NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paddle clutch experiences?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:10 pm 
Learner

Seeing as the standard clio clutch doesnt cope well with the extra +60bl/ft of the car and how its used on the strip alot, i've gone about ordering a more manly setup.

Very little avaliable for my car so had Helix make a custom clutch through a retailer for my needs, only problem is its a 4 paddle cerametallic clutch with uprated pressure plate.

Been doing some reserach and although im obviously expecting some sacrifice in driving comfort/ease i've heard alot of horror stories that the car will be undrivable and destroy the whole experience due to its on/off feel.

Has anybody had any personal experiences with clutches of this sort and road driving? Fact not fiction please. Will it be an utter nightmare around town? Will it kill my engine mounts? And will it destroy my gearbox internals early?

I'm very tempted to use my new uprated pressure plate with the original friction plate, hopefully this will handle the nitrous?

Thanks for reading.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Paddle clutch experiences?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:47 pm 
Learner

i have a 6 puk on my car, as the standard one didn't like the nitrous either......the peddle is a lot better that when it was standard.....but its still abit on/off.

I would rather have a 6 puk than a for town driving.....also you will hear it chatter.

going to up rate the engine mounts in mine.

dont K TEC do any clutch's for your car.

also cant you get your clutch relined.

dave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:21 pm 
Wizard

A few years ago i had a 4 paddle cerametallic plate...seemed like a good idea before driving it :tard: if i was doing racing starts, then it was absolutely fine but anything like normal driving in traffic and it was bl$$dy awful!!!. I took it out after a few months...

Now i'm back in the same boat though, i have a helix top spec organic clutch in at the moment and it drives lovely but on the strip giving it maximum beens off the line with a good dose of nitrous, it's very very marginal on holding it and sometimes smells a bit :redface: . The only path is a cerametallic plate again. This time i've done some reading up first on various forums and it seems that a 6 paddle (sprung centre obviously) is the way to go and Alcon or AP are the better ones for being 'useable' for normal driving. I'll be getting one over the winter and fitting it, so i can't confirm if they're right or not just yet.

Ian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:23 pm 
Wizard

hi ben
i have the 6 paddle cerametallic mine is a bmw diesel so i have the DMF aswell, i was told the 4 may be abit too much seeing as its mainly for road, and yes there was alot of horror stories from other users on furoms..all i can say is once you get over the fact its never going to feel the same as the standard you should be fine ..thing is its doing what i wanted it for... NO clutch slip with 75 shot of nitrous at any speed at any gear ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:06 am 

Im not a fan of 4 paddles in FWD cars, too easily to spin the wheels up by mistake, 6 paddle would be a better option, they are a lot less agressive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:07 am 
Learner

I had several 4 paddle spring hub clutches on my French hot hatches. Most of them came from OMP.
I found them a good match with nitrous on some of my cars. I didn`t have a controller at that time and the 4 paddle clutch handled the shock loading on nitrous activation pretty well.
I sometimes had to adjust my driving style when on a daily commute. The paddle clutch has a on/off engagement point, and at low revs it can rattle a bit when pulling away from a stoplight, but you get used to it. Never had a single problem with it, although, because of their design they tend to wear out faster than an oem clutch.
A paddle clutch with a light pedalpressuure is essential when you still have the stock clutchmaster cylinder. On some of my cars the stiff pedal pressure prematurely knackered the seals of the clutchmaster cylinder.
On my current 2008 CTR I have an Exedy stage 1 clutch kit. It has an organic clutch plate. Stock pedal pressure and it handles a 100 bhp shot up untill now.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 pm 
Learner

Only four paddle ceramic clutch is avaliable for my car, the two options avaliable to me are:

1) Uprated pressure plate with 4 paddle ceramic sprung friction plate.

Or

2) Use the uprated pressure plate in conjunction with the standard Renault friction plate.

Whats the best option? Car is occassionally dragged, only running 50bhp jets and used on road alot more than track.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:34 pm 
Learner

Try Grant from GBE
Tel: 01278 651044
Clicky for the contact page

He's sorted a custom clutch for my mate Eddie :)

Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:18 pm 

I have had the 4 paddle clutch from K tec in my clio and that struggles at anywhere near 250 torques.
I have searched and quized everyone about a stronger clutch and nothing has come of it other than a Vag box and clutch.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:23 am 

Tom, can you not use a megane clutch? Or is the FRT flywheel a different fitment to a F4R?

If you ask the guys at Michael Woodford Motorsport they should be able to help you out with a clutch that does work as I mapped a turbo clio 172 F4R that they built and that made 250lfbt of torque and doesnt suffer at all with wheelspin.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:14 pm 

I have not spoke to them but spoke to Andy at K tec and he said that they have a custom uprated one for around 700 plus fitting. sounded good until i asked him if it will be up to launching off the line with my power plus slicks and nitrous and he laughed. Hence the vag box conversion. as there are plenty of choices for their stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:36 pm 
Learner

When I converted my Mk2 Golf to a 16vG60 supercharged I used a Helix 4 puck and pressure plate, worked well!.

Tried a 5 puck in the Mitsubishi GTO and it destroyed it in 1500 miles..

For a light car they work very well, if you have decent clutch control you`ll be fine but you have to concentrate in stop/start traffic and hill starts.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 pm 

tom172cup wrote:
I have not spoke to them but spoke to Andy at K tec and he said that they have a custom uprated one for around 700 plus fitting. sounded good until i asked him if it will be up to launching off the line with my power plus slicks and nitrous and he laughed. Hence the vag box conversion. as there are plenty of choices for their stuff.

Yeah the boxes are crap, thats why im going for a honda engine and box in my mk1 clio project!

Shame as I like renault engines, but the boxes are just terrible.