NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: NOS to WON kit: INSTALLED! Chevrolet Sonic 1.4T
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:38 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
You can't just leave it at that, you'll have to complete what sounds like it's going to be a confession!!!! :beatstick:

LOL!!! No, it's nothing that's within my control at the moment. Long story short, the fuel pump can't keep up with a 50 fuel jet. The pressure becomes erratic at the point where I'd get my "misfire", therefore the engine was lean at high RPM.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:42 pm 
Wizard

It also explains why the car felt weak on the nitrous. Also, the problem gets much worse with the cut out open. I'll need either a larger pump, or better yet a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous. I have a FPR with a boost reference so I can just get an EFI pump and a tank. So I've hit the wall again with the Sonic so I'll stay at 25 hp since that worked great.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

OK well that is a good opportunity to promote the fuel flow test that I detail in my book;

1) Turn off the nitrous bottle

2) Disconnect the fuel pipe from the Crossfire and run it into a catch tank

3) Connect a pressure gauge to the fuel supply system

4) Carry out a test run while monitoring the fuel pressure gauge

5) If the pressure drops by only a few psi continue the run for exactly 10 secs if possible and 5 secs if not.

6) If the pressure drops by more than a few psi and continues to fall, terminate the test run.

7) In the event of a minimal pressure drop, measure the quantity of fuel in the catch tank/bottle, then repeat the test but this time in neutral and at idle.

8) If the quantities from both tests are close to being the same, you can continue to go forward and use the system.

These instructions 'should' be followed before using a nitrous system but as 99% of vehicles have fuel systems that can flow approx. 30% more than they need NA, we don't normally bother or advise it unless;

1) We have reason to suspect the fuel system won't be up to it
OR
2) We are using jets that are capable of increasing the power by more than 25% of the NA power

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:15 pm 
Wizard

I performed that same test before, but I would get different results in fuel quantities because the fuel pressure increases with boost by the ECM. And with the fuel outlet pipe exposed to normal atmospheric pressures, the differential pressure and thus fuel flow is greatly exaggerated compared to the same test at idle.

P.S.

My car is already tuned for 40% excess power from stock without nitrous. Add an additional amount of power with the nitrous and the fuel system will be taxed even further.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:24 pm 
Learner

well done for working out what the problem is :yes:

now surely the aim is to work on curing the problem... and eventually feeling the hit of the whole fruit :cheers:

to explain the hit of the whole fruit ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR1SEGyVVe0

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:28 pm 
Wizard

:omgrofl:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
I performed that same test before, but I would get different results in fuel quantities because the fuel pressure increases with boost by the ECM. And with the fuel outlet pipe exposed to normal atmospheric pressures, the differential pressure and thus fuel flow is greatly exaggerated compared to the same test at idle.
VERY GOOD POINT and you got one up on me there, as I hadn't considered that myself at any time since conceiving of the test, so thanks again for your contribution to the WON pool of knowledge.

P.S.

My car is already tuned for 40% excess power from stock without nitrous. Add an additional amount of power with the nitrous and the fuel system will be taxed even further.
So it isn't remotely surprising that it can't cope now. BTW it is often not the pump itself that is the limiting factor of a fuel system but the delivery pipe being too small a diameter.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:49 pm 
Wizard

Then the best course would still be an auxiliary fuel system so that the factory components remain as stock as possible. This way, I can simply transfer all of the nitrous parts, along with the fuel kit, to another vehicle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:50 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
VERY GOOD POINT and you got one up on me there, as I hadn't considered that myself at any time since conceiving of the test, so thanks again for your contribution to the WON pool of knowledge.

:yes: :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:18 pm 
Wizard

EEEEEEEEEAR TO EEEEEEEEEEEAR my friends! The WoN grin is EEEEEEEEEEEAR to EEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR right now!

SONIC POWER IS REEEEEEEEEEEAL NOW!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:33 am 
Learner

I need more details :omgrofl: ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:00 pm 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
I need more details :omgrofl: ;)

LOL not yet, it's not ready YET! This car is the biggest PIA on nitrous but it did show a glimmer of hope so I'm not giving up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:46 pm 
Wizard

Just to update:

Apparently, AEM UEGO AFR gauges just dont jive with the max extreme's voltage scale. The AEM voltage scale is very narrow (still 0-5v) with 0 being 10:1 and 5 being 20:1, whereas the maxy is 4:1 @ 0v to 24:1 @ 5v. No matter what I did with the adjustment pot, I couldn't get them to work together.

