NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Fat Boys (Ian Hook & Co) - The story so far.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:11 pm 
Learner

mgbv8 wrote:
Ian / Brain!!
You must be on the internet in your camper :)

I saw your 7 second pass from the grandstand today. I think it might have been your first run at around 3.20pm??
After chatting to Ron for a while late this morning I looked in. But you were all inside the camper. I didnt want to disturb you. I wandered by several times to try and catch you, but the the car was gone. I caught up with you in the fire up lane just as you went across the Zebra. And a marshall told me I couldnt go down the front unless I was on a team :(

Regards
Perry

You should have given the 'bus door a bash! We don't bite (HONEST). Maybe next time eh?

Brain.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

where's our FULL report!?!?!? :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 pm 
Wizard

hey brain, does that motorhome of yours have a kettle? :rofl:
ill be down on the 26th or 27th, not sure which yet. it seems ive become pit biatch for batty :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:27 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
where's our FULL report!?!?!? :cry:

On it's way Sir ;)

What a fantastic weekend!

I've been looking at the timing data from the weekend. Once again we ran the quickest 60 & 330 ft times in Street Eliminator. the 1/8 mile on the 7 second run came in at 5.16seconds @ 140 mph!

The first nitrous pass was with 300hp, 0.4s delay,35-100% over 1 second. that netted a PB 8.16 @ 171mph. with the 545 we used 550hp of nitrous to run 8.17!
We then stepped up to 400hp, 0.4 s delay 25-100% over 1.3 seconds and ran again (in the dark) :shock: There was a small amount of spin resulting in an 8.19 @ 171mph.
The following day we tried again but with a damping adjustment- it looked like a drift car coming off the line :omgrofl: 8.69 at 171mph(again!)

Eliminations:
The damping was changed back..(if you don't try, you won't know) and we had also spotted a potential problem looming- the data logger had shown that the lambda readings got slightly leaner throughout the runs and also the fuel pressure would steadily fall over the same period! We figured that it was a fuel delivery issue, which was cured by removing the foam from the tank and fitting a new fuel filter (that was full of tank foam too :shock: )

1st round:
I added 1 degree of timing, everything else left the same. The car left well, but started getting loose about 100ft out. The whole run was a long arc, getting pretty close to the centre line mid track!
The time came up on the scoreboard- HOLY SH*T- WE'VE DONE IT! 7.9730 @ 173.06mph

2nd round:
I added 5% to every point on the time ramp. The car left well but Ian reported that the nitrous appeared to shut off and restart around 100-150ft out. At this point we don't know what caused it :?: the run was 8.24 @ 172mph

Semi final:
Because of the previous shut down/restart, we elected to remove the 5% extra and bring the nitrous in 1/10th sec earlier, this resulted in our quickest ever 60ft (1.24) and a VERY long wheelie(about 80ft with the wheels 18" in the air)[see photo] and another 8.16 @ 171 mph

Final Round:
We changed the delay back to 4/10ths as it was now early evening and the track had cooled. There was little time before the final so Ian drove straight round and we re-packed the 'chute in the fire-up road! Also the nitrous bottles were 3 runs old!
We ran another 8.17 @ 170mph.

The data shows that with the 400hp jets the car tends to spin a bit when the front wheels come back from orbit, so I need to do a little "finessing" on the suspension settings for the next round. We also need to get the car on the scales to sort the corner weights, it seems to want to turn right when the front wheels touch down..................

We also need more power at the top end. The car is struggling to build mph at the finish line (wardrobe aerodynamics) so we will be stepping up to 500 hp for the National Finals and see if we can top 175mph!

It's been said a picture is worth a thousand words......so, here you go!

And a video......................

Cheers,
Brain.

