NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: BMW Z4 3.0I Install
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
Learner

Max is back today with the updated software, and just finished fitting it back in the car, got the Nitrous transducer set up and working, calibrated it first without pressure and then with the bottle on hey presto, although I was surprised it was reading 850psi as its been quite cold here today only around 13C although the car may have warmed up a bit inside the boot from the sun. Unfortunately they forgot to enclose the bigger jets :tard:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Sparkplugs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 pm 
Wizard

bmwz4 wrote:
Max is back today with the updated software, and just finished fitting it back in the car, got the Nitrous transducer set up and working, calibrated it first without pressure and then with the bottle on hey presto, although I was surprised it was reading 850psi as its been quite cold here today only around 13C although the car may have warmed up a bit inside the boot from the sun. Unfortunately they forgot to enclose the bigger jets :tard:

glad you sorted out the xducer readings.

In regards to the jets. Just let them know and they'll set you straight. Their service is primo and they WILL make it right.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:13 pm 
Learner

Just been out after fitting the 120N 50F jets, very smooth midrange surge in second and third gears, speedo is going around a lot quicker, not really into drag starts but 1st gear is over very quickly with rapid change into 2nd required.

You get used to it quite quickly dont you, in so much as you noticed it quite a bit when you turn off the arming switch just as much as when switching it on. More testing to be done, ive a 0-60 app on my phone so might give it try later

Finally.... the fruits of my labour, still got the 150N 60F to try as well.....Yipee :bounce:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:34 am 
Wizard

8) 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:26 pm 
Learner

:yes: :yes: :compress:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:20 am 
Learner

Ive just done a plug chop with the current set up, probably looks a bit darker in the photo than it actually was, what do you think? My intention today is to go and try the 150N 60F jets
Attachment:
20170506_105154.jpg
20170506_105154.jpg [ 307.68 KiB | Viewed 30760 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:18 am 
Learner

On another note, when I fitted the pulsoids it was a compromise position, ie cool position Vs length of pipe to injector but looking at it now im wondering if I would benefit much from a relocation of them. I have enough room to fit them lower in the engine bay and probably reducing the approx 18" length of pipes to the injector to 10-12", they would be slightly closer to the engine but the manifold is on the other side anyway?
Also thinking about DP, would I get much better performance with DP over SP even with the same size jets or is it just the fact you can go higher, safer, with the DP set up
Attachment:
20170506_120306.jpg
20170506_120306.jpg [ 326.35 KiB | Viewed 30760 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:43 am 
Wizard

Were those plugs new when you had done the plug check? They look ok, except that there is a bit of carbon speckle on the porcelain that could be a sign of minor detonation, but again it could be just normal carbon from normal time in the engine. It's normal to have an engine decarbonise itself and stick a bit to the plug over time, but it shouldn't be the case with new plugs.

Moving on to the piping, you shouldn't need to spend any extra money on a DP setup given the power goals you have. Plus you have a Max Extreme, if you have the nitrous delay set up, then you shouldn't need to do anything to the setup as it is. The delay will allow the time needed for the fuel to reach the injector along with the nitrous.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:44 am 
Wizard

Also, you haven't posted a full overview of the installation. Show us some pics! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:04 pm 
Learner

Everything from start to finish is on this thread including all the pictures

Just been out testing the 150N jets, had my mate in the car, he thought it was incredible, cant get over how ordinary the car feels with it switched off and it wasnt slow to start with.

The plugs have done less that 50 miles, I dont think there is a problem car performs faultless although may need some new rear springs and shocks and tyres at this rate

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:47 pm 
Wizard

Yes, I've taken as good a look as possible with the pixel rate and it does appear to be normal carbon. In the future, use new plugs (even a set used only for af checks) so that the readings are 100% readable.

And I told you that 75 extra bhp would be a total transformation lol.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:32 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
I dont think there is a problem car performs faultless although may need some new rear springs and shocks and tyres at this rate

Your car is now so powerful you need to replace/uprate other parts... Not bad problems to have really ;)

imagine how much it would cost to get that kind of extra power through conventional tuning... Nitrous is the shit :D :yes:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:16 pm 
Learner

Yes I could have got a Gtech supercharger which would have given me 75bhp but thats £3500 not including fitting, which I could do myself anyway, if I come in to some spare cash it would be a nice project and I could run the funny gas with it too! It would still be way cheaper than getting a Z4M and almost certainly quicker.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:01 pm 
Learner

bmwz4 wrote:
Yes I could have got a Gtech supercharger which would have given me 75bhp but thats £3500 not including fitting, which I could do myself anyway, if I come in to some spare cash it would be a nice project and I could run the funny gas with it too! It would still be way cheaper than getting a Z4M and almost certainly quicker.

I was contemplating getting a supercharger for my fiesta, theres a company in essex called o.c motorsport who offer a drive in drive out conversion for £3250...

I have the same power as the super charger for a third of the price with nitrous ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:12 pm 
Wizard

i have both.... :D

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:48 am 
Wizard

Goyle wrote:
bmwz4 wrote:

I was contemplating getting a supercharger for my fiesta, theres a company in essex called o.c motorsport who offer a drive in drive out conversion for £3250...

I have the same power as the super charger for a third of the price with nitrous ;)
Remember, Dave, that you actually have MORE power than that of the supercharger because of the power the nitrous makes in the lower rev range as well as the upper.
In contrast, the centifugal supercharger you were looking at made its power only in the upper rpm range.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:23 am 
Learner

After speaking to David at Highpower I relocated the pulsoids this weekend so that I could shorten the pipes to the injector, probably by about half their original length, I also reduced the build time on the max to 1.8 seconds.
Wow what a difference... the traction control light just flickers on in first and second but doesnt hold the car back, its quite scary in a good way. I feel the car must be quite close to its optimum now, any quicker would be insane, the front end steering is quite light on hard acceleration and makes you keep your eyes on the road.

Im waiting for some calipers to arrive so that I can uprate the front brakes to 325mm discs up from 300

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:12 pm 
Wizard

:yes: :yes: :yes:

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:40 pm 
Learner

:twisted: :twisted: :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:30 pm 
Learner

Ok....so ive just come to the end of the bottle, performance dropped of as you would expect and pressure too, I took the bottle out and opened up the valve and it seemed like there was still a good bit in there from the pressure and there was some liquid, how much would you expect to be left in the bottle (11lb) when theres a noticeable decrease in performance?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 am 
Wizard

Once the bottle reaches the last 2 pounds, the pressure drop off is very quick and the liquid level around the pick up tube becomes fairly low. The last pound is generally gaseous nitrous at that point and would be rather poor performance because the tube does not pick up any liquid. Usually, I drop the jet sizes to lower the pressure drop and consumption rate when below 50% of the bottle on the street just to stretch out the bottle a bit.

The pressure overall should not change, given the appropriate cylinder temperature, if there is some amount liquid nitrous as you say. Have you measured the weight of the cylinder? It is the only method of ensuring the amount of nitrous remaining, short of the bottle indicator system. Also, liquid nitrous exits as a white cloud whereas gaseous nitrous is totally clear.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm 
Learner

I have the smaller 5lb bottle and i always get mine refilled when i hit the last pound of nitrous, as the performance drop off is very noticeable.

My nitrous man has told me in the past that with an 11lb bottle the last 2lb will mainly be gas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm 
Learner

Aha thats sounds about right then, anyway just put a fresh full bottle in ready for the week end :shock: Hopefully meeting up with my mate in his Porsche 997 325bhp cabriolet, that will be interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:27 pm 
Wizard

I think you'll give him a good ole wallopin'. :blackeye:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next