NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:09 pm 
It's an industrial hose, basically its for when you need to save weight don't need quite so much protection and don't mind it expanding.
The fittings are so thick walled because of the working pressure being double that of stainless braided.
High flow rate :lol: Yeah, of what ?
Notice they don't mention how well it preserves density ;)
Though they are learning and do mention how it protects the nitrous from heat so they have found one good selling point.

(You don't want to know how much I pay per Meter for that stuff ;) )

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:18 pm 

Good thing we have you around working in the industry as the higher pressure rating never crossed my mind on the thick sleeve walls.:)

I know the stuff is cheap and used in coil form for paintball guns. I guess density is not key here. LOL

This post must be made a sticky as it's good general information that people may not see often but important to clear up myths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:24 pm 
I don't know if its worth a sticky,
But i do still need;

One tangible benefit of braided hose for the transfer of liquid nitrous oxide

(The article's looking like a cruel blood sport at the moment :cry: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:29 pm 
Pro Mod

Ok Loopy heres the one that benifits me and having been at Highpower and transferd a few hundred lbs on juice I like my -8 line for transfering as it aids in the speed in which it is pumped in. I have the same transfer pump that HP has and when you pump larger amounts its nice....

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:40 pm 
:lol: You should have said !
I could have supplied you with -8 "race" hose from stock
Or -32 if you don't mind something a bit meatier ;)

Ok, i'll rephrase the question (bloody smartasses)

Name one tangible benefit of braided hose in the transfer of liquid nitrous oxide IN AN AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEM ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:55 pm 
Pro Mod

Well loopy I have plenty of -6 and if someone made the black race hose in a -8 I would use it. Now the black race hose in -6 form is legal to run as I ran it at a national event with no problem and even asked the tech offcial about it. I also had the WON system complete with its red and blue lines from the pulsoids to the crossfires . I also use a foam insulation on all my braided nitrous and fuel lines.

Loopy you find me a plastic hose in the equal size I will do my best to get it made legal. I use 2 -6 from my bottles to a -8 that then y's off to there seperate Pulsoids. Now before you go and tell me how 2 -6 will out flow 1 -8, I know this but it depends on how much N2O your trying to flow and I have flowed a few thousand lbs of it and know where I need to upgread my -8 when I reach that point.

I will also tell you that using AN fittings are nice in removal of the lines from the bottles. In are class we do this thousands of times a year. But I know the benifits of the plastice tubing and would love to have it, so find it please and let Denny and I begin the task of making it legal.

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:15 pm 

Johnny we still have a lot of racers using the 5mm nylon that won't pass inspection if a track official is anal. I heard California can be really strict so getting the 5mm legal would be just as important. Any ideas as I haven't put much thought into it yet?

We haven't had any customers denied yet at a track thankfully.

Last edited by racetested on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Johnny,

Loopy & I have been trying and continue to try to find a more suitable hose than SS braided for high flow requirements. One day technology will be able to provide us with a suitable pipe and when they do I'll also make special fittings to suit.

Just for everyone else (and you Johnny, eventually maybe) I will be offering special high flow fittings, for use on the ends of SS braided hose in the near future, that will provide an almost stepless bore / flow.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 pm 
If you want -8 "race" hose then just go to your local "Gates" hydraulic supplier, if you ask nicely you can take the fittings home and port them before they get crimped, you might not get AN tapers though. Every other bloody taper though.
Just ask for H2 or HK4 hose, but since you're up above -4 then the choice is yours, just ask the rep.

;) If you want me to comment about the installation then i'd need to know the lengths before commenting on the -6 / -8 compatability :P
I told you, above -4 and you're in my world of flow rates. :twisted:
Get to using 3000psi + and we'll discuss numbers ;)

(A 1000psi @ 1lb per second wouldn't be enough of a lubrication leak off rate for some motors, maybe 3000psi @10lb a second :lol: )

Trust me, if i could get someone to make plastic in a decent size it'd be done by now.
Wizards are way ahead of me on this and getting closer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:29 pm 
Pro Mod

Denny the only way we can get it approved is to approach the sanctioning bodies. Now that could start with the Division heads of tech but will be put to the head of Tech before all is said and done. I would have all paper work regaurding the hose in question and the specs on the SS line also to show the bursts rates. Thats the starting point. :D

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:31 pm 

Hear that Trev, start getting that printed hose in production so we have proof. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

We already have the hose with our name and pressure rating on it, so it'll be going out in kits any time now.

