NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Fat Boys (Ian Hook & Co) - The story so far.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:52 am 
Learner

Great to hear it's up and running again. With all the details and custom bits involved with the build, it sounds like you're par for the course on start-up issues. Heck, I had computer problems that took 4 months to sort out!!!

When's the next race?

Wooo Hooooo!!!!

The Fat Boys are back in town!!!! :cheers:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:34 pm 
Wizard

PEI330Ci wrote:

dam right they are, what a beast!
i got to meet the boys and that HUGE monster of an engine saturday :D
thanks to you all for giving me your time, especially when poor brain was still busy soldering in the new max
best of luck for the rest of the reason, hope to meet up again soon :yes:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the weekends report from the Fat Boys;

THE FBs ARE BACK!!!!

Yep, we are back in action properly and already causing a stir.

Before reporting on our weekend I'd just like to say a quick thank you to Jon Webster for joining our list of supporters in supplying us with his excellent Power Pour fuel additive. We use it with and without nitrous and have found it to be better than any other fuel conditioner we've tried with the added advantage that it appears to have no effect on seals or diaphragms. Thanks for the support Jon.

We started the weekend (well it was Friday actually) with a half pass to finally bed the rings in. It produced a surprisingly good 10.79 considering we suffered both wheelspin AND a late shift.

The next round of qualifying promised to be interesting as we were to make our first full pass with the new motor (and a repaired shift light to ensure that I changed gear at the right time!!). I did a hard burnout and eased into stage. But when I launched the tyres just went up in smoke. I pedalled to get traction back and the end result was a 9.55 at 152mph. We were really chuffed with that as our previous best pass without gas was a 10.01 so this was almost a half second quicker.

That was it for Friday and a late start coupled with several on track delays and then one lane running it became obvious that we would only get one pass in on Saturday so we decided to get straight to a mild nitrous setting. With 160 hp jets and a gentle ramp we hope to just prove out the system. Martin had also made changes to the suspension and tyre pressures in an attempt to eliminate the wheelspin. I did another big burnout and this time the launch felt really good. The car hooked well and felt really strong until the eighth when it "nosed over". I got back to the pit to find we'd run an 8.95. It was good to be back in the eights so quickly but I felt a little disappointed as I felt the gas should have given us a little more and I hadn't felt that "shove" that normally comes with a nitrous pass. However as Martin pulled the bottles from the car he reported that they felt heavy (i.e. hadn't used much gas). Further investigation revealed that a connection was broken so the system hadn't fired - we'd run an eight WITHOUT gas! Wow! I was very pleased with that.

The cruise went fine. The new engine runs a little hotter but never gave cause for concern, starting with ease and not complaining when we fed it standard unleaded (rather than Optimax).

With only seven cars entered for this meeting there were to be just 3 rounds of eliminations on Sunday and the failure of Davie Murdoch's Willys on the cruise gave us a bye for the first. We left the settings largely as they were for the previous days final pass but made sure all the connections were good! And the result was excellent. The launch was even better and we clocked an 8.52 at 160mph - much more like it. On returning from that run we Martin found two rich cylinders (black spark plug tips). A small amount of debris had got into the system and held the solenoid valves off their seats thus leaking fuel. These were removed, pulled apart, cleaned and replace and, along with the rest of the system, were fitted with larger jets. Time was short so Martin and I took a real shot in the dark on the tune of our new nitrous controller (a Highpower Max Extreme) and, I have to admit, we got it wrong. It didn't stop us having a fantastic race in the semi-final with Jeff Meads though. We left the line almost together (just 8/1000ths of a second apart!) and at the 60 foot mark I was ahead. Then I saw the bright yellow Pop pull past me (despite my foot being buried in the bulkhead). Jeff then suffered the infamous "radial rock" phenomenon which allowed me to retake the lead. However, as I got to about 2/3 distance the car nosed over again allowing Jeff back past and across the line ahead of me. We 'only' ran an 8.56, the terminal speed of 165 mph showing that we were making a lot more power. The problem had been that we'd slowed the build up time too much thus hurting the first part of the pass which makes a good number very hard to get.

So that was our weekend over. Despite losing that semi I still feel that we had a good result. Our second full pass produced an 'all motor' 8-second ticket and, out of four passes we'd recorded 3 eights plus, best of all, the engine wasn't going home in a Tesco bag!

There's just three weeks to go to the European Finals, the biggest drag event in Europe and Street Eliminator are a guest class this year. We will be fitting bigger jets to hopeful cure the top end power loss and will be looking closely at optimising timing and ramps to get the best from our new nitrous system. We will be trying to beat our current best ever ET of 8.17. And once that is done we'll be looking for that first ever seven! Stay tuned for more info soon.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 am 
Wizard

Cool :yes: :yes: LOL i dont think Mr Moo has calmed down yet from seeing that engin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Would love more information on the power pour from websters , i use this in my bike on race days with pump gas i have no data on before and after , LOL i forget why i thought it was a good idea but bike seams to like it 8) esp if im on stock timing and that was good enought for me, That and i liked talking to websters

Tezz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:11 pm 
Wizard

xxdrac wrote:
:yes: :yes: LOL i dont think Mr Moo has calmed down yet from seeing that engin :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

im in love with it :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 pm 
Learner

Is that what you call a flying start????????????/

What a cracking weekend, could have done with some more track time but we have a solid base line for the euro finals in three weeks!

The new motor is an animal! The old 545 ran a best of 10.04 without nitrous, the new 598 ran 8.95 on it's second full pass :shock: I said to fatty it should run 8s N/A but I didn't expect to do it that easily! There's plenty more to come too! I pulled the plugs after that run and they were WHITE!
A couple of the FB's were at 3/4 track and said you could hear it go flat as it leaned out! I fitted the largest carb jets we had (there are 8 of them and you could drop match sticks through them :shock: )
but I still think it's way lean!!!

The 1st nitrous pass was with 4 x 80 nitrous jets (about 160hp), a very conservative ramp and a hefty chunk of retard. I estimated an 8.7 or high 8.6. I was speechless when the scoreboard lit up with 8.52@160mph :yes:
We only had 30 minutes before the semi final, so some quick changes were in order.Our opponent was Jeff Meads, who had been running 8.5-8.6s. I changed the nitrous and fuel jets (12 in total) which is a fiddly job at best and much harder on a hot engine! Added 1lb of fuel pressure (still way too lean) and set the ignition to take out more retard. Fatty and myself were programming the Max Extreme in the fire up road!
The result was a (I CAN'T say dissapointing!) 8.56 :tard: We were just too conservative....too much retard and too slow build time. Still, the MPH went up to 165 and the plugs still say too lean...........

ROLL ON THE EURO FINALS!!!!!!!!

Video of the 8.52 run :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:32 pm 
Learner

mrmoo wrote:
PEI330Ci wrote:

dam right they are, what a beast!
i got to meet the boys and that HUGE monster of an engine saturday :D
thanks to you all for giving me your time, especially when poor brain was still busy soldering in the new max
best of luck for the rest of the reason, hope to meet up again soon :yes:

It was a pleasure meeting you Mr Moo!

Now, who's coming to the Euro finals.........?

Brain.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:12 am 
Site Admin

PHENOMINAL START and I doubt you'd need ANY retard on those settings on a motor of that size and spec., so what were your NA & Nitrous timing settings?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:23 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
PHENOMINAL START and I doubt you'd need ANY retard on those settings on a motor of that size and spec., so what were your NA & Nitrous timing settings?

We are running 29 degrees advance (fixed timing-no curve) N/A (same timing as the 545) I got a nice timing line on the plugs, right on the start of the bend)
I took out 6 degrees on the 160 shot and 12 degrees on the 300.
I based this on the old 545 where we took out 19 degrees for 550hp of nitrous.
I realise this is a lot of retard and the new motor will be a LOT more resistant to detonation, but you've got to start somewhere and the safe side is best!!!

