NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bottle pressure safety concerns
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Some time ago I was informed of more garbage from the nitrous "experts" and this time its about the rupture disc Vs SPRV situation.

These "experts" claim;

1) That rupture discs should remain compulsory.
Funny that considering the technical representatives from all the gas companies know they are dangerous and do NOT even advise them for everyday applications.
If you look at the large filling bottle valves, you'll see they don't have a rupture disc for this very reason. If you still have any doubts just consider this, the bigger the bottle the greater the danger, so if any bottle needed a rupture disc the biggest ones would.

2) That our Safe Pressure Relief Valve (aka BOV or SPRV) is not a better option, despite the benefits that have been discussed in depth on numerous threads since we introduced them.

I was also told that some of our so called staunch supporters agreed with this assessment at first and seemed not to have been convinced by my assertions. However, as time has passed and numerous customers have extolled the benefits of our unique SPRV, those "experts" have been proven WRONG!!!

To further prove this point we have carried out some demonstrations that we have video'd and have posted on the video page of the web site.

These clips show the HUGE advantages of the SPRV over the crude and dangerous rupture discs that other companies use.

To those so called "experts" spying here again, let me reiterate that all your lies and untruths will only result in the speeding up of our program to post unquestionable proof of just what fools you all are.

To all my supporters, we will be posting more proof of the superiority of our products and the inferiority of their knowledge ASAP

Regards

Last edited by Noswizard on Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:26 pm 
Oxygen bottle - Nope (oxidiser)
Acetylene - Nope (flammable)
Butane - Nope (flammable)
Nitrous oxide refil bottle - Nope (oxidiser)
Cougar 5 welding gas - Nope (inert)
Argon - Nope (inert)
Argoshield - Nope (inert)
Carbon dioxide - Nope (inert)

Propane - Aha ! found one ! (flammable)

So thats Air products, BOC and Calor who say you don't need a burst disc on anything but propane :? Wierd !

I've just realised whats going to happen if my garage ever catches fire :shock:
(plus paint thinner, octane booster, nitro fuel, paint, white spirits..........)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:04 pm 
Site Admin

So do the expert "experts" have any idea????

I assume they work on the basis that it's safer out than in even though it's bloody dangerous either way but why only propane????

Someone should tell these other "so called experts" that they ought to read up on such matters, before they spout off crap about my products.

Thanks for the info Loopy. ;-)

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:00 am 
:lol: That was just a quick wander around my garage.
Having a fag which with hindsight may not have been a good idea :shock:
Christ, how much simpler and more obvious can you possibly get ?
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot !

At least pick on something a little more obscure, DUMBASSES !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:27 pm 
Well I had a fun day looking for ANYTHING regarding "pressure relief".
Talk about a grey area !
Make of this what you will;

Closest thing i could find was the humble CO2 fire extinguisher.
Due to the fact its quite likely it'll be involved in a fire at some point its regulations differ from industrial bottles.
Quote:
Pressure vessels; Co2 type fire extinguishers.
All CO2 pressure vessels for the purposes of fire suppression should be fitted with a directly mounted pressure relief valve for the purposes of maintaining the pressure of the vessel to below that of the burst pressure of said vessel with an appropriate safety factor taken into account.

Industrial regulations for gasses stored in purpose made portable pressure vessels;
Best I could get was that the bottles
Quote:
are designed to withstand any and all reasonable circumstances without rupturing, in the specific instance of fire then the valve body is considered to be a "pressure relief device" since it will fail before the bottle from heat.

Typical gas bottles like the ones for heaters cookers etc supplied by Calor gas.
Quote:
Fitted with a "self resetting pressure relief valve" at a pressure setting of 50% the theoretical burst pressure of the bottle

I was wrong about Butane by the way, my bottle although a "proper" one is classed as "disposable" in the sense that the bottle is intended to fail as pressure relief, but since its thin steel it'll simply split open, not grenade itself like heavy steel.
The ones you would normally use in a "super-ser" heater have spring loaded pressure relief valves

And if you think trying to find information on the bloody bottles was difficult, try the valves !
Nearest i could get was "Pressure vessel, pressure relief safety valves"
And i couldn't find a single mention of burst disks, only automatic self resetting pressure valves that are "fit for the purpose"
No mention of material, type or spec just "fit for purpose"

What is it about safety ? If it could involve someone getting hurt they bury it so deep you need to pipe in sunlight :roll:
I'm hoping to get hard copies of the above, or at least links to them.

