NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: REVO system takes UK Porsche record :)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:56 pm 

Hi All :)

A quick run through of the day that ended with a UK record for my new REVO system.....:)

Got to Thorney Island early, was scrutineered first by Ron lol :)

Signed on and was first to run...

Half way down the track was a bump/dip....when I hit it my Maxx conked out :( ..totally dead, then it came back to life while returning to run again...

Second run same as first..bump...no Maxx ..lol

Even at my ancient age I eventually figured out that I might have a power to the Maxx problem lol...

One power spade to my main Nitrous switch was fractionally loose, so got out my trusty Snap-On electrical kit and replaced the spade and made sure it was rock solid.. then went for another run and all was fine.....

I then started running seriously, a couple of times I rang Ant for technical help on the new Revo settings and he graciously helped me (don`t forget that was a Sunday afternoon and he was at home)

I hugely appreciated that and all the other help WON have given me... :)

I slowly increased power as I am still testing the system, and dropped progressively from a start run mid 17, then 16, then 15, then 14 then finally a 13.035 at 113.3 mph.

The previous Porsche 928 UK record was held by a Porsche racer with a 5 ltr Supercharged gt 928 at 13.39 @ 108.

He and I are the ONLY 928s ever to do over 100 mph on the 1/4 (car weighs 3600 lbs) and his was a pure racer, stripped down and mine is a daily driver with no stripping apart from a race seat and 6 point harnesses :)

I beat his record by over 3 tenths lol and his time by 5 mph...

The Revos performed amazingly well, and are so SMOOTH as to be a little unbelievable...

When I went through the trap on the record run, there was a REALLY nasty noise from the engine bay and I thought I had dropped a valve :(

I stopped and looked and it was a shredded Aircon belt lollllll

I cut it off an returned to the pits perfectly fine :)

And CHUFFED to bits once I saw my time and speed :) :) :)

I could EASILY have increased the Revo setting for more hp, and would have definitely run a 12 or better, but as I had already taken the record and the belt seemed like a sign to me (plus I wasn't sure if it had damaged the revo driver wiring) so decided enough was enough as I am still learning about how to use the REVO system...and better safe than sorry...

So I came home with a UK record which I am EXTREMELY happy with :) :) :) :)

MANY MANY thanks yet again to Trev, Ant, Dave and all at WON for a truly amazing REVO system and all their help in achieving my aim.

P.S .... I`m not finished yet..Top Speed records, here I come lol :)

All the best Brett :)

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: REVO system takes UK Porsche record :)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

:wav: EXCELLENT & MANY CONGRATULATION :wav:

Looking forward to the 12s and even the 11s when you get everything fully sorted. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:42 am 
Learner

Well done mate it was nice to finaly meet you and I'm glad you got you record.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:45 am 
Learner

well done. thats was a big jump in times to the previous run you wa doing up there :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:16 am 
Learner

Good effort Brett, and I bet you can improve on that. With some more fine tuning of the revo system I`m sure you will be in the 12`s.

With such a heavy car you might consider a pair of drag slicks and better your times even more, although that would put a large strain on the transmission.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:27 am 
Wizard

What power were you adding? I imagine a fairly small amount?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:56 am 

bigdaveakers wrote:

Hi Dave :)

Good guess.. lol

I was using around 10% of my systems final capability :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:33 am 
Wizard

Brett928S2 wrote:
bigdaveakers wrote:

Good guess.. lol

So around 60BHP then?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:45 am 

bigdaveakers wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:
bigdaveakers wrote:

Good guess.. lol

So around 60BHP then?

No, around 210...lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:11 pm 
Wizard

10's on the horizon now Brett :)

Well done mate. What was the track like??

Regards
Pel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:04 pm 

mgbv8 wrote:

Regards
Pel

Hi Pel :)

No, mine is intended for Top Speed runs and the only reason I ran the 1/4 was because of the hassle I was getting from other Porsche 928 owners about my car having no times etc...

So I am now the fastest 928 in the UK (with the UK record) and I thought that would stop them lol....but it hasn't...its all ah you "should" have done a 12 ....or there are LOTS of 928s in the UK faster than yours...lol

My answer is ....I will happily hand over the record when and IF i see a timeslip that beats mine lol

Thats pretty unlikely as my record takes 3.3 seconds off the book time for a 928, and as you know, hundreths or tenths are remarkable to take off a time, seconds are unheard of , BUT EASY thanks to the REVOS :)

The track was truly awful...lol concrete with totally no traction, I tried "Burn out mode" once, but no point after that as no traction whatsoever...lol

But it was a nice relaxing day away from business and I walked away with a record and was extremely happy :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:47 pm 
Learner

The 2.4 60ft has plenty of room for a 12 right there with the right launch at the right track!

Sounds like you'll never win over the Porsche owners but who cares it's your car that you enjoy.

210hp is 10%? I thought your system has been flow tested to 700hp not that 700hp is a small amount but its not 2100hp!!!

When do the top speed runs start then? I should be doing my first runs with my caged car early next year after proving my running gear in my road based car & then building it up to my goal as I go :mrgreen:

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:09 pm 

billb wrote:
The 2.4 60ft has plenty of room for a 12 right there with the right launch at the right track!

