NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: To Purge or not to purge....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 am 
Learner

Or rather when ya need to purge or not, thats the question......

Just lately my bike running a 125 shot of gas has starting clipping earth straps on the colder plugs. Now at this point i dont purge, but reading on here somewhere that gaseous nitrous is more prone to det than liquid i guess ive hit the point where i need to purge as my start % is now around 40%. Its only happenin on first run of a meeting and the misfire starts more or less from the line, which makes me think its time to purge.....
Old FRED the 2nd, is a marvelous bit of kit but compared to Max, his youngest sibling, hes a bit limited, having only a single time based ramp, so to keep the ramp controllable i need a higher start %. Guess if i start purging now, then im gonna have to reduce this to compensate for the harder hit..... Who said drag racing was easy lol?

The obvious solution would be to get a max, but this far in to the season it isnt going to happen as will need rewire etc etc and just dont have the time right now, but for all you lucky guys with a max and gear based ramps.... lucky sods lol.

I suppose there must be a way of working out when purging is likely to be required, bedfore earth straps disappear? Anyone else come to this point?

Cheers
Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: To Purge or not to purge....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:37 am 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Just lately my bike running a 125 shot of gas has starting clipping earth straps on the colder plugs. Now at this point i dont purge, but reading on here somewhere that gaseous nitrous is more prone to det than liquid i guess ive hit the point where i need to purge
Although the logic based on the fact that, gaseous nitrous is more prone to det than liquid, SEEMS sound enough, I have the following comments to make;
1) I'm not aware of anyone else who has had such a problem and 99% of my customers haven't bothered to purge in over 35 years.
2) I'm also not aware of ANY customer who has damaged ANYTHING within the first 100 yds of the track (although an odd one or two may have done), as damage usually takes some time to 'develop' & show itself.
3) The logic you're suggesting MAY actually work in reverse, because the bigger the nitrous jet you use the GREATER the chance that liquid will reach the engine and it will certainly reach the engine sooner.
4) Using a small jet will feed the gaseous nitrous to the engine for a longer period of time, although there will be less of it per cycle over that time.

Personally I doubt that is the cause and to prove it you can do the following experiment;
1) Measure the time it takes for liquid nitrous to reach your Venom outlets
2) Set the Fred run time to exactly that time
3) Carry out a short test run.

If you are right, the electrode will be melted off, if you're wrong the plug will be fine.

The obvious solution would be to get a max, but this far in to the season it isnt going to happen as will need rewire etc etc and just dont have the time right now, but for all you lucky guys with a max and gear based ramps.... lucky sods lol.
Now and possibly for the next few months would be the best time to purchase a Max, as we're selling the Max V2s now and a few people are trading in the V1 to upgrade, so we'll have a few used Max V1s available on and off for the next few months.

I suppose there must be a way of working out when purging is likely to be required, bedfore earth straps disappear? Anyone else come to this point?
All dealt with above.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject: Re: To Purge or not to purge....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:08 am 
Learner

Ok, so the only other probable cause then that i can think of, is starting so high up the ramp has unsettled things and maybe the timing needs retarding a bit sooner? Seeing as gas starts on a theoretical 50bhp, with 40 BTDC timing, this is also a probability aggravated by the gaseous nitrous/air mix of the first run of the weekend.
Actually thinking about it.... First run, nitrous to solenoid line = air/gaseous nitrous mix, fuel lines purged..... Hmmm maybe theres the answer? Too much fuel before gas lines purge themselves? What ya reckon? It doesnt do it any other time, and bottle normally changed out every 2nd run BUT the only time fuel gets purged is that first run

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????