NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: High tech thread revival - MUST SEE FOR THE SMART GUYS
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:42 am 

Hi All :)

My Porsche 928 has Nikasil plated bores and I use quite a lot of Nitrous with no problems at all .....

All the best Brett :)

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm 
Learner

I think we pretty much singing from the same sheet there Trev, the only difference being my comments are based purely on the data given from the link, not trying to summise what happens in every situation.
I puposely didnt mention REVO's purely because of this, as i figured, had that data been posted by a WON customer, you would have known about and probably used it before it became an internet posting elsewhere. It can be assumed, rightly or wrongly that the engine data is acquired from pulsed technology or a fixed stage hit.
The points you made about the reasons for more constant delivery apart from the solenoid frequencies, where also the reasons i had in mind for the consistent density, and it is likely the 2 are very closely interlinked.
Going back to the posted data, in that instance there is some decomposition of the nitrous, but not complete. The pressure spikes on the downstroke indicate a further erratic combustion and an increasingly lean mix, this can only really be contributed to further decomposition, least in my opinion. Would be interested to hear your opinion if it differs much :yes:
Yes, turbo motors make ideal nitrous motors, but even they wouldnt handle runaway peak pressures, especially on or around TDC, high pressure increases in this area make very little torque but owing to the crank angle contribute highly to engine damage. To withstand the sort of figures we'd be looking at then we are well into the realms of nitro engines.
Total thermal decomposition prior to ignition, in our applications is very very bad, as we no longer have any control over it, so if we are reaching that level, then to move beyond it and regain control, we need to know :-
a)if the fuel is indeed acting as a catalyst, and if so by how much and then gain knowledge of the decomposition rates/temp/pressure tables. Then we could have timed injection of the fuel directly into the cylinder as per a diesel to control where the power starts
b) if the fuel is not acting as a catalyst the quantity/temp/pressure relation of the nitrous decomposition so we can have timed injection of the nitrous so again we can put the power where its needed.
Once thats mastered, the heat is the next thing we need to control, as this would be the next limiting factor of how hard an engine could be pushed

Owing to the above thinking, i personally think, as stated when you first mentioned it, that direct cylinder injection is the way forward, as this will push the boundaries the furthest whilst maintaining control and why im also willing to let you use any spare engine i have to further this along, as it undoubtedly has a magnitude of problems that come with it, some known, some not. Only time will tell if they can be completely overcome. That same technology may also be needed for something along the lines of timed water injection to combat heat, or timed nitrogen injection to help harness the forces created.
Anyway, enough for now, i need to get my thinking head off, and my spanner head on!! Lol

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
I think we pretty much singing from the same sheet there Trev, the only difference being my comments are based purely on the data given from the link, not trying to summise what happens in every situation.
Fair enough.

I puposely didnt mention REVO's purely because of this, as i figured, had that data been posted by a WON customer, you would have known about and probably used it before it became an internet posting elsewhere. It can be assumed, rightly or wrongly that the engine data is acquired from pulsed technology or a fixed stage hit.
Exactly right and it most certainly wasn't from the use of ANY of my systems and I'm CERTAIN that had it been one of my systems on test, the results wouldn't have been anywhere near as 'ragged' if at all.

The points you made about the reasons for more constant delivery apart from the solenoid frequencies, where also the reasons i had in mind for the consistent density, and it is likely the 2 are very closely interlinked.
In some respects there is certainly an overlap in benefits.

Going back to the posted data, in that instance there is some decomposition of the nitrous, but not complete. The pressure spikes on the downstroke indicate a further erratic combustion and an increasingly lean mix, this can only really be contributed to further decomposition, least in my opinion. Would be interested to hear your opinion if it differs much :yes:
Unfortunately I don't feel I have enough information to make an accurate speculation on that and as I hope to soon have some better informed information available to compare it to, I'll hold on responding to that for now. ;)

Yes, turbo motors make ideal nitrous motors, but even they wouldnt handle runaway peak pressures, especially on or around TDC, high pressure increases in this area make very little torque but owing to the crank angle contribute highly to engine damage. To withstand the sort of figures we'd be looking at then we are well into the realms of nitro engines.
Agreed and maybe that's what will ultimately be required, unless I can get a handle on and overcome all the potentially limiting factors, that we're ultimately encountering with current technology.

