NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Attempt at UK 1/4 Mile record 2011.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:00 pm 
Learner

I'd have thought with all the money chucked at the nitrous system a set of drag radials at the very least would be an idea & maybe even a safety feature!

Bill

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Drag racing isn't Brett's main interest and he doesn't take any of the performance thing as 'seriously' as you young guns. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:45 pm 

Noswizard wrote:
Drag racing isn't Brett's main interest and he doesn't take any of the performance thing as 'seriously' as you young guns. ;)

Hi All :)

Trev is right as usual lol...

There is an assumption here on this site that Nitrous is "just" for Drag Racing...

I have totally the opposite view for various reasons, primarily because I used to be a Top Fuel crew cheif so have run engines and cars that ran 5`s.... which I am never going to beat with my little old daily driver lol...

So my attitude is that Nitrous has many uses other than drag racing... Top Speed runs...daily driver etc etc...

As an example, the effect of bringing in say 600 hp of WON Nitrous when my 928 gets to around 140 mph has to be felt to be believed :)

Perfect and utterly smooth power....its extremely addictive... plus I can enjoy it for MUCH longer than anyone who drags can....hence the reason for my twin 15lb bottles lol.

Its not unusual for me to run under Nitrous for 2 or 3 MILES.... now thats huge fun :) :)

Lets put it this way, as far as using my 928 as a daily driver plus WON Nitrous, I have NEVER found ANY car on the road that can beat me at ANY speed (up to 70 mph of course) :)

That statement includes many many "supercars"...

So although I hold a Uk drag record , and a UK Top Speed record for 928`s , I would never bother with slicks as an example as all I have to do is turn up the power on the REVO/MAXX and I can beat my own record, without slicks, but unless someone beats my record I may not bother, or I may lol, depending on my mood :)

Trev is also right about my right foot lol, when I do run the 1/4, although I know I could probably beat my record with only a couple of hundred hp, its MUCH more fun with a lot more lol :)

All in all my WON Nitrous gives me a huge amount of fun on both quarters and top speed and as a daily driver, and it relaxes me from my businesses.

When I went up to Doncaster to Won recently for the latest MAXX Race version 2, I said its "like being on my holidays" and it is lol... a great bunch of people who indulge me in the way I like to run my car and help me set it up the way I like it, now that may not be the way a drag purist would do it, but it works for me :)

All the best Brett :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:23 pm 
Learner

How did you get on?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:09 pm 

WackyRacer wrote:
How did you get on?

Hi :)

The event was cancelled due to "lack of support" :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:56 am 
Learner

My view is the same as yours Brett but I just like having the WON to suprise people.

A lot of people have a very uneducated view of the Puma, it can hold it's own with some of the very best cars round the twisties which suprises a lot of people but it's very lacking in power so acceleration is mediocre at best.

Everytime I hit WOT and leave some tailgating idiot behind and see his confused look it makes it worth every penny I spend on it yet 99% of the time I'm running a standard car which is exactly how I want it and thus why I went the nitrous route.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:53 pm 
Wizard

Talking of tyres!!

I've just thought about tyres at high speed?? Are Bretts tyres ok at 200+ mph??

i've seen some vids recently of tyres letting go at high speed.

It surprising how we sometimes forget the basics isnt it??

I took my Fiat up to 150mph recently. I never even thought about the speed rating of my tyres. But i wil check this tomorrow. They are Eagle F1 tyres. I havent got a clue what they are rated to ??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 pm 
Wizard

billb wrote:
I'd have thought with all the money chucked at the nitrous system a set of drag radials at the very least would be an idea & maybe even a safety feature!
Bill

A set of road legal drag tyres may be a lot better than the tyres Brett is running now eh?? Better grip and speed rating ??

I'm now worried about my own tyres on the Fiat???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm 
Learner

Gutted :tard:

Brett, besides WON NOS is your car otherwise stock?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 pm 

mgbv8 wrote:
Talking of tyres!!

