NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: How to safely increase your nitrous power
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Long before theoretical mixture BS was available I was getting reliable results from the following VERY SIMPLE method;

1) Static test at low power, adjust according to response
2) Step up the jets based on the same ratio and add a little extra fuel to be on the safe side
3) Repeat static test, adjust accordingly
4) Do a run with nitrous only activated from half track - kill engine IMMEDIATELY the finish line's crossed - inspect plugs
5) Adjust mixture & timing if required & as required
6) Do a run with nitrous only activated from quarter track - kill engine IMMEDIATELY the finish line's crossed - inspect plugs
7) Adjust mixture & timing if required & as required
8) Do a run with nitrous activated for full track - kill engine IMMEDIATELY the finish line's crossed - inspect plugs
9) Adjust mixture & timing if required & as required
10) Repeat steps 2 to 9 (excluding 3) for each each jet increase

Repeat steps 1 to 10 whenever ANY change was made that could affect the running of the engine.

You shouldn't carry out a static test above 25 to 50 HP jets unless you're prepared for the consequences, as you need quick reactions to avoid wrecking your engines BUT in experienced hands and done correctly it is safe to do a static test at BIG power levels to determine the correct mixture or at least put it in the right (SAFE) ball park.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: How to safely increase your nitrous power
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:17 pm 
Wizard

its all in the book as well ;) :)

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:14 pm 
Learner

Static test on higher hp levels:

Do you have a guideline for static test jetting and engine size?
How does engine size affect the test? You can use 50 hp on a small 4 banger and on a big V8.
The V8 is more than twice the size and you will still get a result.
I used 50 hp for my static test, engine was slowly reving up to ~5500rpm. I think this is ok but i never saw or did that test on a engine half the size.
So what is the difference?

I know this is just a basic test and you have to pull the plugs to be sure but i like to know this :D

Next question:
There is a video showing a static test on V8 and it was reving up fast as hell using some bigger jets than 50hp.
What was causing that? Is this behavior relatet to the engine itselfe or to the bigger jets?
I would think the engine would like to spin well over red line.

The static test is somehow still a secret for me.

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Grimmjar wrote:
Static test on higher hp levels:

Do you have a guideline for static test jetting and engine size?
Until now I've always avoided giving any advice to static test above 50 HP on any engine no matter what size but basically the bigger the engine the more it can handle on a static test.

How does engine size affect the test? You can use 50 hp on a small 4 banger and on a big V8.
I haven't got anything 'official' as yet but the best way to guide you is by examples, so here are 3;
1) Kawasaki 1100 cc tested at 100 BHP
2) Rover 3500 cc tested at 300 BHP
3) 700 ci Pro Mod engine tested at 500 BHP
In any such high level test it is essential to start from a rich setting and work up to an optimum setting.

The V8 is more than twice the size and you will still get a result.
Yes you will but ALL tests need to be assessed with a degree of awareness of the power level being tested and a dose of experience doesn't do any harm, so build up to such levels GRADUALLY.

I used 50 hp for my static test, engine was slowly reving up to ~5500rpm. I think this is ok but i never saw or did that test on a engine half the size.
So what is the difference?
The bigger the engine the more power it takes to spin the parts up quickly and so the same power on a static test on different size engines will produce slightly different rates of acceleration but the end result will be the same.

I know this is just a basic test and you have to pull the plugs to be sure but i like to know this :D
EXACTLY, although with my vast experience I can dial in the mixture to perfection (as I did in the USA recently a couple of times), in seconds using this method.

Next question:
There is a video showing a static test on V8 and it was reving up fast as hell using some bigger jets than 50hp.
What was causing that? Is this behavior relatet to the engine itselfe or to the bigger jets?
As I've now explained, the bigger the jets the quicker the engine will respond/accelerate and on that engine I was using 200 BHP jets and the engine is over 700 ci.

I would think the engine would like to spin well over red line.
ONLY if the mixture is either perfect or too lean - if it was too rich it would respond exactly the same as a small engine or any engine on a mixture that was too rich - it would struggle to rise or at worst bog altogether.

The static test is somehow still a secret for me.
It is to a lot of people and many condemn it in their ignorance, so I hope I've unlocked the secret for you now. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:45 am 
Learner

I never did a static test on my car when I finished my install. My 2008 CTR has an electronic safety feature preventing me from revving past 5200 rpm at idle and wrecking the valvetrain because of piston to valve contact at vtec.

I considered jacking up the front of the car, put it in 1 st gear, set the revs at 3000 rpm and do a static test with the 25 bhp jets. But because of my back injury I skipped this idea and proceeded to a roadtest.

First I checked over the system several times, checking all nuts, pipes and electricals.
I also employed my LC1 controller. I could see on the readouts that with the 25 fuel jet that there is initially a marginal amount of fuel going through the distribution block and pipes.
After each gearchange when applying the throttle it seemed as if the fuel flow is slightly restricted and needs time through the distribution blocks and pipes to reach the cylinders.

After I changed to a 50 bhp shot I noticed on the afr readouts that the 50 fuel jet has a more pronounced effect, richening up the engine especially in closed loop mode compared to the 25 fuel jet because of the enlarged overal fuel flow.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Back when I developed the static test there were no such things as AFR meters and engine management, so life was very simple.

AFR meters would have helped me a great deal back in those days of ignorance but I was lucky we only had distributors and carbs to deal with, rather than the ever increasingly complex management systems of today.

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm 
Learner

Spot on with the AFR meter Trevor. I would feel uncomfortable trying to fine tune the system just by looking at the plugs. I even have to disassemble half of the car it seems to reach the plugs.

Diy short ram intake, TBS, throttle coolant block off, heat shield gasket, AAS race manifold, reinforced torque rods, Exedy stage 1 clutch, short shifter,semi slicks, hondata flashpro.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:05 pm 
Learner

I will give it a try with 100 and 150 hp and report back.

Thanks Trev :bigsmurf:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:19 pm 
Learner

An AFR could be exactly what I need as the static test and road test didn't give any conclusions as to whether I was running rich or lean. The static test didn't happen simply, and the road tests showed the same spark plug colouring using 2 different jet ratio's :(

How do you determine the exact mixture requirement when you first fit one??? Is it to be 'taken' that whatever the reading is when running standard is correct, then you match that as closely as possible when adding the nitrous???

And after doing a little reading - will my cars Lambda sensor effect the readings when using N2O? As I'm thinking it may reduce the normal fuelling if I was running too rich and vice versa - or is it not quick enough to do either safely? Could this be the reason neither test showed definitive results if it was altering the cars fuelling to compensate for what the pulsoids were adding?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

We offer one of the best AFR units available and we can give you all the info needed to achieve optimum settings when using it.

http://www.noswizard.com/product_desc.php?id=211

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:07 pm 
Learner

Cheers, already had a look at it. Due to the price I started having a read about them in general thus asking about the cars Lambda sensor thinking it was why I had no results from the tests I carried out - my thinking being it may be money spent on something that may not actually help unless I could bypass the current system somehow, OR, my system was doing all the work anyway in correcting the mixtures.

I'm not au fait on the subject so excuse my ignorance.