Sounds like you'll never win over the Porsche owners but who cares it's your car that you enjoy.

210hp is 10%? I thought your system has been flow tested to 700hp not that 700hp is a small amount but its not 2100hp!!!

When do the top speed runs start then? I should be doing my first runs with my caged car early next year after proving my running gear in my road based car & then building it up to my goal as I go :mrgreen:

Bill

Hi Bill :)

At the moment its 700 Revo plus 700 fixed hit plus another 600 with a final set of Revos...

I have a LOT of high speed testing yet to do with my Revos, as normally for high speed runs I do not activate the Nitrous until around 130 to 140....

I now have a Racepak GPS data logger , which will help a lot , BUT I always take testing seriously and that takes time....so it may not be ready to run Top Speed runs until next year (uncertain at moment)

I do not want to break anything (very unlikely with Revos as they are so smooth) but I want to extremely slowly increase the power...

I pushed it a little yesterday to get that record and although Trev would probably have said...not yet lol....I had every faith in the REVOS after using them and pushed up the power a small step at a time, and stopped once I had the record :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

One point I should make here is that Bretts maths may be out but the result is all that matters.

One difference/problem that is worse with a REVO system than a conventional system, is that it's not as easy and even less accurate to say exactly what power you're making at any given setting. Not only do we have to contend with all the variables that I've made you all aware of when using conventional systems and trying to assess the power but we now have an additional variable (the jet/REVO itself or to be entirely accurate jets/REVOs) and to make it worse they are not only variable but variable relative to each other and fully adjustable. Therefore while we can flow test, flow rate and plot flow graphs of what each can do individually, what those INDEPENDENTLY ADJUSTABLE flow rates translates to in actual use on a specific engine is ANYBODY'S GUESS.

Furthermore, whilst most engines make less power than the theoretical figures we have for our jets, some make more (even NA motors) and the REVO being a whole different ball game and being far more efficient due to the direct flow path and unique metering point, could well produce higher HP figures than the equivalent jets/flow rates would achieve in a conventional system.

I say 'could' because although the first results we've seen indicate this is likely to be the case, it is still early days yet, so I'll wait till we've had more results before making any conclusion on that matter, even though pure logic alone dictates that will be the case.

For the record more and more REVOs are trickling out of the door (as quickly as we can make them) and will soon be getting used on more and more different applications. The consequence of this will be a growth in all areas of our understanding of the REVO system, which we'll put to good use to further enhance the performances of those people using them, as well as enhancing the entire concept all the way back to the design stage. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:36 pm 
Wizard

Brett928S2 wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:

Regards
Pel

No, mine is intended for Top Speed runs and the only reason I ran the 1/4 was because of the hassle I was getting from other Porsche 928 owners about my car having no times etc...

So I am now the fastest 928 in the UK (with the UK record) and I thought that would stop them lol....but it hasn't...its all ah you "should" have done a 12 ....or there are LOTS of 928s in the UK faster than yours...lol

My answer is ....I will happily hand over the record when and IF i see a timeslip that beats mine lol

Thats pretty unlikely as my record takes 3.3 seconds off the book time for a 928, and as you know, hundreths or tenths are remarkable to take off a time, seconds are unheard of , BUT EASY thanks to the REVOS :)

The track was truly awful...lol concrete with totally no traction, I tried "Burn out mode" once, but no point after that as no traction whatsoever...lol

But it was a nice relaxing day away from business and I walked away with a record and was extremely happy :)

Shut up you old Tart :D :D
You honestly expect me to believe that after trashing a record that easily you aint gonna bung some sticky tyres on a spare set of rims and go get that 60 foot down to 1.9 and hit some mid 12's or better just by getting a good hook up off the line. :rofl:
I for one know that you will have this nagging at you for ages :) You know its gonna get the better of you eventually. It always does :D
You know very well that all you need is some grip and a 100 shot off the line. Then the max and revo's will do the biz after the first 100 feet or so!!

GO BRETT, GO BRETT, GO BRETT :beatstick:

Hey!!
September 18th is the RWYB day on the saturday after the FIA Euro finals. I'm doing that day cos the track is going to be mint and covered with rubber. Traction after an FIA gig is really good :)
Richard BMW 840 will be there as this will be his Big weekend for a record. Stevie Skoda (Rapid Blue) will be there, and if my engine is back in one piece this is the day I'm going for my 9 second attempt. I'll be there with or without my car. I'll also be there with the new WON project that is currently under wraps. But will be ready for another MG record if this weekends testing on the "secret WON" project pan out. A 1275cc stock MG Midget running in the 15's ??? Whatever next :)
And maybe by then the WON MR2 of my Son's will be rolling out for testing. I will actually be at the Pod on the Friday, Saturday and the Sunday without even going home for fresh undercrackers!! I'll have those in a Tesco's bag :rofl:

If you can make the Saturday it will be a real hoot :yes:
If you get there early enough you could wake us all up as we may be sleepy from the Friday night "nitrous and beer" debate as so often happens when I hook up with the lot from here :cheers:

Pel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:33 pm 

Hi All :)

Some photos that someone sent me from my Record run day at Thorney Island....

