NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: BMW Z4 3.0I Install
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:59 pm 
Learner

I hope so cos he just paid £26k for it whereas my Z4 is worth about £5k tops, my 230bhp +75 shot Vs his 325bhp auto & I think his car weighs about 100kg more than the Z4. Wouldnt like to underestimate a Porsche tho?
Still I can always upgrade to DP!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:16 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
I hope so cos he just paid £26k for it whereas my Z4 is worth about £5k tops, my 230bhp +75 shot Vs his 325bhp auto & I think his car weighs about 100kg more than the Z4. Wouldnt like to underestimate a Porsche tho?
Still I can always upgrade to DP!

You'll have the torque advantage to get the jump on him and WoN's unique features actually improve output in the upper range: the longer its active, the higher the performance. The only time performance drops is if the cylinder drops below the half way mark where the pressure drop curve begins to ramp up, so keep that bottle as full as possible and you'll wipe em.

Remember, nitrous engines provide power throughout ALL rpm, and not just peaks like n/a engines. So if you can get the jump on the porsche, you'll have the advantage of either holding your position or pulling away.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:28 pm 
Learner

What a fun day albeit a little naughty if Mr Plod saw us! Well I can report back on the Z4 vs 911 duel.....

We didnt do any standing starts or drags or anything like that just drove around until we had a chance to blast off usually from 2nd gear and it was pretty much even I was up ahead but the 911 would never have got past me, my mate said he gave it absolutely everything to keep up but so was I? I was having a little problem with the traction control coming in even in 3rd gear so that may have held me back a bit. I did reduce the build time from 2 secs to 1 sec in 3rd to 6th, so maybe I need to turn it up again, also ran out of revs as Ive got the nitrous only on to 6000rpm and the car redlines to 6500, but this is probably splitting hairs.

My mate was well impressed with the effect of the Nitrous.

I'm currently looking at changing the diff from a 3.07 to a 3.64 ratio, there are a few threads out there saying what a brilliant upgrade it is for the 3.0 Z4 manual, only trouble is they can only generally be found on a 2.5I auto or 3.0SI auto and they are alot rarer to find in scrap yards in the UK, also the 3.0i auto has a 3.46 ratio so thats an option too but still fairly rare, just need some patience.

What an excellent day and we both returned alive!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:04 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
What a fun day albeit a little naughty if Mr Plod saw us! Well I can report back on the Z4 vs 911 duel.....

We didnt do any standing starts or drags or anything like that just drove around until we had a chance to blast off usually from 2nd gear and it was pretty much even I was up ahead but the 911 would never have got past me, my mate said he gave it absolutely everything to keep up but so was I?

As Dominic Toretto said "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile: winning's winning." :D

I was having a little problem with the traction control coming in even in 3rd gear so that may have held me back a bit.
That would hold you back A LOT actually, even if it steps in for a mere fraction of a second. You might want to find out how to disable it for such events.

I did reduce the build time from 2 secs to 1 sec in 3rd to 6th, so maybe I need to turn it up again, also ran out of revs as Ive got the nitrous only on to 6000rpm and the car redlines to 6500, but this is probably splitting hairs.
Another huge disadvantage! Only set the cut off point to only 100-200 rpm before the engine limiter kicks in. Or else, you'd have to change to the next gear just after nitrous cuts out to keep your torque output up, and BMW's LOVE rpm so it's not the most efficient route.

Just hope he doesn't get sneaky and one up you by installing a WoN system on his Porsche or else you're gonna be super screwed! :beatstick:

I'm currently looking at changing the diff from a 3.07 to a 3.64 ratio, there are a few threads out there saying what a brilliant upgrade it is for the 3.0 Z4 manual, only trouble is they can only generally be found on a 2.5I auto or 3.0SI auto and they are alot rarer to find in scrap yards in the UK, also the 3.0i auto has a 3.46 ratio so thats an option too but still fairly rare, just need some patience.
Generally, I oppose going up in gears like that for nitrous engines where they have the upper hand in developing massive low end torque. Usually,
the result is more difficulty getting traction and less time the engine is in lower rpm where the nitrous gives the most torque. As I mentioned prior, BMW's love to make power up top and if you couple the gears with a proper cut-off rpm, you should be able to increase acceleration quite a bit.
The problem you'd have is setting a slower build time (and possibly start %) on the Maxy because the traction problems will increase with the gearing.

