NITROUS OXIDE ( nos / n2o ) advice forum

Nitrous Oxide ( NOS / N20 ) Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: My first nitrous kit!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:54 pm 
Learner

Beginning install:

content check

Attachments:
content_check_upload.jpg
content_check_upload.jpg [ 116.27 KiB | Viewed 32729 times ]

2015 Jag XFS 3.0 IRR, Varex Active Exhaust, TCP Intake, VAP Tune, EuroToys crank Pulley, WON SB150i6 D.P. Custom Kit with MaxEx. X2 controller, K&N Filters, Sport Package, 19" Volutions w/Tech Grey Diamond Turned Finish wrapped in Michelin PS 4S

Advertisement

Wizards of NOS Conact US
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:13 am 
Learner

bottle and bracket install. Supereasy !!! Love the new powder coated cylinders. I had to wait an extra week for the powder coating. I think it was well worth the wait. The bottle blends right into the carpeting! What an awesome look!

Attachments:
cylinder_in_trunk.jpg
cylinder_in_trunk.jpg [ 430.27 KiB | Viewed 32721 times ]

2015 Jag XFS 3.0 IRR, Varex Active Exhaust, TCP Intake, VAP Tune, EuroToys crank Pulley, WON SB150i6 D.P. Custom Kit with MaxEx. X2 controller, K&N Filters, Sport Package, 19" Volutions w/Tech Grey Diamond Turned Finish wrapped in Michelin PS 4S
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:21 am 
Learner

nitrous line routed through car. Trying to find a way to get it into the engine bay, but haven't had luck yet. Running behind schedule already. Should of had the pulseoids mounted today :evil: :x

Attachments:
nitrous_line_route_to_engine.jpg
nitrous_line_route_to_engine.jpg [ 342.69 KiB | Viewed 32721 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:27 am 
Learner

The Jaguar got drilled today...I had to make a hole for the nitrous line:

Attachment:
nitrous_footwell.jpg
nitrous_footwell.jpg [ 126.38 KiB | Viewed 32715 times ]

The line came out beneath the brake booster:

Attachment:
nitrous_enginebay.jpg
nitrous_enginebay.jpg [ 168.3 KiB | Viewed 32715 times ]

Mounted the pulsoids using the brackets. I had to modify them a bit. Those things are beefy !!! They were hard to bend.

Attachment:
pulsoids_mounted.jpg
pulsoids_mounted.jpg [ 333.26 KiB | Viewed 32715 times ]

Pulsoids are now in place!!! I had to stop because I could not find a wrench (spanner) to begin fitting the tubing!!! I wrecked my garage looking for the correct size. Found just about every size except the one I needed !!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:33 pm 
Learner

Distributor blocks are now in place. Bending the tubing took alot of patience. Definitely something that takes practice to get right. Don't get in a hurry here!
I took my time and only lost about 8 inches of tube, so feeling pretty good. I will probably need to bend the bottom nitrous tube down a smidgen to get it perfectly level (looks like it is leaning up a little bit). Would have loved to connect the fuel line today, but need to get my hands on a 5mm nut and olive :cry:

I will move on to running wire for the X2 and solenoids. Already t-tapped a CANBUS interface to get RPM and PWM signals. Once I get the fuel line connected the rest should fall into place nicely. There are two big challenges left. One will be drilling and tapping the induction maniold. If I screw up the drill angles, it will be a $600 mistake. The other is finding a good place for the X2 controller. I thought It could fit it into the armrest console, but it won't fit without cutting up the console (not going to do that). I am looking into putting it behind the sunvisor, but I need to figure out a way to see if there is room and a way to secure it in place.

Attachments:
d.b_right.jpg
d.b_right.jpg [ 261.09 KiB | Viewed 32711 times ]
d.b._left.jpg
d.b._left.jpg [ 244.81 KiB | Viewed 32711 times ]
d.b_front.jpg
d.b_front.jpg [ 159.1 KiB | Viewed 32711 times ]

Last edited by DaJagFather on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:07 pm 
Learner

I decided to start laying out the wiring and getting the connections ready. I used the red and black 12 awg wire provided with the kit and cut it to size. I ordered a 7 pack of colored wire that will be arriving this week. I will use that to connect up to the relay harness that I built so color coding stays correct when hooking up to the X2. First, I had to find a good location to get into the engine bay from the cabin. Luckily, it was easy to find. I used the cabin air filter housing:

Attachment:
cabin air filter housing.jpg
cabin air filter housing.jpg [ 394.88 KiB | Viewed 32699 times ]

Last edited by DaJagFather on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm 
Learner

Then it was a simple matter of creating the wiring connections. I got a piggyback connector to provide power for the arming switch and used the car's sunroof fuse. The only deviation I made from the installation instructions is that the sunroof fuse is 15amp and the instructions call for a 10amp fuse location. I think it will be ok?

