NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Nitrogen and fixings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm 
Learner

Hi all,

I'm looking at refurbing my suspension and need to get hold of 4 sets of fixings and pipes to attach to and allow some spheres to be refilled with nitrogen. Any ideas?

It's basically a case of drill the top of the sphere, weld a nut in and then attach and run a pipe to somewhere on the car that's more easily accessible for filling.

Cheers

PB: 16@86.19mph off gas, 14.94@90.5mph on gas

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Nitrogen and fixings
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

You shouldn't need to weld in fittings, as drilling and tapping should do the trick.

We can supply whatever fittings, taps and pipe you need.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm 
Learner

Hi Trev,

Glad to see you ok and back posting again :)

Noswizard wrote:
You shouldn't need to weld in fittings, as drilling and tapping should do the trick.

We can supply whatever fittings, taps and pipe you need.

I was hoping you would say something like that :D

I'm unsure what the standard fixing for a nitrogen bottle is but I'm basically looking for everything to go from the sphere to a fixing location probably about 18-24 inches (max) away. I'd imagine flexable piping (maybe braided SS?) would be best due to it being a suspension component.

The reason for welding in a fitting is due to the sphere itself not being overly thick and the high'ish pressure of the nitrogen. I'll see if I can upload a pic of the sphere itself but if you feel it will be ok with just a tap then I will take your advice :yes:

Do you have any idea of a rough price?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Any idea what pressure it runs at?

No idea of price yet as I've still to formulate a full understanding of what you're going to need.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:44 pm 
Learner

Not entirely sure on the F but the Maxi which uses a similiar system has been tested with a couple of different pressures:

Quote:
* Firm car: 9.5 bar Nitrogen and a line pressure of around 18bar on the fluid later.
* Soft car: 13.5 bar Nitrogen and fluid to the recommended setting of at least 20 bar or higher.

I seem to remember there being a mixed opinion on what the F runs but the only one I saved is:

Quote:
Nitrogen gas pressure: 21.72 bar ± 3% (315psi ± 10psi)

These are the spheres in question

The holes are drilled already on the top surface slightly off center to clear most of the bodywork.

Space is quite tight hence the need for a flexible pipe rather than something solid, that and I expect they will need topping up again down the line and I'd like to be able to do it on the car.

It's just to the left, behind the shock.

Thanks for all your help :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

Those pressures are WELL within the safe realms of our nylon pipe (even our 'low' pressure pipe is capable of in excess of 1,500 psi - 100 bar ish), which would be MUCH cheaper than braided hose but we can supply braided if you want.

I'd need to se the holes in the units to make any further suggestions but my guess is that just tapping the holes and putting in a BSP thread would more than suffice and our nylon pipe would be the best option.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm 
Learner

I was thinking braided mainly for the looks but if nylon will do the trick then I'm perfectly happy to go for that :yes: The car's not exactly show-worthy at the moment so I can live without shiny bits for now :lol:

The holes are just what I have drilled myself, probably a 4-5mm hole at the moment. Not a great pic but you can just about make out the holes:

Do you know what fixings would be needed to attach to a nitrogen bottle or pump?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

gotenks1321 wrote:
I was thinking braided mainly for the looks but if nylon will do the trick then I'm perfectly happy to go for that :yes: The car's not exactly show-worthy at the moment so I can live without shiny bits for now :lol:
I'm surprised suspension parts can be seen. believe it or not but as long as the nylon pipe is routed to avoid rubbing against anything metal (same applies to braided), it would last longer than braided.

The holes are just what I have drilled myself, probably a 4-5mm hole at the moment. Not a great pic but you can just about make out the holes:
If you open those out to 1/8 BSPT we can supply you with appropriate fittings to adapt to our nylon (or braided) pipe, both straight or 90 degree elbows.

Do you know what fixings would be needed to attach to a nitrogen bottle or pump?
You wouldn't use a pump and you couldn't connect directly to a nitrogen bottle, as the pressure would be too high (at over 3,000 psi), so you'd need a regulator to drop it down to the desired pressure, then we can supply the appropriate fitting to match that to our pipe.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
gotenks1321 wrote:
I'm surprised suspension parts can be seen. believe it or not but as long as the nylon pipe is routed to avoid rubbing against anything metal (same applies to braided), it would last longer than braided.

If you open those out to 1/8 BSPT we can supply you with appropriate fittings to adapt to our nylon (or braided) pipe, both straight or 90 degree elbows.