Last edited by brain@fbracing on Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:30 am 
Learner

mrmoo wrote:
ill be down on the 26th or 27th, not sure which yet. it seems ive become pit biatch for batty :lol:

You're welcome to come round and stick the kettle on anytime you like :omgrofl:
I don't think it ever goes cold. ( well, not in the daytime, anyway ;) )

Brain.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:33 am 
Wizard

hopefully your not using the water from out the bottle heater :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:45 am 
Site Admin

brain@fbracing wrote:
removing the foam from the tank and fitting a new fuel filter (that was full of tank foam too :shock: )
You were DEAD LUCKY to find that in time and guess who all the TURDS would have blamed if you'd have melted something!!!

The time came up on the scoreboard- HOLY SH*T- WE'VE DONE IT! 7.9730 @ 173.06mph
LOL - Love that statement - LOL It might have been your first 7 BUT it was a SHIT RUN so there must be plenty left in it even on those jets had you had the time to optimise the whole package.

Final Round:
Shame things dropped off a little after the 7 but it's at least a sign of things to come and something to celebrate.

We also need more power at the top end. The car is struggling to build mph at the finish line (wardrobe aerodynamics) so we will be stepping up to 500 hp for the National Finals and see if we can top 175mph!
My advice would be to zone in what you have a little more before you do that and send me some more data so I can determine if the system is flowing as much as it should.

It's been said a picture is worth a thousand words......so, here you go!
What about a final pic of the nitrous system, never mind that other stuff. lol

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:56 am 
Learner

I need to get the data logs onto my memory stick so that I can study them here at home......
Hopefully I'll get that sorted this weekend.

The lambda readings appear to be rock steady (if a little rich, now we've fixed the fuel delivery issue)
No excessive richness to suggest any problems so far...............The plugs look fantastic!
I also need to look at the wiring for the N2O pressure sensor- it reads 2500psi all the time-even when the bottles are off!!

Brain.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

I just LOVE this pic;
http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod/li ... /pic97.asp

Here's a bit of the weekends events that I found particularly satisfying.

In the semi final the Fat Boys met a car that had just been fitted with a brand new state of the art £60,000 (or so I'm lead to believe and as that was through the grapevine it could be $$s or even more), 800 ci 'virtually' Pro Mod spec motor, with the latest 'state of the art' :omgrofl: NX kit, because he thinks my kits are shit.
In qualifying the car managed to run quicker than the Fat Boys with a 7.7 taking 2nd position to the Fat Boys 3rd but then went on to suffer some kind of problem today.
Now Ian (Fatty) is the master of the tree and the other guy knowing he had a sick car and was up against the tree master pulled a cherry, handing the win to Ian but to make sure Ian also posted a quicker time anyway.

The picture above is of that race and when you consider that the other guy pulled a cherry, it says a HELL OF A LOT about Ian's reaction times and the cars reaction, that Ian was in front so close to the start line.

Now on the basis that EVERYONE who puts me and my systems down uses, that means the reason the other guy lost was because his nitrous kit was no good - NO MATTER WHAT ELSE WAS THE 'ACTUAL' PROBLEM.
However, because I know better than to do that, I'll state quite clearly that I've NO IDEA what his problem was and I know it could be ANYTHING, so I'm not going to judge his nitrous kit on the fact that he was beaten by one of my customer.
Furthermore I don't need to judge the NX kit he's wasted his money on by his cars performance, because I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE of NX products, that although they are the best from the US (in some respects), they are still no match for my systems (because they still use the same generic components and antiquated technology), so he'd better hope his bigger and more expensive engine is enough to give him the edge over the Fat Boys in future, because if it's just down to the nitrous system, the Fat Boys can tell you which one they'd prefer to use, even though my systems are more expensive than the NX kits.

BTW, although I don’t know the cause of the problem for sure, as the car was still running acceptable well but relatively slow, there’s a good probability that the problem was the NX kit failing in some way or other but that still doesn’t mean the NX kit is shit buthad the situation been reversed I’m damn sure that’s what the brain dead fools would have said about my system.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
In the semi final the Fat Boys met a car that had just been fitted with a brand new state of the art £60,000 (or so I'm lead to believe and as that was through the grapevine it could be $$s or even more), 800 ci 'virtually' Pro Mod spec motor,

I think Colin's engine is even bigger than that....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Never let it be said that I exaggerate ANYTHING!!! ;)

Talking of not exaggerating, my US nitrous expert says I've SERIOUSLY UNDER STATED the ability of the Spider at 700 hp,
It's a shame the Fat Boys manifold is twin carb, because that would have been the IDEAL car to see what the upper flow limit is.

