NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: What NOT to do when buying a used nitrous kit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE THIS POST WAS MADE WAS 2007 and therefore the prices in it are out of date

We had a customer return us a pair of Pulsoids (that he'd bought 2nd hand), for servicing.

When they arrived it was obvious they'd been badly neglected and abused, so we were expecting the worst.

After an hour or two trying to dismantle the fuel Pulsoid (it normally takes just 5 mins), I eventually had to machine out the retainer because someone had taken it apart previously and re-assembled it using a bucket full of super strength Loctite.

Once apart it was obvious that the seat had been over adjusted and screwed up through the plunger seal which prevented the solenoid from opening and it even had the cut out section of the seat material plugging the outlet seat. Consequently fuel could never have made it's way through the Pulsoid.

ALL the internal parts needed renewing and re-testing at a cost of £70 so we were concerned that the customer would be upset at the price being so much more than the basic service price of just £25. However when we called him up to discuss the state of the Pulsoid, he informed us that he'd just destroyed his engine after using the second hand system without first having it checked and this had cost him £10,000 so another £70 was no big deal.

Now I guess he's been ripped off being charged that much, unless it was a Ferrari or something but the lesson are;

1) Why risk damaging an expensive engine buying a cheap or used nitrous kit.
2) Even if the used kit doesn't kill your engine, the difference in features that our new systems offer over our old ones, make it worth buying the new system.
3) If you must buy a used kit, at least send it to us to be serviced BEFORE you put your engine at risk by using a potentially faulty system.
4) By so doing it will cost you no more than £50 for the pair (unless they are in need of some new parts) and it could save you many 1,000s of £££s

It should be remembered that second hand WON systems retain a better resale value because they are much longer lasting, therefore the potential problems listed above are ten fold worse when considering a used US brand kit like NOS, NX, Cold Fusion, Ny-Trex, Dyno-Tune, Zex, etc.

A couple of final points that should be kept in mind when deciding what to purchase are;
1) ALL WON components of a nitrous system offer advantages over US brands and that even includes the bottle. WON bottles are legal to fill in Europe (US brands are NOT) and WON bottle valves are vastly superior to US brands, as well as having our unique Safe Pressure Relief Valve.

2) We are constantly improving ALL our component designs and in most cases the difference in price between a serviced and/or upgraded system and a new system is negligible, therefore it makes far more sense to buy new.

I hope this helps others to avoid such expensive situations.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Last edited by Noswizard on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:55 am 
Wizard

Hi I'm new to this site and N2O.

Having bought a used WON wet kit I would definately advocate at least testing it for correct operation as I discovered my gas solenoid leaks. I'm sure most of you know the implications of gas in a non-running engine! (Manifold into outer space if you're lucky?)

Perhaps the £10 grand included compensation for the satellite he brought down? :lol:

Seriously though, why would someone skimp on a used kit and then be happy to pay £10 grand for an engine rebuild :?:

Before you think I'm as mad as him, my car isn't worth much at all so I'm happy to take the risk once the leak has been fixed. £25 for a service is a tank full of fuel to me! 8)

Post subject: Re: What NOT to do when buying a used nitrous kit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:59 pm 
Wizard

I've bought 3 sets 2nd hand,the "newest" were the worst,damaged seat dodgy replacement(read diy)fuel seal.

Buell 1125r 9.49@140

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

We've just had some very early Pulsoids returned for inspection and it grieves me to see how badly abused and messed up they can get when they end up in the wrong hands.

The original fittings have been removed and braided adaptor stuff bodged in place of them. The nitrous filter is blocked up with a large amount of RUST, so far from prestine condition and guess who'd have got the blame for either poor performance or a wrecked engine. :evil:

Thankfully the new owner had the good sense to return them to us for servicing, so we've managed to avoid all that. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Another issue we've recently encountered is a Pulsoid that was returned for a minor thread damage issue but while we were at it, we checked it over and found a very fine layer of microscopic metal particles had found their way through the filter and ended up trapped on the plunger seal (never seen this before). Thankfully our UNIQUE plunger seal material was still managing to form a seal despite the particles but had this happened to anyone with a US kit, they could have suffered a major failure, anything from an engine failure to a car fire. :evil:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:49 am 
Site Admin

I was asked the other day "What exactly causes Pulsoid failure? ive seen 'misuse' and 'neglect' mentioned a few times but what exactly causes the problems?"

The answer is that unfortunately Pulsoids are ONLY indestructible when used CORRECTLY and not tampered with but most of those we see have not only been tampered with but also badly abused.

This is caused by;
1) People want to pull them apart to see what's so special.
2) People thinking they can make more power by INCORRECTLY adjusting the outlet seat or just seeing an adjuster and not being able to resist playing with it.
3) People thinking there is a problem with the internals of a Pulsoid (when there isn't and it's due to an external electrical issue) and thinking they are capable of dismantling and sorting a perceived problem themselves, when they're not.
4) Excessively long operation due to incorrect wiring or accidental switch activation

Unfortunately any of the above can WRECK all the hard work I put in to designing them.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

It’s been brought to my attention that some people don’t realise that this thread was started in 2007 and that the prices mentioned in the first post are therefore 3 years out of date.
The current service charge is now £35 and the parts costs have also increased, which is even more reason to be very wary when considering the purchase of used Pulsoids/kits.

So a reminder of what you need to consider before doing so;
1) Why risk damaging an expensive engine buying a cheap or used nitrous kit.
2) Even if the used kit doesn't kill your engine, the difference in features that our new systems offer over our old ones, make it worth buying the new system.
3) If you must buy a used kit, at least send it to us to be serviced BEFORE you put your engine at risk by using a potentially faulty system.
4) By doing so it will cost you much less than repairing your engine.

Besides all the common sense reasons, you now have the X-10s to tempt you to make the sensible decision;

http://www.noswizard.com/x-10.php
:twisted:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:29 pm 
Learner

Ive bought a used kit recently. Only a year old. What parts is it. That.you need to check over? Is it just the pulsoids? Or do you need the whole kit? If so may be easier driving over
Can.you service while i wait? Cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:29 pm 
Wizard

The check is mostly for the Pulsoids because some people tend to abuse them and then fail when exchanged with someone else or they were old and needed some updating. Your set should be the X-10's which are the most updated. Still you should call WoN directly at 01302 834 343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)