Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 300ZX Twin Turbo - From start to now
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 am 
Learner

Hey Guys,

My name is Nem and here is my 300ZX.

Bought the car back in 2009 as a NON TURBO with a 2.5" Custom catback, UDP, Pod & standard clutch. Was a very nice looking car, atleast to me, and the motor was in perfect nick so i decided to buy it.

From when i first bought it

Not long after i bought it did i have my first go at the dragstrip, here are some photo's

After 5 runs the best i could come up with was a pathetic 15.017 @ 97.22MPH . My clutch was slipping on anything more then a 2500rpm launch so i had to take off really easy.

About 5 months after that my clutch decided to call it quits, held up well for a stock clutch IMO. After looking for hours i decided on my new clutch, a "Gripforce F1" racing Stage 3 Button Clutch. Oh boy did this take some getting use to for the first day, soon as i picked up the car i got stuck in peakhour traffic! At the drags was chirping 3rd gear at 100KPH

A good 1500k's had passed and the clutch had been well worn in i decided to have another crack at the drags, i HAD to get that 14 second pass!

Decided i would take it easy on my first run so i wouldn't stuff up, managed a 14.847 @ 95MPH first try! :happy: What was even funnier was that i had tried to select 4th but had trouble so i let off a bit before the finish line. Ok Second run, was really excited to see what i could get, time to see what it was capable of

Not a bad time for a factory non turbo 300ZX, especially considering it trapped 95-97MPH pretty consistently! My next planned mod was to throw on a set of drag radials and try for a low 14 second pass, it had the MPH but i never had the money unfortunately.

FAST FORWARD about two years and i have bought two other 300ZX for wrecking, one of which was a Twin turbo so i decided the engine would look better in my car :D

Spent HEAPS on preventative maintenance

Then took the engine to a good friend of mine for him to complete the work as i had no time.

What i had done was:
New Timing Belt
New Idlers + Tensioners
New Seals all round
ALL new gaskets - except headgaskets
New Water Pump
New Oil Pump
ACL Race Bearings - Mains and rods
New Sump
OEM Manual Turbos Fitted
EGR Deleted
Flywheel Machined
SPEEDI crank sleeve

Compression tested between 148-156 on all cylinders.

Then some other bits and bobs, look at these FULL 2.5" turbo inlets compared to the factory ones!... the factory ones cap out at 585cfm while the larger ones flow 900+cfm :D

Bit of a tight fit.

Ended up calling a few friends over, one thing lead to another :loser:

So fast forward another two months and the car is running, registered and being driven regularly. I also managed to win a bid on a Z32 at auction that was owned by a friend of mine about a year before being auctioned off. This car has a forged motor with GT28RS turbos making 480rwhp..

I DID have plans to restore it but it ended up too far gone and the motor was cactus, both headgaskets blew and the bottom end bearings were shot. So plans went back to modify my red Z32. Funny thing is though, this car came with HEAPS of goodies on it.

A forged motor, in need of a rebuild but a good start
Nismo 555cc Injectors
Custom made exhaust
Work XT7 Rims
324mm Brakes with custom adaptors
Oil cooler
Turbosmart Eboost2
Turbosmart FPR
etc

In the end i sold off a large amount of parts, kept the motor, rims, brakes, suspension and EBC for my own car. All in all i made back what i paid for the car and the rest of the parts i kept for my own. Basically thousands in parts for free.

18x9.5 with 295/30R18 Hankook EVo1's

Threw in the Turbosmart FPR, upped the fuel pressure and upped the boost to 16PSI

but for some reason the car seemed extremely slow on low boost and not as quick as it should be on high boost. So after looking around it seemed the factory ECU in the car didn't like the mods and boost level on the car and was dropping power HEAVILY in the 5500+RPM range and my CAS was set to 10 degree's instead of 15.... In the logs the car was upto 11 degree's retarded in some area's.

The car was so off that it ended up LOSING to a honda S2000 on a rolling start and i was ready to burn it. In the end i used a spare Japanese Chipped ECU that ran more aggressive timing and no boost/fuel cut and the car livened up REAL QUICK. It ended up being able to overwhelm the massive 295's in 2nd gear on high boost. Unfortunately the clutch gave up and i had to go out and order a new one.

It is a Competition Stage 3 Brass Button clutch

This thing gripped VERY well and then not long after some MORE goodies arrived :D

NISTUNE ECU with feature pack update
GM Flex fuel sensor
BDE Top Feed Fuel Raisl
Bosch 1000cc E85 Injectors with plugs

So work started on my car for the switch to E85

Then this happened....

I was always interested in tuning and after doing loads and loads of reading and making small adjustments to this car i decided to give it a full remap on the road, all on my own.

I ended up giving it a fairly safe timing map(17* up top) and 11.5AFR still on 98 Octane fuel, the car logged 45% Injector duty cycle and 4.7v AFM voltage....However after a few weeks i got bored of the power AGAIN and decided to give it a retune on E85, what a difference! Getting the boost upto 21PSI we logged injector duty cycle at 69%. It was great fun but now completely useless on the street, with full boost at ~3500RPM it would spin 2nd gear and HALF THROTTLE :compress: The car is faster on 12PSI and E85 than 17PSI on 98 octane!