After that, I made a pigtail connection using t-taps. This will be used to provide power to the solenoids through the 87 pin on the relay:

Attachment:
pigtail_to_pulsoid_ground.jpg
pigtail_to_pulsoid_ground.jpg [ 249.08 KiB | Viewed 32699 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 pm 
Learner

relay wiring harness for arming switch:

Attachments:
relay for arming switch.jpg
relay for arming switch.jpg [ 327.56 KiB | Viewed 32699 times ]

Last edited by DaJagFather on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm 
Learner

last, I found a nice location for mounting the relay and just stuffed the harness in there until the colored wiring gets here:

Attachment:
mounting location for relay.jpg
mounting location for relay.jpg [ 411.52 KiB | Viewed 32699 times ]

I will go back and fill in the drilled holes with black RTV silicone after I wire the solenoids to the X2.

Once I get the nitrous transducer ordered, I can begin getting the X2 wired, and then I move on to drilling the induction manifold which has me a little nervous ( :redface: :redface: :pukeleft: :cry: :cry: :? :? :? ). Once I get through that part of the install I will feel much better. Contemplating taking it to a shop and having them do the drilling, but I figure that they have just as much of a chance to dick it up as I do....lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:35 pm 
Learner

still waiting for the 12 awg wiring to arrive. Wish the postman had nitrous !!!!

Attachments:
X2_controller_wired1.jpg
X2_controller_wired1.jpg [ 450.51 KiB | Viewed 32667 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:22 am 
Learner

so the 12 awg wire that was delivered was solid copper wire ( I ordered stranded copper). I got tired of not making any progress, so I decided to go to the tool store and buy some 12 awg wire. It wasn't the right color, but it got the job done. Got power to the X2 !!! So the unit is functional, but I am not getting an RPM signal. When I run the engine, it should be reading the signal from the CANBUS interface but for some reason it is not. Going to play around with it tomorrow to see if I can figure out what's wrong. Now I am just waiting for the missing parts of the kit to arrive and I can get to work on drilling the induction manifold and bending the tubing:

Attachments:
X2_powered.jpg
X2_powered.jpg [ 364.88 KiB | Viewed 32652 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:48 am 
Learner

Re-routed the wires to the install location of the X2 and trigger switch. It took a while to d, but mamanged to get the interior put back together. The install will be pretty clean :P

The only thing I will need help with is fabricating the cover for the maxy. Took the car in to a fabrication shop to get estimates for a custom cover for the X2. As of right now, I am still working on the RPM signal and not having much luck. Hopefully I didn't throw away 100 quid (about $130 dollars) on a bunk piece of equipment. I ordered this CANBUS interface from the UK thinking it would match up well with the Jag, but haven't been able to isolate the analog RPM signal yet. This confuses me me because I have been talking with the customer support people and the signal is there. Checked wires for continuity, verified that the current is flowing and fluctuating with throttle input, but the X2 is not reading the signal.

Good news is the nitrous transducer and fittings should be on the way tomorrow. That gives me about a week to find an RPM signal for the X2 :bounce:
Attachment:
trigger_location.jpg
trigger_location.jpg [ 442.41 KiB | Viewed 32622 times ]

I just realized, I forgot to wire the solenoid connections..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Attachment:
X2_location.jpg
X2_location.jpg [ 389.61 KiB | Viewed 32622 times ]

The cover will be replaced with a custom piece that will show the X2 controller. I was hoping to buy a spare piano black veneer cover and use it, but was told that it most likely will chip and come out looking shitty, so I will go with a carbon fiber cover that will have cut-outs for the buttons and the screen. Will make sure they make the cut-out nice and wide to show off the WON logo :salute:

Attachments:
cover_to_be_removed.jpg
cover_to_be_removed.jpg [ 496.13 KiB | Viewed 32622 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 am 
Learner

Wires routed to X2 location:

Attachments:
wries_routed to X2.jpg
wries_routed to X2.jpg [ 226.14 KiB | Viewed 32580 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:52 pm 
Learner

Well...everything is wired correctly and the custom cover for the X2 is being fabricated. It should be a sweet looking piece.

Still cannot get an RPM signal. I am past frustrated with this controller. :rofl:

I guess it's time to get in touch with WON to see why I can't get a signal from any of the usual sources. Until then, I am stuck waiting for DHL to deliver the last pieces of the kit.

