NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Project G-O-D: The Goped of Doom!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:15 pm 
Learner

Holy smoke :twisted:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

AWESOME - excellent job - now get a progressive fitted :twisted: :yes: :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:28 am 
Wizard

Well folks, it's official...

I present to you... the WORLD's FIRST...

PROGRESSIVELY-CONTROLLED NITROUS GOPED SCOOTER!!!

Attachment:
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG [ 156.01 KiB | Viewed 29701 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2392.JPG
IMG_2392.JPG [ 160.57 KiB | Viewed 29701 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2394.JPG
IMG_2394.JPG [ 171.09 KiB | Viewed 29701 times ]

Now I can achieve crazy acceleration and speed without the wild hit!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:12 am 
Learner

:yes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:24 am 
Wizard

I ended up going a mere 34 MPH in that video and there was plenty of room to go. An easy 40 can be had with more RPM. With an even LARGER drive spindle, I can top 50+ easy with even the smallest nitrous jetting. If I can lean out the nitrous/fuel mix, then the engine can clean out and reach higher RPM and higher top speed.

Currently, my drive ratio is 6.32:1 and I need about a 4.8:1 to reach 51.7 MPH at 16000 RPM. It'll be a total PIG without the lovely nectar, but I can surely say that it'll still be total ROCKET on the hit, especially with 5 HP worth of the nectar!

The next set of tests will be to see how well the scooter copes with the progressive power, starting at the 2.5hp. After I get comfortable, then I can step up to the 5 hp and start shortening the time between the start power and 100%. The only thing that sucks is my short drive ratio, the thing gets to top speed way to quickly! ROFL!!! :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:21 pm 
Learner

I look forward to the updates on this :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:45 pm 
Wizard

All I can say for an update is this: I'M TOO SCARED TO TRY THE 5HP!! :omgrofl:

I managed to get up to 3.75 HP hit with the 30% start and it is really tough to hold the handle bars tight to my gut. The scoot feels like it's really trying to swing out from under my feet and this is NOWHERE NEAR 100% OF THE JETTING!! The short test area I used was simply TOO SHORT for the 9.9 second build up time to pass, and I have to leave enough room to brake to a stop or else I'd end up eating massive curbage!!!

Unfortunately, the rains came and wiped out my chances of going for top end runs. :tard:

On the upside, the engine runs awesomely and it won't stall if I get up in the rev range. Once the engine passes through the excess butane gas, it fires up again as normal. Unfortunately, static tests are unachievable with this engine even though the previous one did fine with it: it must be the port arrangement.

I need that 4.8:1 ratio for me to use the 5HP. On 6.32:1, the top end comes too quickly for such power settings.

I'm working on the video footage now. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:06 am 
Wizard

Minimax Install

Minimax Test

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:24 pm 
Learner

very interesting :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:02 am 
Wizard

I'm working with alcohol a lot as of late so I decided to experiment with the Goped to see what results I would get from GRAVITY fed alcohol fuel instead of the butane propane. I'd like the engine to run cooler for sustained high speed runs if possible without making ANY modifications to the piston.

I'd also like to completely eliminate the fuel lag from deactivation of the system. Although the problem has been minimized significantly, it would be nice to be able to 'blip' the system for fun without having it flame out.

But before I test the system with nitrous, I have to check the flow of the alcohol with some math. I'm using a 25 fuel atomizing nozzle and 24" of height from the nozzle. I do have long pipe routing so I have to verify the flow amounts, but some quick testing revealed some pretty decent flow with 12 inches of height, and since its a 25 nozzle, it should provide enough extra fuel for decent power gains on nitrous and alky. If anything, I could revert back to petrol-base fuel OR mix petrol and alky to achieve the desire results.

I will revert back to the propane with I find the balls to shoot for higher HP goals, but even with less than a 5hp hit, the scoot just FLIES on the lovely nectar!

Attachments:
IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG [ 176.93 KiB | Viewed 29655 times ]
IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG [ 135.15 KiB | Viewed 29655 times ]
IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG [ 177.5 KiB | Viewed 29655 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

8) :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:12 am 
Wizard

Ok, here's the scoop: IT WORKED (static test only here)! :D

Albeit it DID run pretty rich on the static test, but I'll get to that in a bit.

With the 24" head pressure for the 25 size spray nozzle, I carried out a fluid test which would tell me the approximate amount of bhp I would be able to achieve. I ended up with a result of 2.85 bhp for denatured alcohol's specific gravity. So I figured that I could just slap a 5 jet into the nitrous side and all should be well. EXCEPT, that it was TOO RICH on the static test which made me really HAPPY because now I know that I can make just about the same power as I was already making, so no loss there!

