NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: BMW M3 DP install
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:29 pm 
Learner

Trev,

I have enjoyed reading everyones post on various direct ports, methanol setups etc. I was directed to this website from Rito and have followed his thread on another forum.

I currently have a E46 M3 and I am wanting to switch from a single wet fogger to direct port set up with methanol. I have 6 TB's with 6 individual runners in the air box ( I know a lot of people know this). I would prefer a nice set up, similar to Rito's, however with space constraints under the hood, will have to be configured a little differently.

I am wanting to go to maybe a 300 shot (100shot from each solenoid) with methanol. What is the best way to achieve these requirements?

Thanks again.

Shawn

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: DP install on M3
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:35 am 
Site Admin

ocdm3 wrote:
Trev,

I have enjoyed reading everyones post on various direct ports, methanol setups etc.
I'm very pleased to hear it and welcome to my forum.

I was directed to this website from Rito and have followed his thread on another forum.
Rito is a very good guy and we're all looking forward to seeing his final creation.

I currently have a E46 M3 and I am wanting to switch from a single wet fogger to direct port set up with methanol. I have 6 TB's with 6 individual runners in the air box ( I know a lot of people know this).
That's a very wise move as single point systems on that engine layout are only capable of modest results even if it's one of our systems.

I would prefer a nice set up, similar to Rito's, however with space constraints under the hood, will have to be configured a little differently.
I'm sure we'll be able to work something out to suit your requirements, so could you send us some pics to make sure we have the same model over here, then I can determine what space is available and where best to mount the components.

I am wanting to go to maybe a 300 shot (100shot from each solenoid) with methanol. What is the best way to achieve these requirements?
That sounds fine to me and a similar system to those dealt with on the following thread would be the way to go. However you might like to consider using E85 instead of methanol as there are a number of advantages to doing so.
http://www.technical-forum.com/nitrous- ... rt,25.html

Thanks again.
Pleasure.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:56 am 
Learner

Thanks for the quick email.

I currently run 150 shot through my K&N 69, just right after the MAF, however, it was very hard to reach ideal distribution through out all cylinders.

I have most of the supporting mods, Euro Headers, tuned from a speciality tuner (not speciality here, but you know what I mean), but just shy of a new clutch.

I am trying to figure out how to upload the pictures

Here is the air box from the BMW website.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=11&fg=40

I read that previous thread, however, how would E85 help? Would a 50 Meth/ 50 water mixture from Snow Performance not be ideal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:29 am 
Site Admin

I see what you mean about limited space, although the front 4 cylinders look to be OK on that score.

I'll need more pics or better still I'd better see if I can find one of these locally but for now I'm off to Malta for just over a week, so I won't be able to do anything further till I return.

Back to you ASAP.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:17 pm 
Learner

No problem--I just have to figure out how to increase the picture size. Is there an alternative email address? That way I can send 9 or 10 pictures to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:10 am 
Learner

Just sent a lot of pictures with measurements, and if Trev needs more with different measurements, he can send me via my email.

I can even go a step further and send him the air collector.

Shawn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:29 am 
Learner

Awesome!

I can't wait to see what Trev cooks up for you.

The best part is, you have a ton of technical support here when you start to tune it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

ocdm3 wrote:
Trev,

If you need pictures of any kind, heck if you need the air collector (air box) I'll send you one. Then we can work off of height restrictions becuase of the cabin filter.
I'd be better with pics of the full car itself now, to see if I can locate the exact model locally, as it's always better to actually have the vehicle in front of me.
I've got some initial ideas of how to work this out for you, so we're up and running already.

If you need money, let me know as well.
No need to part with your cash at this stage, we'll make sure we can offer you a suitable system that you're happy with before you need to do that. ;)

I am in Aruba for a couple of days to finalize a vacation home, but will be back in 4 days. I hope I don't have your landing experience.
Well I certainly wouldn't wish the landing we had on anyone but my worst enemies, so I hope you have a good one.