Total thermal decomposition prior to ignition, in our applications is very very bad, as we no longer have any control over it, so if we are reaching that level, then to move beyond it and regain control, we need to know :-
a)if the fuel is indeed acting as a catalyst, and if so by how much and then gain knowledge of the decomposition rates/temp/pressure tables. Then we could have timed injection of the fuel directly into the cylinder as per a diesel to control where the power starts
b) if the fuel is not acting as a catalyst the quantity/temp/pressure relation of the nitrous decomposition so we can have timed injection of the nitrous so again we can put the power where its needed.
Once thats mastered, the heat is the next thing we need to control, as this would be the next limiting factor of how hard an engine could be pushed
Agreed in the main but unfortunately there are also other issues that need addressing in my ultimate aim of pushing the barriers to exceed the levels achieved by other power adders (turbo's, blowers, nitro, etc.).

Owing to the above thinking, i personally think, as stated when you first mentioned it, that direct cylinder injection is the way forward, as this will push the boundaries the furthest whilst maintaining control
Agreed, I'm 99% certain that timed direct injection will be the ultimate system design but I have 2 further quantum steps forward in nitrous technology before I dedicate my time solely to that. Unfortunately Timed Direct Injection will be VERY COMPLEX, as well as not being applicable to all engines and therefore will be too costly to be a marketable product.
THE ONLY REASONS that I'm spending my time and money creating such a system are;
1) To PROVE it is the ultimate system
2) To see how far it will allow us to go
3) To PROVE I CAN
4) If it isn't already UNIVERSALLY accepted (excluding the IDIOTS out there), that 'I' have produced the most advanced nitrous technology by the time I have the TDI system finished, then that should put it beyond doubt.
:twisted:

and why im also willing to let you use any spare engine i have to further this along, as it undoubtedly has a magnitude of problems that come with it, some known, some not. Only time will tell if they can be completely overcome. That same technology may also be needed for something along the lines of timed water injection to combat heat, or timed nitrogen injection to help harness the forces created.
Yes there may be a need for something along those lines but I hope that 'the fuel' that I mentioned in the original thread, will help substantially to overcome even the lack of nitrogen issue. ;) ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:20 am 
Site Admin

A brief update;

Since my last post I've been working with another foreign customer who wants my help to create an TO RUN ON NITROUS ONLY.
HIS research indicates that it should be possible to make an existing engine design do that, once the normal combustion process of gasoline has generated as near as possible the required conditions to do so.

By coincidence this marries very well with my current project - the Semi Sealed Induction System, so I'll be killing 4 birds with one stone with that project now;
1) Taking 'normal' nitrous injection to a whole new level of technology
2) Determining if nitrous dissociates prior to normal spark ignition FOR CERTAIN - as this guy (the SECOND TO SAY SO), is claiming IT WILL.
3) If we PROVE that to be the case, we'll see what can be achieved using nitrous alone
4) Proving how far my thinking is in front of everyone else. ;)

BTW this guy wants to run an engine on nitrous ONLY, because it would be the ONLY ZERO emission fuel - how BIZARRE would it be if nitrous became the fuel of the future and even more bizarrely how much money would that make me? :twisted:

Personally I doubt it's a viable option for numerous practical reasons, even if it makes comparable power but I'm still going to work with the guy to try and achieve this, JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT.

One thing is certain, IF this all works out, it should PUT A STOP to Batty mouthing off that he knows more about this subject than is good for him. :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:34 pm 
Wizard

You remember me emailing you about how the SSID concept gave me the horn !!

Run an engine on Nitrous only??
This has just surpassed that email Trev :yes: :bow: :yes:

You thinking about messing with the nitrous condition in the inlet tract to the point where the nitrous will release its energy as the prime mover in the cylinders ??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:02 pm 
Site Admin

My 'THINKING' is this Perry;

'IF' as has been CATEGORICALLY STATED by 2 different people now, (one of which at least, I'd be very surprised to discover was wrong due to his highly informed position in an extremely well situated company), the nitrous is dissociating PRIOR to ignition (at a certain level of nitrous injection, under certain conditions) and as indicated by the graphs linked to in the first post, it results in a MASSIVE increase in heat above that of fuel and air alone, then it seems to follow that at that point upwards we SHOULDN'T NEED FUEL or a spark, as long as those conditions can be sustained with those elements removed.

Now that wasn’t my original intention when I conceived of the SSIS concept but after speaking with the guy who is in to the 'green' aspects of an engine running on nitrous alone, it makes sense to extend the experimentation with the SSIS to determine 'IF' that's possible and 'IF' my 'expectations' can be realised.