Now I need a compatible wideband unit, but I need to know which one will work.

Attachment:
IMG_2729.JPG
IMG_2729.JPG [ 148.16 KiB | Viewed 19503 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:19 pm 
Wizard

My Maxy may be defective: I tried EVERY possible way of getting an RPM signal for the window feature and NOTHING worked. Even hooking up to the ignition coil of a spare 2 stroke engine produced no results. I'll have to return the unit for inspection/repair. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the Max is at fault, especially with respect to the RPM feature, so before you do anything further in that regard, might I suggest you give Lewis or Dave a call, to ensure you everything correctly set up and connected.

Similarly the AFR should NOT be a problem, as long as the correct settings are selected, so again I'd suggest a quick chat with lewis or Dave on that one as well.

The reasons I very much doubt that the Max will be at fault in these regards are;
1) We've NEVER had a Max fail in ANY specific way as you're anticipating
2) As far as I'm aware the Max has the ability to work with every type of AFR unit
3) we often encounter situations like this and yet we've always found the problem to be something other than 'A FAULT' with the Max

Sorry I can't give you absolute answers to the issues but I delegated the donkey work of creating the Max to one of my EX employees and unfortunately he was the only employee who had FULL knowledge of all aspects of the Max features. Since he left the 3 of us Dave, Lewis and myself have been trying to learn the knowledge we are missing (while also learning about the new features I've added in the years since he left), to ensure we can provide the guidance customers require.
In most cases Lewis has the greater level of knowledge but thankfully the knowledge they both have isn't the same, so between them they can usually provide the assistance required.
Unfortunately, Dave doesn't work Tuesdays so if Lewis can't assist you, you'll have to wait until Wednesday, which hopefully won't be too much of an inconvenience.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:54 pm 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Hi Alex, it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the Max is at fault, especially with respect to the RPM feature, so before you do anything further in that regard, might I suggest you give Lewis or Dave a call, to ensure you everything correctly set up and connected.

Similarly the AFR should NOT be a problem, as long as the correct settings are selected, so again I'd suggest a quick chat with lewis or Dave on that one as well.

The reasons I very much doubt that the Max will be at fault in these regards are;
1) We've NEVER had a Max fail in ANY specific way as you're anticipating
2) As far as I'm aware the Max has the ability to work with every type of AFR unit
3) we often encounter situations like this and yet we've always found the problem to be something other than 'A FAULT' with the Max

Sorry I can't give you absolute answers to the issues but I delegated the donkey work of creating the Max to one of my EX employees and unfortunately he was the only employee who had FULL knowledge of all aspects of the Max features. Since he left the 3 of us Dave, Lewis and myself have been trying to learn the knowledge we are missing (while also learning about the new features I've added in the years since he left), to ensure we can provide the guidance customers require.
In most cases Lewis has the greater level of knowledge but thankfully the knowledge they both have isn't the same, so between them they can usually provide the assistance required.
Unfortunately, Dave doesn't work Tuesdays so if Lewis can't assist you, you'll have to wait until Wednesday, which hopefully won't be too much of an inconvenience.

I've sent emails about my issues about the AFR with no response as of yet. I'll call tomorrow and find out the info about the Max set up issues. It's merely my frustration and having to burrow myself under the car after dicking around under the bonnet for hours had me infuriated.

I also HIGHLY doubt that there is something wrong with the unit itself, I just need to find the means to TEST the rpm feature.

Also, no matter what I did with the pot on the Max for the input signal. I still think that it's the AEM sensor output scaling. It's too bad that there isn't anyone on here that has a resolution for this because I've searched the forum high and low.

BTW, the issue with the misfire was actually the OPPOSITE of my earlier findings, in that the car DUMPS endless fuel at the top end. I mean it's a LOT of fuel, so I need the AFR loop to take away the excess fuel. Furthermore, the excess fuel in the tune is to take away heat due to the 23 psi of boost spike that the car makes and 29 psi boost spike on 25 shot of the gas!