So with the car going like a cut snake i decided to see what it could do on the drag strip, with some Mickey Thompson ET street 255/60R15 tyres

Although it didnt go to plan :( the car broke BOTH half shafts on my first attempt, seems the factory Z32 NA LSD has weak half shafts and any decent power and grip means they will snap like twigs. So after ages of looking i managed to source an R32 GTR 4.11 LSD which i will be matching with Z32 TT half shafts(guys do wheelies on them!) to help strengthen up the rear end. I am still waiting for the LSD to arrive and have placed my order for a WON SB150i2 Nitrous Kit :D I am hoping that the next time i go to the drag strip that i can reel off a 10.99 or better.

Also a quick shout out to Trevor, who has been so helpful i didn't think it was possible for one person to care so much about his customers and offer so much help! I'd choose WON just for the CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Current Mods to the car:
Twin 2.5" Catback Exhaust
Twin 2.5" Front Pipes
Highflow Cats
Factory Dump Pipes
Auto Inlet cams(less duration, slightly better low end)
Manual Turbos(larger exh. housing than auto ones)
Selin Dual Maf - Dual Intake
BDE Fuel Rails
Bosch 1000cc Injectors
Nistune ecu - Tuned by me :loser:
flex fuel sensor
Eboost2
NA Z32 LSD 4.08 - Broken Axles
Mickey Thompson ET Street 255/60-15
21PSI and E85.

Next stage is:
WON SB150i2 Nitrous Kit
Walbro 485 E85 Fuel Pump
R32 GTR 4.11 LSD w/ Z32 TT Half shafts.

My end goal is to rebuild the spare engine from the silver car with:
GTX2867 Turbos
JUN 264/9.5mm camshafts
3" Split Dump Pipes and Exhaust
2.5" Intercooler and Inlet Piping
TH400
Direct Port Kit from WON

When thats done i'd be hoping to be in the 9 second range :D :D :D :bow:

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Nitrous Oxide Systems
 Post subject: Re: 300ZX Twin Turbo - From start to now
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Great story/report. 8)

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Have you made any further progress and fitted the WON system and if so do you have any pics for us?

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:58 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
Have you made any further progress and fitted the WON system and if so do you have any pics for us?

Sorry for the late reply, i only JUST got the car mobile again. I had the R32 GTR LSD fitted, my full 2.5" intercooler piping, larger sidemount intercoolers and 3" split dumps pipes. I haven't had the chance to fit the WON system just yet as work is still very full on and the car only gets driven once a week if that. I can report that the midrange power after these mods is insane, the car makes full power at 5000RPM and will even spin 3rd gear on high boost. I will look into fitting the WON kit soon, but its winter atm so rain and extremely cold weather stop a lot of work. With how quick it is i can't wait to see what it will run with a 100 shot up its throat :D I am aiming for a 10.99 or better so lets see how well that goes :D

A good friends 2+2 300ZX(much heavier than mine) ran 11.6 with a catback, intercoolers, injectors and E85. He went on to run a 11.2 on a 60 shot of nitrous and could have run much quicker but intercooler piping and coilpack connectors kept popping off, so i'm hoping mine can crack a 10. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:07 pm 
Wizard

SRB-2NV wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, i only JUST got the car mobile again. I had the R32 GTR LSD fitted, my full 2.5" intercooler piping, larger sidemount intercoolers and 3" split dumps pipes. I haven't had the chance to fit the WON system just yet as work is still very full on and the car only gets driven once a week if that. I can report that the midrange power after these mods is insane, the car makes full power at 5000RPM and will even spin 3rd gear on high boost. I will look into fitting the WON kit soon, but its winter atm so rain and extremely cold weather stop a lot of work. With how quick it is i can't wait to see what it will run with a 100 shot up its throat :D I am aiming for a 10.99 or better so lets see how well that goes :D

I'm also ready to inject 100 hp into my 6 cyl turbo as well. Coupled with a soon to be installed water injection system, 900 hp should be within reach of my grand ole highway beast... the PITA Lexus.

A good friends 2+2 300ZX(much heavier than mine) ran 11.6 with a catback, intercoolers, injectors and E85. He went on to run a 11.2 on a 60 shot of nitrous and could have run much quicker but intercooler piping and coilpack connectors kept popping off, so i'm hoping mine can crack a 10. :twisted:

I'm sure you will break the 10.99 barrier. May I ask what kit he is running?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:21 am 
Site Admin

SRB-2NV wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

It's been proven over and over again that WON systems produce much quicker ET's than ANY other kit, so there's no doubt that you will run quicker than your friend, as long as your car is comparable without nitrous. :yes:

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:41 am 
Learner

Turbobox wrote:
SRB-2NV wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

I'm also ready to inject 100 hp into my 6 cyl turbo as well. Coupled with a soon to be installed water injection system, 900 hp should be within reach of my grand ole highway beast... the PITA Lexus.