I've just thought about tyres at high speed?? Are Bretts tyres ok at 200+ mph??

i've seen some vids recently of tyres letting go at high speed.

It surprising how we sometimes forget the basics isnt it??

I took my Fiat up to 150mph recently. I never even thought about the speed rating of my tyres. But i wil check this tomorrow. They are Eagle F1 tyres. I havent got a clue what they are rated to ??

Hi Pel :)

As I said once in one of my posts about Top Speed runs, I looked and researched everything, including speed ratings for tyres...

I run what are called 99Y tyres which are rated for 186 mph plus...

What that means in practice is that they will run happily at a sustained speed of 186 mph and can run at speeds above that but they wont guarantee them for "sustained speed"

For my safety (which I am quite hot on) they are the best I can get without going for Veyron type tyres which do not come in my size , although I am sure they would happily make some for me at a huge cost (I would think £1000 plus per tyre)

Not sure about drag tyres speed rating though as for a "road car" it didnt seem relevant to me at the time..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:54 pm 
Learner

Brett928S2 wrote:
For my safety (which I am quite hot on) they are the best I can get without going for Veyron type tyres which do not come in my size , although I am sure they would happily make some for me at a huge cost (I would think £1000 plus per tyre)
It would be nice at that price - I think a set of Veyron tyres is around £25k, so special size sets would require one-off tooling and probably cost you £100k a set!

Still, before needing those tyres you'd probably need to spend the same sort of figure on engine, propshaft, halfshafts, clutch, gearbox, diff et all to take 1300bhp if you really wind the system up that high.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:36 am 
Learner

The Pirelli P Zero (the hero) is speed rated up to 370 km/h. It`s also relatively light due to the use of carbon fiber materials and such to handle the centrifugal forces at high speeds.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:51 pm 
Learner

How much power were you running on your PB mph of 113mph?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:40 am 

greeny wrote:

From memory (a while ago now, and im ancient lol) I think around 350 of WON Nitrous and another 350 of Porsche power lol....

So around 700 ish in total but it was an old airfield made of sectionalised conrete with the worst traction I had ever seen , so to get ANY traction at all I had to dial in a 2 second delay on the MAXX.... maybe a little too much delay, but I achieved my object to take the 928 UK record and drove home :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 pm 
Learner

Brett928S2 wrote:
greeny wrote:

From memory (a while ago now, and im ancient lol) I think around 350 of WON Nitrous and another 350 of Porsche power lol....

So around 700 ish in total but it was an old airfield made of sectionalised conrete with the worst traction I had ever seen , so to get ANY traction at all I had to dial in a 2 second delay on the MAXX.... maybe a little too much delay, but I achieved my object to take the 928 UK record and drove home :)

Congrats on the record, and driving home afterwards is always a bonus!

But...........and please don't take this the wrong way!

Im guessing your car weighs somewhere around the 1500kg mark? (from a quick google search).

To be running 113mph terminals i would guess (a rough guess!) that your car was only making around half of what you think you were running, circa 350-400 hp.

Even with a good amount of wheelspin, with a 1500kg/700 hp car you should be trapping 130+++mph and be mid - low 11's with traction!

Wheelspin will kill E/T, but definately won't kill the terminal speed by that much. I've black tracked most of the 1/4 myself and the terminal speed was only a few mph off.

Again, please don't take it the wrong way, but you need to get your car on a dyno and find out why its not running anywhere the power you think it should be.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:28 pm 

greeny wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:
greeny wrote:

Congrats on the record, and driving home afterwards is always a bonus!

But...........and please don't take this the wrong way!

Im guessing your car weighs somewhere around the 1500kg mark? (from a quick google search).

To be running 113mph terminals i would guess (a rough guess!) that your car was only making around half of what you think you were running, circa 350-400 hp.

Even with a good amount of wheelspin, with a 1500kg/700 hp car you should be trapping 130+++mph and be mid - low 11's with traction!

Wheelspin will kill E/T, but definately won't kill the terminal speed by that much. I've black tracked most of the 1/4 myself and the terminal speed was only a few mph off.