:yes:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:20 pm 
Learner

Excellent 8) :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:40 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
bmwz4 wrote:

We didnt do any standing starts or drags or anything like that just drove around until we had a chance to blast off usually from 2nd gear and it was pretty much even I was up ahead but the 911 would never have got past me, my mate said he gave it absolutely everything to keep up but so was I?

As Dominic Toretto said "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile: winning's winning." :D

I was having a little problem with the traction control coming in even in 3rd gear so that may have held me back a bit.
That would hold you back A LOT actually, even if it steps in for a mere fraction of a second. You might want to find out how to disable it for such events.

Well I know how to disable it but Im just a bit scared to!

I did reduce the build time from 2 secs to 1 sec in 3rd to 6th, so maybe I need to turn it up again, also ran out of revs as Ive got the nitrous only on to 6000rpm and the car redlines to 6500, but this is probably splitting hairs.
Another huge disadvantage! Only set the cut off point to only 100-200 rpm before the engine limiter kicks in. Or else, you'd have to change to the next gear just after nitrous cuts out to keep your torque output up, and BMW's LOVE rpm so it's not the most efficient route.

Will do

Just hope he doesn't get sneaky and one up you by installing a WoN system on his Porsche or else you're gonna be super screwed! :beatstick:

Generally, I oppose going up in gears like that for nitrous engines where they have the upper hand in developing massive low end torque. Usually,
the result is more difficulty getting traction and less time the engine is in lower rpm where the nitrous gives the most torque. As I mentioned prior, BMW's love to make power up top and if you couple the gears with a proper cut-off rpm, you should be able to increase acceleration quite a bit.
The problem you'd have is setting a slower build time (and possibly start %) on the Maxy because the traction problems will increase with the gearing.

True enough im probably getting greedy as quick as a 911 is not bad is it and with a few tweaks as above to improve things....still learning etc, even my buddy said he thought that going to DP would be too much power for the car and I tend to agree. The performance is fantastic as is and considering how theres quite a lot of talk about how the BMW's inlet configuration restricts performance, I couldnt agree with that,...its awesome and frightening at the same time

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
True enough im probably getting greedy as quick as a 911 is not bad is it and with a few tweaks as above to improve things....still learning etc, even my buddy said he thought that going to DP would be too much power for the car and I tend to agree.
To what regard? I think he just doesn't want you to be faster out of jealousy... :drunken:

The performance is fantastic as is and considering how theres quite a lot of talk about how the BMW's inlet configuration restricts performance, I couldnt agree with that,...its awesome and frightening at the same time.
Right now, you are pretty much in the sweet range where the intake manifold is still performing its function and airflow is improved by the action of injecting the nitrous. By switching to DP and elevating the nitrous flow, the airflow to the engine will further increase beyond the intake and butterfly valve norms with normal volumetric efficiency.
That is until the nitrous flow becomes so great that the intake manifold performance actually decreases and flow can actually begin to reverse (reversion), leaving the power being almost purely made by the nitrous mix. Of course, you'd have to be flowing LOTS of nitrous: much more than a standard engine can handle. You can learn more by searching for the Wizard's thread regarding the SSIS.

In short, the intake manifold has very little to do with the engine on nitrous where DP is concerned because the TB and plenum functions are bypassed, which is contrary to many common nitrous myths.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:42 pm 
Learner

So.... raised the rev limit to 6400 and actually read the manual for the car and switched off traction control, not quite as simple as is sounds as the BM's have DSC and DTC and you can have one or both off, but by just switching DSC off stops the ECU cutting power which is what I wanted, the DTC still allows for some slippage, which never happened anyway, result was even better than anticipated....Turbobox you were spot on about the revs, I was surprised how much more the car was giving after 6000rpm.

I also had my heavy son in law next to me too which I know makes a difference but the car felt quicker with him there than it did last time with just me

Ive got a fun video clip, taken on a private road of course, but cant yet work out how to compress it low enough to upload!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:55 pm 
Wizard

You can upload it to the wonderful world of YouTube. It's free and very good at uploading large video files!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 am 
Learner

Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZeHRsxlDmI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am 
Wizard

Ah, what a lovely song!