Merry Christmas !!! :compress:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:16 pm 
Learner

left side

Attachments:
current_x2_left side.jpg
current_x2_left side.jpg [ 183.45 KiB | Viewed 32556 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:18 pm 
Learner

right side....I disconnected the R12 wire because it was not long enough to reach the crank position sensor. Using a longer wire instead

Attachments:
current_x2_right side.jpg
current_x2_right side.jpg [ 184.09 KiB | Viewed 32556 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:56 am 
Learner

Well...the bad news....I purchased an external tach and tapped it into all three possible RPM sources. Nothing on the tach....that actually is also the good news, as now I am certain the issue is not with the controller.

Going to meet with an electrical engineer that is currently building his own nitrous controller for pro-mods. He is confident that he can pull a RPM signal to the X2. While speaking with him over the phone today, I directed him to the WON website so he could see the connections for the X2 and he was very impressed with WON controller. Hopefully he can help me out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I don't currently have time to contribute much to the forum but after taking a brief look at your thread (and a closer look at your pictures of the Max wiring), I thought I'd better point out that it would be beneficial (and reduce the risk of a Max failure or worse still an electrical fire), to ensure that no stray strands of the electrical wire, make contact with the adjoining terminal and/or strands from the adjoining wire/s.

To avoid such potentially costly risks, it's worth the effort to find/use grades of wire, that ensure all the strands fit inside the connectors.

All the best in getting your installation completed and fully functional in the near future.

Best wishes for the New Year

Trev (The WIZARD of NOS)

30 years of nitrous experience and counting!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:49 am 
Learner

Wow! The Wizard himself !! :bow:

I will make it better ! Wire ferrules ordered !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:16 am 
Learner

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I finally have an RPM signal going into the X2 controller from the OBDII port !!!!!

Its about 250 RPM higher than what registers on the instrument cluster tach. so there is still some software coding to do.

It took the help of a brilliant EE to get the signal. He essentially created a CANBUS interface for me. We were using the CB-6 which was not putting out a signal at all. He tested the CB6 in his lab and was not able to get an output signal from the module, so he made one that will pick up any signal that is transmitted through the OBDII port.

Being of the entrepreneurial spirit....I have persuaded him to make ten prototypes that I can take to market.

This pretty much completes the interior portion of he install. Need to crimp the wire ferrules and tuck in the wiring. Then secure the controller and pick up the custom bezel cover to finish off the look.

..... :tard: :tard: :tard: :tard: ...still waiting for the nitrous transducer and missing fittings. Santa is in big trouble :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm 
Learner

Still waiting for the nitrous transducer and missing fittings .... originally ordered the kit in early November. I am being told that Royal Mail does not have tracking info, so I don;t even know if my parts have been shipped or not. Very strange that tracking info is not available from a global carrier. IF I would be told.."hey....JagFather...sorry...we fucked up, and didn't send your order out in time"...I could understand that...instead, I get a childish excuse ...blaming the mail carriers and the holiday season. I hate being lied to...makes me NOT want to do business again. Anyhoo...project on hold indefinitely...until my godamn parts get here! whenever the **** that may be!!!!

Meanwhile...took NOSWIZARDS advice and reworked the wiring to the controller...looks much nicer...glad he took a look and offered his advice:

Attachments:
ferrules_2.jpg
ferrules_2.jpg [ 237.01 KiB | Viewed 32418 times ]
ferrules_connections.jpg
ferrules_connections.jpg [ 78.32 KiB | Viewed 32418 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:47 pm 
Learner

That's looking a superb Install!!!!

:yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:15 am 
Learner

Thanks! It looks really good in the car....not functioning...just...kinda...plugged in...doing nothing.

It will probably be time to sell the car before the missing fittings get shipped....yes...kit ordered and paid for in the middle of November 2017...It i now middle of January 2018. Two months!!! No wonder WON can't get any traction here in the states.

All will be good when I can finally get back to finishing this build 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:15 am 
Learner

That's looking a super install so far :yes:

Loving the Dash Command Screen as well :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 am 
Learner

still waiting for my parts... :salute:

....yeah, I wont be able to keep the dash command app while running the maxX. They both are pulling the signal from the canbus. There is only enough juice for one or the other. When I try to run both, the signal is severely delayed (press gas pedal....rpm signal does not register until a full two seconds later on both the maxX and the app....when I run just one or the other....we get a clean, responsive signal.

I guess anyone wanting to install a WON kit in the states better be ready to pay a premium...both in price...and wait time for the parts to get shipped. this is starting to piss me off. A return is about to get initiated with my credit card if I have no parts by Friday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next