NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Revo - The ULTIMATE nitrous concept
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:22 am 
Site Admin

That's right Mike and I do have those concerns BUT for the following reasons I've decided to give this route a try;
1) Some customers have had oustanding accuracy from it, so it must work when things are right or under certain circumstances
2) We hope to determine why there have been some anomolies and take steps to avoid them in future
3) One possible explanation for the anomolies is the the sensors are being sent too far off range (at some point) and don't recover in time
4) By having closed loop control, that should not be a problem, because it will instantly correct the instant the mixture goes off track by even the smallest degree.
5) Another possible cause of the problem is fouled sensors but once agin closed loop control will prevent this being due to excess richness on the part of the nitrous system.

We'll have to see how effective this is but in theory at least, it should deliver EVERYTHING that is missing from current nitrous technology.

Yet again WON lead the way with advances in nitrous technology. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:53 am 
Wizard

I have no doubt if there's a problem, you'll do your utmost to overcome it. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that vote of confidence and its well founded, because with the help of all those involved in all my projects (which includes some of my customers to a great extent), we find solutions to the many factors that would bring most other people to a standstill. 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:01 pm 
Wizard

I had been wondering why Trev had decided to go closed loop with wide band,considering Trev's aversion to wideband.So I decided to look at the reasons why Trev was getting such good results with the "pro" setups.

There had been suggestions of "supercharging" taking place due to the nitrous plume drawing air in with it.This pointed to some weird flow dynamics effect taking place so I thought I'd do some searching.

The "supercharging" would possibly be due to the "Coanda effect" Where in a free jet (of fluid.) entrains (draws in) the secondary fluid (that the jet is shot thru).
This effect is widely used in industry.

If this is what is happening,as engine speed increases and therefore gas speed,so could the supercharging effect,leading to a lean out,hence the requirement for closed loop control.

If this is what Trev has discovered I would suggest that He's about to render all previous (race) systems completely obselete. Best get your orders in!

If anyone had any doubts as to what a smart cookie :bow: Trevor is,here's an example of a man striving to understand every last little thing he can about the substance that he has spent 30 years (and counting) working with.

:cheers: Nige

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:05 pm 
Wizard

batty LOL his head will grow

were you looking at the Pro bike set ups when writing the above post , ive seen vids and heard comment on bike stuff and from one tuner hes never seen an enging suck so much nitrous , me i just like the pretty shape of the plume ;)

Tezz

as for wide band i think if ya take out user error and fitting error and varinaces in build quality , theroy seams sound , get that right with a closed loop 8) 8) , add in a revo , i dont fully understand it but i can see it 8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:34 pm 
Wizard

[quote][/were you looking at the Pro bike set ups when writing the above post , ive seen vids and heard comment on bike stuff and from one tuner hes never seen an enging suck so much nitrous , me i just like the pretty shape of the plume

quote]
Seen a bit of video,but also had a good look at paranoia,sweet jag 6,with 3 pairs of pulsoids.I think they're only just starting with the system but it sure looks impressive when it launches. The bell mouths disappear in a fog of nitrous. someone should fit a video camera on board.

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

battyone wrote:
I had been wondering why Trev had decided to go closed loop with wide band,considering Trev's aversion to wideband.
I wouldn't say I have an "aversion" to wideband use, I just have some doubts about the results that have been reported (and therefore the overall usefulness of wideband use) but hope to be able to achieve at least a higher degree of accuracy and reliability from "our" efforts in this line.

So I decided to look at the reasons why Trev was getting such good results with the "pro" setups.

There had been suggestions of "supercharging" taking place due to the nitrous plume drawing air in with it.This pointed to some weird flow dynamics effect taking place so I thought I'd do some searching.

The "supercharging" would possibly be due to the "Coanda effect" Where in a free jet (of fluid.) entrains (draws in) the secondary fluid (that the jet is shot thru).
Yes the "Coanda effect" is certainly involved but its not the only factor that contributes to the supercharging effect.

If this is what is happening,as engine speed increases and therefore gas speed,so could the supercharging effect,leading to a lean out,hence the requirement for closed loop control.
We don't expect to see lean conditions, as most modern vehicles use some method of monitoring air flow and act on that to maintain correct AF. The closed loop control is mainly to give us another level of accuracy and control to give us a further edge over the opposition. ;)

If this is what Trev has discovered I would suggest that He's about to render all previous (race) systems completely obselete. Best get your orders in!
The REVO alone will do that but these extra features should secure that. :)

If anyone had any doubts as to what a smart cookie :bow: Trevor is,here's an example of a man striving to understand every last little thing he can about the substance that he has spent 30 years (and counting) working with.
Still striving and still learning. :)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:32 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
battyone wrote:
I had been wondering why Trev had decided to go closed loop with wide band,considering Trev's aversion to wideband.
I wouldn't say I have an "aversion" to wideband use, I just have some doubts about the results that have been reported (and therefore the overall usefulness of wideband use) but hope to be able to achieve at least a higher degree of accuracy and reliability from "our" efforts in this line.
Were these doubts due to the "accuracy" of the sensors or the people using them? A lot of early "widebands" were no such thing just narrow band sensors with a gauge... and they cost more than you can buy a proper one for now

So I decided to look at the reasons why Trev was getting such good results with the "pro" setups.