'IF' I'm right and 'IF' I'm able to achieve controlled use of nitrous ONLY, I 'predict' that the existing limitations of nitrous use would be easily eclipsed, because I 'believe' that one of the main current limitations, is caused by the nitrous prematurely dissociating (prior to ignition), which causes the fuel to detonate. 'IF' we can remove ALL the fuel and just use the heat & energy created by the dissociation of nitrous, we'll have REMOVED the risk of the fuel detonating.

LET ME EMPHASIS, THIS IS ALL PURELY SPECULATIVE!!!

HOWEVER, as ALL my previous speculations have proved to be CORRECT so far, I wouldn't recommend anyone to bet against it. ;)

Maybe Batty would like to make a £1,000 bet on the matter, because although I have nothing that I consider concrete on the outcome of this experiment at present, I am confident enough in my past record to make such a bet. :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm 
Wizard

I understand the theory of the SSID being a means to trap the nitrous and fuel mix in the inlet manifold, thereby possibly creating a positive charge pressure in the inlet, which would create a supercharging effect under a carb or even in front of a throttle body in an EFI system. And with the right nitrous to fuel ratio for the engine with the SSID closed the engine would run fine on the mix.

Are you talkng about somehow affecting the nitrous charge to a point where it becomes unstable (if thats the correct term) to a point where it will expand due to chemical breakdown / decomposition and provide the motive force for the pistons? This is sounding like a diesel engine isnt it? Extreme heat and pressure causing (not combustion) but chemical breakdown of the nitrous which will make it increase in volume quite rapidly.

Have I got that right ??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:34 am 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
Are you talkng about somehow affecting the nitrous charge to a point where it becomes unstable (if thats the correct term)
That's not quite the right term, the right term is dissociation.

to a point where it will expand due to chemical breakdown / decomposition and provide the motive force for the pistons?
Chemical breakdown and decompossion of the nitrous in to oxygen and nitrogen, is a suitable alternative term that describes the process and yes that will generate heat and therefore energy to power the engine.

This is sounding like a diesel engine isnt it?
Close but NOT exactly the same, because a diesel relies on TWO fuel constituants, whereas what I'm talking about is JUST NITROUS.

Extreme heat and pressure causing (not combustion) but chemical breakdown of the nitrous which will make it increase in volume quite rapidly.
In a diesel the heat and pressure DOES CAUSE COMBUSTION but with this idea there will be no 'combustion' as such, JUST DISSOCIATION.

Have I got that right ??
Just about.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:46 pm 
Learner

Even if this doesnt work as intended, it could certainly provide some extremely usefull data for our purposes
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Exactly! :twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:24 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:
Are you talkng about somehow affecting the nitrous charge to a point where it becomes unstable (if thats the correct term)
That's not quite the right term, the right term is dissociation.
OK dissociation then.

to a point where it will expand due to chemical breakdown / decomposition and provide the motive force for the pistons?
Chemical breakdown and decompossion of the nitrous in to oxygen and nitrogen, is a suitable alternative term that describes the process and yes that will generate heat and therefore energy to power the engine.
How will the generated heat affect the rate of dissociation?

This is sounding like a diesel engine isnt it?
Close but NOT exactly the same, because a diesel relies on TWO fuel constituants, whereas what I'm talking about is JUST NITROUS.

Extreme heat and pressure causing (not combustion) but chemical breakdown of the nitrous which will make it increase in volume quite rapidly.
In a diesel the heat and pressure DOES CAUSE COMBUSTION but with this idea there will be no 'combustion' as such, JUST DISSOCIATION.

Have I got that right ??
Just about.

Now brace yourself for some simple numpty logic and questions ??
This whole topic of using dissociation of nitrous as an engery source has got my simple brain in overload :)

I can see how we could liberate energy from such a process. But surely this would be at a fixed rate once the temperature and pressure conditions to promote such a reaction are reached. And I'm assuming the fixed rate of breakdown could only be maintained if the pressure and temperature could be maintained throughout this process ?

If you can reach a condition in a chamber where this reaction will occur then surely to maintain a stable reaction rate the initial conditions must be maintained. The resulting heat and possible pressure increase in this chamber must surely affect the rate of reaction?

