NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Black Widow Spider Plate facts and features
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:59 am 
Site Admin

The Black Widow Spider plate is the most advanced and unique carb plate ever invented, offering all of the advantages of any conventional plate and the advantages of a Direct Port (Fogger type) system, without the disadvantages of either.

The Black Widow Spider plate features;
• The most advanced technology ever applied to a plate design. This incredible design not only looks impressive but more importantly it will produce outstanding results on all V8 vehicle applications.
• A massive 700 HP flow capability with dual 350 HP nitrous and fuel Pulsoids.
• An even more impressive 1,000 HP version available to special order.
• CNC Billet alloy construction with stainless steel fittings.
• Optimised flow path through the Spider to minimise loss of density.
• Perfect distribution to all cylinders.
• Uniquely shaped discharge tubes (legs), which when combined with its unique flow path, ensure minimum phase change and maximum nitrous density arriving in the combustion chamber. These result in the best performance gains from the least amount of nitrous.
• Discharge tubes manufactured from malleable brass, which can be individually contoured to optimise the point of injection to suit different inlet manifold designs.
• The design is so flexible that it can be supplied to suit a vast range of applications, although we currently only have them available for Holley type 4150 and 4500 carbs.
• Direct nitrous and fuel feeds to each runner to maximise runner/cylinder filling efficiency.
• The unique ability to be jetted at each discharge tube, which means tuning per cylinder is possible, in much the same way as a direct port (Fogger type) system.
• No obstruction caused by conventional spray bars as used by most other plates.

The following is a list of advantages the Black Widow Spider has over other plates;

• SUPERCHARGING of the intake runners due to discharge tube location.
• REDUCED fuel drop out and loss of nitrous density due to ZERO CONTACT with the body of the manifold
• PERFECTLY EVEN distribution to all cylinders, making it unnecessary to 'tune' individual cylinders.
• UNDISTURBED N/A flow to engine, allowing the engine to run EVENLY as it should!!
• INDIVIDUAL cylinder jetting should the manifold in use cause any uneven distribution.
• DIRECTIONAL discharge which can be adjusted to optimise the exact point of injection relative to the port.
• MAXIMUM liquid nitrous density delivery.
• MINIMUM flow losses.
• MAJORITY of pipe work inside the manifold results in the cooling effect of the nitrous flowing through the distribution network cooling the intake charge.
• DISCHARGE TIP design reduces phase change and turbulence, delivering a denser charge.
• ANTI-FUEL FREEZING and better atomisation due to the location of the fuel outlet relative to the nitrous discharge tip.
• NO OBSTRUCTION to airflow caused by conventional spray bar type plates.

The following list is of the advantages the Black Widow Spider has over direct port systems;
• ANTI-REVERSION discharge tube location due to the nitrous plume starting further back from the inlet valve.
• SUPERCHARGING of the intake runners due to discharge tube location.
• MUCH SHORTER pipe work of equal length to all cylinders resulting in higher flow capability and more instant engine response.
• DIRECTIONAL discharge which can be adjusted to optimise the exact point of injection relative to the port.
• MAXIMUM liquid nitrous density delivery.
• MINIMUM flow losses.
• MAJORITY of pipe work inside the manifold results in the cooling effect of the nitrous flowing through the distribution network cooling the intake charge, rather than wasted to the external air.
• DISCHARGE TIP design reduces phase change and turbulence, delivering a denser charge.
• ANTI-FUEL FREEZING and better atomisation due to the location of the fuel outlet relative to the nitrous discharge tip.
• NO OBSTRUCTION to port airflow.

Anyone wanting to see the history of the development of the Spider plate can find that here;

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3972

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 am 
Site Admin

I just read this response that was made by a 'smart' guy after seeing the Spider plate for the first time;

"Get ready to be scared of them fords, they'll fill the corners now!!!!!"

Now I have little knowledge of the differences between one make of engine/manifold and any other, but my guess from this comment means that the Spider will perform even better than I intended on certain models, because I can imagine the point he's making is that conventional plates only feed the centre runners because the outlet drillings from the spray bars aim at those and not the runners at each end.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a response I recieved from an independent guy after his first look at the Spider;

"Your new plate looks wild, lol. I don't see why it wouldn't work just killer!! I have tried Speedtech's Diffusior on my hot rod. It cured the poor distribution to the #8 cylinder in my case.

I do like the "lowering block" you used on your "shower head". It looks to me like you have built an "internal fogger" with a 5 min install, that's pretty cool.
joe"

It's a shame that not everyone is so perceptive. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

jim sciortino wrote:
trev, is there an optimum distance from the manifold floor to the nozzle outlets of the spider or is that not important.
It's not so much to do with the distance from the manifold floor, more a matter of the nitrous nozzle position relative to the runner height, although in some instance they will be one and the same measurement. The important thing is to have the nitrous plume enter the runner central to its height and width for the following reasons;
1) to achieve optimum runner filling
2) to minimise reversion
3) to minimise the nitrous impinging on the runner wall, creating unwanted turbulence

The main method of optimising the position of the nitrous nozzle will be carried out in house, prior to despatch of the Spider. Whenever possible we will supply the Spider to match the dimensions of a customers manifold, however as you will see in the pictures that follow, it is also possible for the customer to optimise the injection point by contouring the Spider legs to exactly suit their manifold.

Also, are the nozzle's(legs) standard in length or do they vary depending on manifold configuration.
For ease of installation and to ensure the Spider was capable of fitting a wide range of manifolds, we made this first batch with relatively sort legs but ultimately we intend to offer a range of leg lengths to suit different applications. Having said that, we still have more testing to do and I believe it may turn out that there are some benefits to using legs of this length, in which case we’ll stick to what we have.

We’re constantly rethinking, redesigning and retesting ALL our products in the search for further performance gains, so don’t be surprised to see more changes in the future. Quite often the production and test results of a new component, lead to a chain reaction of thoughts that then leads to even more radical designs.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Now this is what the Spider looks like when jets are fitted.

The smallest plume is fitted with JUST a 25 hp metering jet and each outlet clockwise from that is fitted with jets increasing in 25 hp steps - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100 - 125 - 150 - 175 and the final outlet has no jet.
Now this totals much more (approx 1,000hp) than the plate is designed to flow (700) yet the plumes are still extremely dense but they'd be even more dense if the combined output area did not exceed the input area.

Once again the difference in flow & density between these plumes and US plates is so obvious that even a blind man could see them.

Even the plume from the most restricted discharge tube is narrow, long and therefore high speed and DENSE compared to US plates.

Now some of the difference between the density of the plumes will be due to the losses in the supply system used to feed US plates but that's ALL part of my main point, that it's crucial when aiming to achieve optimum results from nitrous, that ALL nitrous components are designed with the following criteria in mind;

1) Minimise internal flow restrictions
2) Minimise internal turbulence
3) Minimise phase change due to changes in cross sectional area
4) Maximise flow speed

ONLY WON offer ALL components designed with all the above in mind and that's why you see such a difference between the plumes from the Spider and any other discharge system.

Nobody using generic solenoids will ever achieve optimum results from any plate design or any nozzle because the flow through a generic solenoid is so bad.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone who still doesn't appreciate the IMPORTANCE of the Spider plumes should read this thread;

http://www.forum.nitrous-advice.com/vie ... html#27588

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:35 am 
Learner

I think it deffinatly needs a clear manifold its far to nice to be hidden and it was so easy to put together.