NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: back to basics.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 am 
Learner

using the image below, which method more resembles what actually happens when the molecules split. does it all stay evenly mixed like the first, or does the nitrogen (or oxygen) scatter to the outside. im wondering if molecular weights, might have an affect on this. oxgen is heavier than nitrogen there for a split should "throw" the nitrogen further. when you use n2o do you split in into 3 seperate atoms or do you only seperate the oxygen away from the nitrogen. can you possibly add MORE nitrogen to the mix (to more replicate air) by perhaps putting a string of nitrogen molecules in the fuel.. perhaps these molecules could be structred to break off when chilled...(just a thought) anyways.. trying to get back to basics for a minute.. even though i know none of this is basic..

lastly.. do you think its possible that nitrous is "to clean?" air is made up of mainly n2 o2 and many many trace elements..carbon dioxide (more oxgen there) water vapor ( cooling effect, steam pressure, hydrogen and oxygen there) maybe we should dirty up our nitrous a bit? lol.. basically what this boils down to is why can turbos make more power with less oxygen? trev and i talked about the cooling affect on fuel, and the boost factor, but is it JUST the boost? turbos HAVE to boost to come anywhere close to the amount of oxygen we put in with nitrous. id like to figure out what that point is, use some good math, and compare turbo to nitrous and see which one makes more horsepower if both are putting the same amount if oxygen into the engine.

here is the pic from first sentence

Attachments:
Which Way.png
Which Way.png [ 22.39 KiB | Viewed 15308 times ]

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: back to basics.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 am 
Learner

i think the oxygen "grouping" like that could also explain why o2 fuels work SO much better with nitrous. if an o2 adds 10hp to an engine, why then does it change a 50 shot to a 70 shot?? i know o2 fuels put more o2 in the cylinder but i think the even distribution is more of the contributing factor. again..just throwing it out there.. discussion topics i guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:00 am 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
using the image below, which method more resembles what actually happens when the molecules split.
I wouldn't like to guess but as it happens in an INSTANT and as part of the combustion process, I don't think it would have any impact on the outcome whatever it does.

does it all stay evenly mixed like the first,
I would expect it to stay evenly mixed (ASSUMING it was evenly mixed in the first place - which is unlikely) for that BRIEF INSTANT it occurs.

or does the nitrogen (or oxygen) scatter to the outside.
I doubt the oxygen would have time to move anywhere, before it was consumed by the flame and then the nitrogen would be directed by the force of combustion.

im wondering if molecular weights, might have an affect on this.
I can't see there being anywhere near adequate time for anything like that to happen.

oxgen is heavier than nitrogen there for a split should "throw" the nitrogen further. when you use n2o do you split in into 3 seperate atoms or do you only seperate the oxygen away from the nitrogen.
From high tech reports I've read its been 'proposed' that there is a VERY BRIEF transient stage where Oxygen exists as a single atom, before it bonds to another to become O2, so if that is correct it splits in to 3 VERY BRIEFLY.

can you possibly add MORE nitrogen to the mix (to more replicate air) by perhaps putting a string of nitrogen molecules in the fuel.. perhaps these molecules could be structred to break off when chilled...(just a thought) anyways.. trying to get back to basics for a minute.. even though i know none of this is basic..
That's was the other limiting factor that I was trying to remember when we talked earlier, 'the lack of nitrogen' and the way I'm most confident of solving that problem is with fuel 'choice'. I don't want to say more than that at this time on the open forum but I'll tell you it all the next time we speak on the phone.

lastly.. do you think its possible that nitrous is "to clean?" air is made up of mainly n2 o2 and many many trace elements..carbon dioxide (more oxgen there) water vapor ( cooling effect, steam pressure, hydrogen and oxygen there) maybe we should dirty up our nitrous a bit? lol.. basically what this boils down to is why can turbos make more power with less oxygen?
They DO NOT make more power from LESS oxygen (that would be IMPOSSIBLE), what they do is get MORE oxygen INTO THE CYLINDERS, due to the positive force they generate. Unfortunately the positive force nitrous has, is 'AT PRESENT' actually DETRIMENTAL to cylinder filling, because the force is so high that it causes MASSIVE REVERSION as it bounces off the closed inlet valves.