If more heat and more pressure will exaserbate the reaction then the reaction will run away without control wont it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 am 
Site Admin

mgbv8 wrote:
Now brace yourself for some simple numpty logic and questions ??
NOT AGAIN!!!!!!
Only kidding Perry. ;)

This whole topic of using dissociation of nitrous as an engery source has got my simple brain in overload :)
Me to! :twisted:

I can see how we could liberate energy from such a process. But surely this would be at a fixed rate once the temperature and pressure conditions to promote such a reaction are reached.
Nope because it will also depend on how much nitrous you inject, in much the same way as a diesel engine operates. The more nitrous you add the higher the compression will be and the bigger the volume of heat/power generated.

And I'm assuming the fixed rate of breakdown could only be maintained if the pressure and temperature could be maintained throughout this process ?
Yes but based on the graphs that I linked to at the start of the thread and what has been experienced by those who have hit the brick wall at high nitrous doses (which 'MAY' be as a consequence of this phenomena), that's already achievable. Since the heat from the dissociation looks to be MUCH HIGHER than normal NA combustion, it should 'IN THEORY AT LEAST' be possible to maintain the correct conditions to continue dissociation without the fuel and a spark. :twisted:

If you can reach a condition in a chamber where this reaction will occur then surely to maintain a stable reaction rate the initial conditions must be maintained.
Maintained or better still increased - increased being my aim, because there lies to road to EVEN MORE POWER!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The resulting heat and possible pressure increase in this chamber must surely affect the rate of reaction?
Correct and therefore confirms my above statements.

If more heat and more pressure will exaserbate the reaction then the reaction will run away without control wont it?
Yes it's my expectation that more heat and pressure, will result in even more heat and pressure = more power BUT I'll always have control, because I'll be metering the amount of nitrous flow to the engine. However, as this is all about MORE & MORE POWER, I doubt I'll be reducing the flow. ;)

Before you go away and think about it some more and come back with, "Ah but won't all that extra heat and pressure damage the engine/pistons" my PREDICTION is as follows;

It's my "BELIEF" that when we currently reach the point of (let’s call it) 'auto-dissociation' the cause of the engine component failure, is not so much caused directly to the engine components by the rise in heat and pressure but as a consequence of the effect that heat and pressure has on the fuel - which causes it to DETONATE.
By removing the fuel, we remove the source of the detonation and thereby allow the engine to continue making power above the current limits.

Ask yourself the following question;
Why when using nitrous oxide is it only possible to make between 50 and 70% of the power that a blown or turbo engine can make, before the risk of damage stops it being viable????

THEORETICALLY we should be able to make MUCH MORE than they do but we CAN'T - NOT EVEN the TOP American companies/racers. THEY CAN'T EVEN GET CLOSE!!!!
All the time, money, resources, dyno time, track time, engine analysis equipment, etc. etc. and yet they've ALL GIVEN UP!!!!! They have ALL RESORTED to bigger and BIGGER engines consuming less and less nitrous.
They now have a ONE THOUSAND CUBIC INCH ENGINE, THAT STILL CAN'T TOUCH a blown engine of HALF the size, that is also HANDICAPPED BEYOND BELIEF!!!!!

Now there are a number of potential causes for this situation;
1) Garbage nitrous kits causing uneven nitrous delivery resulting in engines that can't be tuned accurately, because the combustion conditions are constantly changing
2) Inadequate tuning knowledge resulting in less than optimum settings being used
3) Super cooling of the fuel preventing it from vaporising adequately, resulting in liquid fuel in the chambers preventing correct combustion.
4) The reduced level of nitrogen reducing the damping effect on the combustion process.
5) Nitrous dissociating prior to ignition, leading to detonation of the fuel.

Now I've been reflecting on ALL the above for MANY YEARS now but there's ONLY ONE of those that could cause the heat trace shown in the graphs above.

The reason it can ONLY be nitrous 'auto-dissociating' is ..............