What's funny is when I did the shutdowns during the misfire to see what the plugs showed, revealed a rich mix but not a SUPER rich mix like the AFR meter is reading.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
I've sent emails about my issues about the AFR with no response as of yet.
Yes I'm aware of those but my team have 2 MAJOR problems they are having to adjust to;
1) As you know I'm 'retired' NOW (so I shouldn't really be on here now), so they are having to adjust to dealing with my workload as well as their own.
2) Now that wouldn't have been as bad as its proving to be, if the DAMN TELECOMS company hadn't suffered some kind of melt down, that has left them with NO phone line and therefore NO internet service, which is obviously a major issue all on its own, without it happening JUST as I retired.
Luckily I have been doing most of my work from home and my daughter being in Malta, means that it hasn't prevented her from receiving emails but she hasn't been able to communicate with the guys, so it's still having an adverse affect on what she can do.
From my perspective the worst thing is that we are unable to process customers orders and payments, so we can't fulfil our obligations to them, until later in the week.
:evil: :evil:

I'll call tomorrow and find out the info about the Max set up issues.
Unfortunately the only way you can contact anyone until the phone line is fixed (which might not be until Thursday) :beatstick: :beatstick: is to call our backup mobile (cell) phone but that would be a much more expensive option. :cry:

It's merely my frustration and having to burrow myself under the car after dicking around under the bonnet for hours had me infuriated.
I also HIGHLY doubt that there is something wrong with the unit itself, I just need to find the means to TEST the rpm feature.
Glad to hear it and I'm sure Lewis and Dave will know the solution to that, as they have personally fitted MANY Max units to a range of vehicles.

Also, no matter what I did with the pot on the Max for the input signal. I still think that it's the AEM sensor output scaling. It's too bad that there isn't anyone on here that has a resolution for this because I've searched the forum high and low.
The Max has the ability to be used with TWO alternative input ranges and then each range is adjustable. As far as I'm aware ALL AFR units fall into one or other of these 2 ranges.
Unfortunately I don't personally know how to switch between the 2 ranges and although I gave Lewis the job of creating individual instruction pages for ALL the features, I've just had a look and can't find one appropriate to this one.
However, I have also just had a look at the manual and found the appropriate instructions (on page 12);

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/max2_revo_1.52.pdf

AFR Calibration – To switch between alternative types of Lambda sensor with different AFR input signals,
‘hold down’ the <ENTER> key whilst AFR is selected.
Press <ENTER> to move to the next option in the list.

Have you tried this already???

Page 3 of this file might also contain some further guidance;
http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/Max%20Flow%20Charts.pdf

BTW, the issue with the misfire was actually the OPPOSITE of my earlier findings, in that the car DUMPS endless fuel at the top end. I mean it's a LOT of fuel, so I need the AFR loop to take away the excess fuel. Furthermore, the excess fuel in the tune is to take away heat due to the 23 psi of boost spike that the car makes and 29 psi boost spike on 25 shot of the gas!
Strange how an extreme swing in either direction can cause a similar problem but it's not the first time I've seen something similar to this happen.
Unfortunately I doubt the Mix Map feature will be able to adjust such a large mismatch (it only has a plus or minus 20% range I believe) but the closed loop AFR feature MIGHT be able to cope with it.

What's funny is when I did the shutdowns during the misfire to see what the plugs showed, revealed a rich mix but not a SUPER rich mix like the AFR meter is reading.
Unfortunately the plugs are more likely to be an more accurate indicator than an AFR reading, assuming that you are reading the plugs CORRECTLY and that's not a very easy thing to do.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:36 am 
Wizard

Noswizard wrote:
Turbobox wrote:
I've sent emails about my issues about the AFR with no response as of yet.
Yes I'm aware of those but my team have 2 MAJOR problems they are having to adjust to;
1) As you know I'm 'retired' NOW (so I shouldn't really be on here now), so they are having to adjust to dealing with my workload as well as their own.
2) Now that wouldn't have been as bad as its proving to be, if the DAMN TELECOMS company hadn't suffered some kind of melt down, that has left them with NO phone line and therefore NO internet service, which is obviously a major issue all on its own, without it happening JUST as I retired.
Luckily I have been doing most of my work from home and my daughter being in Malta, means that it hasn't prevented her from receiving emails but she hasn't been able to communicate with the guys, so it's still having an adverse affect on what she can do.
From my perspective the worst thing is that we are unable to process customers orders and payments, so we can't fulfil our obligations to them, until later in the week.
:evil: :evil:

Ack, worst time for all of this if ever! And I didn't expect you to be on here at all so this is a surprise to me as well! SUPER APPRECIATED BTW!

I'll call tomorrow and find out the info about the Max set up issues.
Unfortunately the only way you can contact anyone until the phone line is fixed (which might not be until Thursday) :beatstick: :beatstick: is to call our backup mobile (cell) phone but that would be a much more expensive option. :cry:
I'll wait until the end of the week if I don't get an email response.

It's merely my frustration and having to burrow myself under the car after dicking around under the bonnet for hours had me infuriated.
Glad to hear it and I'm sure Lewis and Dave will know the solution to that, as they have personally fitted MANY Max units to a range of vehicles.
I'm sure they can help. I just wish they were down the road rigth now so I can knock on their doors LOL!

The Max has the ability to be used with TWO alternative input ranges and then each range is adjustable. As far as I'm aware ALL AFR units fall into one or other of these 2 ranges.
Unfortunately I don't personally know how to switch between the 2 ranges and although I gave Lewis the job of creating individual instruction pages for ALL the features, I've just had a look and can't find one appropriate to this one.
However, I have also just had a look at the manual and found the appropriate instructions (on page 12);

http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/max2_revo_1.52.pdf

AFR Calibration – To switch between alternative types of Lambda sensor with different AFR input signals,
‘hold down’ the <ENTER> key whilst AFR is selected.
Press <ENTER> to move to the next option in the list.

Have you tried this already???

I have an EARLY V1 with V2 software that doesn't have that menu set up. I can only select the AFR 1 and AFR 2 in the input window and select the afr alarm.

Page 3 of this file might also contain some further guidance;
http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/Max%20Flow%20Charts.pdf

Strange how an extreme swing in either direction can cause a similar problem but it's not the first time I've seen something similar to this happen.
Unfortunately I doubt the Mix Map feature will be able to adjust such a large mismatch (it only has a plus or minus 20% range I believe) but the closed loop AFR feature MIGHT be able to cope with it.

I think if I can just take lean out the jets just enough for the Max to add enough fuel on the hit and then be able to take away enough up top JUST to avoid the misfire then it should work OK. Else, I'll have to find an alternative method.

Unfortunately the plugs are more likely to be an more accurate indicator than an AFR reading, assuming that you are reading the plugs CORRECTLY and that's not a very easy thing to do.

I've taken a particular interest in spark plug reading some years ago and I've been successful in doing so in most of my projects. I use brand new plugs in each case and you've seen my analyses of this car. I WILL say that my attempts to REDUCE the fuel jets significantly HAS IMPROVED the misfire somewhat, but it also extends the leanness of the hit to levels that take away the margin of safety.

This car has been throwing me for such a loop and it's been my most difficult project ever. It's mostly due to the fact that I'm attempting to get the nitrous system to work with minimal expense, except this car isn't like older EFI vehicles with easily circumvented electronics. There are so many redundancies fighting my EVERY move that I feel like I'm powerless without a freakin' laptop and writing code! If I don't find a solution to the afr problem, then I'll have to get some kind of hand held programmer to take away fuel for the nitrous, which is what I wanted to AVOID in the first place. Ultra PIA adn $$$ pit this freakin' car!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:09 pm 
Wizard

Ok, I've made SOME progress with the Maxy in that the AFR choices 1 & 2 are SELECTABLE SCALES for use with different AFR meters. This is NOT clear in the instruction manual and needs clarification in the future. What I thought was that the AFR 1 & 2 was some sort of operating window where the Maxy is to keep the AFR within during nitrous use.

Still, I can ONLY calibrate it up to a point where the AFR meter and the Maxy are 1 full point off from each other. At the very least, I can work with that error margin.

Furthermore, I further tested the Maxy RPM input and I DID find a discrepancy with the unit. Now bear in mind that I did purchase the unit USED from WoN so the fault must've been from the previous owner that was overlooked during testing because I've never attempted to connect it prior to the last few days. There is a PCB fuse that I traced for the white/blk striped wire and there is an OPEN across that fuse. Here is the Photo:

Attachment:
open.jpg
open.jpg [ 161.84 KiB | Viewed 19490 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:18 am 
Wizard

Still working on the Sonic's troubles breaking up at high rpm on nitrous. I've done ENORMOUS amounts of work trying to figure it all out until recently when I found my best reasonable guess: EMI (Electromagnetic Interference).

