NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Questions on Optimum Y Block Mounting
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:49 pm 
Learner

Planning the layout for a single pulsoid and 4 discharge tubes using 3 Y blocks.

I've read through this: http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/optimum_di ... yblock.pdf

So my first question -- Is there a flow issue with mounting the first Y block directly to the pulsoid? Or is it better to mount it on a short run of pipe? Seems to me mounting it directly to the pulsoid would introduce fewer transitions.

Second question -- Can you mount the follow on Y blocks directly to the first? I'm assuming NOT since the flow has just made a turn (looks to be about 30 degrees or so) and needs some room to re-establish flow. So, if there is room - is it best to make that a straight run between the first and second Y blocks, and make more bends in the actual discharge tubes? Or is it best to use the S-bends to line them up as in diagram 3 from the document above?

Thanks!
Chris

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
 Post subject: Re: Questions on Optimum Y Block Mounting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 am 
Wizard

fj1289 wrote:
Planning the layout for a single pulsoid and 4 discharge tubes using 3 Y blocks.

I've read through this: http://www.noswizard.com/pdf/optimum_di ... yblock.pdf

So my first question -- Is there a flow issue with mounting the first Y block directly to the pulsoid? Or is it better to mount it on a short run of pipe? Seems to me mounting it directly to the pulsoid would introduce fewer transitions.
Typically, there would NOT be any issues with flow. However,
it would make it EXTREMELY difficult to change jets, which risks disturbing the mounting position and could result in a difference in distribution. The number of transitions is not as important as the quality of flow, although it is important to keep the transitions as few as possible. As long as the transition is handled correctly, the result will be a properly fed nitrous engine.

In a nutshell, you can use the Y block right up on the Pulsoid, and it's even shown in the figure.

Second question -- Can you mount the follow on Y blocks directly to the first?
This case is different because the nitrous flow would have JUST finished changing direction and would continue to have the momentum to be biased to one direction than another, resulting in bad distribution.

I'm assuming NOT since the flow has just made a turn (looks to be about 30 degrees or so) and needs some room to re-establish flow.
Correct assumption, Chris.

So, if there is room - is it best to make that a straight run between the first and second Y blocks, and make more bends in the actual discharge tubes? Or is it best to use the S-bends to line them up as in diagram 3 from the document above?
It's best to use the S-bends because the distribution will be biased with some cylinders ingesting more nitrous than others. The "S" cancels out the most of the momentum to reestablish a balanced flow path. The main purpose is to equalize the flow BEFORE the final split to reach the injection point.
Thanks!
Chris
:yes:

Post subject: Re: Questions on Optimum Y Block Mounting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Depending on the cause of the change of direction, we concluded that as much as 3 to 4 inches of DEAD straight pipe may be needed, to neutralise the effect on the flow. The sharper the bend the longer it needs to recover.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!