NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Mk4 Golf R32 Install... progress thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm 

I'm in the process of fitting a WoN system to my Mk4 Golf R32 and thought i'd post a pic of my current progress and my plans.

My goal is to have a very stealthy system that would be hard to spot unless you were clued up on Nitrous Systems or R32's, any Nylon lines run in the engine bay will be Sleeved with Black Heat/Flame Resistant Sleeving to help them go un-noticed.

So far i've got the Pulsoids mounted under the Scuttle Panel with a little bracket i made... not the prettiest, but it won't be in view (thankfully VW left the mounting point for the wiper mechanism on LHD cars there for me to use :lol: ). The outlet lines have been run to the engine bay through the firewall using grommets. Heres a pic with the scuttle panel trim removed...

Fuel feed has been tee'ed into the fuel supply line... whilst i was here i also checked the fuel pressure with a calibrated gauge, which measured 3.8bar without vacuum (4.0bar fuel pressure regulator, so about right).

I've also installed all the wiring to the Pulsoids & ECU (TPS and RPM) and run it behind the dash, i've mounted a subtle looking arm switch inside the car which brings in a relay (mounted in the factory relay plate) to energise the system, the supply was picked up from an empty fuse holder in the cars manufactured fitted fuse box.

I've made some custom bottle brackets and mounted them in the spare wheel well (as R32's don't have a spare anyway) and a 5LB bottle will easily fit under the carpet, for the stealth look! The nitrous supply line is run inside the car behind trim.

I have a nitrous pressure gauge ready to go on once i recieve my bottle from NitrousOxideSupplies... i also managed to mod a BS8 CO2 bottle fitting i found to take 1/8th BSP to 5mm Enots fitting, just need to work out where/how i'm going to mount and plumb in the gauge.

At the moment i'm making a Throttle Body Spacer plate with a M10x1 tapped hole in the side to mount a single Crossfire Injector... i'll provide pics of this when it's done.

I'll be using a straight 25bhp shot for initial setup of fueling and testing, then be upping to 50bhp if everything is ok... this will be on a MSD RPM Window & TPS Switch. Eventually i plan on upping to 75bhp or maybe even 100bhp on a Progressive System of some sort, as i'm confident the 3.2 VR6 engine can take it with ease!

This is the first time i've ever played with a Nitrous System, so i'm learning as i go on, i've been lingering on these forum's for a little while gathering bits of information, and as you can see this is my first post, so go easy on me!

Paul

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: My Mk4 Golf R32 Install... progress thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Looking OK so far. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:23 pm 

Got my bottle last week and dropped it in the mounts, and fitted my pressure gauge...

After faffing about coming up with an idea for a throttle body spacer to drop the crossfire injector in, i kept coming across clearance problems, and eventually i decided it wasn't worth the bother, as there was no real benifit anyway, so it got fitted to the intake pipe prior to the throttle body...

The MSD TPS/RPM switch i'm using gave me some issues at first...
I used the 0-5v TPS signal direct from the sensor, and the RPM signal that feeds from the ECU to the clocks.

First issue was with the system disabled, at about +50% throttle my car kept dropping into limp mode, with a 'EPC' light to follow... turned out the box was back feeding something even when powered off, to get around this i simply dropped a Diode into the TPS signal line with flow bias into the MSD Switch.. Problem Solved.

Next issue was that when i triggered the system (WOT & 3krpm+) it was pulsing it's output, and after some testing i realised it was the RPM signal causing this. I used an oscilloscope to monitor the signal which was nothing like the Square Wave i expected, the pulse was so short that the MSD box must of been missing them, so i had to switch to using a Ignition Coil Trigger... Problem Soved!

I also had a wierd experence with my static test, Redline is 7000rpm, so i set my RPM approx 2300 and energised the system, it smoothly reved to a smidge over 6000rpm paused for a moment and then continued to rev over 7000.
So i tried again with my start rpm at 2000, and on energising the system it hit just over 5000, paused briefly and continued to rev.... I decided this was lambda control taking over and leaning off the slightly rich mixture.

As it happens my car comes fitted with Wideband Pre-Cat Lambda Sensors as Standard (1.5v at 14.7:1), so i fired up the laptop and did a short run, whilst watching A/F's, and i was satisfied all was well.

Heres one of the logs i did, keep in mind 1.5v is 14.7:1 & 1v is Approx 13:1, you can see it go momenterally richer than usual as the system is energised, and then the ECU leans the mixture off very quickly.

I realise this is nothing but an average fitted system, but i'm very impressed with it... Only down side is i've got through 2x 5lb bottles in 3 days running 50bhp jets :-\ was fun though!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Great post, great results and excellent work in solving the problems. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:44 pm 
Learner

how long would you say a 5lb bottle will last with 50bhp jets

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:14 pm 
Learner

232chris232 wrote:
how long would you say a 5lb bottle will last with 50bhp jets

If I recall the copy of Trevor's book that I borrowed correctly then I think that worked out at around 4 minutes, but I don't have it to hand to check.

Anyone?

Owen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 pm 
Learner

thats sounds alot more than i thought.
i thought maybe a min or 2 at most

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm 

I worked it out to be around 2 minutes, and thats pretty much what i get.

I really need to get myself a big cylinder sorted now.... especially as my closest N2O supplier is an hour and a half away! :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:08 pm 
Learner

got my self a book of trevs now and it says 1:54 which is about what i am getting i had to send my bottles off at first to get filled by brett then luckly he found out about a guy 5 miles aways so i was happy :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:47 pm 

232chris232 wrote:
got my self a book of trevs now and it says 1:54 which is about what i am getting i had to send my bottles off at first to get filled by brett then luckly he found out about a guy 5 miles aways so i was happy :)

Hi Chris :)

Hope that filler near you works out...if not, you know where I am :)

All the best Brett :)