What is needed to get more nitrous in the cylinder and therefore more oxygen than a turbo, is to REVERSE the negative effect of the IMMENSE force that nitrous is delivered at (which we do to a degree with our Discharge Tube location) and that will be achieved by our Semi Sealed Induction System (SSIS).
The SSIS will shut off the intake system when it senses reversed intake flow pulses, which will not only STOP the loss of the intake charge and remove the current primary limiting factor of a nitrous motor but it will also allow us to achieve a positive manifold pressure, which will allow us to cram in as much nitrous as we want. Unlike a turbo, a nitrous boosted SSIS engine will be able to make far higher boost levels, as we have approx. 1,000 psi available and even allowing for losses and flow limitation for a given power level, I'm reasonably confident that we'll be able to achieve more boost than a turbo. :twisted:

For anyone who is not aware of our SSIS, there is a thread with more details elsewhere in this section and we are half way to having a prototype made to fit a Busa motor, which we hope to have finished long before the end of the year.
:twisted: :twisted:

trev and i talked about the cooling affect on fuel, and the boost factor, but is it JUST the boost? turbos HAVE to boost to come anywhere close to the amount of oxygen we put in with nitrous. id like to figure out what that point is, use some good math, and compare turbo to nitrous and see which one makes more horsepower if both are putting the same amount if oxygen into the engine.
If you took a turbo engine and a nitrous engine and fed them with EXACTLY the same amount of oxygen, the nitrous motor SHOULD make more power, due to the EXOTHERMIC decomposition of the nitrous oxide. If it was ONLY down to the amount of oxygen and there was NO exothermic decomposition, the nitrous motor would probably still make more power, because it would have a more free flowing exhaust.

That said, the factor you're overlooking JC, is that in THEORY AT LEAST, an engines power is PRIMARILY DETERMINED by how much OXYGEN (in whatever form it is delivered) it is fed with, so excluding ALL the factors I've just mentioned, BOTH engines would make THE SAME POWER FROM THE SAME AMOUNT OF OXYGEN - IN THEORY!!!
;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:03 am 
Site Admin

xclr82xtc wrote:
i think the oxygen "grouping" like that could also explain why o2 fuels work SO much better with nitrous. if an o2 adds 10hp to an engine, why then does it change a 50 shot to a 70 shot?? i know o2 fuels put more o2 in the cylinder but i think the even distribution is more of the contributing factor. again..just throwing it out there.. discussion topics i guess.

I've not looked in to any of the above but my immediate reaction is that it would take some serious R&D to come to an adequate explanation for that, if indeed that is the case.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 pm 
Learner

Another factor to be taken into account is the flame speed difference between a turbo and a nitrous motor and the heat output of the combustion.
A turbo motor uses a fixed oygen/nitrogen content in its charge, only the density being affected by intake temps but the flame speed will only vary according to how hard you squeeze the charge. Whereas a nitrous motor will have a varying oxygen/nitrogen ratio (assuming progressive hit) untill it reaches its fixed level of 30/70 but then we are squeezing the charge as well so flame speed is still increasing and combustion temps will be raising considerably higher than the turbo's.

Its highly possibly that some form of nitrogen correction to levels above that of air may be neccessary to combat flame speed at the potential boost levels possible with a sealed intake and maybe a twin fuel system.

As with most things, i think the real limiting factor will be expense as with most things in life. Everything has a point of non financial viability and i beleive that will always be reached before any other theoretical limitation

Steve

Is it possible to own too many hammers????

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:48 am 
Site Admin

Luckily I don't care how much it costs me to prove a point, so I will find the limits and solve the problems to achieve even higher limits, for as long as life suits me that way. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)