Attachment:
dscf1812.jpg
dscf1812.jpg [ 105.72 KiB | Viewed 19086 times ]

Attachment:
dscf1813m.jpg
dscf1813m.jpg [ 94.68 KiB | Viewed 19091 times ]

Attachment:
dscf1798t.jpg
dscf1798t.jpg [ 131.11 KiB | Viewed 19080 times ]

Attachment:
dscf1801c.jpg
dscf1801c.jpg [ 110.13 KiB | Viewed 19083 times ]

Attachment:
dscf1805w.jpg
dscf1805w.jpg [ 89.8 KiB | Viewed 19078 times ]

Attachment:
dscf1813m.jpg
dscf1813m.jpg [ 94.68 KiB | Viewed 19080 times ]

Attachment:
dscf1811s.jpg
dscf1811s.jpg [ 125.33 KiB | Viewed 19082 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 pm 
Wizard

Ha Ha!!!

2nd picture shows Brett either in tears with happiness, or laughing hit tits off and trying to hide it as the Porka boys have to admit he was right all along :beatstick:

Good pics mate....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:45 pm 

mgbv8 wrote:
Ha Ha!!!

2nd picture shows Brett either in tears with happiness, or laughing hit tits off and trying to hide it as the Porka boys have to admit he was right all along :beatstick:

Good pics mate....

Hi :)

Lol...actually I was blowing my nose before pulling up my nomex balaclava lol..... why do people take pics at the worst time :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Where are all the other Porkers??????

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:01 pm 
Wizard

It could have been worse Brett :)
Nah!! I still reckon you were disguising the Achoo! as Fuckyou! to the tipec guy standing nearby :rofl: In a Morecombe and Wise style.... Remember the Eric Morecombe cough which said "Aresenal" ??? :)

Get yourself down to the Pod this Sunday if you can mate. I'm gonna have a shit load of MG's on site as well as my Female Porsche nut in her likkle Gold Porka. I dont know the model but its only got 4 pots. But she is mental for her Porsche and will not stop bloody going on about Porka stuff...
And I will be unveiling the WON MG Midget. But not until its beaten our challenger who is coming over from Holland with his 1800 K series powered Midget. He does not know that the Stock UK Midget has WON under the bonnet :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm 

Noswizard wrote:

Hi Trev :)

You are kidding lol....to most Porsche owners Drag racing is like supping with the devil, besides which god forbid they might actually get them dirty...

As far as Nitrous on a Porsche....they think I have sold my soul to the devil,,,,lol....

As far as them racing against me....no wayyyyy , they might (would) get beaten lolllll and that would more than slightly show up their 100k Porsches :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 pm 

mgbv8 wrote:
It could have been worse Brett :)
Nah!! I still reckon you were disguising the Achoo! as Fuckyou! to the tipec guy standing nearby :rofl: In a Morecombe and Wise style.... Remember the Eric Morecombe cough which said "Aresenal" ??? :)

Get yourself down to the Pod this Sunday if you can mate. I'm gonna have a shit load of MG's on site as well as my Female Porsche nut in her likkle Gold Porka. I dont know the model but its only got 4 pots. But she is mental for her Porsche and will not stop bloody going on about Porka stuff...
And I will be unveiling the WON MG Midget. But not until its beaten our challenger who is coming over from Holland with his 1800 K series powered Midget. He does not know that the Stock UK Midget has WON under the bonnet :omgrofl:

Wish I could but got a family thing booked :(

That 4 Pot Porsche will probably be a 924 or 944 or rarely a 968...(take a pic and I will let you know which)

Have a good day though :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:15 pm 
Wizard

Brett928S2 wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

You are kidding lol....to most Porsche owners Drag racing is like supping with the devil, besides which god forbid they might actually get them dirty...

As far as Nitrous on a Porsche....they think I have sold my soul to the devil,,,,lol....

As far as them racing against me....no wayyyyy , they might (would) get beaten lolllll and that would more than slightly show up their 100k Porsches :)

Ha Ha!!
More Garage Queens eh Brett!!
What is it with the Porka guys?? Dont they realise that there cars can do sooo much more with a little tweak???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 pm 

mgbv8 wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

Ha Ha!!
More Garage Queens eh Brett!!
What is it with the Porka guys?? Dont they realise that there cars can do sooo much more with a little tweak???

I really don`t know whats wrong with them...they seem to think their cars are sacred...

I know one guy with a 997 who does around 2000 miles a year (going to concours shows ONLY)

He cleans and polishes the car for a solid 2 weeks before and when he gets there he spends another 2 hours on it.....and then uses COTTON BUDS (i kid you not) cleaning his wheels.... :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:36 pm 

Couple more pics a friend took....

Attachment:
bretthalf.JPG
bretthalf.JPG [ 12.5 KiB | Viewed 19039 times ]

Attachment:
lightshalf.JPG
lightshalf.JPG [ 59.71 KiB | Viewed 19023 times ]