relies principally on the squish action for homogenization. Squish is well after ignition.
Depending upon the effectiveness and balance of just these 2 examples and how much vaporization is achieved at each stage is the final environment of the chamber at ignition time.

The g-force will always enrich-en the rear cylinders if there is an opportunity for some of the fuel to redirect from front to back under acceleration. How the cylinders react to that enrichment will not the same for each engine. There is only a fixed amount of energy in a given engine for vaporization. Unless you change something you cant alter the vaporization energy methods used by the engine.
Consider an example engine with a large cubic capacity,low compression and small valve curtain area. That combination may have a lot of vaporization within the valve curtain. However when vaporization is achieved by pressure reduction the energy supply for that is taken from the air temperature (discounting the valve heat as that's only applicable to the fuel contacting the valve). Air temperature is a severely limited source so this example engine will reach a limit of vaporization achieved as you continually en-rich the mixture. There is only so much energy to go around and if you shove too much fuel into the valve area you eventually reach a point of reducing the amount of fuel gas issuing from the valve.
Now consider an engine with sufficient valve lift and duration to considerably increase the valve curtain air pressure. This engine must now vaporize by compression rather than pressure reduction. So its a going to be a totally different environment at ignition time.
There is obviously vaporization happening from these 2 example sources in all engines, but its the percentage of influence of each style that alters the final result as to the sensitivity of a cylinder to being rich or lean.

What I have said above is one of the principle reasons for why peoples personal experience with engines differ. Some say they blow up rich some say they blow up lean. The reason why it blow's up is there is excess hot aggressive oxygen during part of the combustion phase. This oxygen may from the atmosphere. Any time you don't achieve homogenization of fuel in a gas form with the air and or nitrous you run the risk of melting something.
The common reason for melting is " it became too lean". Unfortunately most people only think of the cylinder as having an AFR that we can measure in the exhaust. Thats not the case, you have to think about what it is for the entire time of combustion. The burning AFR may vary greatly from 17:1 to 10:1 during a stroke even though the average AFR may be 12.8

A cylinder with less efficient vaporization will go through great extremes of AFR during a burn. Heat from the burn is used to vaporize liquid fuel, its a very dangerous tuning style to use for high performance. You can get away with it easily in low HP per cube designs but not when you start to push it.

So would it be beneficial to atomise the fuel as best as possible just before you spray it at the back of the valve? This would reduce the amount of energy needed from the engine to vapourise the fuel yes?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
So would it be beneficial to atomise the fuel as best as possible just before you spray it at the back of the valve? This would reduce the amount of energy needed from the engine to vapourise the fuel yes?

Most certainly, which is why we developed the Atomising Fuel Discharge Tubes. :idea: :idea:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:15 pm 
Wizard

Are the tubes available as a service / upgrade part??
Jasons Escort will be ready for shakedowns next July so I might as well plan ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:36 am 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
Are the tubes available as a service / upgrade part??
Jasons Escort will be ready for shakedowns next July so I might as well plan ahead.

They are available to special order only and may not suit all applications due to the design.

We're currently working on a replacement/upgrade to the current Venom fuel injector, which will have the same features/capability as the tube but in a more conventional injector/nozzle package.
Hopefully we'll have those in production by say March next year.

BTW you wouldn't believe how many new and yet further advanced products we are currently working on, that we hope to either be launching to the general public or making available to select customers early next year.

This stage of the WON REVOLUTION is going to blow EVERYONE'S socks off. :twisted: :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)