Shawn

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 pm 
Wizard

This site seems to have some nice info on the stock plenum.
http://e46m3performance.com/tech/airbox/index.htm

No real use for fitting but does a good job of pointing out it's short comings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 pm 
Wizard

Trev,
I am not sure if this will help but below is a few photos of the E46 engine. They are various setups so hopefully you will get and idea from the photos of what will actually work.

Rito

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Me ... toId=41608

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto ... to_08.html

http://www.worldcarfans.com/7060418.001 ... e46-bmw-m3

http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicl ... to_04.html

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for those Rito (BTW how long before you're using nitrous again?)

Now if it was like this pic;
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto ... to_08.html

we'd have no trouble fitting the system but unfortunately it's like this;
http://www.eurotuner.com/featuredvehicl ... to_04.html

with the back 2 cylinder tucked under the body work!!!

Your last link almost did it!!!

What I need is close up shots of pics 5 & 6 like pic 7 is of the other side.
If he taken pics of the front, back and induction side, the same as he has of the exhaust side, then that would have been PERFECT!!!!

Would you mind asking him if he took the close up pics I need and if so would he mind sending them to me please?

Thanks again.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:55 pm 
Wizard

No problem. i also can start a thread on the bmw forum with the same car asking for someone to post these photos to give you an idea on how you can set it up.
One thing that might be helpful but will be up to the owner. If he removed that plastic covering that's located where you mention it might just do the trick. most people whom start moding their car that I seen usually removes this anyway. But again this is up to the owner.

As for me using nitrous. I never really stopped. I am putting in a new motor which I had custom built. Forged rods and pistons with lower compression and custom ported and polished head with supertech valve springs and titanium retainers. Motor is done and shipped to BMW shop which today they start the engine swap. Nitrous going back on and turbo is in place. After we are done there it's off for a complete tune. Nitrous and turbo will be used.
I will start another thread all about it but just wanted to give you an update since you asked.

Rito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that Rito and thanks also for the update on your project, I'll look forward to hearing all about it and hearing what results you achieve.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:01 am 
Learner

The space under the air box will be really difficult. Every intake stack has something under it (starter, various other components). So it would be a complete pain to figure out the space under there.

I would rather keep the cabin air filter box in tact.

I am thinking out loud, but what if I can epoxy the pulsoids to the side of the air box where the j boot connects too? This way we can route the lines up and down (90 degree) to the individual throttle bodies and use any Y block that you recommend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:08 am 
Wizard

Here is an idea for you and Trev correct me if it can not be done. What i would suggest ccould work but it's up to the owner which it is basically the same thing OCDM3 said but using brackes. I don't know how thick the intake manifold would be but if you could tap the manifolds using brackes toward the driver side placing the pulsoids directly center from the drive side facing the injectors and run the nylon lines at angles but as straight like as possible. Since the cross fire injectors have to be tapped you could remove the air ducts temperaryly to do this and replace them once install is done. There should be just enough space to run the crossfire injectors with nylon lines right under the thing. The plumbing would still be under 12 inches is sorted correctly. If i had auto cad I could do it for you to give you an idea but i don't LOL.
Trev have your guy draw this up and see how it looks. I believe it will still be as effient but I am not the expert Trev you are. Let me know what you think.

Rito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:42 am 
Learner

Trev,

From my experience removing one of these intakes, there isn't enough room under the manifold for pulsoids. They have literally formed the plenum against the block and ancileries like the electronic throttle actuator.(Drive by wire mechanism)

This is a tough package to work on space wise....

