NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2 years to date
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:20 am 
Learner

its been almost 2 years to the date but i cannot believe it im finally going to the track on the 26th .
have 40 lbs of nitrous and 20 gallons of c16 .

car has taken a long time but major upgrades have been completed .
will run the same motor with a few external upgrades to the vacuum system . all new disc brakes , new dual disc tilton clutch with hydraulic clutch managment , custom irs rear suspension with almost no camber change coupled to a new taller geared 4 speed bus based gearbox with what i hope are very strong internals this time around .there is so many upgrades and trick i would not know where to start .one thing for sure is my tig welding lesson is now completed .

plan is to spend the whole day at the track and race in the evenning drags , its a special year as its the 20th anniversary and this is looking up to be a huge evenning event .
there is alot to do with the car as almost the complete suspension , brakes and driveline are new and untested . i need to start slow and get the car safe as well as figure out initial clutch and base settings before i spray .car has been run and is stable at over 100 mph and stops well but like i said at the track its all new again .
if all goes well will plan to hit it with between a 150 -200 shot ,fingers crossed

now i got to remember how all this nitrous stuff works ,
did fire off the system the other day ,first time in 2 years .
static test from 3300 rpm jetted with the original dual pulsoid setup jetted at 8 psi with 20 fuel and 50 nitrous jets .car reved quickly and cleanly on the static test to 7500 rpm with a A/F showing 12 flat which if i remember from past test is ok as it always show 0.8-1.1 richer than a road test .
? anything i need to be aware of after the pulsoids sitting for so long ? should i dry cycle them or anything or is it a matter of checking for leaks ?

anyway will keep you up to date .
and its great to be back behind the wheel as its been waaaaay to long .
Jim

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: 2 years to date
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:47 am 
Learner

Exciting times ahead Jim, brace yourself.

Unfortunately the picture doesn`t work.

Paul.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 pm 
Wizard

Well done Jim!!!
I bet you are not going to get much sleep the night before :)

Hope all goes well for the first test runs mate.

Regards
Perry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

jim martin wrote:
its been almost 2 years to the date but i cannot believe it im finally going to the track on the 26th .
have 40 lbs of nitrous and 20 gallons of c16.
Bloody hell Jim it's about time to!!!!

car has taken a long time but major upgrades have been completed .
will run the same motor with a few external upgrades to the vacuum system . all new disc brakes , new dual disc tilton clutch with hydraulic clutch managment , custom irs rear suspension with almost no camber change coupled to a new taller geared 4 speed bus based gearbox with what i hope are very strong internals this time around .there is so many upgrades and trick i would not know where to start .one thing for sure is my tig welding lesson is now completed .
Sounds very promising. :yes:

plan is to spend the whole day at the track and race in the evenning drags , its a special year as its the 20th anniversary and this is looking up to be a huge evenning event .
there is alot to do with the car as almost the complete suspension , brakes and driveline are new and untested . i need to start slow and get the car safe as well as figure out initial clutch and base settings before i spray .car has been run and is stable at over 100 mph and stops well but like i said at the track its all new again .
Safe is certainly always best.

if all goes well will plan to hit it with between a 150 -200 shot ,fingers crossed
Likewise.

now i got to remember how all this nitrous stuff works ,
did fire off the system the other day ,first time in 2 years .
static test from 3300 rpm jetted with the original dual pulsoid setup jetted at 8 psi with 20 fuel and 50 nitrous jets .
Those jet sizes are usually used with fuel injection pressure 35 to 40 psi, so how you've ended up at 8 psi I can only assume is due to excess fuel delivery through the carbs, so I'd be treading very carefully under those circumstances.
Just had a thought, maybe you have 4 fuel jets and 2 nitrous jets!?!?!?

car reved quickly and cleanly on the static test to 7500 rpm with a A/F showing 12 flat which if i remember from past test is ok as it always show 0.8-1.1 richer than a road test .
Yes that sounds fine, so I'd be very surprised if you didn't have the jet quantities just mentioned.