Last edited by Loopy on Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:47 pm 
Site Admin

Well, well, well, what a mine of information you are Loopy!!!!

So it seems my efforts to improve the safe use of nitrous were unnecessary by law (as I'd been informed by the experts at Air Products), so why did I bother???
For the same reason I design all my parts to be the best, it's what I'm about!!! I can't help see the flaws in existing components and can't help wanting to make a better design.
I've seen first hand, the hazards of a rupture disc (or burst disc) letting go and I knew I could make a better device to do the job. Whilst I didn't come up with the idea of a pressure relief valve, as many exist on other applications (as Loopy has stated above), I am the only one who has put safety before profit, by incorporating one as standard equipment on all our systems. Not only that but for anyone who is "super" concerned (needlessly I might add) about the contents of their bottle escaping, the SPRV has been designed to work with a rupture disc and when used this way makes a disc rupture much safer.
One other point that may have been missed by some "experts" is that when a rupture disc burst the whole contents is lost and you're stuck without gas till you get a replacement, which is both costly and inconvenient!!!

The same principles I applied to the SPRV are applied to all our components and I'll explain all those advantages in other threads as time permits.

Never mind safe sex, if it's safe nitrous you want then Highpower Systems is the only way.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:00 pm 
Did you know : Interesting fact, when used as an anaesthetic the human body will contain around 25 litres of nitrous oxide gas ?
Or thats its a potent analgesic but crap anaesthetic, you need a concentration of 70% to produce unconsciousness ?
For general pain killing its used in a 50% mix :shock:
That would explain why i've never understood the worries about the bloody stuff.
I must have damn near gassed myself a few times yet never suffered the first symptom "lightheadedness".
I know they use a mask but they must damn near ram it down your throat ! No chance in a small garage or vented car. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Funny you should mention that but I'm probably one of the few people to have experienced nitrous oxide as a true anaesthetic at it's full strength.

When I had my leg ripped off in a motor cycle accident some 30 years ago, I was laid at the side of the road in a "touch of pain" (LOL), bleeding to death. For over 1/2 an hour I screamed for someone to hit me over the head with a brick to put me out of the pain.
Eventually an ambulance arrived and I begged the guy to put me out of my pain, then low and behold he pulls out a mask and pumps me full of nitrous (and air). There I am sucking and gulping in great lung fulls, desperate to be knocked out but then it hit me that I might lose the will to live and therefore die if I went under with the nitrous, so even after a few minutes of gulping down great lungfulls of nitrous I still had the presence on mind to make a logical decision.

So to recap, even when nitrous was fed to me via a mask in the right concentration to knock out a donkey and I'm sucking great lungfulls into kill my pain, it was still not strong enough to stop me making a rational decision, nor was it particularly any good at numbing the pain.

Then these "experts" wonder why I'm less than impressed by peoples concerns about a 'microscopic' release of nitrous gas, into the huge volume of air in a car via my SPRV - give me a break!!!

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Last edited by Noswizard on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:31 pm 
Theres only one way to silence any critics, have the air purity tested.
Expensive and fairly pointless since they'll just pick on jet sizes or solenoid colour or.......
Now maybe if they got off their asses and made theirs better they wouldn't have to do so much anti advertising :roll:
They look an awful lot like the various political parties.
"Choose us because they're crap" what a tag line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

You'll never see any other company try to do anything other than make money.
My problem is, I'm obsessed with showing the likes of the Mickey mouse "experts", the cowboy brigade, the low life thieves and the US companies (that have spent the last 20 years selling obsolete designs), that I can do it so much better than they can and unlike the false claims by the others, I can prove it!!!

So despite the fact that my profit has fallen over the last year or 2 due to all the huge improvements we've incorporated in our systems over that period (without making any price increases), I'm still spending more on new improved products (like the new smooth system) than all the other companies put together!!!

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

So much for the garbage from the nitrous "experts" who claim our SPRV is unsafe and that rupture discs are best.

Contrary to their claims, the SPRV is obviously extremely beneficial compared to even a good blow off disc (which are even then still unpredictable) but this link proves that some companies can't even get such a simple component manufactured correctly;

http://www.holley.com/HolleyNews/NOS%20 ... Notice.asp

The contents of this link also prove how IMPORTANT bottle pressure is and the EXTREME risks involved when it's not maintained correctly, so you'd think ALL companies would fit SPRVs to their bottles, if they were at all concerned about their customers safety, more than their own profits.

Anyone wanting SAFE, SUPERIOR product design and quality, should know where to come by now.

Regards

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)