I've conducted numerous tests, and I've hypothesized that the voltage leakage through the rubber ignition boots are causing the break-ups. My supporting conclusions further verify my hypothesis, but only flawless nitrous runs will prove this once and for all.

I will be calling Magnecor to see if they can create something for me.

I WILL HAVE A MENTAL NITROUS SONIC!!!!
:twisted:

Attachment:
VoltageLeak Sonic Coil.jpg
VoltageLeak Sonic Coil.jpg [ 64.83 KiB | Viewed 19330 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Ok, I've made SOME progress with the Maxy in that the AFR choices 1 & 2 are SELECTABLE SCALES for use with different AFR meters. This is NOT clear in the instruction manual and needs clarification in the future. What I thought was that the AFR 1 & 2 was some sort of operating window where the Maxy is to keep the AFR within during nitrous use.

Still, I can ONLY calibrate it up to a point where the AFR meter and the Maxy are 1 full point off from each other. At the very least, I can work with that error margin.

Furthermore, I further tested the Maxy RPM input and I DID find a discrepancy with the unit. Now bear in mind that I did purchase the unit USED from WoN so the fault must've been from the previous owner that was overlooked during testing because I've never attempted to connect it prior to the last few days. There is a PCB fuse that I traced for the white/blk striped wire and there is an OPEN across that fuse. Here is the Photo:

Very glad you figured that out Alex and I'll pass on the info to the team to ensure they are also familiar with it in future.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Still working on the Sonic's troubles breaking up at high rpm on nitrous. I've done ENORMOUS amounts of work trying to figure it all out until recently when I found my best reasonable guess: EMI (Electromagnetic Interference).

I've conducted numerous tests, and I've hypothesized that the voltage leakage through the rubber ignition boots are causing the break-ups. My supporting conclusions further verify my hypothesis, but only flawless nitrous runs will prove this once and for all.

I will be calling Magnecor to see if they can create something for me.

I WILL HAVE A MENTAL NITROUS SONIC!!!!
:twisted:

Yes that would explain it, as I've encountered the same issues a number of times, even on cars without coil overs and it's a much more likely to be a problem on coil overs.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:19 pm 
Wizard

Hey, Trev!!! Glad to see ya popped over on the forum! :salute:

Yes, I JUST got off the phone with Magnecore and they are going to assist me with my problem and I am going with FAR MORE POWER COILS and the race wires to go with them.

I tested these coils in a coil-on-plug setup, but the increased voltage made things worse and misfired earlier than the stock coils. This is what lead me down the rabbit hole of the root of the problem.

For anyone reading this thread, the more dense the cylinder charge, the more resistance to cross the spark plug gap. And since the path of least resistance is through the boot, then that's where the spark goes. The more powerful the ignition, the worse the problem!

BTW, I don't think anyone has attempted this on this engine. So I claim the first to do so!
Attachment:
IMG_2817sm.jpg
IMG_2817sm.jpg [ 208.97 KiB | Viewed 19299 times ]

My new mounting is around here:

Attachment:
IMG_2842sm.jpg
IMG_2842sm.jpg [ 242.48 KiB | Viewed 19299 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 pm 
Learner

Reading and digesting :salute:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Turbobox wrote:
Hey, Trev!!! Glad to see ya popped over on the forum! :salute:
I've got a bit of spare time, so I might be back again soon but I'm sure you'll do a good job in my absence.

Yes, I JUST got off the phone with Magnecore and they are going to assist me with my problem and I am going with FAR MORE POWER COILS and the race wires to go with them.
Excellent.

I tested these coils in a coil-on-plug setup, but the increased voltage made things worse and misfired earlier than the stock coils. This is what lead me down the rabbit hole of the root of the problem.

For anyone reading this thread, the more dense the cylinder charge, the more resistance to cross the spark plug gap. And since the path of least resistance is through the boot, then that's where the spark goes. The more powerful the ignition, the worse the problem!

Exactly right!!!!

BTW, I don't think anyone has attempted this on this engine. So I claim the first to do so!
TOP MAN!!!

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next