Having said that, BIG Ron has some BIG plans for next year, to join the Fat Boys in the 7s so if he sticks with his current manifold, the Spider should get a chance to show what it can do, even on a Baby Ford lump. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
It's a shame the Fat Boys manifold is twin carb, because that would have been the IDEAL car to see what the upper flow limit is.

couldnt they use two??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:26 pm 
Wizard

mrmoo wrote:

You'll be too busy for tea...unless i tell you to make some...bitch :rofl:

Go Fat Boys :yes:

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

mrmoo wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

couldnt they use two??

They could but it wouldn't be quite the same and it could be a tight squeeze for the 2 feeds between the plates.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:50 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
They could but it wouldn't be quite the same and it could be a tight squeeze for the 2 feeds between the plates.

well feed piping excluded, is it possible to block off some of the outlet pipes?
so the outlets on two plates that face each other or cause serious distruption be turned off
wouldnt they then work together as a single large plate?
or by some sort of modification they be completely removed?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:48 am 
Site Admin

mrmoo wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

well feed piping excluded, is it possible to block off some of the outlet pipes?
so the outlets on two plates that face each other or cause serious distruption be turned off
wouldnt they then work together as a single large plate?
or by some sort of modification they be completely removed?

It was an original design feature that we could leave out 4 pairs of the legs and fit blanks instead, so yes that is possible. As long as the carbs are far enough apart it would be possible to use 2 x 4 leg Spiders and that might be something Ian would like to consider as there MIGHT be some slight advantage in it.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:46 pm 
Wizard

Ha Ha!!

Moo is Batty's pit bitch now :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 am 
Learner

Well done Fatboys on your 7 .It was good to be back out playing with you guys again

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Ron,

If you had to lose to somebody, I bet you'd choose Ian rather than anyone else. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:28 pm 
Wizard

I didnt see Andy Frost or Splinter on site.

Did I miss them somehwere??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:37 pm 
Learner

mgbv8 wrote:
I didnt see Andy Frost or Splinter on site.

Did I miss them somehwere??

Splinter has taken a year off, although he was at the track.
Frosty isn't doing SE anymore- he's building a turbo ProMod.( he was also present on saturday)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'd put money on Frost being too scared to face being beaten by a car with one of my systems on it in SE, so he's done a runner to another class but obviously he wont be admitting that any time soon. :omgrofl:

BTW what was the best time he ran nitrous and what's been his best since acknowledging how little he knows about nitrous and jumping ship to turbo?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:40 pm 
Learner

I'm pretty sure it was 8.24 on nitrous (using Sportsman Pro tyres)
With turbos it is 7.67 on drag radials.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:28 am 
Site Admin

In that case you'd better be aiming for a 7.60 at the next meeting then Brain, shall I send you some bigger jets and a set of REVO's? :yes:

Obviously it's too early for you to run those numbers BUT I'm sure with a set of REVO's you'll be able to run AT LEAST AS QUICK AS THAT, sometime next year. :twisted:

Can you believe that FROST claims we failed to deliver, just because he NARROWLY beat you at your FIRST EVENT AFTER SWITCHING TO MY SYSTEM!!!

Can you remind me how many runs you'd had with my system, what power you were running at that time and how much he JUST beat you by?

He also claims his car was much heavier than yours (funny how that doesn't come in to it when he was beating you when you were using NOS kits) but my guess is that he had a much better engine than you had to make up for that, so any info on that would be welcome.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:44 pm 
Learner

I'll consult my memory banks later...
I'm sure I can remember most of it 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next