The static test results: 80n/25f jets, 13 psi fuel pressure, 950 psi bottle pressure. The motor picked up nice and clean and held steady at 6130 rpm(data logged 8) )- A perfect result :yes:

The problem is the motor is WAY lean N/A! (unfortunately we haven't managed to get the data logger to work on the track yet-works perfectly in the pits though :evil: ) the plugs were white! I fitted the biggest jets we had but it's still not enough. when we ran the 300 hp jets, I upped the fuel pressure to 14( as high as our calibrated gauge goes) but it still wants more :shock: Larger carb jets are on order and we will do a couple of N/A passes to get the jetting sorted before we move on with the nitrous testing. I've studied the slo-mo video and now know where we need to start ramping the power :beatstick: and I'm going to try to find the time to add the bracketry needed for a weight bar in the front ;)

Trevor, I'll drop you a mail next week to sort out a little chat, I'm on holiday this week so don't know when I'll be about...........

Cheers,
Brain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:25 pm 
Learner

A couple of extra snippets from the weekend courtesy of Brain's rapid analysis of the track timing data:
The three quickest 60 foot times in Street Eliminator belonged to us
The quickest 330 foot was also ours
Congrats to Colin Lazenby who ran his first seven second pass at this meeting. It's worth noting though that despite the fact he has a pro-built engine that is waaay bigger than ours (800+ cubes) our quickest time to 594 feet was just a tenth behind Colins on his seven second run.
Whilst we will never match Colin's second half of the track I am confident we can get to the eighth a LOT quicker. The inherent efficiency of our chassis coupled with the awesome base power of the new motor and the power & smoothness that the WON kit gives makes a seven seem almost inevitable!!
Roll on the Euro Finals - I want another go!!!
And a quick thanks for all the interest shown in this project. And do remember that the '34 is entirely home-built and always street legal (no slicks here thank you!).

Best ET & mph to date - 7.804 @ 174.3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm 
Wizard

Fantastic results Ian :)

I watch my SE DVD's over and over again. I've got the 3 years worth, but not 2008 yet!

You have the reactions of a Ninja off the light mate. I'm going to try and catch up with you at the Pod later this year.

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:09 pm 
Learner

Great updates, and great results! :D

Thanks for taking the time to make such informative and entertaining posts.

Colin's been gunning for a 7 for years....he was due after so much carnage. Hopefully you guys won't be too far behind once you get a handle on your tune up.

I totally agree with you being safe. I've canceled and delayed some test sessions just to make sure everything was 100%. It's worth it....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm 
Learner

mgbv8 wrote:
Fantastic results Ian :)

I'm going to try and catch up with you at the Pod later this year.

Regards
Perry

It's always great to meet someone from the board in person. Feel free to drop in anytime at the Euros or the National Finals. I'm looking forward to the Euros in particular as we could get as many as 10 runs in (just ordered a new bottle of gas!). Here's praying to the weather gods!
Cheers
Fatty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:32 pm 
Wizard

were are these events taking place?
be great to see the beast run now your getting the setup closer to optimal
and with more gas!!!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:10 pm 
Learner

Street Eliminator Round 7: 10-13 September, Santa Pod.(Euro Finals)
Street Eliminator Round 8: 26-27 September, Santa Pod.(National Finals)

I just hope the weather is decent...................No more rain PLEASE!!!

Brain.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:09 am 
Wizard

cheers brain :) hope to see you there

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm 
Learner

Having static tested the 598 I've been in touch with Trev and have ordered the jets to take us all the way to 600 hp. I'd like to think we don't actually need that much to run a (say it quietly) seven but, as I said to my wife when we bought a 43" TV - "It's not a question of 'need' it's more a matter of 'want'". :lol:
If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. Grrrrrrr! :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: - X2 - :lol:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

YAHOOOOOO!!!!!

At their FIRST event on just their SECOND nitrous run the Fat Boys run their FIRST 7 sec pass, with a 7.97 @ 173mph with PLENTY MORE TO COME.

