NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Fat Boys (Ian Hook & Co) - The story so far.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Talk about cliff hanger!!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Talk about cliff hanger!!!!

Post now completed.............. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:01 pm 
Wizard

Great results Brain. I'm just glad I was there to actually see the fast run :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the final installment Martin.

Just to be clear, are you saying that your 1/8 mile time is quicker than the the guys who have run 7.6s in the 1/4????

If that's the case then all I can say is AWESOME!!!!

Those guys had better watch out next year. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:19 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Thanks for the final installment Martin.

Just to be clear, are you saying that your 1/8 mile time is quicker than the the guys who have run 7.6s in the 1/4????

If that's the case then all I can say is AWESOME!!!!

Those guys had better watch out next year. :yes:

Yep, that is the case........

Colin Lazenby ran 5.10 on his 7.70 run
John Steath ran 5.12 on his 7.68 run

The difference (for now, anyway) is top end power- both of these cars are probably making 2000+ hp, where as I would put the '34 at 1300hp as it is now but maybe 1400hp once optimised on its current jetting. It just proves how well the whole package is working :yes: Interestingly Ian commented on how smooth the 598 is on nitrous, even compared to the old 545- Its pretty much the same system except for 1/ The Max Extreme and 2/ the new smaller bore (and better "streamlined") pipework from the bottles to the pulsoids.
I think he explained it like this......... The 545 went GRRRRRR on nitrous but the 600 just goes WHOOSH- I suppose you'd have to be there :rofl:

More later......

Brain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

brain@fbracing wrote:
Yep, that is the case........

Colin Lazenby ran 5.10 on his 7.70 run
John Steath ran 5.12 on his 7.68 run
A TENTH difference over the 1/8 is PHENOMINAL!!!!!

The difference (for now, anyway) is top end power-
I'll second that, especially the "for now" part and if you find that ramping up the top end screws up your start capability. we always have the REVO system in hand to rectify that for you, to ENSURE you have the best results from start to finish, rather than a compromise as EVEN OUR pulsed technology is. :yes:

both of these cars are probably making 2000+ hp, where as I would put the '34 at 1300hp as it is now but maybe 1400hp once optimised on its current jetting. It just proves how well the whole package is working :yes:
Very true and as I've always said when people try to claim my systems are shit because there's no results (or very few), to base my claims to the contrary on; it's not my systems at fault if my customers don't run the numbers, because more often than not it's something outside my control to blame for that, so when a team like you guys do run a SPECIAL TIME the same applies, it's NOT my system that is responsible but the WHOLE PACKAGE with every product and every person playing their part, that delivers such results.
No doubt I'll still get the same BS that my systems are no good because no big name racer has run a record time using them, in much the same way as they're saying your results are nothing to shout about, because now it's your car being light that is responsible for your times. Last time you ran quick on the nail of an engine, it was the tires, now it's the lack of weight, so I wonder what it'll be next year.

Interestingly Ian commented on how smooth the 598 is on nitrous, even compared to the old 545- Its pretty much the same system except for 1/ The Max Extreme and 2/ the new smaller bore (and better "streamlined") pipework from the bottles to the pulsoids.
I think he explained it like this......... The 545 went GRRRRRR on nitrous but the 600 just goes WHOOSH- I suppose you'd have to be there :rofl:
VERY INTERESTING and that could be to the refinement of the Max compared to the FRED.

More later......

Brain.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 pm 
Learner

A bit more info....

Max Extreme settings: 400hp jets

Initial delay : 0.4 seconds
Start : 25%
Ramp : 1.3 seconds
Retard #1 6 degrees @ 25%
Retard #2 6 degrees @ 30%

We have been using these settings for every run at this power level except for two- the run immediately after our first 7 sec pass we reduced the build time to 1.2 seconds- this was the first time Ian reported he could feel the nitrous coming in and out. Because we didn't know what was causing it and the only change we had made was to the Max, we went back to a 1.3 sec build but reduced the initial delay to 0.3 seconds. This was our run against Colin Lazenby where we got a lot of air under the front tyres! We again changed back to the earlier settings as we felt we were too close to a potentially damaging wheelie!

