NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mustang GT 2004
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:14 am 
Wizard

Out with the old and in with the... old?

Okay, maybe not THAT old, but definitely more my taste.

This is a Ford Mustang 40th anniversary GT: it features a 4.6 V8, Rwd 5 speed, LSD diff, huge aftermarket, and nitrous potential!

Although this power train his looked down upon in the performance community, it's only a result of Ford being cheap and not putting the good stuff in their flagship muscle car. Of course once you add a few performance items, this engine begins to shine, more so on forced induction. These puppies can churn out very healthy power numbers with only a little bit of air from a blower and even on junk nitrous systems. When I was searching for a worthy WoN nitrous platform, this was the best I could find with a tiny bit of cash.

One main reason why I scored this puppy for dirt cheap (and relatively low mileage) was that it had a very common issue for all Ford 4.6 and 5.4 2v engines: a leaking intake manifold. It is such a common issue with no actual design revision from Ford, that I knew I could repair the problem quickly and inexpensively. However, the factory replacement would eventually fail again. This time, I performed my own modification that SHOULD prevent the manifold from cracking again or at least, delay it for much longer than it would normally.

With the Stang back up and running, there are only a few maintenance items remaining. However, I'm sill waiting on some parts so why not just get started and on giving it the Noscraft Nitrous treatment with some WoN goodness!

To begin, I benefitted from one of the MAJOR features of WoN systems: easy transference to another vehicle!

Attachment:
IMG_3185.JPG
IMG_3185.JPG [ 239.29 KiB | Viewed 40235 times ]

The donor car is my daily Chevy Sonic. It has a direct port system, but I swiped the Go-Quad crossfire in order to make the quick single point install on the Mustang. I need to block off the holes in the Sonic before converting to direct port on the Stang, also.

The Sonic was stripped of its power in fewer than 10 minutes! When I installed the system, I made sure that it was easily removed this quickly.

Attachment:
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG [ 313.59 KiB | Viewed 40235 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Mustang GT 2004
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:22 am 
Wizard

Attachment:
IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3182.JPG [ 215.67 KiB | Viewed 40234 times ]

It appeared to be bone stock with the exception of an aftermarket intake and muffler replacement: sounds great, but the piping size is stock. Full exhaust will need to be done in the future.

The new manifold is already PRE-DRILLED for lovely DIRECT PORT!

Attachment:
IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3181.JPG [ 261.51 KiB | Viewed 40234 times ]

I robbed the bottle brackets from the Lexus for now because I couldn't get access to remove the Sonic's cheapo bottle mount. I'm using U.S. 10 lb bottles because I have 3 of them. I'll upgrade the valves on them when I can.

Attachment:
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG [ 214.25 KiB | Viewed 40234 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 am 
Wizard

As usual, nothing to see with the exception of the arming switch (not visible with the door closed), and the Maxy is in the glove box as it was in the Sonic. No TPS nor Tach signal, yet; right now I'm using the microswitch on the TB. The skull shift knob was a cool add-on included with the purchase. 8)

Attachment:
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG [ 183.29 KiB | Viewed 40234 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG [ 153.93 KiB | Viewed 40234 times ]

I recycled as much as I could to make this project take shape as quickly as possible, which is why both pipes to the injector are BLUE. The Pulsoid mounting is to accommodate both SP and future DP without excessively long pipe lengths.

Mind you, I performed this transplant in a span of 4 hours. Unfortunately, the only exception from being operational is the lack of fuel take-off. In order to tap fuel, I need to use the compression tee for the plastic fuel feed line from the pump: there is NO SCHRADER or RUBBER PIPE to tap from. I did try the scrap yard to find an older rail to do so, but they all were a radically different fit and wouldn't work. So I will order some of those Tee's for this project and to add to inventory!

The goal on SP is 100 bhp increase, primarily because the intake manifold is SWOOPY with the airflow aiming downward to the plenum, then back upward 180* to enter the LOOOONG runners, which is why direct port is vital for higher increases without risking lean backfires from fuel drop-out.

Attachment:
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG [ 226.74 KiB | Viewed 40234 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 pm 
Learner

wow thats a cool Mustang :yes:

I know they are probably common place in the states, but over here in the u.k you dont see them often.

I will be watching carefully when you fit the compression fittings on your fuel line, A. because thats what i should of done and B. a lad on face book may be purchasing a WON kit for his fiesta (the same car as mine) on the strength of seeing my car/install on a ford fiesta page i posted on, and hes asked for my help fitting the kit to his car... although I will try and direct him to this forum first 8)

in the mean time i look forward to your further updates on the stang...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:44 pm 
Wizard

I didn't even realise the fittings existed until AFTER you had already done the deed; it's still a viable method, granted the tee is superior.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:47 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
I didn't even realise the fittings existed until AFTER you had already done the deed; it's still a viable method, granted the tee is superior.

Another thing i forgot to mention is, I had to replace my replacement rubber fuel hose a few weeks ago, as it had started perishing already... its not even been on the car 12 months yet.

