Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Interesting data log of REVO assisted bike EGT's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Any observations welcome. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Interesting data log of REVO assisted bike EGT's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:30 pm 
Learner

I have no idea if it's relevant as there is no log of a run without nitrous but from what I can see here (from very much a layman's view) is that the EGT's seem to be more constant across all 4 cylinders once on nitrous opposed to early in the log being very irregular save for 2 cylinders.

Whether that is of any significance is beyond me, just my observation....lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

EXACTLY the observation I wanted and if it's obvious to a novice, then hopefully the 'experts' will appreciate the HUGE implications this has, because when using ANY other brand of nitrous kit THE REVERSE IS THE CASE!!!! :twisted:

I'm trying to access other data logs from a couple of other high end customers, who have reported the same kinds of results and I'll be posting those ASAP, because the more examples I have of this phenomena the more indisputably the conclusion will be.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 am 
Learner

Yay!!!...for me :bow:

Oh...and I'm guessing it's good for you too by your post above....lol :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 am 
Wizard

What was this on? A 4 pot or half a v8 with 4 egt's ? - I would like to know the piston and exhaust layout and what nitrous setup (DP or single point)

I personally would expect some variance when the engine is just ticking over prior to the start as at low revs there is probably a slight mix difference due to the low fuel volumes used giving more variance (leaner being hotter). There also could be some feed back from the pipes that are being cooled unevenly. Then when the throttle is opened any heat in the tubing would negligible in the volume of gas from the engine and there is much more fuel being used which would bring the egt's into line.

I would like to see a datalog from a non nitrous run. Certainly the cylinders are burning evenly and it is showing a good even distribution of fuel and nitrous. The EGT's would be uneven if the distribution of fuel or nitrous was off.

Once what appears to be the run has started (looking at the revs) before the nitrous is started the EGT's are already stabilizing and are not at much more variance than later on. The smaller injection of nitrous certainly does cool the exhaust but when the large hit of nitrous starts then the EGT starts to climb. I am assuming there is an ignition cut or something for the 4th to 5th gear shift and this lets unburnt fuel and nitrous through which again cools the exhaust. The shift to 6th is accompanied by more nitrous which raises the EGt's and starts to show a more uneven temperature.

From this a modest hit of nitrous certainly cools the exhaust.

Fixing issues one support call at a time.......
AKA Blue / IT Rabbit Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Admin

rapidblue wrote:
What was this on?
The nitrous standing start world record holding Busa from Finland

A 4 pot or half a v8 with 4 egt's ? - I would like to know the piston and exhaust layout
Conventional 4 pot

and what nitrous setup (DP or single point)
Pro Series REVO (dry)

I personally would expect some variance when the engine is just ticking over prior to the start as at low revs there is probably a slight mix difference due to the low fuel volumes used giving more variance (leaner being hotter). There also could be some feed back from the pipes that are being cooled unevenly. Then when the throttle is opened any heat in the tubing would negligible in the volume of gas from the engine and there is much more fuel being used which would bring the egt's into line.
On a Motec controlled fuel injected engine I wouldn't expect to see much variance in the above respects.

I would like to see a datalog from a non nitrous run.
Hopefully on its way soon.

Certainly the cylinders are burning evenly and it is showing a good even distribution of fuel and nitrous. The EGT's would be uneven if the distribution of fuel or nitrous was off.
Exactly

Once what appears to be the run has started (looking at the revs) before the nitrous is started the EGT's are already stabilizing and are not at much more variance than later on. The smaller injection of nitrous certainly does cool the exhaust but when the large hit of nitrous starts then the EGT starts to climb. I am assuming there is an ignition cut or something for the 4th to 5th gear shift and this lets unburnt fuel and nitrous through which again cools the exhaust. The shift to 6th is accompanied by more nitrous which raises the EGt's and starts to show a more uneven temperature.

From this a modest hit of nitrous certainly cools the exhaust.
I don't think we can be certain of any of those assessments until we see a NA run.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 pm 
Learner

Would be interesting to see AFR plotted against this as well as considering the rise in nitrous 5th-6th, it seems to take an awful lot longer to rev out in 6th, so maybe its possible gone very rich at this point?

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:36 am 
Site Admin

suzook12 wrote:
Would be interesting to see AFR plotted against this as well as considering the rise in nitrous 5th-6th, it seems to take an awful lot longer to rev out in 6th, so maybe its possible gone very rich at this point?

Steve

The AFR was PERFECT THROUGHOUT the run :yes: and as the bike is intended for land speed records and geared for in excess of 240 mph, I'd expect that to be the reason for the slower acceleration in top gear. ;)

If the customer gives me the go ahead, I hope to be posting some even more impressive information (data logs), in the not too distant future.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)