Yes the "Coanda effect" is certainly involved but its not the only factor that contributes to the supercharging effect.
So come on Trev, tell us more! did you know "coanda" could be used to make a jet(of fluid)go round a corner

We don't expect to see lean conditions, as most modern vehicles use some method of monitoring air flow and act on that to maintain correct AF. The closed loop control is mainly to give us another level of accuracy and control to give us a further edge over the opposition. ;)
Isn't EFI open loop on WOT? therefore on a pre programmed map,so unable to self correct.Also in a race situation the air requirement's most likely measured thru throttle position and MAP sensors, do you have any idea how MAPs see nitrous?

The REVO alone will do that but these extra features should secure that. :)
You showed me a REVO when I was up,most impressive in it's self never mind what it can do

Still striving and still learning. :)

Nice to have you back.. been too quiet.

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:39 pm 
Learner

Re lean out when using pro systems, i could see this being a problem if you injected far from the main jet of a carb'd setup, but if you inject quite close to the main jet, you'll create a low pressure area above your main jet and draw more fuel. IMHO

lorenzo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Were these doubts due to the "accuracy" of the sensors or the people using them?
Both is possible but whatever the reason 'doubts' exist.

So come on Trev, tell us more! did you know "coanda" could be used to make a jet(of fluid)go round a corner
Yes we read up on the Coanda effect a couple of years ago to see how we could use it and/or how it might affect existing results. I've not found a name for the other principle involved so maybe I should call it the Langfield effect - lol

Isn't EFI open loop on WOT? therefore on a pre programmed map,so unable to self correct.Also in a race situation the air requirement's most likely measured thru throttle position and MAP sensors, do you have any idea how MAPs see nitrous?
Yes it is but I'm not talking about using the OEM arrangement, I'm talking about the Max Extreme controlling JUST the Revo (or the Pulsoids) and as nitrous is ONLY used at full throttle, with mainly constant sensor inputs I'm confident that such an arrangement will perform as intended.
It doesn't really matter what any of the other sensors see when nitrous is flowing, because the Max is only looking at the O2 sensor and adjusting the Revo/Pulsoids accordingly.

You showed me a REVO when I was up,most impressive in it's self never mind what it can do
Glad you liked it and with any luck you'll be seeing more out in the real world soon, assuming we can make time to build and test them quickly enough.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

gsf1371 wrote:
Re lean out when using pro systems, i could see this being a problem if you injected far from the main jet of a carb'd setup, but if you inject quite close to the main jet, you'll create a low pressure area above your main jet and draw more fuel. IMHO

lorenzo

We certainly don't seem to have any mixture problems with Dave's and we'll not be allowed to use the closed loop control on his due to class rules but we'll certainly be using it to set up the bike prior to any racing, just to make sure we achieve optimum results. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:50 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Were these doubts due to the "accuracy" of the sensors or the people using them?
Both is possible but whatever the reason 'doubts' exist.
I can't help theorising over this issue since learning about how these sensors work etc so I was hoping you'd have got to the bottom of it for us Trev, just to tell me if I'm on the right track or not but I guess I'll have to wait some more...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Its not as clear cut as we'd like because the reports and experiences we've had to date are so conflicting. :(

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject: Re: Revo - latest feature
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:43 am 

Hi Trev,

any update with this Revo feature? It would be awesome addition to the Max Extreme controller :) :yes:

have you tried using the Innovate LC-1 sensor? From what I know, the LM-1 and LC-1 has the same sensor. Would be awesome if I can use LC-1 sensor :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm 
Wizard

spot on berdugo, both innovote systems use the same bosch wideband sensor

problem i see with using a wideband to set nos/fuel mixtures would be its responce time
unless its possible somehow to hold the revs constant while injecting nos, there will always be a delay in closed loop operation
made worse i would have thought by the extra accelaration given by nos?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

We're still working on refining it and enhancing it but when its ready it should work with most wide band sensors and the response time should not be a problem, especially as ANYTHING is better than nothing. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:02 pm 

really looking forward to this feature, hopefully 5 bar MAP sensor can be added too and a datalogging capability would really be awesome :yes: :bow: