NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Fat Boys (Ian Hook & Co) - The story so far.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:59 am 
Site Admin

AWESOME!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But where's the shot from the front that was texted to me, as that was even more AMAZING!?!?!?!?

I posted your impressive result (yet ANOTHER WIN) on the following thread but for some reason nobody has taken any notice and responded (which I can't understand as you have such a positive following on my forum);
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5124

I just hope they see this your post.

Please drop me a PM when you're available for a chat, as I'd like to discuss some tech stuff with you. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:25 pm 
Learner

Ian has the other pictures, that one was a snapshot from my launch video.

I'll give you a call soon, but we are racing again next weekend (Round 3- @ Shakey) so I've got a pretty busy week coming up...........Probably the week after...............

I'll get the video clips posted and a report (including the reason for the wheelie :redface: ) sorted in the next couple of days.

We've also flow tested the nitrous side of the system, in readiness for stepping up the power. I'll foward you a spreadsheet of the results once I've typed it out!
Time allowing, we'll be testing the fuel side at Shakey.

The most important job to tackle is the lack of a decent launch! After the wheelie, we smoked the tyres on every pass- We've messed up a setting somewhere, either the Max, MSD or suspension, so I will be spending a couple of quiet hours at Shakey checking everything.....

Brain.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

brain@fbracing wrote:
Ian has the other pictures, that one was a snapshot from my launch video.
I'm desperate for the pic for the next newsletter.

I'll give you a call soon, but we are racing again next weekend (Round 3- @ Shakey) so I've got a pretty busy week coming up...........Probably the week after...............
Yes I was aware of that and that's one of the reasons I wanted to speak to you ASAP.

I'll get the video clips posted and a report (including the reason for the wheelie :redface: ) sorted in the next couple of days.
Good man.

We've also flow tested the nitrous side of the system, in readiness for stepping up the power. I'll foward you a spreadsheet of the results once I've typed it out!
Time allowing, we'll be testing the fuel side at Shakey.
We must be psychic as that was one of the reasons I wanted to speak with you.

The most important job to tackle is the lack of a decent launch! After the wheelie, we smoked the tyres on every pass-
Not sure whether to laugh at that, be impressed or be concerned. :?

We've messed up a setting somewhere, either the Max, MSD or suspension, so I will be spending a couple of quiet hours at Shakey checking everything.....
I guess the only way the Max could contribute would be if the settings were too high or not delivering as it should but I thought you had this kind of problem even before activating the nitrous and the nitrous just made it worse!?!?!?!?

Brain.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm 
Wizard

Flippin' Eck!!!

What a picture :D

The man has Y fronts of cast iron :bow:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Make that balls of iron. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:17 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Make that balls of iron. :yes:

I already know that. That why he needs cast iron pants to hold them in place :rofl:

I drop a nad when I get one wheel off. God knows what its like to launch and only see Sky???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the pic you've all been waiting for;

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:09 pm 
Wizard

hehehehehehehe awesome :yes:
that is totally mental, no bars on the back :shock:
ians got some nuts worth hugging :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00 am 
Learner

Shakespeare County this weekend for Round 3. Hopefully less "up" and more "forward" this time!

Best ET & mph to date - 7.804 @ 174.3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 am 
Wizard

but its the upwards while going forward that makes you so popular ;) :lol:
are wheelie bars allowed? it would be something new for brain to play with

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:01 pm 
Learner

Nope, no "sissy" bars allowed!
I believe in a 'no bar' class, the Max Extreme will give us the adjustability to control the front end lift better than anything the turbo cars can do.
Once I get my launch mojo back, we will start to play with ramp rates on the Max- My target is to be the first radial tyre car in Europe to run a sub 5 second 1/8th mile!
Oh, and try to win the next meeting too!

Brain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Agreed on no wheelie bars for a street class and the Max giving you the control that turbo's wont have. :yes:

What's the current 1/8 mile record and while you're running the sub 5 1/8, just keep your foot in and take the 1/4 record while you're at it. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:02 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Agreed on no wheelie bars for a street class and the Max giving you the control that turbo's wont have. :yes:

What's the current 1/8 mile record and while you're running the sub 5 1/8, just keep your foot in and take the 1/4 record while you're at it. :twisted:

The current record is 5.01. Held by the FB's!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Your names as good as on the first sub 5 sec run in that case. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm 
Learner

The Spring Nationals was a very difficult weekend for us that resulted in a first round loss to our main title challenger, Steve Pateman. The track was very poor and we failed to master it before eliminations :tard: . Forget nitrous, it took us 5 of our six qualifiers to find a tune for a N/A launch! And when we went out on Monday for that first round even that had disappeared. I am not blaming the track for the result as it was the same for everyone.
This is our first full season with the new engine (and a lighter car) and we are still learning. We will get better.
We are still leading as, fortunately for us, Steve lost in the final. But that lead has been severely reduced. In effect our season starts at the Summer Nats in June and we've got a small head start!
We are going to pull the motor over the next couple of weeks and check it over but first we have to fix our bus whicj now has almost zero oil pressure!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:23 pm 
Learner

Just a quicky to let the non-Associates know that we had another victory on Sunday and remain on top of the Street Eliminator championship. I have to be honest and say that once again fortune smiled on us but they do say that to finish first, first you have to finish! We were number three qualifier, raced an opponent in every round (no byes) and beat the number two qualifier in the final.
Big thanks to my crew and to Trev for such a tunable system. All we need now is a driver who puts his foot down properly.
Cheers
Fatty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:34 pm 
Learner

Well done Fatty well deserved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Fatty wrote:
Just a quicky to let the non-Associates know that we had another victory on Sunday and remain on top of the Street Eliminator championship.
How many rounds are left and how many points do you lead by Ian?

