NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: BMW Z4 3.0I Install
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm 
Wizard

Dave knows the Maxy in scrutinous detail and that's why I recommended chatting with him.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:02 pm 
Learner

I have just realised from Davids message that I have also not grounded the unused inputs marked with an asterisk on the connection diagram ( I blame the small print), so I will try the trigger load setting and the grounding of the unused inputs at the weekend weather permitting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 pm 
Learner

I have just done as David advised but disapointingly it did not cure my problem, rather irritating as the work involved and the fact that im missing out on a useful function of the maxxy, so it looks as if Im going to have to utilise a microswitch on the accelerator (gas) pedal, I know you have told me this is how you have yours set up, is there a wiring diagram? Not sure where to wire in the microswitch whilst still benefitting from the Maxxy's fuctions

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:03 pm 
Wizard

Using a microswitch isn't a big loss, so don't feel too bad about it. simply take the microswitch and have one terminal connect to 12+V and the other terminal to the R10 trigger wire and that's it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm 
Learner

Yes I can see that on the wiring schematic now, can i take the 12v out of the arming switch so it will be protected by the same fuse? Presumably this method of switching is low current due to the size of the R10 terminal and cable which can be utilised in it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:48 pm 
Wizard

You can do it that way. The trigger wire draws virtually nothing in current, it's only used to 'read' voltage to know when to activate the nitrous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:35 am 
Learner

Ive ordered a microswitch, so all the other benefits of the Maxxy will work its just the TPS bit which isnt used?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
Ive ordered a microswitch, so all the other benefits of the Maxxy will work its just the TPS bit which isnt used?

It will work just fine with the other features. The TPS gives the most accurate reading of where the throttle plate is for fly-by-wire engines, and it's especially useful for finicky cars with super sensitive traction control or limp mode systems that limit butterfly travel regardless of the throttle pedal position. However, BMW's love to be driven HARD so it's doubtful you'd ever run into an issue with the ecu closing the butterfly, which isn't a concern with WoN systems anyway, whereas it would on competitor junk systems.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:28 pm 
Learner

The sun is shining, wife has gone out with the mother in law, what could be better.....? Well continuing with my installation of course :P Microswitch fitted and wired in, the BMW throttle box set up is made for a microswitch set up, theres even a radius'd ridge on the back of the pedal to activate the switch. Set the rpm to zero and activated the switch, pulsoids buzzin away a good'un. Set the RPM to 2000 min and nothing so that part of the max is working great. What min RPM setting would you recommend
Attachment:
IMG_20170326_132134573.jpg
IMG_20170326_132134573.jpg [ 144.76 KiB | Viewed 21961 times ]

Ive definately broken the back of it now (i hope), I'm going to order myself a pressure transducer before i get the bottle filled, i've already installed the cabling for it and will probably fit a bottle heater at some stage too.

I know I've still got some work to do but whilst I get to that I have been playing with the power settings to get a feel for it, what baseline settings would you recommend I start with, eg power, build time and delay time for the 1st gear and then for the other 5 gears. Am i correct that the delay time setting for the 1st gear is to slightly delay the delivery of the nitrous to prevent an overly lean mixture and what sort of figure should I start with, bearing in mind the engine in question? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 am 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
The sun is shining, wife has gone out with the mother in law, what could be better.....? Well continuing with my installation of course :P Microswitch fitted and wired in, the BMW throttle box set up is made for a microswitch set up, theres even a radius'd ridge on the back of the pedal to activate the switch. Set the rpm to zero and activated the switch, pulsoids buzzin away a good'un. Set the RPM to 2000 min and nothing so that part of the max is working great.

Great news! In fact, I just asked about the trigger in your previous thread.

What min RPM setting would you recommend

It really depends on the car and what overall setup. In this case, I'd go right off idle in 1st gear with 50 bhp with the displacement and gearing of the Z4, especially if you're start power is less than 100%: the key is allowing the engine to freely accelerate. I whacked the juice on my 1.4 liter in first gear with 25 jets and 100% start power with good results.

Ive definately broken the back of it now (i hope), I'm going to order myself a pressure transducer before i get the bottle filled, i've already installed the cabling for it and will probably fit a bottle heater at some stage too.

:yes:

I know I've still got some work to do but whilst I get to that I have been playing with the power settings to get a feel for it, what baseline settings would you recommend I start with, eg power, build time and delay time for the 1st gear and then for the other 5 gears.

Keep it simple and start with 25 jets. Starting in this way allows for finding any hidden gremlins, allow you to adapt to using the system, and if you do happen to make a mistake, then the chances of damage occurring is minimal.

Keep start power at 100% throughout all gears and power points; build time can be set to the max; 0 delay, unless you have traction issues.

Am i correct that the delay time setting for the 1st gear is to slightly delay the delivery of the nitrous to prevent an overly lean mixture and what sort of figure should I start with, bearing in mind the engine in question? Thanks

That delay is for the overall activation of the system: it allows for vehicles with traction issues or weak drive train components to get rolling before adding more power. You need to go into the 'System' menu to access the nitrous/fuel delays. You can set it to the minimum to 100 milliseconds nitrous delay for 25 jets and for short pipe lengths. If you have long pipe lengths, then more delay may be needed once the power is stepped up.

Overall, the settings all depend on what you feel the car needs and how it responds. You have the ability to decide what you want it to do with the Max Extreme, you pretty much have god-like power at this point. You just have to learn to how to use your power 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm 
Learner

Bottle heater relay wired in, Nitrous transducer ordered, once that arrives it will be a quck wire up and then just need to get bottle filled before I start testing.
Attachment:
IMG_20170328_152259245.jpg
IMG_20170328_152259245.jpg [ 332.52 KiB | Viewed 21947 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:12 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
and then just need to get bottle filled before I start testing.