? anything i need to be aware of after the pulsoids sitting for so long ? should i dry cycle them or anything or is it a matter of checking for leaks ?
The greatest risk from Pulsoids being sat doing nothing for an extended period of time, is from the fuel decaying and causing the plunger seal to deteriorate. This deterioration can be in one of 3 ways (depending on the fuel ingredients);
1) The seal material goes soft allowing the seat to cut through it, leading to major flooding.
2) The seal material breaks up with the potential risk of jet blockage.
3) The seal material expands and reduces the plunger lift and therefore the flow capability of seat, which in extreme circumstances can entirely block the flow off.

These failures may not show up immediately you start to re-use them, so don't assume they will be OK just because they work OK now. The very least you MUST do is inspect the condition of the plunger seals and to be on the safe side I'd replace them with our latest PTFE coated plungers which have our latest material that is the most fuel resistant we've been able to obtain.

anyway will keep you up to date .
and its great to be back behind the wheel as its been waaaaay to long .
Jim
Glad to have you back and looking forward to some GREAT results.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

BTW Jim, your website doesn't seem to be working, so not only can't we see your picture but nobody can view your products. :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:09 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
jim martin wrote:
The greatest risk from Pulsoids being sat doing nothing for an extended period of time, is from the fuel decaying and causing the plunger seal to deteriorate. This deterioration can be in one of 3 ways (depending on the fuel ingredients);
1) The seal material goes soft allowing the seat to cut through it, leading to major flooding.
2) The seal material breaks up with the potential risk of jet blockage.
3) The seal material expands and reduces the plunger lift and therefore the flow capability of seat, which in extreme circumstances can entirely block the flow off.

These failures may not show up immediately you start to re-use them, so don't assume they will be OK just because they work OK now. The very least you MUST do is inspect the condition of the plunger seals and to be on the safe side I'd replace them with our latest PTFE coated plungers which have our latest material that is the most fuel resistant we've been able to obtain.

I was going to mention that but didn't want to step on anyone's toes...lol. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

Having only one leg I only have half as many toes to tread on, :lol: so it wouldn't be a problem to me and there shouldn't be anyone else on the forum to be concerned about in that respect, so feel free to post WHATEVER you feel appropriate. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 pm 
Learner

:yes:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:04 am 
Learner

Jim,

Good luck and keep us posted!

:D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:12 am 
Learner

yes im very pumped to be back at it and plan on moving fwd again .
looking fwd to talking to all of you at the wizard headquarters soon .
and most likely to get some new seals asap as time is now running out .now that i think about it if you can ready them to go first thing in the AM i will call and settle up .will need them in less than 1 week so we will need to see what shipping options there is .

yes just recently my site was hacked by very clever people who hide programs within your site and used this access to attempt to obtain personal banking info from people at some top rated banks in canada and the usa .
so until it is cleared and i redue many files they have for obvious safety reason closed the site .which has killed the photos .
will get some up somehow as the mods turned out fantastic

what do i need to do asap to inspect the seats for damage ? this is a top priority for me now as it would seam not safe

setup is same as last time , 2 sets of pulsoids .1 set per bank . jetted at the pulsoid outlets using only 1 jet per pulsoid .so a total of 2 fuel jets and 2 nitrous jets -- fuel pressure can be set from 4 -10 psi .
like i said its been to long and i cant remember .i think this is correct but cant be sure .
talk soon and will check the seats as soon as i get directions

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:50 am 
Learner

jim martin wrote:
...will get some up somehow as the mods turned out fantastic...

Jim,

If you want to e-mail me your pics to jeff@badbugracing.com I can host them on my site and put a link in this thread for you.