I have to be honest and say that once again fortune smiled on us but they do say that to finish first, first you have to finish! We were number three qualifier, raced an opponent in every round (no byes) and beat the number two qualifier in the final.
Anyone who claims to win WITHOUT fortune smiling on them is a fool, because that's IMPOSSIBLE!!! ;)
Most motorsports are far more than just getting from 'A' to 'B' the quickest and quite often getting the car to 'A' in the first place is the biggest achievement, so don't belittle you and your teams achievements, because as you well know you've all put your hearts and soles in to every effort and deserve the results you achieve as a consequence.
And besides that, there'll be plenty of others belittling your efforts and I'll bet Frost is doing just that right now, saying how he'd be beating you if he'd raced in the class this year.
:beatstick: :beatstick:

Big thanks to my crew and to Trev for such a tunable system.
I'm just glad you can make it do what you need it to when you need it. If you or Brain eventually get in touch with me, I'm sure we can improve on what you're managing to do so far, as we have a whole bunch of new Max features that have been 'designed' to help bikes/cars with limited ability to put the power down, get down the track quicker. If you've got time before the next round, the very least you NEED to get done is to upgrade the Max software to the latest spec. :idea: :yes:

All we need now is a driver who puts his foot down properly.
If I were 20 years younger I might have volunteered for that job, because the wooden leg only has 2 options - ON or OFF and I adjusted the rest of the car to suit. :omgrofl:
BTW if you're having to launch WITHOUT nitrous and you'd like a little trick to ensure PERFECT & OPTIMUM launches every time, I have just the thing for that. ;) ;)
It was good enough to leave Packman for dead (when he was running the street legal - HONEST :evil: - Cobra) in the Street Racer Championship a few years ago, when I was on GENUINE treads and he was on BARELY hand cut SLICKS. :yes: :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:11 pm 
Learner

Another win for the Fat Boys!!!

Thats 4 wins out of 5 rounds this year :yes:

We still have an evil handling car- but at least we now have an idea where the problem(s) lie.
Fatty did an awesome job this weekend, keeping the car under some sort of control and in it's own lane :shock:
And we ran our quickest pass of the year so far- 8.08 . Without the handling issues I think we could have matched, if not bettered our 7.80 pass..............

More when time allows..................

Brain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 pm 
Learner

Thanks to Brain for the praise. And, yes, the car is quite scary at the moment. "Ragged edge" is probably a very appropriate description of where we are with the handling.
Of particular interest to this board was the tuning we did between semi final and final. The track had been pretty good through most of Sunday (we went 8.08) but in the semi I had to pedal twice for an 8.80. We knew we faced Brian Payne in his Mustang in the final and he'd gone 8.10 earlier in the day. Brain & I discussed our options and a few button presses on the Max Extreme later we had a milder tune in - it's so easy to work with. And I reckon we got it right on the nail. The car went 8.27 and I doubt we could have gone anymore than 5/100 quicker without it spinning. I beat Brian off the line and our ET was enough to cover his 8.53. But an 8.27 to 8.53 final from road legal cars - quite something in my (slightly biased) view.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

SHIT!!!!!

I didn't realise you were racing this weekend!!!!!

So annoyed that I missed that but VERY PLEASED that you once again nailed the opposition. Considering your handling problems it's TRULY AMAZING that you've had such GREAT results. We can only imagine the kind of results you'd be achieving if you had perfect handling but at least it's showing the extent of the worth of the Max Extreme, providing you with the extent of control you've obviously had to rely on (in conjunction with your own OUTSTANDING control which goes without saying) to stay the right side of that ragged edge. :bow: :bow:

Where were you racing this weekend then?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

BTW how many rounds are left and surely you have the 2010 Championship under your belt by now anyway!?!?!?!?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:09 pm 
Learner

We were at the Pod. There are 3 rounds left but we need to score reasonable points in at least two of them to secure the championship. We may decide to throttle back a bit now as any damage (whether from pushing the engine or an accident) would cost us dear.
We are back in action on August Bank Holiday at Shakey. If we can get the car running straight again we should get some reasonable numbers.
I am convinced there is a LOT more to come out of this car but I'm not going to risk crashing it to prove it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Fatty wrote:
We were at the Pod. There are 3 rounds left but we need to score reasonable points in at least two of them to secure the championship.
With different guys being in the finals against you and as Pateman blew it at the last and obviously didn't make it to this final, I was hopeful that you'd virtually got it in the bag by now but at least its good to know you're close at least. :yes:

We may decide to throttle back a bit now as any damage (whether from pushing the engine or an accident) would cost us dear.
That would be wise and although I hate the idea of backing off and the thought that you won't take the outright class record by doing so this year, I'm fully behind you on it.

We are back in action on August Bank Holiday at Shakey. If we can get the car running straight again we should get some reasonable numbers.
It would certainly be GREAT if you could at least improve A LITTLE on your previous best but your safety is much more important.

I am convinced there is a LOT more to come out of this car but I'm not going to risk crashing it to prove it!
Even if a world record was a 99% chance and carnage the remaining 1% I'd still be behind you all the way.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:30 pm 
Learner

Martin and I have discussed this and if we can secure the championship before the last round AND we can get the car going straight we will deffo be going for it at the National Finals. Martin even reckons we can do it without upjetting!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next