Again, please don't take it the wrong way, but you need to get your car on a dyno and find out why its not running anywhere the power you think it should be.

:)

My car weighs well over 1700 kg ...and its set up for high speed runs....big wheels, tall tyres and diff etc and its an auto....

My car is not a 1/4 miler and was never intended to be so, it has two functions, 1, daily driver 2, Top speed runs....

To that end with Trevs fantastic WON Nitrous , I have taken both the Porsche UK top speed record (208.1 mph) and the UK 928 1/4 mile record.

Thats precisely what I intended to do, nothing more...I dont NEED to run any faster on the 1/4 as I already hold the record and I am a little too ancient to be bothered by bragging rights lol :)

If anyone beats my UK records I may just wind up the MAXX a little and take them back, or I may not bother, its a little hard to explain to someone younger but IF i want to I will but I dont HAVE to....

To be honest I get as much fun by going out every morning (daily driver) and hearing thta HUGE V8 rumble into life and climbing in and driving off to my Office as I do taking records :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 am 
Learner

Brett928S2 wrote:

My car weighs well over 1700 kg ...and its set up for high speed runs....big wheels, tall tyres and diff etc and its an auto....

My car is not a 1/4 miler and was never intended to be so, it has two functions, 1, daily driver 2, Top speed runs....

To that end with Trevs fantastic WON Nitrous , I have taken both the Porsche UK top speed record (208.1 mph) and the UK 928 1/4 mile record.

Thats precisely what I intended to do, nothing more...I dont NEED to run any faster on the 1/4 as I already hold the record and I am a little too ancient to be bothered by bragging rights lol :)

If anyone beats my UK records I may just wind up the MAXX a little and take them back, or I may not bother, its a little hard to explain to someone younger but IF i want to I will but I dont HAVE to....

To be honest I get as much fun by going out every morning (daily driver) and hearing thta HUGE V8 rumble into life and climbing in and driving off to my Office as I do taking records :)

That's fair enough :yes:

But even at 1700 kg with 700hp you should be running 130mph+ ( i was being conservative above :mrgreen: )

I understand that's its setup for top speed runs, but still the terminals should be up there, and no-where near 113mph.

As i said, don't take any offence, but it's obvious from the terminal off 113mph, that you're no-where near the 700hp that you think you are, which is why i reccomended to get it on a dyno to see whats wrong with it :yes:

You think it's fast now, imagine how fast it'l feel when you find where those missing horses are!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:30 am 

greeny wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:

That's fair enough :yes:

But even at 1700 kg with 700hp you should be running 130mph+ ( i was being conservative above :mrgreen: )

I understand that's its setup for top speed runs, but still the terminals should be up there, and no-where near 113mph.

As i said, don't take any offence, but it's obvious from the terminal off 113mph, that you're no-where near the 700hp that you think you are, which is why i reccomended to get it on a dyno to see whats wrong with it :yes:

You think it's fast now, imagine how fast it'l feel when you find where those missing horses are!

Loll...its a huge amount over that 700 figure....on that run I had to dial in a 2 SECOND delay to the MAXX as the concrete surface was so appalling :)

We are not taking the Pod here... we are talking an old concrete sectionalised runway on a WW11 airfiled...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:13 am 
Learner

Brett928S2 wrote:

Loll...its a huge amount over that 700 figure....on that run I had to dial in a 2 SECOND delay to the MAXX as the concrete surface was so appalling :)

We are not taking the Pod here... we are talking an old concrete sectionalised runway on a WW11 airfiled...

That's my point, the terminals suggest you're no where near that power figure, and the terminals don't lie :)

Even with bad traction your terminal would be well over 113mph with 700+ hp!

Put it on a dyno, and I think you'll be surprised/dissapointed.

You can't claim that power with that terminal :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:46 pm 

greeny wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:

That's my point, the terminals suggest you're no where near that power figure, and the terminals don't lie :)

You still do not understand... :)

I dont HAVE to claim any power... I took the record...thats enough for me...