You wouldn't use a pump and you couldn't connect directly to a nitrogen bottle, as the pressure would be too high (at over 3,000 psi), so you'd need a regulator to drop it down to the desired pressure, then we can supply the appropriate fitting to match that to our pipe.

Thanks Trev :yes: Nylon pipe with a 90 degree elbow sounds like the way to go :)

Regulators are looking rather expensive :shock: I shall have to see if there's somewhere local that does the gas and whether the regulator comes with it or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

A regulator won't be supplied with the bottle of gas.

There is a way you could do it without a regulator but you'd be safest to use a 2nd bottle to do it rather than connect directly to the reservoirs.

You'd need a length of pipe with a T piece and a gauge in it, to connect the 2 bottles together. You then open the empty bottle valve, followed by opening the full bottle valve VERY SLIGHTLY, while monitoring the gauge. Fill the 2nd bottle to say 50 psi more than you need for the reservoirs and then repeat the process to fill them from the low pressure bottle.

Going straight from the full nitrogen bottle to the reservoirs could lead to an accidental over pressurisation of the reservoirs which could put you at risk of physical harm but doing it my way you'd be at much less risk.

We should be able to supply everything you need to connect directly to a supplied nitrogen bottle as I've described above.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:43 pm 
Learner

Hi Trev.

Thanks for that :yes: How much do you reckon the whole lot would come to? Are you saying you would be able to provide the 2nd bottle as well? Regulators for the kind of pressure I'm looking at seem to go for around £2-300 which seems a lot for something that I won't use a great deal. Would that 2nd bottle then be able to be used as an extra nitrous bottle or something similiar until it was needed to top up the nitogen again?

Money is going to be tight next month as I change over to a new job but I'd imagine i'd be looking to do this around May/June time depending on how business picks up (going self employed :D )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

gotenks1321 wrote:
How much do you reckon the whole lot would come to?
I can't say yet, as I'm still not absolutely certain of 'all' the items you'll need, so I think a phone call is needed to finalise that. Please drop me a PM with your number.

Are you saying you would be able to provide the 2nd bottle as well?
Yes we can do that.

Regulators for the kind of pressure I'm looking at seem to go for around £2-300 which seems a lot for something that I won't use a great deal.
That's probably not the right one as the type you need to reach those output pressures are usually at least another £100 on top of that.

Would that 2nd bottle then be able to be used as an extra nitrous bottle or something similiar until it was needed to top up the nitogen again?
Depending on what size you go for, yes.

Money is going to be tight next month as I change over to a new job but I'd imagine i'd be looking to do this around May/June time depending on how business picks up (going self employed :D )
There are certain advantages to being self employed but there are NUMEROUS DISADVANTAGES that most people fail to be aware of. I've been self employed for almost 40 years and I'd say more than half of that time I spent wishing I wasn't and I'd NEVER advise anyone to take that route, unless they had no alternative option.
If it weren't for the immense pleasure I've had from all the R&D I've been able to carry out in the past 35 years and all the pleasure my systems have given to many thousands of customers, there's very little else I could say has been enjoyable about being self employed.

Think long and hard and then be prepared to work LONGGGGGG & HARDDDD if you take that route.

FYI I can't remember a day when I didn't have enough work for TEN men to do, that I had to do myself and in trying to do so I've very nearly worked 24/7 for most of those 40 years.
:evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:30 pm 
Learner

Slightly off topic but about Self Employment.

I love it!!!. I took it up to pick my own hours and work schedule and the free time when I want (plus I don't take kindly to jumped up little hitlers which seem to have infiltrated most workplaces). I do exactly that and am thankfully not in the position like Trevor where he is overloaded it seems with work and can't turn it down as he has more than his own mouth to feed. I'm lucky I suppose in that I don't so if I have too much for my liking I simply turn work down which I know is not an option for most people.

I only work myself for the pure enjoyment even though it's far from it sometimes, the money side of it is a bonus and goes towards spontaneous purchases or trips most of the time as I'm also lucky to have a very small list of outgoings.

If it suits you then by all means go for it. If it doesn't work out then at least you gave it a go is what I say.