Fatty qualified 3rd while the quickest car in the class ran a 7.69 yesterday but only a 7.79 today, with No2 qualifier running a 7.70 yesterday but seems to be suffering today, as he just staged and pulled out on a bye in the 1st round of elims and only managed a VERY NARROW win with a 9.2 in the 2nd round.

It seems the class had its 1st round of elims set so far back that they are now being turn round WITHOUT any time in the pits, which is INSANE, so anything could happen now but whatever it is it won't be very quick with the engines so hot and the prep being skipped. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:44 pm 
Wizard

Ian / Brain!!
You must be on the internet in your camper :)

I saw your 7 second pass from the grandstand today. I think it might have been your first run at around 3.20pm??
After chatting to Ron for a while late this morning I looked in. But you were all inside the camper. I didnt want to disturb you. I wandered by several times to try and catch you, but the the car was gone. I caught up with you in the fire up lane just as you went across the Zebra. And a marshall told me I couldnt go down the front unless I was on a team :(

So I went back to my Reserved seat and watched you rip it up good away from the green light. She seemed to fly pretty straight from where I was sitting, at first. And then standing punching the air as the time came up :D
I remembered Ians comment from a previous SE dvd where he was asked about the 7 second potential of some of the SE cars. And his comment was "we are going to have a bash ourselves when we get our big engine" :)

Then I watched Ron follow you with a 9.0 which i think topped his 9.1 from yesterday so he must be a happy bunny. But I's sure I saw him struggling a bit for traction in the first 200 feet or so.

Colin came out and did a burn out that nearly got him to the finish line !! What a showman he is eh. The crowd went wild. But I guess he cant hear that from inside the car :yes:
He got back into full stage, but engine seemed to die just after he purged?
I think he blew a fuse.

I found Alex's car and I looked for Splinter but I couldnt see his car anywhere??

This is the first time in 8 years that I have been to the Pod without the MGB. So it was nice to get a look into the pits and chat to some proper racers at a pro event.

Mind you!
I could tell it wasnt a RWYB day. £32 to get in and £9 for a seat in the stand :shock:

But then I realised. If I had been racing it would have cost me £35 to get in and sign on. And a further £120 in nitrous and petrol. So I went and got a nice Tikka Massala wrap and salad for lunch. And I'm still well up on the day :rofl:

And as for the Big Methanol cars. I forgot just how they run and sound. Two rails I saw running actually blurred my vision as they went past with the sheer force of the shockwaves they were developing. There was one major incident when one rail lost a nearside rear wheel at about 200 feet out right in front of me. Luckily the car stayed upright and the driver got out ok. But the wheel ended up in the woods past the sand pit I think!!

Sorry Chaps!
This started out as simple reply to Ian, but seems to have ended up as a race report from today. You can tell I'm hyped about being there today cant you :)

I'm hoping that Ian and Ron managed to do some more good stuff after I left at 4pm. I had to get back for family stuff as usual :(

PS
Ian and Ron. Those team shirts look very nice guys. Hint Hint ;)
Myself and my Son who are big fans of yours are both XL or XXL sort of chaps :rofl:

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately in the next round the Fat Boys came up against Ron, so it was almost a forgone conclusion (especially with Ron's propensity to give it all he's got) and so it was that Ron blew the tires away while the Fat Boys rolled on through to the next round.

In the semi final they met a car that had just been fitted with a brand new state of the art £60,000 (or so I'm lead to believe and as that was through the grapevine it could be $$s or even more) 800 ci 'virtually' Pro Mod spec motor, with the latest 'state of the art' NX kit (because he thinks my kits are shit), that managed a 7.7 yesterday but was suffering some kind of problem today.

Now Ian (Fatty) is the master of the tree and the other guy knowing he had a sick motor and was up against the tree master pulled a cherry, handing the win to Ian and to make sure Ian also posted a quicker time anyway.