This brings me neatly onto another fact about the 7.80 pass. Up until this point we had been using a digital timer relay to control the initial delay. The first stage of retard is triggered by the release of this relay, allowing us to have another 2 staged of retard controlled by the Max (only one currently used) . However, because I bypassed all the "other" electronics to try to cure our nitrous problems I programmed the initial delay into the Max settings. What I didn't do was put the Max in charge of BOTH retards........Therefore the first stage of retard (6 degrees) would have been taken out on transbrake release instead of nitrous activation and the second @ 30%.
To sum up, the 7.80 pass was done with the first 0.4 seconds after launch running 6 degrees retarded!
Interestingly, the "lack" of power does show up on the video. After the inertia of the converter is used up the video shows the front wheels starting to drop before the nitrous comes in and pulls them back up! On the previous couple of runs where we know everything was working, there is NO dip before nitrous activation, just a smooth transition.

Even more later.......

Brain.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:09 am 
Site Admin

6 degrees of excessive retard at the most crucial part of the run and you still ran a 7.8 pass!!! :shock:

Can you clarify the timing info for me?

Are you saying that you took out 6 degrees as soon as the nitrous system activated and then another 6 when it reached 30%, because if that's what you were doing, I'd say you were at least 8 degrees overly retard for the majority of the first 1/2 of the nitrous build time, so there's MUCH more to come from JUST the nitrous and progressive settings you have, by merely optimising the timing.

I'm guessing you're still basing your timing requirements on your experiences with your old DELICATE, DETONATION INDUCING engine rather than starting a fresh (which is fine for precautionary reasons) but I can assure you that whatever was needed to keep that old engine from self destruction, you can at least HALF that for this new nitrous specific engine. :idea: :yes:

I'd guesstimate that you left 0.2 sec in the engine on that 7.8 sec run. 8) 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 am 
Learner

Outstanding. Well done guys. I don't remember if it's mentioned earlier but what do you weigh on the startline?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
6 degrees of excessive retard at the most crucial part of the run and you still ran a 7.8 pass!!! :shock:

Can you clarify the timing info for me?

Are you saying that you took out 6 degrees as soon as the nitrous system activated and then another 6 when it reached 30%, because if that's what you were doing, I'd say you were at least 8 degrees overly retard for the majority of the first 1/2 of the nitrous build time, so there's MUCH more to come from JUST the nitrous and progressive settings you have, by merely optimising the timing.

Exactly so, but the reason we have always done it this way is that we can balance the power lost by over-retarding the ignition, with a larger start % and come up with a nitrous ramp that starts at "zero" power (hope that makes sense)
It also makes for one less "variable" meaning we only really have to worry about delay, start % and build time- one less ball to juggle.
What I was explaining above is the fact that we took 6 degress out on transbrake release instead of on nitrous activation- 0.4 seconds earlier than we should have!

I'm guessing you're still basing your timing requirements on your experiences with your old DELICATE, DETONATION INDUCING engine rather than starting a fresh (which is fine for precautionary reasons) but I can assure you that whatever was needed to keep that old engine from self destruction, you can at least HALF that for this new nitrous specific engine. :idea: :yes:

As far as the launch is concerned, there isn't going to be a huge improvement. Saying that, there are gains to be made- I'll add a seperate post about our plans for next season- I would like to think we can run a high 1.1 second 60ft on a good track- I suspect that's as far as it's possible to go without wheelie bars 8)

I'd guesstimate that you left 0.2 sec in the engine on that 7.8 sec run. 8) 8)

