NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Having troble setting up the Max Extreme for gear shifts
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:39 pm 
Wizard

Hi Trev
I've got A Max controller and I'm having trouble understanding the instructions. I have set a basic power ramp of 40% start to 100% full power in 1.5 seconds. But it does it everytime the throttle microswitch operates. When the contoller powers up I get the "ready" alongside the info that says "1st gear off" ?

How do I activate the ramp settings for each gear? I want to ignore 1st gear and possibly 2nd gear. I have programmed a power ramp for each gear but I cant seem to find how to make it work?

Regards
Perry

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Having troble setting up the Max Extreme for gear shifts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure I understand you right but to skip the first gear or two you just need to set the power levels etc in those gears to zero and set the gears you want it activated in to whatever levels you want.
There are a number of options as to how the Max will then step through the gear programs and you need to select the one that suits you best.
I'm guessing that our RPM drop feature would be best for you with an auto box as that way every time the Max sees the rpm drop as it changes gear, it will change to the next gear map.
Failing that you could use the auto time increment but you'd have to choose settings to match the build time closely to the time you spend in each gear, to get the changes to occur when you want them to.

If that hasn't provided the info you need, please call the office on Monday and speak to Dave.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:33 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Not sure I understand you right but to skip the first gear or two you just need to set the power levels etc in those gears to zero and set the gears you want it activated in to whatever levels you want.
There are a number of options as to how the Max will then step through the gear programs and you need to select the one that suits you best.
I'm guessing that our RPM drop feature would be best for you with an auto box as that way every time the Max sees the rpm drop as it changes gear, it will change to the next gear map.
Failing that you could use the auto time increment but you'd have to choose settings to match the build time closely to the time you spend in each gear, to get the changes to occur when you want them to.

If that hasn't provided the info you need, please call the office on Monday and speak to Dave.

Thanks Trev!

I'll have a go tomorrow at the Pod. This isnt for the MGB. Its for a mates Mini with a Rover 4.6 and manual tranny with RWD.
Perry

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:11 pm 
Wizard

I did some fiddling with the gear shift power settings for 1st and 2nd by taking them all to zero. I set the rpm start to zero as well so I could test with the engine off. I set 3rd 4th and 5th gears to the same power ramps. And when i activated the switch nothing flowed until the 5th activation? Then I realised that there is a 1 second gear shift reset so quickly flicking the microswitch may not have worked DOH!! By this time we were almost at the front of the queue to race so I quickly set 1st and 2nd gears to 50% start with a 1.3 second build to the full 100hp shot and left the other gear settings where they were?

The result was pleasing I would say :)

A 1.5 second 60 foot an an 11.7 for the Mini Van with the controller not properly set. Mick hot lapped and came back for more so I tweaked 3rd gear to the same as 1st and 2nd and then set 4th gear for an 80% start with a 1 second build. The run was awsome but as he hit 4th gear it ran for about 2 seconds and then we could hear the revs climb as the clutch started to slip :) So its slipping the clutch now. So what! It means that the power is coming in ok !!

Mick thinks it may be the slave cylinder adjuster rod which comes loose and unscrews to make it longer as it has done this before. If not he will need to fit a better clutch if he wants to go quicker at Retro Show in a months time ;)

This was our first test run with an 80 shot with all gears set to 50% start and a 1.4 second build time :)
I'm still waiting for Mick to upload the 11.7 vid to Youtube ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQ99tloeKw

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear you're making some progress but one thing to keep in mind, is that the Pulsoids 'might' not pulse at 80% to 100%, so if you want to ease the power in at the start of 4th gear you should select a lower percentage.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:22 pm 
Wizard

Thanks Trev! I'll bear that in mind for the next outing and soften the 4th gear hit a little. I'm not sure if this link will work but give it a try ?

https://www.facebook.com/mick.veightman?pnref=story

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

That's an unusual looking car. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
That's an unusual looking car. :yes:

It used to be white with some Union Jack motif's and it had a big Bulldog on the rear door. Then Micks Son asked if his mate who does graffitti art for a living could do a number on the paint job. This lad decorates night clubs and does all sorts of signs etc. Mick gave him some advice on the theme of Alien vs Predator and took all the vinyls off and flatted the paintwork. Mick told thre boy that the gizmo on the predators arm should look like a christmas tree at the track. That was his only porper instruction about the design.

The lad turned up with a big bag of rattle cans ?? 9 hours later the Mini looked like that :) The lad charged him £300 quid and then Mick got a local paint shop to put some laquer on. Job done with a custom paint job for £500 all in RESULT !!

I have to take my hat off to the lad because he has a great skill I think. This is why we call in The Predator MiniVan :)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)