Actually I'll stop there and just give you a clue, take a CLOSE LOOK at the heat graph traces PRIOR to combustion on all the graphs on that website. ;) ;)

BTW have you noticed that Batty hasn't been back to peddle anymore of his GARBAGE - anyone want to bet that he may now be realising the error of his ways?!?!?!?!?!
:omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:05 pm 
Learner

I can actually see this working really well on a turbine type engine where pressure equals motive force, but can also see many drawbacks for a piston engine.
I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is going to be timing the dissociation, increasing pressure before TDC will act as a brake rather than motive force, so the reaction has to happen post TDC, sorry, the major reaction. Then the nitrogen can do its thing for us. At present using fuel, we use the combustion to control the major reaction so its timing gives the piston a push in the right direction, this now wont be the case so pressure will be the determining factor. Now just increasing the pressure and nitrous quantity will mean that the reaction will start occurring prior to TDC, and get worse as the piston approaches TDC, therefore possibly stalling the piston altogether. The nitrous would really need to be injected somewhere near TDC to get the reaction post TDC.
Another factor could also be residual heat. We know the heat generated by nitrous dissociation is very high, and the amount of pressure required will generate heat too, so will there come o point where the oxygen content actually ignites the engine components?
This certainly isnt going to be a straightforward bolt on for a petrol or even diesel engine, as i feel both of these would prove too fragile.
Looking at the logic, i feel perhaps, using just the SSID, this project is doomed to failure, as it will infact require my old favourite, the timed direct injection.But in the same breath, i also beleive we coul;d possibly gain a lot more knowledge of dissociation and nitrous use.
Then again, what do i know? And by all accounts, if nothing was ever tried, we'd know nothing.
Succeed or fail, heres to some usefull results :D

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:07 am 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
I think the biggest hurdle to overcome is going to be timing the dissociation, increasing pressure before TDC will act as a brake rather than motive force, so the reaction has to happen post TDC, sorry, the major reaction.
Although the initial reaction 'appears' to be starting prior to the spark (which itself is intended to fire BEFORE TDC remember), the majority of the reaction seems to happen at about the right time and were it not for the fuel detonating I 'believe' everything would be fine. Personally I don't 'think' that's going to be a problem BUT no doubt it's not going to be a breeze but that's exactly why I'm relishing the project. :twisted:

Then the nitrogen can do its thing for us. At present using fuel, we use the combustion to control the major reaction so its timing gives the piston a push in the right direction, this now wont be the case so pressure will be the determining factor.
There is still a chance (according one of the smart guys I'm talking to), that without the contribution made by the petrol, that we'll need the energy from a spark to kick start the dissociation and my own expectation is that we'll be able to control the point of dissociation (without a spark) by how much nitrous we add and when and at what point we cut the fuel - this will almost certainly require my Timed Direct Injection (TDI) system at this point. ;)

Now just increasing the pressure and nitrous quantity will mean that the reaction will start occurring prior to TDC, and get worse as the piston approaches TDC, therefore possibly stalling the piston altogether.
Not necessarily to a detrimental extent, not by looking at the graphs that are available so far, as it seems to take longer to get going but when it eventually does it results in much more energy release.

The nitrous would really need to be injected somewhere near TDC to get the reaction post TDC.
And if that turns out to be the case, as mentioned above I have that covered with my TDI system. :D

Another factor could also be residual heat. We know the heat generated by nitrous dissociation is very high, and the amount of pressure required will generate heat too, so will there come o point where the oxygen content actually ignites the engine components?
I'm pretty sure we're a long way from that point and I'm also pretty sure that the damage we see on high end engines now is NOT due to the heat of dissociation but the result of detonation of the fuel.

This certainly isnt going to be a straightforward bolt on for a petrol or even diesel engine, as i feel both of these would prove too fragile.
On the contrary, I'm CERTAIN that IF we can sustain 'auto-dissociation' without assistance from petrol, that the average race engine will be MORE THAN strong enough and my evidence for that, is that they handle some level of the dissociation fuelled detonation before they fail (which is far more destructive than 'auto-dissociation' alone and forced induction engines make far more power without component failure.

Looking at the logic, i feel perhaps, using just the SSID, this project is doomed to failure, as it will infact require my old favourite, the timed direct injection.But in the same breath, i also beleive we coul;d possibly gain a lot more knowledge of dissociation and nitrous use.
I believe it will work to some degree using SSI but I wouldn't like to guess what that level would be, other than to say I'm reasonably sure it will be to a worthwhile level, before it would NEED TDI to take it to the ultimate level.