My gut feeling is that, track conditions permitting , we can run in the 7.6s by refining what we've already done, without having to add any more power 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:16 am 
Site Admin

brain@fbracing wrote:
Exactly so, but the reason we have always done it this way is that we can balance the power lost by over-retarding the ignition, with a larger start % and come up with a nitrous ramp that starts at "zero" power (hope that makes sense)
It also makes for one less "variable" meaning we only really have to worry about delay, start % and build time- one less ball to juggle.
What I was explaining above is the fact that we took 6 degrees out on transbrake release instead of on nitrous activation- 0.4 seconds earlier than we should have!
I understand what you're saying and what you're trying to achieve but I can't agree with the way you're doing it.
I can understand a single initial retard at the start but not an additional one.
If you want a lower start power you should first of all set the start power to 20% rather than 25%.

You also have the following options to have a lower start power level;
1) Have you optimised the Pulsoids adjustment?
2) What frequency are you using?
3) Using a lower frequency allows you to use a lower start percentage.
4) However, the higher the frequency you use the smoother the power is delivered and the kinder it is on the engine.
5) To get the lowest start percentage, lower the frequency to whatever compromise level that works for you. The compromise is between getting the lowest desired start percentage and the manner in which it is delivered.
6) If that does not achieve your goal, give me a call as I have a novel (secret) way of converting your existing 20% to 10% and we used this trick on Dave Bailey’s bike with great success, up to switching to the REVO system.
The reason these options are FAR BETTER to use than retarding the timing, is that you are WASTING nitrous PRESSURE that you NEED FOR THE REST OF THE RUN.
Using nitrous to maximum efficiency over the early part of the run allows the rest of the run to be more efficient and accurate.
BTW I realised what you meant by the switch to the trans brake operation.

As far as the launch is concerned, there isn't going to be a huge improvement.
Quite possibly BUT for the reasons just given, it’s still much better to get the maximum efficiency from the nitrous settings.

Saying that, there are gains to be made- I'll add a separate post about our plans for next season- I would like to think we can run a high 1.1 second 60ft on a good track- I suspect that's as far as it's possible to go without wheelie bars 8)
I’ll look forward to reading that.

My gut feeling is that, track conditions permitting , we can run in the 7.6s by refining what we've already done, without having to add any more power 8)
Couldn’t agree more, especially as that 7.8 was SO EARLY in the R&D track and you were still in the ‘find the bugs’ period and the ‘lets play well safe’ period because you were just getting to know where to start from.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:43 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
brain@fbracing wrote:
What I was explaining above is the fact that we took 6 degrees out on transbrake release instead of on nitrous activation- 0.4 seconds earlier than we should have!
I understand what you're saying and what you're trying to achieve but I can't agree with the way you're doing it.
I can understand a single initial retard at the start but not an additional one.
If you want a lower start power you should first of all set the start power to 20% rather than 25%.

You also have the following options to have a lower start power level;
1) Have you optimised the Pulsoids adjustment?
No. not at this powel level
2) What frequency are you using? 25hz
3) Using a lower frequency allows you to use a lower start percentage. Yes
4) However, the higher the frequency you use the smoother the power is delivered and the kinder it is on the engine. Yes
5) To get the lowest start percentage, lower the frequency to whatever compromise level that works for you. The compromise is between getting the lowest desired start percentage and the manner in which it is delivered. Yes
6) If that does not achieve your goal, give me a call as I have a novel (secret) way of converting your existing 20% to 10% and we used this trick on Dave Bailey’s bike with great success, up to switching to the REVO system. Will do if needed
The reason these options are FAR BETTER to use than retarding the timing, is that you are WASTING nitrous PRESSURE that you NEED FOR THE REST OF THE RUN.
Nitrous pressure traces are interesting....Only got it working properly for the last two runs (dry soldered joint in the sensor wiring)
Example:
Launch pressure: 969psi
activation pressure: 985psi (maybe g force acting on the sensor?)
after 0.5 seconds : 960psi
after 1.0 seconds : 971psi (recovery bounce?)
after 2.0 seconds : 936psi (system @ 100% now)(lowest pressure point)
after 4.0 seconds : 963psi (gentle recovery)
after 7.0 seconds : 952psi (very slow, steady pressure loss)
3 seconds after the throttle is off, nitrous pressure is climbing over 1000psi! talk about a quick recovery!

