NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:28 pm 
Wizard

yeah, the nitrous at the right pressure seems to qipe the floor with turbos and S/C's giving the same power output. It's probably the insane extra torque that does the damage i guess (damage to the competitors of course, DUH! :P )

I'd reccommend the fidanza flywheel too. With that the nitrous seems to have a better effect than when i used to use it last time around.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:46 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got a story even crazier than that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a customer come to my place with a racing hovercraft in the depths of a snow covered winter many years ago.

It didn't have any electrics so we fitted a cable operated system but we didn't have a cable long enough to connect it from the bars to the location near the engine.

The guy was desperate to experience what the nitrous was going to do before he took it away and begged me to ride on the back (these are single seater vehicles by the way), while he drove it across an open field (covered in snow) in the pitch dark, so I could operate the manual nitrous valve.

Reluctantly I agreed and off we went.

Now I'd never seen one of these things before and I've never been too concerned about stopping whatever I've driven, because I've been overly dedicated to making them quicker, so it didn't enter my head to wonder how they stop those things.

Anyway we're charging across the snow covered field at about 60 mph and he gives me the nudge to hit the gas. The thing shot off and all was good in the world till all of a sudden he screams at me to shut it off and then slings out the anchor. Well that's my technical term :lol: for how they slow them down but what they actually do is spin them through 180 degrees whilst also tipping them side ways, neither of which I was prepared for. :lol:

The 180 about face is for the fan to blow in the reverse direction and the tip is to get rid of the air cushion and produce drag but because I wasn't prepared for either and I wasn't holding on to the driver, I went head first into the snow (only managing to hold myself inside the thing with my finger tips) and ploughed my own furrow as it ground to a halt.

Now that was bad enough but the guy was so pleased with the result, that he wanted another go and nobody else would take my place, so I had to do it again, this time however I was prepared and avoided the side exit. :lol: :lol:

I've had a number of similar zany experiences, like one I had on the first ever 3 wheeled ATC I'd ever seen and gassed, have you ever tried to steer one of those without being told how, especially at speed with an oncoming truck heading towards you????

Then there was the off road V8 Range Rover with 2 stages of nitrous, a total of 650 bhp and a loony behind the wheel (no not me, the guy who owned and raced it), that I unwisely took the passenger seat in. I don't think even off road vehicles are adequately modified to handle rolls and pirouettes and I certainly wasn't!!!! :lol: :lol:

Like I said all crazy stuff but I lived to tell the tale - unfortunately for some - :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Regards

Jesus, that's some story!!!

Yes, this is back from the DEAD as this story is hilarious!!!!! :omgrofl: :omgrofl: :omgrofl:

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on warming a bottle up pls
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:57 am 
Site Admin

It's one of MANY similarly crazy stories, like this one;

A customer from the island of Madeira asked me to go over and fit, test and tune a system to his World Rally car. Unwittingly I agreed and all went well with the fitting, so we moved on to the testing. I suggested finding a straight section of flat road but those are few and far between on Madeira, so the customer decided he'd test it on the SHORT, STEEP, WINDING CLIFF roads that climb from sea level up to above cloud level.
Now that wouldn't have been so bad for one or two stretches and if the car had a passenger seat but as it didn't have a seat (and therefore no seatbelt), I had to effectively hang like a monkey from the roll cage, while he drove the car flat out (drifting round the corners) from the bottom to top.

I have to say it was one of the most exciting experiences I've ever had, as for some crazy reason I felt confident that he wouldn't overdo it and go hurtling down the cliff side. It was just lucky for me that he managed to stay on the road during testing, as he overdid it in his first race and wrote the car off.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:33 pm 
Wizard

LOL so he had it all under control during testing and then lost it when it really counted! Well it's a good thing that it didn't happen when you were being bounced around in that tin can!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

That's about the size of it. He was a GREAT driver and I didn't feel at risk at all, despite being flat out on roads with sheer drops and big trees lining them.
It was extremely unfortunate that he crashed the car, as he would have won his class for certain, as nitrous is outlawed in World Rally, so nobody else would have been using it.

Such a shame that nitrous is outlawed in the majority of motor sports (due to TOTAL IGNORANCE), as WON nitrous systems would enhance them all.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:08 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
That's about the size of it. He was a GREAT driver and I didn't feel at risk at all, despite being flat out on roads with sheer drops and big trees lining them.
It was extremely unfortunate that he crashed the car, as he would have won his class for certain, as nitrous is outlawed in World Rally, so nobody else would have been using it.

Such a shame that nitrous is outlawed in the majority of motor sports (due to TOTAL IGNORANCE), as WON nitrous systems would enhance them all.

It IS a TOTAL SHAME as it would then require even MORE strategy for WHEN to and how to use it for the race teams therefore, INCREASING the competitiveness of the sport. Image F1 on the lovely nectar or the 24 hours of LeMans... you'd see some REAL clever strategies develop!

BTW, my eyes are popping out of my skull because I'm gathering as much info as I can from the 55 pages of this forum section... it's a hell of a task for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Couldn't agree more to the F1 comment and glad to hear you are still soaking up the knowledge available on the forum.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:24 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Couldn't agree more to the F1 comment and glad to hear you are still soaking up the INVALUABLE knowledge available on the forum.

Fixed 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:31 am 
Site Admin

8) :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)