I did a bit of internet research and people were saying its modern fuel that causes them to perish, but when i slit the affected pipe in half, the inside looked ok, no signs of perishing at all, it was perishing from the out side...

so that led me to believe that it must be heat making it happen, but i was a bit puzzled as to why part of the pipe which is at the front of the engine, not in a particularly hot place, had also perished... theres loads of pipes in the engine bay, for coolant etc... but none of these have started perishing even though they are 8 years old. :scratch:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:00 pm 
Wizard

perhaps you could procure a replacement at the scrapyard and then use the compression tee to cure the problem permanently. Be advised, yours truly just finished cleaning them out, so you'll have to wait until they're back in stock at WoN ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:30 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
perhaps you could procure a replacement at the scrapyard and then use the compression tee to cure the problem permanently. Be advised, yours truly just finished cleaning them out, so you'll have to wait until they're back in stock at WoN ;)

I did think about this... and the engine bay nylon line isnt available separate anywhere, its kinda melted onto the connectors, so not easy/possible to remove from even a scrap car. The only option would be to replace the whole fuel line from petrol tank to fuel rail.

so replacing a 3 ft piece of rubber hose every 9 months is the soft option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:12 am 
Wizard

It sounds like the quality of the hose you used is poor. Try a better hose like Goodyear Fuel Injection hose.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:16 pm 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
It sounds like the quality of the hose you used is poor. Try a better hose like Goodyear Fuel Injection hose.

I have gone for a length of all singing all dancing pipe this time, Bio diesel, Ethanol, Methanol, E85 proof DIN 73379 which wasnt cheap... £16.99p a metre, so i will see how long this one lasts.... :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:46 am 
Wizard

8)

Attachment:
tee.jpg
tee.jpg [ 114 KiB | Viewed 40195 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:14 am 
Learner

so thats what it looks like 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 am 
Learner

Whats the power output of the mustang before nitrous? I saw Jay leno on his show recently where they put a blower on a standard latest mustang, which I think is the same as the one we get here now in RHD, anyway took it up to around 750bhp and hit over 200mph

I forget the name of the tuner, but he appears to be renowned in the US

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:09 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
Whats the power output of the mustang before nitrous? I saw Jay leno on his show recently where they put a blower on a standard latest mustang, which I think is the same as the one we get here now in RHD, anyway took it up to around 750bhp and hit over 200mph

I forget the name of the tuner, but he appears to be renowned in the US

I saw that Jay Leno program too :P

And i bet that blower install cost a fair few thousand dollars, against 700 odd quid for a brand new WON nitrous kit.

I looked into having my Fiesta super charged at O.C Motorsport, and they quoted me £3200 for 50hp over stock... so god knows how much a blower on a V8 capable of that kinda extra power would cost ...

and plus the blower cant be easily taken off the car and simply fitted to your next vehicle like a nitrous kit can...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:24 pm 
Learner

The company is called Hennessy, looking on you tube he got quite a few cars doing doing 200+, to be fair if we had the bucks we'd probably buy one 70k dollars for the stang complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gDZFEC8Oc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
The company is called Hennessy, looking on you tube he got quite a few cars doing doing 200+, to be fair if we had the bucks we'd probably buy one 70k dollars for the stang complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6gDZFEC8Oc

There was a time in my past when even the low price of a nitrous kit would of been a dream :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:21 pm 
Wizard

Went for a fuel test on this heap and it has too much of a fuel pressure drop to run a mere 75 hit. It is a high mile/km vehicle, but not unreasonably high so I expected the fuel pump to be somewhat degraded. What makes it worse is that the standard pump is already fairly weak so that needs an upgrade anyway, but I have an amp booster that I can use in the mean time: I'll order up a pump ASAP.

BTW, The plugs in this car were probably originals and they were BAD with gaps of 0.065" on avg. New NGKs are installed and restored A LOT of this car's performance; definitely potential for a fun ride here. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:44 pm 
Learner

Just been looking at the spec for your Mustang, if im correct the performance figures is very close to my Z4, so will be very interesting to see the effect the nitrous has on each car, although the big V8 would probably have more potential, whats the most you will go for 100bhp, once you have the fueling sorted?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 am 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
Just been looking at the spec for your Mustang, if im correct the performance figures is very close to my Z4, so will be very interesting to see the effect the nitrous has on each car, although the big V8 would probably have more potential,

I would be pressed to believe that the mustang would be any quicker than the Z4 stock for stock, in fact I'd think the z4 would nose ahead a little. Each has its different attributes to performance, especially factors like gearing, powerband, and power to weight ratio. The mustang gearing isn't well oriented to pure acceleration, but more for cruising speeds. Luckily, nitrous can take advantage of tall gearing, whereas a comparable N/A car with gears can't. The N/A car will be restricted to a narrow RPM range and poor drivability, while the nitrous car maintains a wide RPM range keeps it's drivability as stock. Driving around with a largely geared rear axle on the highway would really suck.

whats the most you will go for 100bhp, once you have the fueling sorted?