Using nitrous to maximum efficiency over the early part of the run allows the rest of the run to be more efficient and accurate.
BTW I realised what you meant by the switch to the trans brake operation. [/color]

As far as the launch is concerned, there isn't going to be a huge improvement.
Quite possibly BUT for the reasons just given, it’s still much better to get the maximum efficiency from the nitrous settings.

Saying that, there are gains to be made- I'll add a separate post about our plans for next season- I would like to think we can run a high 1.1 second 60ft on a good track- I suspect that's as far as it's possible to go without wheelie bars 8)
I’ll look forward to reading that.

Couldn’t agree more, especially as that 7.8 was SO EARLY in the R&D track and you were still in the ‘find the bugs’ period and the ‘lets play well safe’ period because you were just getting to know where to start from.

Agreed! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:58 pm 
Learner

Improvements for 2010

1/ We will start to add a little weight to the front of the car. Hopefully this will help control the front end lift, allowing us to apply power faster, without pulling a big wheelie.

2/ I am going to add front suspension droop limiters- same reasons/result as above

3/ Gearing. There may be a benefit to changing the gearing from our current 3.25/1 to 3.00/1. We are currently @ 7000rpm across the finish. the taller gearing may also help with 1 & 2.

4/ Fix the launch retard problem (easy one)

5/ Sort out the drift to the right. We already have an anti-roll bar fitted but not connected. If that's not enough we can start to add a little pre-load to the 4-link to make the car go straight.

6/ "Active" rear shock absorbers- we are looking into a kit that allows us to change the rebound damping rate on the rear shocks part way through the run :idea:

7/ Last but certainly not least, we can add at least another 200hp's worth of nitrous........... :evil:

Brain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

brain@fbracing wrote:
Improvements for 2010

1/ We will start to add a little weight to the front of the car. Hopefully this will help control the front end lift, allowing us to apply power faster, without pulling a big wheelie.
Good move, if you can get the nitrous bottle at the front that would be a great move. ;)

2/ I am going to add front suspension droop limiters- same reasons/result as above
Wise move.

3/ Gearing. There may be a benefit to changing the gearing from our current 3.25/1 to 3.00/1. We are currently @ 7000rpm across the finish. the taller gearing may also help with 1 & 2.
Taller gearing is CERTAINLY the way to go, as it allows you to use more nitrous earlier in the run, as well as the other benefits.

4/ Fix the launch retard problem (easy one)

5/ Sort out the drift to the right. We already have an anti-roll bar fitted but not connected. If that's not enough we can start to add a little pre-load to the 4-link to make the car go straight.
How can you have an anti-roll bar fitted but not connected?!?!?!?!?

6/ "Active" rear shock absorbers- we are looking into a kit that allows us to change the rebound damping rate on the rear shocks part way through the run :idea:

7/ Last but certainly not least, we can add at least another 200hp's worth of nitrous........... :evil:
I'd make that at least another 400 of nitrous, even if that means going the REVO route.

Brain.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:57 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
brain@fbracing wrote:
Improvements for 2010

How can you have an anti-roll bar fitted but not connected?!?!?!?!?

Brain.

We tried it out back in 2006 (the last time we were running quick) It didn't make us any quicker back then as we weren't launching hard enough that body roll/torque steer was a problem ;) Things are a little different now... the torque reaction evident on the videos when the nitrous come in...... :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Ahh OK, with you now. 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 pm 
Learner

Just a quick note on roll bar tuning.

If you change your damping to control the release of energy from a roll bar (it is simply a big spring), it affects roll couple. (And front to rear weight transfer characteristics)

Basically, it's a compromise. You trade damping control front to back for damping control side to side. You can't have both optimized....