In the final round Ian was up against the top qualifier who had run a 7.69 the previous day but as a consequence of the track getting cold so late in the day, both cars struggled for traction and ran times slower than their previous bests by approx 0.2 (ish). However, thanks to Ian's mastery of the tree, he almost compensated for his 0.2 sec deficit as both cars crossed the finish line side by side but unfortunately Ian was JUST the loser this time round.

All in all an AMAZING EFFORT by the Fatboy's team making it to the final at their FIRST SERIOUS attempt in the class for 2 years and breaking in to the 7s in the process. Obviously this is early days and as you'd expect, there is much more to come. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:54 pm 
Wizard

Sounds good to me :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 am 
Learner

This is just a quicky as it's waaaay past the time I should be in bed with a 6:30am start! Fantastic weekend. NPB "off the bottle" of 8.66 and a 7.97 with gas. On the way to the seven we ran a NPB of 8.16 and used just 1.5 lbs of gas! Quite apart from anything else the frugality of a WON system is stunning! We made it to the final in just our second fully contested event and ran a seven after only four runs on gas. And there's a lot more to come. We haven't yet even opened the packs for the 500 and 600 hp jets but the ignition timing and fuel/N2O ratios are yet to be optimised with the 400hp jets currently in place. Plus there's tuning to be done in the suspension department. This

http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod/li ... /pic97.asp

was our launch against Colin Lazenby in the semi-final. When Brain converts some of that "up" into "forward" we will go quicker with what we already have let alone with even more power.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:17 am 

Fatty wrote:
This is just a quicky as it's waaaay past the time I should be in bed with a 6:30am start! Fantastic weekend. NPB "off the bottle" of 8.66 and a 7.97 with gas. On the way to the seven we ran a NPB of 8.16 and used just 1.5 lbs of gas! Quite apart from anything else the frugality of a WON system is stunning! We made it to the final in just our second fully contested event and ran a seven after only four runs on gas. And there's a lot more to come. We haven't yet even opened the packs for the 500 and 600 hp jets but the ignition timing and fuel/N2O ratios are yet to be optimised with the 400hp jets currently in place. Plus there's tuning to be done in the suspension department. This

http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod/li ... /pic97.asp

was our launch against Colin Lazenby in the semi-final. When Brain converts some of that "up" into "forward" we will go quicker with what we already have let alone with even more power.

Hi :)

Very very well done :)

I love the up and forward comment lol :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="Fatty"]This is just a quicky as it's waaaay past the time I should be in bed with a 6:30am start!
Thanks for taking the time to post for us Ian.

Fantastic weekend. NPB "off the bottle" of 8.66 and a 7.97 with gas. On the way to the seven we ran a NPB of 8.16 and used just 1.5 lbs of gas! Quite apart from anything else the frugality of a WON system is stunning!
As much as I’m well aware of how efficient my systems are, I think we’d better do some flow testing on yours, just to make sure you don’t have a restriction anywhere. lol

We made it to the final in just our second fully contested event and ran a seven after only four runs on gas. And there's a lot more to come. We haven't yet even opened the packs for the 500 and 600 hp jets but the ignition timing and fuel/N2O ratios are yet to be optimised with the 400hp jets currently in place. Plus there's tuning to be done in the suspension department.
UNDOUBTEDLY MUCH MORE TO COME

This was our launch against Colin Lazenby in the semi-final. When Brain converts some of that "up" into "forward" we will go quicker with what we already have let alone with even more power.
AWESOME!!!

I was SOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASED when you beat Lazenby and his mega buck motor with the NX shit on it.

If it had been the other way round (no matter what the cause of the problem), you KNOW that MY nitrous system would have been blamed, just as the same bunch were trying to blame Jerry for his problems EVEN WHEN HE HADN’T EVEN ARMED THE SYSTEM but I bet NOBODY is blaming the NX kit for Lazenby’s loss of performance and I’m sure NOBODY will say junk that nitrous kit as a consequence, and yet Jerry is bombarded with such comments and I’m sure in the early days you were as well.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next