Have a wonderful day!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

jim martin wrote:
yes im very pumped to be back at it and plan on moving fwd again .
I bet you are!!!

looking fwd to talking to all of you at the wizard headquarters soon .
and most likely to get some new seals asap as time is now running out .now that i think about it if you can ready them to go first thing in the AM i will call and settle up .will need them in less than 1 week so we will need to see what shipping options there is .
We can have them out to you today.

yes just recently my site was hacked by very clever people who hide programs within your site and used this access to attempt to obtain personal banking info from people at some top rated banks in canada and the usa .
so until it is cleared and i redue many files they have for obvious safety reason closed the site .which has killed the photos .
Sorry to hear that Jim but there's some REAL BASTARDS out there, who will screw you for all you've got if they can. :x :x

will get some up somehow as the mods turned out fantastic
I'd be happy to add them to our gallery if you email them to me.

what do i need to do asap to inspect the seats for damage ? this is a top priority for me now as it would seam not safe
You need to unscrew the mounting grub screw, unscrew the retainer and then dislodge the slug, then the plunger and spring will come out for inspection.

setup is same as last time , 2 sets of pulsoids .1 set per bank . jetted at the pulsoid outlets using only 1 jet per pulsoid .so a total of 2 fuel jets and 2 nitrous jets -- fuel pressure can be set from 4 -10 psi .
like i said its been to long and i cant remember .i think this is correct but cant be sure .
That doesn't fall in to our normal nitrous to fuel jet ratio at that pressure, so I'd check those details again.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm 
Learner

thanks for the offer on the picture upload .i do not have time to get them sorted as im spending any extra time getting my self or should i say trying to get organised for next friday .
i will take some new ones at the track and im sure my helper will take some extras and video as well and get it together .

called this morning and talked with Anthony and got the parts coming for the fuel seats as mentioned .i will check them tonight and see how they look .

as far as jetting goes you may be right on the money Trev .i discussed this with Ant this morning
my old notes did not say how many of what jet i was using and it might of been
3 jets per side .so i might of had 2 @20 and 1 @ 50 per bank at 6 psi .
will install a 40/50 combo at the track and try it in 3rd or 4th and watch the A/F ratio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

8) Best of luck for the weekend.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:57 am 
Learner

thanks Guys .nitrous seals arrived today and will put them in this evenning .
forgot to ask will this effect my seat height adjustment ?
if i need to readjut it can you list the seat height for both fuel and nitrous .
thinking it was like 1mm for fuel and 0.5mm for nitrous?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:23 am 
Site Admin

jim martin wrote:
thanks Guys .nitrous seals arrived today and will put them in this evenning .
Glad to hear it Jim

forgot to ask will this effect my seat height adjustment ?
If the existing seals have expanded (and you haven't reset the lift since then, it should put the lift back to the correct position. If they haven't expanded then it should have no effect on the lift but either way, it would be worth checking after the fitting.

if i need to readjut it can you list the seat height for both fuel and nitrous .
thinking it was like 1mm for fuel and 0.5mm for nitrous?
That depends on the size of the Pulsoids and for optimum performance you should follow these instructions;
http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/Curing%20P ... leaks2.pdf

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:41 pm 
Learner

well what a day .84*f in the shade .launch pad temp over 120*f and a hell of a lot to do .my new suspension coupled with the dual disc clutch has given me a workout as i just could not seam to loosen the car up and was bogging of the line every pass .even launching with a 50 shot i would still hesitate of the line .will go back this coming up month and work on the rear of the car .
but it was stable and safe as well as i did still manage to take low aircooled vw et and the paycheck home .which was really nice .
i plugged some numbers into the controller which now that i look at them could only be entered by a overheated man after a long day .but it ran very rich , sputtered a bit in high gear and didnt launch the best but still ran a 11.4 at 120 mph .
jetting was way off at 80f/100n and AF was logged at 11:1.
will get the controller settings up as well as some nitrous logged data as i see a problem that needs looking into .
also on the sunday show took 1st place in the race catagory .
so not a bad weekend .paycheck , low et , and a show trophy .and lots of potential to come

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Not bad going for a ring rusty driver/tuner and new parts!!! :yes:

Bogging is ideal, so I wouldn't change that, I'd just get more nitrous in there so it pulls away hard and strong. :twisted:

I look forward to seeing the logs etc.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)