Time to start grinning :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:24 pm 
Wizard

:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:16 pm 
Learner

Transducer arrived this week and im picking up the filled bottle on Monday, just looking at my transducer and its slightly different from the nos manuals, on the max wiring diagram it shows a +12v R1 feeding the transducer, but the packing mine came in says 5v DC, so does that mean I need to use either R4 or R5 +6v to feed to it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:56 pm 
Wizard

It sounds like the 5v is the output of the sensor, instead of the input volts. It should be 12v power, ground (earth), and 0-5 v signal out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:42 pm 
Learner

Heres the label on the packet

Attachment:
20170408_213842.jpg
20170408_213842.jpg [ 308.46 KiB | Viewed 21905 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:22 pm 
Wizard

Yea I'm not sure about that one. Ask the highpower guys to see what you can use with it. The 6v outputs are not constant outputs, they're conditional so I don't think it would be good to use them for that purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:36 pm 
Learner

I've spoken to David about the transducer voltage and he's not sure either, he's going to look into it and get back to me. I was hoping to fit it today to start testing, I have rigged up a temperarary heating pad to run off of mains power and so wanted to see what pressure Im getting.

Anyway that hasnt stopped me, I looked up a nitrous temp pressure graph which told me I should be looking at about 88F for 950psi, which is what I heated the bottle up to, all the time measuring with my infra red thermostat gun, to do a static test. Now I must admit I was/am nervous. The Pulsoids came with a 50 nitrous and a 20 fuel jet which I thought should be a good starting point as from what ive read on the forum from other BMW owners are running at around 3:1 because of the high fuel pressure, so got the motor revving to 2000 rpm and hit the run sim button on the max.

The revs rose very quickly and were going to go into the red line had I not aborted before then, although it was slowing at the end. Im just going to let the bottle cool down a bit and then try another static test at around 73F which should equate to 800psi on the Nos. Ive just tried that and the revs are still very high, I aborted at the red line 6500rpm. I will probably try again tomorrow with the bottle temp at ambient which is only 15C at the moment. If everything is as it shoud be it looks as if my AF ratio is too weak, maybe my fuel pressure is lower than I thought. As a newbie im not sure how much a difference the pressur/temp will make. Definately a chemical smell from the exhaust fumes whilst testing, I presume that is the Nos and is normal?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:59 pm 
Wizard

There's a high likelihood that your fuel pressure is much lower at low engine loads. I bet if you check your fuel pressure physically, it'll jump up between hi and low pressure under WOT and cruise. It's quite tough to do the static test these day with modern fuel systems that have independent fuel pump maps. A 50:25 would still be right on the money on a standard 40 psi. but richer on 60 psi, so either way you won't break anything.

If you have the means, you can verify the fuel pressures with a gauge or a scanner tool.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:07 pm 
Learner

Its a 2003 car so not that modern, I might buy a gauge tester they are quite cheap and I'd rather be sure, according to another thread the fuel pressure for this car should be around 50psi but dont know if thats variable or not, but you reckon a 50 nitrous and 20 fuel should be OK, what about the different temps/pressures?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:13 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
Its a 2003 car so not that modern, I might buy a gauge tester they are quite cheap and I'd rather be sure, according to another thread the fuel pressure for this car should be around 50psi but dont know if thats variable or not, but you reckon a 50 nitrous and 20 fuel should be OK, what about the different temps/pressures?

You'll still be in the rich zone at 50psi. As long as the nitrous pressure is below 1100, then you wouldn't be in any danger zone.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:15 pm 
Wizard

Both of my vehicles have variable fuel pressure maps, it's still possible that is what may be your situation: a 35 psi idle that increases to the 50 psi.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:13 pm 
Learner

David just emailed to advise it would be fine to use one of the 6v outputs from the Max Extreme to power the transducer, I will do that tomorrow then I can be sure about the nitrous pressure, ive already set the pressure to 1000psi in the alarms menu.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
David just emailed to advise it would be fine to use one of the 6v outputs from the Max Extreme to power the transducer, I will do that tomorrow then I can be sure about the nitrous pressure, ive already set the pressure to 1000psi in the alarms menu.

1000 psi is a little low for an alarm: 1100 would be better. There isn't a huge flow difference between 900 and 1000.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:00 am 
Learner

Ive had a problem with the pressure transducer sealing properly and have come to the conclusion something is wrong with the parts I have been sent, please see the attached pictures, firstly I tried using the dowty seal supplied but it is very tight fit and won’t sit flat on the face of the transducer and secondly the transducer has too much thread on it for the supplied t piece and bottoms out before compressing the seal anyway. The T-piece has what loos like a tapered face inside for a olive to sit against, tried last night with some loctite 243 sealer but that didn’t work either

On the voltage matter below, I connected up the transducer as advised to the 6v output and it worked fine except with no pressure applied the max was reading 150PSI and I managed to reduce this to 20PSI with the calibration function on the max, this indicated to me that the transducer is reading too high because it is indeed designed to work with a 5v supply and not the 6v which is giving the high reading.

I have emailed David for some support
Attachment:
20170412_113506.jpg
20170412_113506.jpg [ 259.84 KiB | Viewed 21867 times ]
Attachment:
20170412_113156.jpg
20170412_113156.jpg [ 275.23 KiB | Viewed 21867 times ]

Last edited by bmwz4 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next