NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: High tech thread revival - MUST SEE FOR THE SMART GUYS
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 pm 
Learner

oh hang on.... :idea: (Maybe) Above a certain level of N20 injection does the cooling effect from the rapid expansion of the N20 get balanced by its compressive effects on the other gasses in the cylinder? I.e. a net temp increase of zero??

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

QuickStudy wrote:
Ok so here's where I get lost a bit... The breaking of the chemical bonds is exothermic... but the rapid expansion of liquid to gaeous N20 (through injection) causes a reduction in thermal state of the cylinders contents..??
That's BEFORE compression which heats it all back up again, especially when there is residual heat in the engine components.

Or is this only up to a certain level of N20 injection after which combustion temps continue to rise??
Combustion temps rise as you increase nitrous flow rates and it's my expectation (based on certain observations of the existing limits we encounter), that at some elevated nitrous level the result is 'automatic' dissociation.

So is the exothermic energy release of the N20 into Oxygen and Nitrogen large enough to a) Heat up the Nitrogen to do work leaving
MOST CERTAINLY and it 'seems' to be FAR MORE than normal combustion (which is potentially why we break things when trying to push higher with nitrous than we do when using a turbo etc.) - take a look at the graphs on the site link provided in an earlier post.

B) enough thermal energy to self sustain this reaction again
It doesn't have to release enough to self sustain it, as each compression cycle will regenerate the desired conditions.

and c) only achievable about a certain level of injection?
Yes it will only be possible ABOVE a certain level of nitrous injection, although it may be possible to reduce that level once we fully understand the process and when it's reached.

Otherwise the cooling effect will -act like a graphite rod in a nuclear fission reactor -stop it propagating?
No the cooling effect is not relavent, as that occurs PRIOR to compression, which is PRIOR to reaching the conditions for auto dissociation.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:19 pm 
Learner

:redface: I forgot about the piston compressing the charge :redface:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Easily done.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:17 am 
Learner

[quote="NoswizardSo is the exothermic energy release of the N20 into Oxygen and Nitrogen large enough to a) Heat up the Nitrogen to do work leaving
MOST CERTAINLY and it 'seems' to be FAR MORE than normal combustion (which is potentially why we break things when trying to push higher with nitrous than we do when using a turbo etc.) - take a look at the graphs on the site link provided in an earlier post.

[/color] [/quote][/quote]

Is there a Chemist in the House????

Ok. So the reaction (combustion) between Hydrocarbons molecules (fuel) and Air (Nitrogen and Oxygen) will produce a left over amount of energy 'x' which works on the Nitrogen to cause the gas to expand.. This amount of energy per molar mass should be calculable surely?? It will be pressure/temp dependant obviously.. And assumptions will need to be made about homogenious fluids etc. But a close guestimate at least.

I remember working on Carnot cycles but haven't done so for a while..:(

The same can be said for the energy released per molar mass for the Dissociation of N20 into Oxygen and Nitrogen...This reaction causes an energy release 'Y' and from what Trev suggest from his observations Y is much greater than x

One should be able to calculate the increase in temp on the Nitrogen between the two different reactions??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Admin

I'm sure it is calculable but as I've actually seen the results on a graph based on info from an in chamber pressure sensor, I KNOW it's more and by a substantial amount and for now that's ALL I need to know. ;)

BTW there is a thread on here somewhere where the force of dissociation is compared to a substantial amount of TNT or similar. :shock: :lol:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 pm 
Learner

TNT :))))) I could be dead wrong with the following statement but hey ho.. :?

I'm not that hot on chemistry but I think the energy released from breaking down (exothermic) the chemical (electron bonding) between hydro-carbons molecules is mostly abosorbed creating bonds (endothermic) between the freed carbon (from the fuel) and oxygen (from the air).. what's 'left over' heats up the Nitrogen (from the air) giving you the force on your piston..

Compare that energy release from combustion of fuel and air to your "theory" (I say theory that in brackets because you've shown experimental proof) about dissociation of N20 where breaking down the chemical bonding of this molecule into its constituents (exothemic), leaves much more energy to heat up the freed Nitrogen (giving a larger force on the piston due to larger expansion of Nitrogen gas.) Is this because the chemical bonding of the di-atomic molecules of Nitrogen gas and Oxygen gas takes less energy than forming the Carbon Monoxide / Carbon Dioxide molecules from the Air/Fuel reaction resulting in more net or left over energy which the nitrogen can absorb causing it to expand.
????? What im struggling with is dissociation an NOx formations....

BTW clever bods... if what I've just spat out is all a load of b.s. please let me know...im an engineer not a chemist...

Last edited by QuickStudy on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 pm 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
BTW there is a thread on here somewhere where the force of dissociation is compared to a substantial amount of TNT or similar. :shock: :lol:

Isn't TNT used as a baseline to describe the explosive power of Nuclear Weapons?? LOL :omgrofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

I'm no chemist either, so I can't answer that one for sure but there is NO formation of NOx associated with the dissociation of nitrous unless it's also part of the combustion process, as it currently is but won't be if my THEORY works.

BTW I'm not the only one to be aware of the potential to use nitrous oxide as a mono propellent in an engine but as far as I'm aware I'm the only person in a position to do anything about it to prove if it works or not and if it works, if it can be controlled without it destroying either the engine or the operator. ;)

If you hear of my death whilst carrying out some R&D, chances are it'll be due to working on this project. :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:08 pm 
Learner

Hey Trev any news/progress on the Semi Sealed induction concept?? The last post I read said you had a toy available to test the ideas out on?? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure what toy you're referring to but we're making progress with the prototype and hope to be track testing it before the end of the race season. :)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 pm 
Learner

TOY= Busa in Finland :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

OK with you now but before we can 'play' on the 'toy' we have to create the prototype of the system.

Even the simple option of that is a relatively major process but we're making progress. :)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)