Now, the test I performed revealed X amount of fuel in Y amount of time, but there is one variable that was a LURKING variable and that was the atmospheric pressure. During nitrous injection, there is a low pressure area that occurs which increases the amount of flow from the fuel (Bornoulli's Principle) and that pressure is further DECREASED from the increase of engine speed during the static test.

Therefore, I have MORE fuel at my disposal and i can continue to step up the nitrous to get pretty close to where I was prior or even more. However, that will be left to further tests to reveal.

I have to say that using a liquid fuel, instead of a gaseous one, has totally eliminated the engine stalling from the clutch pulling away too early in the run. This also gives me the freedom to 'play around' instead of always having to calculate WHERE and WHEN I need to be to make sure I get a good sprint.

The alky will also keep my engine TOTALLY untouched internally, whereas other fuels would create too much heat that would cause piston problems inherent to 2 stroke engines. Also, the transparent reservoir will help me keep visual track of fuel levels rather than weighing them. Finally, there are NO MECHANISMS to fail and we already know how Pulsoids are absolutely reliable! :yes:

So that was my quick story about my test results and I hope to be able to work with possibly manipulating the pressure inside the fuel reservoir with a simple hand pump so that various levels of power can be achieved on the same spray nozzle.

The YouTube vid: Goped on Alcohol

Last edited by Turbobox on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:20 am 
Wizard

By the way, DENATURED ALCOHOL can be made from up to as much as 50% METHANOL and Ethyl alcohol... so don't get caught up with trying to hunt down only meth at speed shops where the local hardware store will do!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:37 pm 
Wizard

It now exists! I'll easily break 50 mph with this size spindle!
Attachment:
IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2772.JPG [ 113.54 KiB | Viewed 29556 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:36 pm 
Learner

your going to need a parachute :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:03 pm 
Wizard

Service announcement: The Goped of Doom will be retiring very soon.

Shed no tears: there is a successor ready to take its place as the supreme nitrous demo vehicle.

There will be no reveal as of yet, BUT know that the replacement will not require skills on 2 wheels. :twisted: Same 2-stroke SFBK type deal ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:27 pm 
Learner

ive seen the replacement ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:13 am 
Wizard

Aaaaay-OOOOh!!!

I'm summonin the balls to give my gee oh dee a ride and give it some Wiz Majik!

As some of you (who stick around anyways) know, I retired this Goped some time ago and I haven't rode it in a LONG time. Well now I'm runnin low on the Musty gas so I decanted the remainder of the gas to my portable Wizard system. This Ped was once equipped with a progressive Pulsoid system and my portable system (the now called QFNK) is no different.

I'm gonna whack a 1.5:1 N/F jetting of ~4 bhp using SOFT Minimax settings with reset ON. I just want to see what this engine will do with the BIG spindle as it won't top out with it on motor by a long shot. The acceleration without the lovely nectar is very slow and it will even burn the clutch after a while, so the gas will very much improve getting up to speed.

This is just for fun so I'm not going crazy with the Majik because I don't want to kill myself on this thing because hitting small objects on hard rubber tyres is very hazardous at 40+ mph.

It's important to take it easy on the gas because it makes a HUGE difference on a 2 stroke!!! :D

This is all dependent on weather and traffic conditions so no guarantees that I get to play.

EDIT: It is also now equipped with a tuned PIPE and that's the ONLY change to it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:01 pm 
Wizard

Total FAIL!

I went to hit the gas and bog, then I tried again: BOOOOG and stall. The fuel was shootin in without any of the lovely nectar! So I went back home and when I disconnected one of the fuel pusloid wires then the nitrous would fire, indicating that the battery had lost the juice to fire both at the same time. I never had this problem before EXCEPT that I did charge the battery last night and I suspect that it loses its energy over time; every time I've used it prior, the system worked just fine when the battery was recently charged up.

Lesson of my day: top off the battery just before using the system! :albino:

Turns out that on motor only, the top speed is in the mid 30's (about 34-35 mph) at 9850 peak rpm. The goal is 14000 rpm which is anywhere between 48-50 mph, depending on any losses between the drive spindle and the tyre surface.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:58 pm 
Wizard

I am able to reach 40 mph on motor only with my Goped with a longer stretch of road and a good clean out of the motor. 11850 peak rpm!

I had an issue with my cotton filter half clogging my fuel jet causing a lean condition, which seized my engine. Not a bad seize as the engine fired right up and took me home as if nothing happened. I will check it before I attempt another run on the nectar but I can assure you all that the jets are clean now and should deliver proper performance!

45 mph or more next time? :cheers:

Motor only sprint:
https://youtu.be/o6Mya_Xot2s

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6