I've been doing it for 4 years now and it has boiled down to me only working 13 hours a week on average in that 4 years. Now that's got to be better than a basic 37.5 working for someone else and to be frank, it's about 5 hours more than I planned....seriously!!.....lol ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

I have a gardener friend who manages to pull that off but it's not and never has been an option for me in this line of business. I don't think people would appreciate me telling them that I'd done my quota of work for the day, so I wasn't prepared to send them the nitrous system they'd been saving for all year and were desperate to fit and run on their car at the next Drag race. Similarly my agents would soon cease to be agents if I failed to deliver their requirements when they wanted them.

Having said all that, I have made life harder for myself, because if I hadn't continually been striving for perfection with my product designs, I'd have made a HUGE fortune by now and been retired long ago but as it is I'm tied by my own ambitions to achieve the ULTIMATE nitrous system and see them delivering the goods on the quickest cars and bikes in the world.

If/when I achieve that, I may die a worn out man but at least I'll die with the satisfaction of knowing, that I achieved what I set out to do, almost 35 years ago and I'll be VERY HAPPY about it. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:01 pm 

Hi :)

A wise man once said abiut being self employed...

........................................................................................................................................................

During the first year YOU have to pay for both the business and your own outgoings....

During the second year, the business "should" pay for itself and you still pay your own outgoings....

During the third year, the business "should" pay for both itself and your outgoings......

..........................................................................................................................................................

I agree with the above having run various businesses over the years.... what it basically means is do not plan on making a profit until year 3.....

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

In my case you could almost put a zero on the end of those figures. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 pm 
Learner

Exactly my point, we all have different types of businesses so self employment is different for us all. I turned a profit from day one as I supply a service with nigh on zero outgoings for it from the start apart from a new PC etc. The biggest outgoing (in size) for me was an A0 plotter, these can retail from £1500 up to 10 times that but I was extremely lucky in I bought one from an auction for the princely sum of £25!!! Obviously don't think anyone else there at the time was in the same business as me and/or were simply looking for domestic items so it was a case of right place, right time :yes:
Funny thing was though, a guy bought paper for one at £40 a roll which was more than the plotter AND more than you pay from a good stationary supplier!!...some of the people who go to them type of auctions have no idea whatsoever....lol. :beatstick:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Admin

yippeekiay wrote:
Exactly my point, we all have different types of businesses so self employment is different for us all. I turned a profit from day one as I supply a service with nigh on zero outgoings for it from the start apart from a new PC etc. The biggest outgoing (in size) for me was an A0 plotter, these can retail from £1500 up to 10 times that but I was extremely lucky in I bought one from an auction for the princely sum of £25!!! Obviously don't think anyone else there at the time was in the same business as me and/or were simply looking for domestic items so it was a case of right place, right time :yes:
Funny thing was though, a guy bought paper for one at £40 a roll which was more than the plotter AND more than you pay from a good stationary supplier!!...some of the people who go to them type of auctions have no idea whatsoever....lol. :beatstick:

So what do you actually do?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 am 
Learner

Anyone who knows me would say very little....lol.

My official title is design engineer, but I just like to say I draw things as I can't be done with snazzy titles unless I'm increasing my rates in which case it helps...lol. Mostly structural or architectural, the latter being my preference nowadays as they're more interesting when solving design issues, are onviously a lot more bespoke and a lot prettier when finished and in the public domain. I get a different kind of satisfaction seeing something that's designed to look good over functionality and despite they're lack of usefullness - in most cases - they are the things that get more recognition and give better opportunities for other work. I do other stuff when called upon but the above is my main business.

That's it in a nutshell.....I draw things....lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

I was VERY good at that kind of thing when I was at school (very high grades in art & Tech Drawing), it sounds like I took the wrong career route. :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm 
Wizard

i can just see you in the garden with an easel when you retire trev..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:56 pm 

teddybare wrote:
i can just see you in the garden with an easel when you retire trev..... :mrgreen:

Hi :)

I cant lolll...

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Not wishing to boast but I have soooooo many things I want to do when I retire (including writing & some outlandish art form), that I can't wait to get started.
Having said that, part of me still wants to keep at it here until there is NOTHING more that can be done to advance nitrous use any further.
Just wish I could clone myself and do both. :cry:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:24 pm 
Wizard

wish you could clone nitrous trev ..im starting to have alot of trouble getting fills near me now,my wirral supplier just ended his support for it a month ago and a few of the manchester supplies are taking the you know what with there new prices :( would love to have my own bottle to use but as you know thats just not cost affective when your only dragging it to tescos ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:27 pm 
Wizard

hey trev ive just noticed ive become a "wizard" for some reason ,does that mean huge discounts lol :mrgreen: