NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Retro Car Show test results !!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm 
Wizard

AT LAST!!!

12 MONTHS OF NO CAR HAS BEEN HARD TO STOMACH :cry:

I've had to see the MGB on the drive all this time while saving up and finding time to do the work. I was losing interest by Jan this year as I had been playing with the Fiat Coupe Turbo for many months and I was becoming happy with running mid 13's on the track. So in Feb this year I sold the Fiat and got my behind into gear with the help of my Son Jason who kept pulling me into the garage to finish the engine build....

Long story short!!!!

On Sunday I got back out and ran my PB time from last year with a 10.4 second pass after 3 bedding in runs.
So now I have a baseline to start from for the rest of the season. It was 10 mins to track closure so I put the nitrous back as it was last year at 150 shot, but with less start power, a slightly longer build time and a 0.2 nitrous delay (which I dont normally use) + a few more degree's of retard than I have been using. I ran the boost at 12 psi.

The head wind was brisk as it took 9 of us to hold the gazebo down while we lashed it to the trailer and another car. I was clocking just under 11 m/s on my anemometer or 24 mph in real money.

My terminal speed was only 126 as oppsosed to the 129-130 that it should have been and my 60 foot was 1.58 instead of the low 1.4's I ran last year.

AFR at WOT was 11.3 under full load which I'm happy with. I have fitted 2 Zeitronix wide band kits which I'm happy with. It saved me having to go to the dyno for fuelling checks. I can set the idle fuel dead easy now and the first 3 passes were mainly for me to watch the AFR while I pushed it up the strip. Now I can download the logging software and get some data collected.

I did a clean shut off after the finish line and the plugs looked nice and black around end of the thread rings with sooty earth straps up to the middle of the bend where they were clean and grey.

I'm leaving everything as is until the Dragstalgia show on 14-15 July. This time I'm going to nail a hard launch like I used to with the converter held on the footbrake to 2000rpm. That should give me a 1.4 60 foot and hopefully a 10.3 pass :)

FYI
The car has stood for 12 months. My first test before activating the nitorus was a fuel and nitrous flow check. All systems go!! No let by or sluggish operation. And even FRED worked ok even after spending a winter outside and being covered in condensation for months.... Bless him :)

I'm happy !!! :yes:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: Retro Car Show test results !!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:51 am 
Wizard

Sounds good :yes: , get your finger out and lets see the magic 9 ;) :cheers:

Ian

Post subject: Re: Retro Car Show test results !!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 pm 
Wizard

I'll be trying to get a bit quicker next Saturday Ian :)

But to be honest I'll be happy with the low 10's for a while just so I can be on track and having fun without pushing stuff too far for a month or two ;)
I've just been looking at the RWYB attendee's for next weekend and there are some super fast cars on the list with a good few that will possibly run down to the 7's. So I'm not going to get too lairy with the engine setup.

Perry