Then again, what do i know? And by all accounts, if nothing was ever tried, we'd know nothing.
Succeed or fail, heres to some usefull results :D
That's what's so interesting about this (and what got my interest in nitrous in the first place), despite all the 'experts' (like Batty), the truth is VERY LITTLE is known and understood about how nitrous oxide ACTUALLY works and although I've learned a great deal about all aspect up to this mystical limit, we're now discussing the final frontier for nitrous technology. It is akin to when mankind first approached the speed of sound, etc. and I'm proud to be the first to not only consider it but hopefully actually do it. :yes: :yes:

I could be wrong and the engine will just stop when I cut the fuel supply (assuming I can detect the right point to do that) but at least I'll know for certain and I'll know from my own experience and NOT be quoting from what others 'may' have done, that was ONLY 'AKIN' to what I'm talking about, as is the case with the likes of Batty.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
suzook12 wrote:

There is still a chance (according one of the smart guys I'm talking to), that without the contribution made by the petrol, that we'll need the energy from a spark to kick start the dissociation and my own expectation is that we'll be able to control the point of dissociation (without a spark) by how much nitrous we add and when and at what point we cut the fuel - this will almost certainly require my Timed Direct Injection (TDI) system at this point. ;)

That was where i was coming from. So you're going to run as normal first on fuel then cut fuel when you think it may be self sustaining? Hmmmm, i think that may be more difficult initially than goin for dissociation powered from the off, only as the point where the fuel is cut must be extremely critical, get this wrong and melted pistons will be order of the day lol. I would also imagine that for race use, at the exact moment the fuel is cut, the nitrous delivery needs to increase dramatically to avoid any step down in power output.
If as you mentioned, it may require the spark to iniate the process, that could indeed be a bonus as we have good enough technology in this department. Firing voltages may need looking at to cope with pressure levels. Rim fire plugs could even be useful here, providing a larger arc front.
Now if the spark isnt required, then i beleive it will become a whole new ball game. Thats where i think it will be easier to achieve the goals by going for this from the outset rather than using normal combustion means first. Only because a piston engine designed to combust fuel will be a completely different beast to the one required here.
Either way, i will watch the reports with interest. Enjoy your challenge :D
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
That was where i was coming from. So you're going to run as normal first on fuel then cut fuel when you think it may be self sustaining?
That's the plan, as we need the engine to be hot to contribute to the factors required to cause the nitrous to auto-dissociate.

Hmmmm, i think that may be more difficult initially than goin for dissociation powered from the off,
I believe we're already reaching the point of auto-dissociation but I wouldn't know where to start trying to achieve that without petrol in the first place, so I think this is the easier route. I also believe that as long as the engine is running optimally up to the point of auto-dissociation, that a simple knock sensor will indicate when it starts and at that point we can just cut the fuel - simplez!!! 8)

only as the point where the fuel is cut must be extremely critical,
To some degree but as I stated before, engines do survive some degree of detonation, so it's just a matter of detecting the start of that as soon as possible.

get this wrong and melted pistons will be order of the day lol.
Actually I think the reverse is the case as it's my expectation that the dissociation process WITHOUT fuel will be more engine friendly than with the fuel present, because I'm now quite sure that the cause of the majority of high end engine failures is due to the dissociation causing the fuel to detonate, so if we get rid of the fuel we should unleash the full potential of the engine!!!!

I would also imagine that for race use, at the exact moment the fuel is cut, the nitrous delivery needs to increase dramatically to avoid any step down in power output.
The REVERSE may actually be the case, because at present there is a HUGE amount of extra heat being produced but it doesn't translate in to more power (as easily seen in the graphs) and it's my belief that the reason for that is the detonation, as detonation robs an engine of power due to the severity of the shock waves.

If as you mentioned, it may require the spark to iniate the process, that could indeed be a bonus as we have good enough technology in this department. Firing voltages may need looking at to cope with pressure levels. Rim fire plugs could even be useful here, providing a larger arc front.
Agreed it would be beneficial and there should be adequate options out there, assuming the original isn't up to the job, which a good MSD type ignition certainly should be.

Now if the spark isnt required, then i beleive it will become a whole new ball game. Thats where i think it will be easier to achieve the goals by going for this from the outset rather than using normal combustion means first. Only because a piston engine designed to combust fuel will be a completely different beast to the one required here.
I don't agree, as we're already achieving auto-dissociation with current engine designs, we just need to understand it better and control it - at the moment we've NO real understanding of what happens when we hit this brick wall - so understanding it better is the first step and then we can move forward from there.