At the moment, you can see that this system is a Single Point oriented type and this results in a massive disadvantage in regards to power levels. The intake design is a very poor candidate for such a system type because the airflow must make too many SHARP directional changes in a short span of time before it has to travel a loooooong way to reach the valves. Mainly, the airflow travels a sharp 90* DOWNWARD towards gravity, then IMMEDIATLY pull sharply again 180* UPWARD against gravity, and radius an additional 90* toward the head. This creates an EXTREMELY high probability of fuel drop out occurrence, which would result in a lean condition, or worse, a backfire.

You can probably search online the number of blown up intake manifolds on these engines. Mostly, the fault is that of the nitrous system itself (typically generic), but the fault is also on the car being unfit for high nitrous doses on single point applications, regardless of how well it's designed to do so.

If you haven't noticed already, I DID already set up the engine to accept a DIRECT PORT type nitrous system upgrade, which I intend to do. The result would be SAFE power increases of 125 bhp and more, until the limit of the nitrous system itself (currently the single 5mm supply pipe). With the SP, I am hesitant to try power levels of over 100 (at the most the 125): the SWOOPY nature of the intake manifold just makes me too nervous to push any farther than that.

One other limitation is the fuel pump. Granted, I have an 'upgraded' unit coming soon, except the total power increase will limit the overall power level to about 400 - 425 bhp. After that, it'll be time to upgrade further which requires additional mapping and I don't intend to do much of that. My vision is to use an additional fuel system for the nitrous that would allow the use of high octane fuels without the need to further mess with the factory setup. From that point, the limit of the nitrous system would peak me out (after upgrading the supply pipe) to about 450 bhp with room to get to the 550 - 600 bhp for the pistons and connecting rods.

It would take another step up to a 350 bhp nitrous setup to approach the piston/rod limit, but I hope to either install forged components, swap to a more modern and stronger block like the new mustangs (expensive swap to do right now), a more common GM LS/Vortec engine, OR swap to a strong JAP engine like the 2JZ, which is a cheaper alternative. From there, a killer REVO setup will be put into place for 500+ HP EXTRA on any engine combo I choose.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:46 pm 
Learner

A Jap engine in a Mustang... I bet that would go down well with all the American's who seem to have a hatred of all things Jap :D

has it been done before... a Rice-Stang ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
A Jap engine in a Mustang... I bet that would go down well with all the American's who seem to have a hatred of all things Jap :D

has it been done before... a Rice-Stang ?

Actually, the affinity for Jap stuff is a lot like the UK's now. There is definitely a huge following for it here and such swaps have been done before and were quite successful. I find that the Jap stuff has more care and consideration placed into their designs. The over-engineering results in small yet STRONG engines that can produce big power without replacing internal parts. Only in recent years have US manufacturers been following the JAP template. The problem is that all of the new US stuff is super expensive, while the JAP stuff from years past is much cheaper and still just as strong as today's manufactured performance engines.Besides, new mustangs now come with very stout 4 cylinder turbo engines producing well over 500 hp with turbo upgrades only and untouched long blocks. If that kind of strength existed with my current engine, I wouldn't be limited to 500 hp range with double the number of cyls. Still, I could snatch an N/A Toyota 2JZ stout enough for 800 bhp without touching anything inside, and all for cheap.

I have no affinity for any engine type or manufacturer; it's all about what's available for cheap and my experience level with it. And I have plenty of experience with the toyota JZ's as well as spare parts.

I've never owned for toughed a ford before this car, again I have no preference for any particular manufacturer. Except for Chrysler products, I've never had good luck with them in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 pm 
Learner

I think the Jap car makers gave most of the worlds car manufacturers a wake up call in the 70's and 80's, they certainly did in the UK. Otherwise we would still be driving around in Allegro's, Morris Marina's and Austin Maxi's mind you the Indians still survive with the Morris Oxford reincarnation from a 50's design!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 pm 
Learner

I think the other factor why we favour small robust 4 cylinder models in the uk is petrol prices, quite simply no one could afford to run an american v8 over here :lol:

the other thing is probably the size of our roads, quite narrow and twisty...

we had a small V8 over here which was an old Buick design, and fitted in top of the range Rover cars including the Range Rover, only 3500cc in its original guise and around 150hp, but it had bucket loads of torque... and was stretched to around 4800cc in its final guise.

plenty of people took them out of scrap yard Rovers and transplanted them into Fords and all kinds of makes of cars, a whole tuning industry was built on getting extra power out of the Rover V8.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 am 
Wizard

Pump arrived, going in tomorrow ;)

Attachment:
IMG_3262.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG [ 228.02 KiB | Viewed 40097 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:45 pm 
Wizard

Now I see why it's so difficult to get good nitrous performance out of these cars when stock: they're tricky fuel system-wise. Even with the new pump, the fuel pressure falls when the fuel Pulsoid opens. I suspect a mapping adjustment is required to get the pump to flow more fuel. The max I'll go right now is 100 hp because it is the lowest fuel pressure I'd risk on the car. Any more jetting than that and the fuel will be in the danger zone where it'll lean out and hurt something. The only other alternative is to use a separate fuel system so that the factory ecu can remain.