If you wish you could always buy a 928 put a WON system on it and beat my record....

The standard 928 time is 15.6 by the way....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:13 pm 
Learner

Brett928S2 wrote:
greeny wrote:
Brett928S2 wrote:

You still do not understand... :)

I dont HAVE to claim any power... I took the record...thats enough for me...

If you wish you could always buy a 928 put a WON system on it and beat my record....

The standard 928 time is 15.6 by the way....

I understand perfecty ;)

U don't "have" to claim any power, but you HAVE claimed it was running 700+hp to run 113mph in a 1700kg car, which doesn't make sense.....which is my point.

It's just something that didn't make sense, so thought i'd ask and make my point that it's not running the power that you think it is acccording to terminal speeds......

Regardless, i'l say no more :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:20 pm 
Wizard

Come on Brett!!

You know that eventually you will fit some stock size slicks and run that Mutha flat out on the 1/4mile to trash that old record of yours. In fact!! Dont fit Slicks. They wont be road legal will they. Fit a pair of DOT marked Drag Radials. I used Road legal BFG Drag radials a few years back and they were great after a couple of good burnouts. They hooked up just like slicks. And they were great on the road as well as the side walls are quite stiff.

I reckon you could knock well over a second off that record of yours in road legal trim :idea:

I'm hosting a very large club area at the retro show this year on July 1st. It would be great if you could bring the car along to show it off.

There will be MG's from all years from a 1950's Magnette (200mph Boneville build in progress) to MGB's, Midgets, MGF's and TF's + a load of V8 cars of all kinds + a methanol slingshot + a host of other WoN powered cars at least 5-8 very special nostalgia Drag Racing V8 boys from back in the day. Some of them powered by WoN from the 70's and 80's ???

The Retro Show is mainly for vehicles 1980 and older. But they have added a "non retro" class as well. So basically anyone can race :)

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO... GO ON !!! :yes:

Pel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm 

mgbv8 wrote:
Come on Brett!!

You know that eventually you will fit some stock size slicks and run that Mutha flat out on the 1/4mile to trash that old record of yours. In fact!! Dont fit Slicks. They wont be road legal will they. Fit a pair of DOT marked Drag Radials. I used Road legal BFG Drag radials a few years back and they were great after a couple of good burnouts. They hooked up just like slicks. And they were great on the road as well as the side walls are quite stiff.

I reckon you could knock well over a second off that record of yours in road legal trim :idea:

I'm hosting a very large club area at the retro show this year on July 1st. It would be great if you could bring the car along to show it off.

There will be MG's from all years from a 1950's Magnette (200mph Boneville build in progress) to MGB's, Midgets, MGF's and TF's + a load of V8 cars of all kinds + a methanol slingshot + a host of other WoN powered cars at least 5-8 very special nostalgia Drag Racing V8 boys from back in the day. Some of them powered by WoN from the 70's and 80's ???

The Retro Show is mainly for vehicles 1980 and older. But they have added a "non retro" class as well. So basically anyone can race :)

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO... GO ON !!! :yes:

Pel

Hi Perry :)

I may well come to your do...

I must admit I have been looking for a pair of rear 16 inch wheels (like I had originally) with the idea of putting a set of road legal drag radials on....

I think someone said that they are about to become illegal due to some stupid EU law ???

If I found a pair of 16 x 7or 8 wheels.... what size drag radials would I need and where would I buy them ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:40 pm 
Wizard

Heres one option you have mate!!

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/stri ... e=SS&bnr=y

Have a trawl through the MT website and look at BFG too.

I only use MT's and I get them brought in by Hauser racing. I'm sure John Webster will bring them in as well. The beauty of buying your drag tyres from these guys is that they come in on regular container deliveries they have from the USA so you dont get stung for shipping :)

Last year I was desperate for new tyres and got a great price from Jeggs. But the shipping for quick delivery was more than the tyres cost :shock:

Pel