Either way, i will watch the reports with interest. Enjoy your challenge :D
Will do especially as its the ongoing challenges that have been the main reason why I've been at this game so long already!!! ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:40 pm 
Learner

Hmmm, spose to some extent it depends how you read the graphs at the start of this thread.
Agreed, dissociation occurs at some level prior to combustion. But im not so certain the detonation is caused by detonation of the fuel as opposed to flash burn caused by oxygen enrichment owing to the dissociated nitrous. An oxygen enriched combustion is much more an uncontrolled explosion with massive heat output, and much accelerated compared to normal combustion.
Its also fair to say, without full gas analysis of the combustion chamber at the points around combustion, we'll never really know for certain. But i have a feeling we will be finding out one way or another very soon lol :D

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Hmmm, spose to some extent it depends how you read the graphs at the start of this thread.
Agreed, dissociation occurs at some level prior to combustion. But im not so certain the detonation is caused by detonation of the fuel as opposed to flash burn caused by oxygen enrichment owing to the dissociated nitrous. An oxygen enriched combustion is much more an uncontrolled explosion with massive heat output, and much accelerated compared to normal combustion.
That's pretty much one and the same thing and whichever way its described, the result is the same in that the combustion process is far more violent than is desirable and would be overcome by removing the fuel.
I'm still sticking to it being described best as 'detonation', because the damage it causes (as I've seen first hand a few times), is just that - detonation!!!!

Its also fair to say, without full gas analysis of the combustion chamber at the points around combustion, we'll never really know for certain. But i have a feeling we will be finding out one way or another very soon lol :D
I'd like to say it'll be soon but although I've now got my pot off, I'm not much more mobile, as my foot is still extremely swollen and 'sensitive', so I can't put any weight on it and it's still uncertain as to whether or not I'll need another op and if I did, that would set me back another couple of months.
However, as soon as is possible I will be doing whatever is required to learn as much about this matter as possible.

Steve

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:27 pm 
Learner

this thread almost makes me understand why nitrous works so well on high compression long rod engines....instead of the low compression engines that are the norm.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:41 pm 
Wizard

xclr82xtc wrote:
this thread almost makes me understand why nitrous works so well on high compression long rod engines....instead of the low compression engines that are the norm.

This thread is giving me a headache,the penalty for not being as clever as you number crunchers :blackeye: ...hey trev did i tell you removing the x10 filter makes my car go faster woohoo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 am 
Learner

Sorry to get all High school chemistry on this thread.. please bear with me people as this is quite a Topic to get my head around... :redface:

But am I right in stating that the breakdown of the chemical bonds -'dissociation' of N20 into its constituent parts- between the Oxygen and Nitrogen is an Exothermic reaction (releasing heat energy) which is transfered to the freed Nitrogen gas molecules causing them to become excited and expand, and it's this expansion that would give us the pressure/force down on the piston?

So this method would involve using the fuel/air conventionally to get the cylinder to a pre-determined set of conditions of (heat/pressure) and then phase in the N20..of which will break down, heat up the nitrogen (and the cylinder) allowing for further dissociation. i.e. A self sustaining reaction. You would no longer need the fuel and spark, just to flow the desired level of N20. :))) That's genious. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

That's about the size of it on both counts and if it's as easy to achieve, as you've made your assessment of my presentation sound, I'll be very surprised but also EXTREMELY HAPPY. :yes: :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:59 pm 
Wizard

This will be totally ground breaking if you can pull it off Tev.. It will forever alter the thinking of nitrous use.
Its almost akin to a hot air engine eh?? But the primary heat source will be internal and not external..

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 pm 
Learner

Ok so here's where I get lost a bit... The breaking of the chemical bonds is exothermic... but the rapid expansion of liquid to gaeous N20 (through injection) causes a reduction in thermal state of the cylinders contents..?? Or is this only up to a certain level of N20 injection after which combustion temps continue to rise??

So is the exothermic energy release of the N20 into Oxygen and Nitrogen large enough to a) Heat up the Nitrogen to do work leaving B) enough thermal energy to self sustain this reaction again and c) only achievable about a certain level of injection? Otherwise the cooling effect will -act like a graphite rod in a nuclear fission reactor -stop it propagating?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

It's far from a forgone conclusion and there's a long way to go to even be in a position to try this THEORY but we are making SOME progress towards being in that position, so I'll keep you all informed of any news on it as it happens.

The first step is to create the Semi Sealed Induction system, which Dave has drawn up for me in CAD and is currently being made ready to manufacture by my son-in-law Marty.
We then have 3 people eager to be the first to try the system on a Busa, so all we need then is to bring it all together on a suitable dyno with full engine analysis facilities, which so far is looking to be in Finland. :)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)