A lot of people forget that the anti-roll bar stores energy....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:05 pm 
Learner

brain@fbracing wrote:

600hp through 4 nitrous pulsoids would put you right in the sweet spot for system efficiency. (125hp each)

But then what would you do with that power....wheely through the traps? :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:59 am 
Learner

PEI330Ci wrote:
brain@fbracing wrote:
But then what would you do with that power....wheely through the traps? :D

Sorry, I'm failing to see the problem here.

:bounce:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:50 pm 
Learner

When Ian and myself were discussing the nitrous set-up I stated that a perfect run would pick the wheels up on launch and not set them down again until the system was at 100%. We achieved that on the 7.80 run, what I didn't expect was the wheels coming back up and staying there! (even though it looks way cool!)
When we step the power up next year, the build time will get longer by a proportionate amount and the wheelies will get longer..........to the point that we will probably be carrying the wheels all the way through 1st gear ( that's 120+mph) :shock: 8)

Has anyone else noticed the way the car carries the wheels- it works like it's got wheelie bars- It lifts the front to a point,
then it just stays at that height and GOES!

That, my friends is total control over the power delivery :idea:

Brain.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

brain@fbracing wrote:
When Ian and myself were discussing the nitrous set-up I stated that a perfect run would pick the wheels up on launch and not set them down again until the system was at 100%. We achieved that on the 7.80 run, what I didn't expect was the wheels coming back up and staying there! (even though it looks way cool!)
When we step the power up next year, the build time will get longer by a proportionate amount and the wheelies will get longer..........to the point that we will probably be carrying the wheels all the way through 1st gear ( that's 120+mph) :shock: 8)
IGNORING the fear factor and potential consequences of driving a car at such speeds under such extreme acceleration with the front wheels in the air, the ultimate 1/4 time will be achieved when the nitrous settings are progressive up to within 1/10th of the 1/4 time and the wheels only come down a foot or two before the finish beams and that my friends is when my progressive nitrous systems are being used to the full!!!
If Ian is (WISELY) in fear of running the full 1/4 without any steering, maybe you could come up with an independent rear wheel braking system that could be linked to the steering wheel, to take over when the front wheels are in the air, along the lines of the way the purpose built wheelie vehicles work. :yes:

BTW ALL hail the masterful Ian Hook for his outstanding driving skills.
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Has anyone else noticed the way the car carries the wheels- it works like it's got wheelie bars- It lifts the front to a point,
then it just stays at that height and GOES!

That, my friends is total control over the power delivery :idea:
HOW VERY TRUE!!!! Yet there are still FOOLS out there who think that ANY kit can deliver what my WON kits deliver - TALK ABOUT STUPID!!!!

Brain.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm 
Wizard

:idea: At 120+MPH would there be any benefit to using a rudder rather than braking the rear wheels?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:14 pm 
Learner

The answers are all in the suspension set-up. I've got to make sure the car launches and accelerates in a straight line.
Ian's job is to make sure the car is staged straight. If both of these things are correct, you could, in theory, run the whole 1/4 on the back wheels!
Top fuel bike riders often do! :bow:

Brain.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Admin

I thought about suggesting that but as I've never done it myself and not wishing to come off as a smart arse, I tactfully avoided it but yes if it all comes together, it 'should' be possible to run the full 1/4 straight with the front wheels in the air. :bow: :bow:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:07 am 

Noswizard wrote:
I thought about suggesting that but as I've never done it myself and not wishing to come off as a smart arse, I tactfully avoided it but yes if it all comes together, it 'should' be possible to run the full 1/4 straight with the front wheels in the air. :bow: :bow:

Hi :)

Lol...That would give Ronnie Picardo`s wheelie car a run for its money..

I worked on it with him a few times in the Pod workshops, its all about weight distribution and a REALLY good set of wheelie bars lol.....with special wheels on them....

All the best Brett :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next