NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Using nitrous while on boost and methanol injection
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:43 am 

Hi first post here.

I have a Subaru wrx sti with a fully built bottom end and worked heads, headers, 35mm ewg, and turbo back exhaust, Front mounted intercooler and Methanol injection a lot more.

I will be upgrading to a decent sized turbo soon, but in the mean time I wanted to get a Nitrous system fitted into my car. The thing with my setup is that I run my car with a water/meth injection "50% mix" to add more octane and suppress engine knock.

I have been debating over my self if the Meth injection nozzle will have any adverse effects on the nitrous mix flow into the engine. The meth injector is near the throttle plate.

If I where to place the Nos nozzle, where should I place it? Before or after my meth injection nozzle? My plan is to do a moderately low jet, about 50 or something around 35 if possible for an added kick when needed.

I was looking into the Street-Blaster 150Ti kit which should be more than capable of doing what I wanted it to do. I really don't know how this kit works as there are 3 switches and a pressure sensor. Any information is appreciated.

Btw I found you guys thanks to top gear!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject: Re: Using nitrous while on boost and methanol injection
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

John802 wrote:
Hi first post here.
Hi John & welcome to my forum. Sorry for the slow response but I've been ill and unable to work for over a week now and I'm only just getting back on top again.

I have been debating over my self if the Meth injection nozzle will have any adverse effects on the nitrous mix flow into the engine. The meth injector is near the throttle plate.
Why do you think there'd be a problem with that?

If I where to place the Nos nozzle, where should I place it? Before or after my meth injection nozzle?
When using a single nitrous injector it's best to locate it as far from engine as possible (to give it time to mix and even disperse in to the air charge) but if you wanted it for eliminating turbo lag, it's better to have multiple injectors closer to the engine.

My plan is to do a moderately low jet, about 50 or something around 35 if possible for an added kick when needed.
No problem but you'd be fine with more.

I was looking into the Street-Blaster 150Ti kit which should be more than capable of doing what I wanted it to do. I really don't know how this kit works as there are 3 switches and a pressure sensor. Any information is appreciated.
The system is designed to work as follows;
1) The arming switch is the master control switch - with it off the car will drive entirely as normal
2) The throttle switch is located in such a way that it will only activate at full throttle (this can be upgraded to an electronic throttle position sensor/switch which has adjustable activation)
3) The boost switch is adjustable and can be set at the desired boost pressure, below which you'd like the nitrous to activate and above which it cuts off - for the purposes of the following example we'll say the switch is set at 10 psi.

To activate the system you'd operate the arming switch, followed by flooring the throttle. If the boost was below 10 psi at this point, the nitrous system would activate and stay activated until;
1) Boost reached 10 psi (which even from zero it would do almost instantly) at which time the boost switch would shut the system off.
2) You backed off from full throttle.
3) You switch off the arming switch.

This arrangement eliminates the shortcoming of a turbo system whilst maximising the longevity of the nitrous contents.

With the addition of a 4th switch it's also possible to by-pass the pressure switch (when desired), to achieve extended nitrous delivery controlled by throttle position only, should you want to enjoy the WON effect to its maximum advantage.
:twisted:

Btw I found you guys thanks to top gear!
I hope you enjoyed it and if you want to see how it REALLY happened, take a look at our video section which includes the original Top Gear version as well as our own.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:58 am 

My concerns about the meth injection lies with the atomization difference from one fluid to an other. I know that Meth and fuel come out of the nozzle in a fog state and my meth injection nozzle atomizes to a lower performance compared to the fog coming from the nos nozzle.

Wouldn't there by a type of fluid mix that would cause some cylinders to run more Nitrous than others? Let's say that I'm afraid that the 2 fluids wont combine effectively causing erratic A/F differences between the two banks of cylinders.

This is my main concern.

Also I was seeing the that minimax controller allows for progressive injection of Nitrous to the engine. Could I rig the Minimax to a stand alone ems so that when the ems sends the signal to activate the solenoids, the minimax will commence its operations? My Aem ems can control standard Nitrous solenoids with Rpm, tps, load, Vehicle speed sensor windows and I was thinking that using the ems windows and the minimax progressive control would yield me a nice street setup. Also I have Exhaust temperature monitors, if EGT get to high I can use a relay activated by the ems to shut down the nitrous system. What do you think / suggest?

Thanks for the response!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

John802 wrote:
My concerns about the meth injection lies with the atomization difference from one fluid to an other. I know that Meth and fuel come out of the nozzle in a fog state and my meth injection nozzle atomizes to a lower performance compared to the fog coming from the nos nozzle.
That's not going to be a problem.

Wouldn't there by a type of fluid mix that would cause some cylinders to run more Nitrous than others? Let's say that I'm afraid that the 2 fluids wont combine effectively causing erratic A/F differences between the two banks of cylinders.
There is always a risk of uneven distribution from single injector/s feeding multiple cylinders but by locating them as far from the inlet valves as possible, there is more time for the various media's to mix evenly before splitting in to individual runners but this is unrelated to any difference in the type of media being injected.

This is my main concern.
I wouldn't worry about any of that, as we've had (and probably still got) PLENTY of similar arrangements working perfectly well.

Also I was seeing the that minimax controller allows for progressive injection of Nitrous to the engine. Could I rig the Minimax to a stand alone ems so that when the ems sends the signal to activate the solenoids, the minimax will commence its operations? My Aem ems can control standard Nitrous solenoids with Rpm, tps, load, Vehicle speed sensor windows and I was thinking that using the ems windows and the minimax progressive control would yield me a nice street setup. Also I have Exhaust temperature monitors, if EGT get to high I can use a relay activated by the ems to shut down the nitrous system. What do you think / suggest?
Yes that would all work but you'd be better off with a Max Extreme as it offers MANY more features, including some very beneficial safety features. ;)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!