There is the MZ3, and MZ4 that use this engine, but the space in the engine bay is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:49 am 
Wizard

Trev,
I also found this of the engine bay with everything removed. Photos are starting on post #35

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... 609&page=2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:29 pm 
Learner

Thanks folks for helping out! Rito, this the same picture I sent to Trevor via email :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:28 pm 
Wizard

LOL, Seems we are thinking the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:55 am 
Learner

this is how you guys saying right? sorry for the paint drawing im not good on paint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15 am 
Wizard

Trev,
I have been looking closer at the M3 setup with 6 TB injectors and it would appear to me this is technically not a Direct port setup. I say this because of the locations of the injectors and TB. On conventional Direct port usually the plumbing is behind the TB or carburator which this type setup is kind of tricky since it would still be dependent on the TB opening like a single injection would. Tell me your thoughts because this have been on my mine after looking closer at the setup.
I still believe having it plumbed in the intake manifold close to the TB would be idle either way.

Rito

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:24 am 
Learner

Can you guys tell me if this holds true about nitrous tanks. Which fuel pump would be ideal for my set up?

typical engine uses 0.5 pounds of fuel (gasoline) per hour to make each horsepower. Gasoline weighs in at approximately 6 pounds per gallon. To calculate fuel consumption let me show you by example. Lets say we have a 400 HP engine (or nitrous system) and we will use the following formula:

400 HP X 0.5__ X 1 gal = 33 GPH
HP per hour 6 lb.
If you installed a pump rated at 33 GPH on a 400 HP Nitrous system the engine would experience severe fuel starvation and your wallet would cringe in "empty" pain! WHY?

There are several reasons ... However, the main reason is the way that pumps are rated. Fuel pumps are rated at "zero" pressure (also known as "free flow"). Rating a pump at zero pressure is useless because the pump will never be at zero pressure when it is operating in the vehicle. As fuel pressure increases, the fuel pump slows down and fuel output is reduced. If you use a standard "dead-head" type regulator, the pump may be forced to produce as much as 25 PSI. At 25 PSI, the actual output GPH of the pump is much less than at "free flow".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 am 
Wizard

You have lost me on this one.
Anyway you can upgrade your fuel pump to a walbro and it should be fine. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:21 am 
Learner

ocdm3 wrote:
Can you guys tell me if this holds true about nitrous tanks. Which fuel pump would be ideal for my set up?

typical engine uses 0.5 pounds of fuel (gasoline) per hour to make each horsepower. Gasoline weighs in at approximately 6 pounds per gallon. To calculate fuel consumption let me show you by example. Lets say we have a 400 HP engine (or nitrous system) and we will use the following formula:

400 HP X 0.5__ X 1 gal = 33 GPH
HP per hour 6 lb.
If you installed a pump rated at 33 GPH on a 400 HP Nitrous system the engine would experience severe fuel starvation and your wallet would cringe in "empty" pain! WHY?

There are several reasons ... However, the main reason is the way that pumps are rated. Fuel pumps are rated at "zero" pressure (also known as "free flow"). Rating a pump at zero pressure is useless because the pump will never be at zero pressure when it is operating in the vehicle. As fuel pressure increases, the fuel pump slows down and fuel output is reduced. If you use a standard "dead-head" type regulator, the pump may be forced to produce as much as 25 PSI. At 25 PSI, the actual output GPH of the pump is much less than at "free flow".

You are correct with your statement.

The good news is that quality pumps will have a more realistic output curve, which is a good place to start. What also needs to be considered, is that the pump is just 1 component in system, and each component has an effect on flow. For example, the pickup tube and type of filter used before the pump will affect flow, as well as the hose and filtration after the pump. Fittings, distribution blocks, bends in hose, and gravity will also effect flow.

The best thing you can do is flow test the assembled system as it will be used on the car.

As for your choice of pump, I'm sure a few others will have a more informed choice that I, my experience is mostly with Walbro 255L/hr pumps which work fine, but you need to keep a spare around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:55 pm 
Site Admin

Right guys here's what you've been waiting for and after considering all the possible options (of which there are very few that might work), we have settled on this arrangement.
It may look similar to the system we did for Rito but there are a number of factors that are different to accommodate the minimal clearance available over the back 2 cylinders.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next