NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: a few pre shopping questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:47 pm 

been sorting a few upgrades to the car that were planned for after n2o Coil on plug conversion ect. fuel pressure reg upgrade, injector changes ect.

my car is a vw16v running itb's on aftermarket management.

with ITB's i would have thought direct port injection would be the normal way to go, but as mine will shortly be going into an airbox with remote filter. the airbox chould be considerd a plenum as far as the n20 is concirned ? so would i be best off with just the gas nossel into the pipe feeding the airbox ?

refills from what i can tell there is nowhere that dose refills within an hours drive of me ( HR9 ) end of the m50 . i've made enquires and can get 47 ltr cyls. is it worth it ? from other peoples experiance would i say be better off getting an extra 10 lb bottel and getting a couple filled at a time or pay the rental on a 47ltr and just have a 5lb and fill it as and when ?

quadranoids .... talk to me about these please if direct port is what i need these sound ideal, can they be used like a traditional on / off selonoid, atm my ecu supports 2 stage n20 it'll trigger the selonoid at whatever condions i set ( eg coolant >85c , <110 rpm >3000 , <7500 .tps >97%) and add whatever extra fuel i ask for. but there are options to upgrade its n2o controll ablity into fully progressive . basicly im asking will these nitrous selonids remain sutable as the car develops.

CO2 apparently it behaves pritty simalat to n20 in meany respects but will do quite the opposite in terms of powr gains but it's cheep cheep, if i was tinkering with ecu / controll systems would the selonoids mind haveing co2 run through them for testing porposes ?

danny

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: a few pre shopping questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:27 am 
Wizard

danny wrote:

Welcome to the forum, danny.

been sorting a few upgrades to the car that were planned for after n2o Coil on plug conversion ect. fuel pressure reg upgrade, injector changes ect.

my car is a vw16v running itb's on aftermarket management.

Sounds like a fun project! :yes:

with ITB's i would have thought direct port injection would be the normal way to go, but as mine will shortly be going into an airbox with remote filter. the airbox chould be considerd a plenum as far as the n20 is concirned ? so would i be best off with just the gas nossel into the pipe feeding the airbox ?

If I understand correctly, you mean that the ITB's will still protrude inside the airbox? You can use a single injector at the common air intake point to fog the airbox, given you add the proper fueling via ECU.

refills from what i can tell there is nowhere that dose refills within an hours drive of me ( HR9 ) end of the m50 . i've made enquires and can get 47 ltr cyls. is it worth it ? from other peoples experiance would i say be better off getting an extra 10 lb bottel and getting a couple filled at a time or pay the rental on a 47ltr and just have a 5lb and fill it as and when ?

This all depends on how much and how often you intend to use the amount you have up. In my experience, it's best to have your own gas supply, therefore there is no shortage to worry about when you need the gas, no worry about getting the proper fill, risk of dirty fills, etc. Besides, you won't have to be so "reserved" about using higher power levels because you don't have to worry about driving to get more of the gas. And there still won't be any reason not to get an extra/larger cylinder fitted anyway, it's all the more benefit.

quadranoids .... talk to me about these please if direct port is what i need these sound ideal

Yes, you can use these because they have an integral distribution block as there are no extra parts to mount, just be aware that if you have tight clearances under the bonnet (as the distribution MUST be horizontal) then you might need to consider the traditional DP kits. There is also no need for jets because the flow is adjusted via the seat.

can they be used like a traditional on / off selonoid
They most certainly can. :yes:

, atm my ecu supports 2 stage n20 it'll trigger the selonoid at whatever condions i set ( eg coolant >85c , <110 rpm >3000 , <7500 .tps >97%) and add whatever extra fuel i ask for.
Sounds fine for a basic setup, but progressive control is FAR superior to staged setups.

but there are options to upgrade its n2o controll ablity into fully progressive . basicly im asking will these nitrous selonids remain sutable as the car develops.
Pulsoids are THE BEST solenoids on the market, and there is nothing out there, besides the REVO that will surpass the Pulsoid. Be assured that the Pulsoid will be more than suitable, it will exceed and outlast even the life of the vehicle, even when pulsed for millions of cycles!

CO2 apparently it behaves pritty simalat to n20 in meany respects but will do quite the opposite in terms of powr gains but it's cheep cheep, if i was tinkering with ecu / controll systems would the selonoids mind haveing co2 run through them for testing porposes ?

Liquid Co2 should only be used for testing flow rates and some other tidbits. It provides NO performance benefit, unless cooling external engine components. I would definitely go that route for extensive testing as it would save you a lot of money.

danny

Welcome aboard! 8)

Regards,
Alex

Last edited by Turbobox on Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:30 am 
Wizard

http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2811

Here's some good reading for you in order to further understand the details of progressive control.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:04 pm 

cheers, thats cleared up a few things. just elaborating on a few of them a bit more

the ecu, and the injectors connected to it are capable of delivering plenty of fuel, on the primary fuel rail i have enough for 280-300 hp now that should be enough for what i need but i have provison for another 4 injectors if i get really keen. but for now i'm hopeing to kep it simpel.

with the throttel bodies and airbox, atm they just have littel K&N's on each one but thats going to have to change, as when it rains they get wet and become quite restrictive till they dry out, as i'm running the ecu in alpha-N for the fueling it causes a few problems, 2ndly whilst i think they make a really nice noise the local law dosent. so i'm going to have to box them in with a remote filter ( hopefully it make an equaly nice noise but just a bit quieter ) so as we've said this means i can run ether singel point or direct port ? what do we think would better ? direct port sounds better and inexperianced opinion would say a jet fireing gas down each port would be better but what i've read seems to indicate quite the opposite. and putting the n2o into the intake for the airbox and treat it as a plenum would mean the cyls would get a more even dose of gas.

in regards to a progressive system that'll be my end aim and shouldn't need any hardware changes tho i think there are a few optional ones, but if i start off with setting it up as a basic 1 stage on / off system then once i'm farmiliar with it start turning on the features and tinkering with them. as it would be nice to phase in say 100ftlbs between 3000 & 4000 rpm and then hold that to say 7500 rpm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:38 pm 
Wizard

danny wrote:
cheers, thats cleared up a few things. just elaborating on a few of them a bit more

the ecu, and the injectors connected to it are capable of delivering plenty of fuel, on the primary fuel rail i have enough for 280-300 hp now that should be enough for what i need but i have provison for another 4 injectors if i get really keen. but for now i'm hopeing to kep it simpel.

Sounds like enough fuel to make some mental power. :yes:

with the throttel bodies and airbox, atm they just have littel K&N's on each one but thats going to have to change, as when it rains they get wet and become quite restrictive till they dry out, as i'm running the ecu in alpha-N for the fueling it causes a few problems, 2ndly whilst i think they make a really nice noise the local law dosent. so i'm going to have to box them in with a remote filter ( hopefully it make an equaly nice noise but just a bit quieter ) so as we've said this means i can run ether singel point or direct port ?

With the airbox, the single point can work, but direct port will be superior and make more power.

what do we think would better ? direct port sounds better and inexperianced opinion would say a jet fireing gas down each port would be better but what i've read seems to indicate quite the opposite.
Direct port IS superior and it would be the way to go to make the power levels your fuel system is capable of. The single point would be only good for so much before the furthest cylinder begins injesting more nitrous than the closest.

and putting the n2o into the intake for the airbox and treat it as a plenum would mean the cyls would get a more even dose of gas.

Actually the reverse is the case, especially when flowing high amounts of the gas.

in regards to a progressive system that'll be my end aim and shouldn't need any hardware changes tho i think there are a few optional ones, but if i start off with setting it up as a basic 1 stage on / off system then once i'm farmiliar with it start turning on the features and tinkering with them. as it would be nice to phase in say 100ftlbs between 3000 & 4000 rpm and then hold that to say 7500 rpm

Although some ECU's incorporate such functions, they are nowhere near where they need to be for proper nitrous delivery. The Pulsoids operate at MUCH higher and broader frequencies than generic solenoids, which most progressive functions gear towards. Pulsoids can also operate at very low and very high power percentages whereas generic solenoids either stay closed or stay open, negating the progression. Also, it's more effective to deliver the progression over time, rather than RPM.

However, you can use a Max Extreme controller (which will deliver the progressive nitrous correctly) by having your ECU command it via a 5v output. The result would be a much more controlled delivery of power.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

As always Alex has provided some very appropriate responses but I'd like to cover a few points that I feel need my input;

Coil on plug conversion ect.
This is not a great idea as remote mounted coils can be bigger (and therefore stronger), plus they are not subjected to as much heat degradation.

with ITB's i would have thought direct port injection would be the normal way to go,
Correct

but as mine will shortly be going into an airbox with remote filter. the airbox chould be considerd a plenum as far as the n20 is concirned ? so would i be best off with just the gas nossel into the pipe feeding the airbox ?
Before that could be decided for sure I would need to see some pictures of it. The airbox would also need to be SEALED to the TB's and be fully sealed apart from the air intake, otherwise nitrous could potentially leak out, rather than entering the runners.
This is particularly important with a wet system, as leaking fuel would be extremely dangerous.

quadranoids .... talk to me about these please if direct port is what i need these sound ideal, can they be used like a traditional on / off selonoid, atm my ecu supports 2 stage n20 it'll trigger the selonoid at whatever condions i set ( eg coolant >85c , <110 rpm >3000 , <7500 .tps >97%) and add whatever extra fuel i ask for. but there are options to upgrade its n2o controll ablity into fully progressive . basicly im asking will these nitrous selonids remain sutable as the car develops.
Yes the Quadranoids are just a Pulsoid with an integral distribution block. With regards to supplying the appropriate amounts of fuel through the existing fuel injection system, unless you have access to the appropriate knowledge on how to determine this, you would be better to have a wet system. Furthermore, if you stick to dry you would CERTAINLY be better to use a direct port system, as a single nozzle may not deliver equal amounts of nitrous to all cylinders, whereas the fuel injectors should deliver equal amounts of fuel.

Not a problem as we do that all the time.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!