Are we taking any bets on who will make some groundless claims that the pressure rating on the pipe is false and that it's only good for 100 psi??? LOL LOL LOL LOL
You think such people would have realised by now, that they just show their own stupidity by making such false statements!!!
Although come to think of it they must be even more stupid than we think they are, as they've already ignored all our previous postings of proof.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:11 pm 
Pro Mod

Trev, I think its great that the new hose has it posted what its pressures are. People will always talk and thats all they will do is talk BULLS*#T .

A.K.A. Cult Member #40

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:15 pm 
Thats too easy !
It'll be either;
Mr A. Nonymous or Mr. Guest
Since Trolls never like to be called their real name.

Now come on, funs over.
Could someone PLEASE;
Name one tangible benefit of braided hose in the transfer of liquid nitrous oxide IN AN AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:11 am 

Still no reply to your original question but Tom did set the site up so you have to be a member to post.

Here's a question though. How inefficient is the braided line for higher hp applications that can utilize the bigger bore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Loopy,
I made a similar post on a top bike board asking for anyone to give me just ONE example of ANY superior component of a US kit over mine and I got just the same response!!!!
Not even the top Promod bike owner had anything to say, just a couple of muppets spouting garbage and not a single fact.

Denny,
That's a good point, it would be interesting if we could quantify the losses. ;-)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:15 am 
Learner

Ok here ya go Loopy, list of benefits for stainless braided teflon (ptfe) hose and fitting combinations. Remember, you did not ask for a comparision, only the benefits.

Available at thousands of locations worldwide at an acceptable cost
    Interchangable between most manufacturers and many alternate systems such as brake hydraulics. Uses AN fittings which are in wide use
    Available in a wide range of sizes, lengths and fitting arrangements
    Proven track record in both military and racing applications
    NHRA/IHRA approved for use in Nitrous applications

Those are the ones that quickly come to mind. I'll state again, I do see a lot of room for improvement in this hose system, primarily the fittings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:32 pm 

I believe Loopy is looking for flow and density preservation benefits which there are none that I know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:03 pm 
Available at thousands of locations worldwide at an acceptable cost
Constant bore would be too if the big nitrous companies got their heads out of their asses

Interchangable between most manufacturers and many alternate systems such as brake hydraulics.
See above

Available in a wide range of sizes, lengths and fitting arrangements
See above

Proven track record in both military
How long have they used liquid gasses ?
and racing applications.
Because the big companies never bothered to get their heads out of their asses

NHRA/IHRA approved for use in Nitrous applications
Only for now, only for now

Uses AN fittings which are in wide use
Only in the USA, but see above anyway

OK
Name one benefit of stepped bore pipe over constant bore pipe in the transfer of liquid nitrous oxide in an automotive system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:08 pm 
Learner

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:26 pm 
Learner

Hey Loopy...the US military has been using nitrous since the 30's or 40's. Had it on planes in WWII
Just letting you know.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:59 pm 
HellBent wrote:
Hey Loopy...the US military has been using nitrous since the 30's or 40's. Had it on planes in WWII
Just letting you know.....

Wouldn't that be better phrased as "The US military USED nitrous in the 30's or 40's"

That tired old donkey gets dragged out in every journalistic reference related to nitrous.
Besides from what i can make out they primarily used gaseous nitrous and I don't think the US Military has actually used the stuff in anger since the advent of the jet engine.
Depending on the version of history you read both sides were the "first" to use nitrous :lol:

Possibly why everything is 30 years behind the times ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:29 pm 

My history is not all that polished but I thought the Germans first used nitrous in the planes at high altitudes where the atmosheric air did not contain enough oxygen for power. Then the US military men stationed in Europe brought the idea back to the US and later used it on cars in the 50's and 60's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:30 pm 

Plus Joseph Priestly from the UK invented nitrous so he's the one that truly started it all. :thumbsup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:41 am 
Site Admin

ALL 100% CORRECT!!!!!

I'm also reliably informed that a British company called Ricardo consultants were carrying out tests at the same time as the Germans.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next