The car was surely moving out quite nicely! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:47 pm 
Learner

sounds real nice 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:42 am 
Learner

Thanks guys its a lot louder and screamier in real life :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:28 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
Thanks guys its a lot louder and screamier in real life :omgrofl:

i did some videos of my car last summer, and i was going faster than a speeding bullet... but when i got home and played back the footage, i was like ohh... it felt a lot faster than it looks on the video :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:27 am 
Wizard

It's always difficult to convey the "feeling" of fast in videos. There is always the group of people who claim that a car is slow in a video whether it has 200 hp or 600 hp. That's why I have to put some kind of reference to the difference in power is from nitrous off to nitrous on. It's such a challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 pm 
Learner

OK tis nearly the season to take the cover off the Z4 for some summer fun, except its still bloody raining outside, anyway have done a bit of work over the winter months, first was a change in diff, down from a 3.07 ratio to a 3.64 which equates to about an 18% change in final output ration. I have seen this mod recommend on the forums even on a car running forced induction, only had one test drive so far without nitrous but was very happy with the feel, I reckon on probably turning off nitrous for 1st gear and possible turning it down a bit in 2nd and maybe 3rd as I had seen the traction control light flicker before with the old diff ratio.
Second was just a bit of bling, I had an unexspected tax rebate so splashed out on a set of 19" 313 style wheels, a staggered set up 9" at the rear and 8" up front, standard was 8" allround, also a change in the offsets gives me an extra 20mm at the rear and 10mm on the front each side, which fills the arches up a little better. As soon as the rain stops I will be out to play.

Attachments:
20180220_153237.jpg
20180220_153237.jpg [ 428.14 KiB | Viewed 33527 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm 
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 am 
Learner

So, because of the lower gearing I programmed the Maxxy for no 1st gear activation, but when I went out for a play another day the nitrous was not activating properly which I thought maybe a problem with the microswitch as I realised I had to floor the gas a few times to get activation, then the penny dropped that the Maxxy thought I was in 1st gear when floored for the first time when I may have been in any of the other gears, thus have to floor it twice to activate. This messes up the settings I have input for specific gears, is there any way around this as at the moment I have reactivated the 1st gear settings to compensate?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:02 am 
Wizard

If I have a map with no first gear nitrous, I just tap the throttle twice also. The simpler method is to just load another memory file that has nitrous on the first trigger: just a few taps of the buttons and the map is loaded.

Otherwise, you'd have to add an extra button to advance to the next gear. There is mention of this in the Maxy operating instructions.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:45 pm 
Learner

Tapping the throttle twice is a pain, especially in 2nd, you lose some momentum, by loading another memory file do you mean just reactivating the setting for 1st gear like i have already done?

Without the max knowing exactly what gear im in it means I have to set all the power values the same in all gears, this wouldnt be a problem in a standing start drag race from 1st gear, which I dont do much.

There is a gear input I see on the max but not sure if the car has this facility there is no gear indicator on the dash like I have on the Skoda

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 am 
Wizard

The Maxy can hold up to 5 different mappings: you just load whichever one you want. There is no need to constantly adjust one map to suit all conditions.

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/k%20How%20 ... tings..pdf

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

The latest version of the Max software has the ability to 'know' what gear the car is in but it needs a suitable signal from either the gearbox or the ECU to do that.
If you can find a source of a Voltage output that varies with the gear changes to indicate what gear the car is in, you can connect that to the Max and it will then 'know' what gear settings to use.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:44 am 
Wizard

I almost recommended that route but I figured activating the first gear in a different memory file would be an quick fix for the time being. It is his summer only car ya know ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
I figured activating the first gear in a different memory file would be an quick fix for the time being.

I'm not sure what you mean by that or how you envisage that working, as you can't switch between memory files while the Max is in use, unless you've discovered something different during your experiments?

PS can you change the email add in your Forum settings, as we're seeing emails to you bouncing back to us. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:28 pm 
Learner

Im not aware of any signal I can take from to show the controller what gear i'm in from this car anyway I decided to set the power, build and delay times all the same for every gear and Im really happy with how thats working, anyway on to more good news please see below the results from a dyno session this morning which actually supassed my expectations.
Stock power and torque were spot on at 230.8hp with 217 ft-lbs toque, not bad for a 15 year old motor........and with the nitrous 75hp jets 306.4 hp with 310 ft-lbs torque, an increase of 75.6hp and 93 ft-lbs of torque.
If my math is correct thats a power increase of just under 33% and a torque increase of just under 43% :bow:

Attachments:
Z4 power run.jpg
Z4 power run.jpg [ 369.61 KiB | Viewed 32282 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next