I'm sure you will break the 10.99 barrier. May I ask what kit he is running?

My Friend is running an N.O.S branded kit i believe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:45 am 
Learner

Noswizard wrote:
SRB-2NV wrote:
Noswizard wrote:

It's been proven over and over again that WON systems produce much quicker ET's than ANY other kit, so there's no doubt that you will run quicker than your friend, as long as your car is comparable without nitrous. :yes:

His car is heavier, had just basic bolt ons, a 60 shot but his car is also running a ford C4 auto transmission. Mine is around 100kg lighter, has almost every bolt on available but is a 5spd. I'm fairly confident it can run a 10, i just need some time to get the ball rolling.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:04 pm 
Learner

Well i've FINALLY decided to fit the system. However i've had to go extremely long on both the fuel and nitrous solenoids. As stated above, we're really not allowed to have these systems fitted here so unfortunately its what i had to do.

Fuel side only on this pic.

AGAIN, yes the lines are stupidly long... i really had no choice. I'll be getting a Max to control everything when i get back from my holiday in August, till then i'll be testing the lower end with a 25-35hp shot at the drag strip. I'll see what i can do about the lines going near the radiator and i'll do my best to insulate them from heat.

Updates from last time i posted:
Car made 403rwhp at 18psi > 15psi on a dyno dynamics dyno with extremely conservative timing.
Fitted the R32 GTR 4.11 Diff and 6 Bolt Z32 Twin Turbo Axles
Went back to the drag strip only to have transmission issues and the car not wanting to go into 2nd gear (13.1 @ 116MPH)
Changed gear oil to one that is Synchro friendly as the Redline lightweight shockproof wasn't.
Found out the car has weak wastegates and wont go over 20psi no matter what i dial into my Eboost2.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, great to see your still working at it after all this time.

My dad also has a 300TT so I'll be particularly looking forward to seeing your results.

I have been looking through at your install... I note that you do understand that your pipe lines are really long. A bit of room for thought, if you use the system with lines that long firstly you will experience extreme lag but more importantly fuel lag so you will run risk of a bad lean-out when firing up the system. You noted purchasing a max which is a wise choice but you didn't mention if you plan to use the nitrous before getting one. The max as I'm sure you have read up will cure the issue of fuel lag with its delay features however in order to do so it you will still have some serious lag from activation to feeling any power.

Typically for the power levels you are suggesting starting at you will unlikely need any of the tuning features of the controller. Ramping, builds, gears etc so you will only benefit from removing the lean-out. As an alternative might I suggest you consider moving to a twin solenoid setup. With another set of solenoids you can have pipe lengths around 6" long. You will have zero lag on that kind of system which with or without controller will feel and yield better results. It would also allow room for larger horsepower at a later date.

These are just suggestions, if you want to discuss all your options just give us a call or keep posting on here and we'll gladly offer our assistance.

Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:41 pm 
Learner

Dave-noswizard wrote:

My dad also has a 300TT so I'll be particularly looking forward to seeing your results.

I have been looking through at your install... I note that you do understand that your pipe lines are really long. A bit of room for thought, if you use the system with lines that long firstly you will experience extreme lag but more importantly fuel lag so you will run risk of a bad lean-out when firing up the system. You noted purchasing a max which is a wise choice but you didn't mention if you plan to use the nitrous before getting one. The max as I'm sure you have read up will cure the issue of fuel lag with its delay features however in order to do so it you will still have some serious lag from activation to feeling any power.

Typically for the power levels you are suggesting starting at you will unlikely need any of the tuning features of the controller. Ramping, builds, gears etc so you will only benefit from removing the lean-out. As an alternative might I suggest you consider moving to a twin solenoid setup. With another set of solenoids you can have pipe lengths around 6" long. You will have zero lag on that kind of system which with or without controller will feel and yield better results. It would also allow room for larger horsepower at a later date.

These are just suggestions, if you want to discuss all your options just give us a call or keep posting on here and we'll gladly offer our assistance.

Cheers, Dave

To be honest i will be testing but no more than 25hp or so. If i had my way I'd have the noids right next to the piping but here its considered a "hoon" offense to have even the lines in the car. If a cop spotted the system fitted my car would be impounded for 3 months and I'd lose my license for 3 months :( .

My end goal is to get another nitrous pulsoid and just blank off the crossfires when i drive on the street but that will have to wait till after september. Btw is it safe to remove the lines and use a bolt to blank the crossfires off? What thread is used?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:48 pm 
Wizard

SRB-2NV wrote:
Dave-noswizard wrote:

Cheers, Dave

To be honest i will be testing but no more than 25hp or so. If i had my way I'd have the noids right next to the piping but here its considered a "hoon" offense to have even the lines in the car. If a cop spotted the system fitted my car would be impounded for 3 months and I'd lose my license for 3 months :( .

My end goal is to get another nitrous pulsoid and just blank off the crossfires when i drive on the street but that will have to wait till after september. Btw is it safe to remove the lines and use a bolt to blank the crossfires off? What thread is used?

You can do this with a 10 x 1.0 mm threaded bolt. I did this recently for other reasons :twisted: